Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Football Bubble?
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
AAC Football Bubble?
With the Marlins and the MLB struggling against Covid today... I think the traveling sports is starting to unravel.

We will see if the NBA bubble idea works. So far it seems like the best solution.

Can the AAC move all the players to something similar to the NBA bubble?

It sounds ridiculous and crazy but we risk losing a ton of money. So... maybe there was a contingency plan that had a conference bubble concept.
07-27-2020 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
RE: AAC Football Bubble?
(07-27-2020 01:49 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  With the Marlins and the MLB struggling against Covid today... I think the traveling sports is starting to unravel.

We will see if the NBA bubble idea works. So far it seems like the best solution.

It sounds ridiculous and crazy but we risk losing a ton of money. So... maybe there was a contingency plan that had a conference bubble concept.

First, is the MLB talking about shutting things down, or did they just cancel a couple of games when too many players were out? i.e. any discussions of stopping?

Second, football bubble would be tough. Basketball works because teams can play a bunch of games over a short amount of time. 12 football games takes 3 months.
07-27-2020 02:19 PM
IamYourDad Offline
Banned

I Root For: UCF
It's ridiculous and not possible. College football players are also students, many of which want to stay close to their family at a time like this. Each university needs to follow the regulations and all we can do is hope for the best
07-27-2020 02:34 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

It's costing the NBA 180 million I read to host it at Disney and house the players for 3 months. That's for roughly like 350 players and then a much smaller support staff and coaches. Each team only gets like 30 people total, and that's 22 teams 6 of which go home very soon after playing 8 games and not making the playoffs and it will be cut down each week or so after that.

It would cost an enormous amount of money to put up a football team and their TV deal isn't like the NBA's. The NBA gets 600 million for just for each team playing 8 games and meeting the TV deal minimum threshold of games. So even though it's expensive they still will make money and more than anything it's about finishing the season and keeping the sport viable and as a trial run in case this has to be done next season. .

Even with all the protocols they have already caught players inviting girls into the bubble or going to strip clubs when they got family funeral emergency leave. They will be fortunate to not have an outbreak as stupid as some of them are risking a 180 million dollar enterprise and people uprooting their life to get chicken wings at a strip club as the excuse. That was a 33 year old, not a stupid 23 year old. I can't even imagine how badly that would go with 100 college age dudes even if they could try.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 03:51 PM by StillJonesing.)
07-27-2020 03:37 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2020 03:37 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  It's costing the NBA 180 million I read to host it at Disney and house the players for 3 months. That's for roughly like 350 players and then a much smaller support staff and coaches. Each team only gets like 30 people total, and that's 22 teams 6 of which go home very soon after playing 8 games and not making the playoffs and it will be cut down each week or so after that.

It would cost an enormous amount of money to put up a football team and their TV deal isn't like the NBA's. The NBA gets 600 million for just for each team playing 8 games and meeting the TV deal minimum threshold of games. So even though it's expensive they still will make money and more than anything it's about finishing the season and keeping the sport viable and as a trial run in case this has to be done next season. .

Even with all the protocols they have already caught players inviting girls into the bubble or going to strip clubs when they got family funeral emergency leave. They will be fortunate to not have an outbreak as stupid as some of them are risking a 180 million dollar enterprise and people uprooting their life to get chicken wings at a strip club as the excuse. That was a 33 year old, not a stupid 23 year old. I can't even imagine how badly that would go with 100 college age dudes even if they could try.

UCF is one of the largest universities in the nation. If UCF decides to go online only for Fall classes that leaves about 7,000 on campus beds going unused.

UCF could literally host all the players and coaches on our campus.
07-27-2020 04:09 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(07-27-2020 03:37 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  It's costing the NBA 180 million I read to host it at Disney and house the players for 3 months. That's for roughly like 350 players and then a much smaller support staff and coaches. Each team only gets like 30 people total, and that's 22 teams 6 of which go home very soon after playing 8 games and not making the playoffs and it will be cut down each week or so after that.

And they can't get the players to actually comply with the bubble... Several have been placed into quarantine because they have broken the bubble, including crossing the street to get food delivered.
07-27-2020 04:13 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(07-27-2020 04:13 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

And they can't get the players to actually comply with the bubble... Several have been placed into quarantine because they have broken the bubble, including crossing the street to get food delivered.
We all need hot wings from a titty bar every now and then.
07-27-2020 04:15 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(07-27-2020 02:19 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 01:49 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  With the Marlins and the MLB struggling against Covid today... I think the traveling sports is starting to unravel.

First, is the MLB talking about shutting things down, or did they just cancel a couple of games when too many players were out? i.e. any discussions of stopping?

Second, football bubble would be tough. Basketball works because teams can play a bunch of games over a short amount of time. 12 football games takes 3 months.

1) Everyone is reacting right now. It sounds like the owners want to continue. It’s on the players union to really complain about player safety and demand more precautions or end the season.

2) All we need is UCF to cancel all in person classes and close the dorms. UCF is large enough to host all the players and staff with 6,500-7,000 on campus beds. Convert the other fields to football. Multiple classroom buildings open to be used as meeting rooms and coaching offices.
07-27-2020 04:58 PM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
and a hurricane happens.....
07-27-2020 05:53 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

(07-27-2020 04:15 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

Best reply of 2020... and titty bar wings are delicious.
07-27-2020 07:51 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

Sounds like a plan to me.
07-27-2020 07:54 PM
Advertisement

8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

(07-27-2020 07:54 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

[Image: giphy.gif]
07-27-2020 08:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(07-27-2020 08:17 PM)8BitPirate Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 07:54 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  

[Image: giphy.gif]
TO PICK UP NIU FOR OUR TICKET TO THE AAC BUBBLE?! OH JOY, A WONDEROUS DAY!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
07-27-2020 09:00 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
I wonder if the AAC basketball teams could do something like weekend games at one location.

Let's say all the teams arrive in Houston a week before the conference games are played. The Alamodome is set with six courts. After a week of quarantine and online university classes, the teams play each other like an AAU weekend. Teams may play a couple of games a day.

If universities are to play sports, it may be something like this.

The week after AAC plays their games, the SEC or Big XII uses the courts for a similar kind of setup.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 09:45 PM by chess.)
07-27-2020 09:44 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
AAC Football Bubble?
(07-27-2020 09:44 PM)chess Wrote:  I wonder if the AAC basketball teams could do something like weekend games at one location.

Let's say all the teams arrive in Houston a week before the conference games are played. The Alamodome is set with six courts. After a week of quarantine and online university classes, the teams play each other like an AAU weekend. Teams may play a couple of games a day.

If universities are to play sports, it may be something like this.

The week after AAC plays their games, the SEC or Big XII uses the courts for a similar kind of setup.

I’m sure there are some arenas in Houston
07-27-2020 09:59 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS

College is different and hopefully the armature athletes are smarter tha the professional ones.

As far as the Marlins go, they are idiots for going out... Everyone on the team was tested and showed no sign of infections, for what they are getting payed the solution is simple, pay them for the 2 games played and suspend them without pay for the rest of the season... I for one would not risk my annual salary for a night on the town.

Folks, you cant get sick if you follow the proper protocols, but then again, that is a major issue these days... No one wants to follow rules or laws for that matter.
07-27-2020 10:15 PM
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
(07-27-2020 02:19 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  

According to local sports radio there is talk of moving the game from Philly to the Bronx where the Phillies are scheduled to play next.

I haven't watched any games so I don't know if that is a real consideration.
07-27-2020 10:19 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
AAC Football Bubble?
At this rate you will need some sort of bubble or bubbles. The costs would kill us though. I just don’t see college football happening. It sucks because Memphis has a great team.

For the time being, MLS, NHL, and NBA should be fine. MLB is already blowing up I expect the NFL will also.

I hope I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-28-2020 08:22 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-27-2020 04:09 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

UCF is one of the largest universities in the nation. If UCF decides to go online only for Fall classes that leaves about 7,000 on campus beds going unused.

UCF could literally host all the players and coaches on our campus.

You are talking about hosting like 100 people at least of players/coaches/support staff per team at a minimum, and they can't even play but once a week. It's not like they can knock out 12 games in a month like you might could in hoops, it's to physical. The money just isn't there, it's hardly there for NBA basketball, certainly not AAC sports. I just can't see college sports especially at this level being worth the effort without ticket revenue.

The NBA has about 350 players total and that will decrease quickly down to 270 after a couple weeks, and many are real professionals with wife's and children that at least might understand the stakes for their career if it doesn't work and future salary. Football would be like 900 probably 18-23 year olds many horned up knuckleheads. No way you could police keeping girls out of there or stupidity IMO. The NBA barely can do it when the players have millions on the line of personal wealth and you still got some sneeking off to strip clubs.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2020 03:23 PM by StillJonesing.)
07-28-2020 03:19 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
I have a feeling the only way to have a college football season is to test and quarantine the teams. You basically need to create a college football bubble. lol....Good luck with that. That aint gunna be easy with around 14,000 players and coaches.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2020 03:57 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-28-2020 03:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.