Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rockets Face Undefeated Marshall on Wednesday
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Rockets Face Undefeated Marshall on Wednesday
Rockets will have a tough test Wednesday night at Marshall who is 4-0 after beating Ohio University today at home 81-67. The Herd also have a 86-69 victory at Wright State who blew out BG on the road today. As Pono pointed out in the UMKC game post, the offense seems somewhat out of sync and I think a lot of that has to do with the coaching staff trying to determine a set rotation after Jackson, Milner, Littleson, Rollins and Saunders (off the bench). With Edu out for the season, they need to figure out which player or combination of players can fill the void which will be very difficult to do, especially on the defensive end when we have to match up with quality post players. It will be interesting to see how TK mixes and matches Kommagum, Acunzo, Marenka and hopefully Shumate if he gets his eligibility granted on Wednesday.
12-13-2020 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pono Online
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Rockets Face Undefeated Marshall on Wednesday
(12-13-2020 10:55 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  Rockets will have a tough test Wednesday night at Marshall who is 4-0 after beating Ohio University today at home 81-67. The Herd also have a 86-69 victory at Wright State who blew out BG on the road today. As Pono pointed out in the UMKC game post, the offense seems somewhat out of sync and I think a lot of that has to do with the coaching staff trying to determine a set rotation after Jackson, Milner, Littleson, Rollins and Saunders (off the bench). With Edu out for the season, they need to figure out which player or combination of players can fill the void which will be very difficult to do, especially on the defensive end when we have to match up with quality post players. It will be interesting to see how TK mixes and matches Kommagum, Acunzo, Marenka and hopefully Shumate if he gets his eligibility granted on Wednesday.

marshall is pretty good. we'd match up fine with edu, without him they can go bigger on us. they got a wide body guy who will be a problem if he gets deep touches. still, they also play pretty fast and are mostly guard oriented. i expect shumate will be eligible to play, but have no idea what to expect.
12-14-2020 05:14 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
6'9" 350 (everyone gets 15 from lockdown eating) and 6'4" 250 and a 7 footer, does "match-up" really apply, lol? My vote would be "hey, new guys, guess who you got?"

I think run-around or hope the refs are strict might be more apt. An unexpected big night from Alderson and big nights from Littleson in the first game and Knapke in the second helped last year. They have both their big scorers back. Even without the current injury, Edu didn't seem Edu in the time he did play. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Not sure he'd have been much help here.

Looking at their roster, they're still pretty young but with a lot of playing time returning. They have something building there.

I don't think we're going to win the paint. :)
12-14-2020 07:40 AM
wetsu Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MAC schools
(12-14-2020 07:40 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  6'9" 350 (everyone gets 15 from lockdown eating) and 6'4" 250 and a 7 footer, does "match-up" really apply, lol? My vote would be "hey, new guys, guess who you got?"

I think run-around or hope the refs are strict might be more apt. An unexpected big night from Alderson and big nights from Littleson in the first game and Knapke in the second helped last year. They have both their big scorers back. Even without the current injury, Edu didn't seem Edu in the time he did play. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Not sure he'd have been much help here.

Looking at their roster, they're still pretty young but with a lot of playing time returning. They have something building there.

Of those Clydesdales only the seven-footer plays appreciable minutes. That's not to say that they still won't win the paint.
12-14-2020 03:56 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2020 03:56 PM)wetsu Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 07:40 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  6'9" 350 (everyone gets 15 from lockdown eating) and 6'4" 250 and a 7 footer, does "match-up" really apply, lol? My vote would be "hey, new guys, guess who you got?"

Of those Clydesdales only the seven-footer plays appreciable minutes. That's not to say that they still won't win the paint.

If they play that 3-guard rotation, I think they play into our strengths. It's not the 6'4s and 6'7" got me wondering. It's the 5'11". Are we quick enough? If we match-up, I think he'll have to put in his bigs.
12-14-2020 05:33 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(12-14-2020 05:33 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 03:56 PM)wetsu Wrote:  

If they play that 3-guard rotation, I think they play into our strengths. It's not the 6'4s and 6'7" got me wondering. It's the 5'11". Are we quick enough? If we match-up, I think he'll have to put in his bigs.
Is the game going to be on TV?
12-15-2020 04:47 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2020 04:47 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Is the game going to be on TV?

website says Conference USA TV. I don't even know where that is or if it's streamed.
12-15-2020 05:26 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-15-2020 05:26 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 04:47 PM)rocketpaul Wrote:  Is the game going to be on TV?

website says Conference USA TV. I don't even know where that is or if it's streamed.

You can usually get a link on the home team’s athletic site.
12-15-2020 06:10 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

#25 is listed a Freshman. Someone needs to count the rings on that tree.
[Image: MU_vs_Ohio_University_MBB_12_13_2020_271...format=jpg]
12-15-2020 08:02 PM
UTfanBGalum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT
Link to Confernce USA Marshall TV site:
https://conferenceusa.com/watch/default....h=marshall

It is listed as $6.95 to get a 24-hour pass.
12-15-2020 10:26 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

thanks!
12-16-2020 07:33 AM
Advertisement

HerdAlum83 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
Herd fan here. I see some of you were concerned about our size, however, I'm not sure that needs to be a major concern for your team.

Our starters are

6-3
6-9
5-11
6-5
6-8

The 6-8 kid is a freshman who is still getting his feet wet. He's looked good in spurts and lost in others, not a big body but he is long. The 6-9 guy is Jannson Williams, a senior but, again not a big-bodied guy. Offensively he is going to play at the perimeter when he does score inside it isn't on post moves but instead on lobs coming from the pick and roll. Really athletic, can stroke it from 3 if he gets going but he isn't going to post anyone up. He does, however, have really good shot-blocking instincts on the defensive end. He's currently #2 all-time in school history in blocked shots.

Now we do have a couple of true bigs that come off the bench in 7-0 Goran Miladonivic, a sophomore from Montenegro, and 6-9 Iran Bennett who runs at about 340lbs. Neither are big scorers but both can be lane cloggers and in fact both were instrumental in our win against Wright State. Wright State was pounding us inside for most of the first half until we subbed those two in and then they were unable to muster much offensively in the paint after that. But, a lot of what both of them do when the match ups are right for them do not show up on the stat sheet. Also, Bennett has had a foot injury the last two ball games and hasn't played, so I'm not sure if he will be available against your Rockets tonight or not.
12-16-2020 09:33 AM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Looks like Shumate will play tonight, as the NCAA approved the blanket waiver.
12-16-2020 05:53 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not watching the pay stream, but looking at live stats.

UT leads at the half 42-39.

Rollins & Acunzo leading the scoring. Rollins leading the rebounding. Marreon 2-10 shooting and 4 turnovers. Shumate playing and has 4 points.
12-16-2020 06:54 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-16-2020 06:54 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  I'm not watching the pay stream, but looking at live stats.

Rollins & Acunzo leading the scoring. Rollins leading the rebounding. Marreon 2-10 shooting and 4 turnovers. Shumate playing and has 4 points.

Man...Marreon just continues to have brutally slow starts.

I know this will be somewhat controversial, but at some point do you just have him come off the bench? Not as any kind of punishment, but rather as a way to slow the game down a bit for him...
12-16-2020 06:58 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-16-2020 06:58 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(12-16-2020 06:54 PM)northcoastRocket Wrote:  I'm not watching the pay stream, but looking at live stats.

Man...Marreon just continues to have brutally slow starts.

I know this will be somewhat controversial, but at some point do you just have him come off the bench? Not as any kind of punishment, but rather as a way to slow the game down a bit for him...

Seen it work before. Got to do SOMETHING no? Kid has to be suffering.

Same here, can only look at the stats. Marshall shooting horrendously. Our D or just bad night shooting?
12-16-2020 07:04 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

The shooting numbers off the bench are amazing.
12-16-2020 07:45 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

lol
12-16-2020 07:50 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Why the heck are Shumate and Jackson the ones taking the shots? They're o for ohio from the 3.
12-16-2020 07:51 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

From up 10 at 80-70
MJ missed jumper
Rolling missed 3
shumate missed 3
shumate missed 3
mj missed 3
12-16-2020 07:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.