Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Favorite thing that was a RIDICULOUS NCAA violation
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Favorite thing that was a RIDICULOUS NCAA violation
What thing that a school got caught doing is your favorite example of a ridiculous violation?

My pick: teams COULD provide bagels for their athletes to eat. But offer them peanut butter? A BIG no-no according to the NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020 11:15 PM by Erictelevision.)
12-22-2020 05:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Favorite thing that was a RIDICULOUS NCAA violation
GT got sanctioned for telling their Student Athletes not to lie to the NCAA. They also lost a conference championship because a player took $400 worth of clothes from a booster with whom he had a prior relationship.
12-22-2020 06:04 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Illinois got sanctioned in the 80's - among the charges: A recruit flew up from Florida in the winter. Didn't have a coat, an assistant coach LENT him a coat for him to use.
12-22-2020 06:14 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Clemson got slapped on the wrist because they allowed some recruits to get a second dessert at the football banquet one year.
12-22-2020 07:00 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Good thread idea
12-22-2020 07:44 PM
BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
In 2011, Boise St got sanctioned by the NCAA because some recruits were invited by players to sleep on the couches belonging to those players and did do so.
12-22-2020 09:33 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Is the incident I mention in the OP apocryphal? If not, which school was it?
12-22-2020 11:14 PM
Advertisement

pkptigers07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(12-22-2020 11:14 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Is the incident I mention in the OP apocryphal? If not, which school was it?
Prior to NCAA rules allowing unlimited meals for athletes, schools were allowed to provide “fruits, nut’s, and bagels”. There was an NCAA staff interpretation that said cream cheese, peanut butter, and other spreads were not permissible because that would change the bagel from a snack to a meal. At the time, I remember there being considerable discussion over whether peanut butter could be considered a nut which would make it permissible. I don’t recall whether the official interpretations that got all this started stemmed from a school or conference asking for an interp to clarify or if someone self reported a violation for providing peanut butter and cream cheese with the permissible bagels.
12-23-2020 03:46 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
If you have seen the movie Safety on Disney+, it was implied that because of the NCAA, no one could give the player's little brother a ride as he walked through the rain to get to school.

Not sure if that is really happened but it sounds like something the NCAA would regulate and prevent
12-23-2020 03:55 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-23-2020 03:55 PM)solohawks Wrote:  If you have seen the movie Safety on Disney+, it was implied that because of the NCAA, no one could give the player's little brother a ride as he walked through the rain to get to school.

Not sure if that is really happened but it sounds like something the NCAA would regulate and prevent

It really happened. Clemson's compliance folks had to work through a ton of red tape for RayRay to be able to keep Fahmarr. He was actually ruled ineligible by the NCAA in the beginning for things that coaches wives had done, but they relented when Clemson pushed the issue and reinstated him and granted a couple waivers.
12-23-2020 04:56 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
The NCAA cited Hawaii for an assistant basketball coach giving one of the players a second-hand iPad with a cracked screen. The player was ruled ineligible on grounds that “he received improper benefits as a student-athlete.” He was told he could continue practicing with the team but could not participate in games for a year. He subsequently announced that he was leaving the program to pursue a professional career, and is currently a pro in Europe.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 05:32 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
12-23-2020 05:27 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(12-23-2020 04:56 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 03:55 PM)solohawks Wrote:  If you have seen the movie Safety on Disney+, it was implied that because of the NCAA, no one could give the player's little brother a ride as he walked through the rain to get to school.

It really happened. Clemson's compliance folks had to work through a ton of red tape for RayRay to be able to keep Fahmarr. He was actually ruled ineligible by the NCAA in the beginning for things that coaches wives had done, but they relented when Clemson pushed the issue and reinstated him and granted a couple waivers.

Preventing people from helping a young kid literally walking in the rain sounds like something the NCAA would do, but I wanted to be fair and not just assume.

If there was a scene that defined the NCAA in a nutshell that was it
12-23-2020 05:40 PM
buckeye1022 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: tOSU, Toledo
Oklahoma football self reporting itself for "pasta in excess."
12-28-2020 04:01 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(12-28-2020 04:01 PM)buckeye1022 Wrote:  Oklahoma football self reporting itself for "pasta in excess."

I was just about to mention that:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...much-pasta

It ended up not being a violation, but the three players involved were asked to donate $3.83 each to the charity of their choice. They ended up paying $5 each for the privilege of eating too much pasta at a graduation dinner.

One of the athletes involved was Gabe Ikard, a former All-American and All-Big 12 player who spent parts of four seasons in the NFL. He now appears on Sirius XM radio's Big 12 channel.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020 04:20 PM by johnintx.)
12-28-2020 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.