Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When the P5 inevitably secede from the NCAA
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
When the P5 inevitably secede from the NCAA
When the P5 breaks away from the NCAA to do their own thing, how do you expect the alignment to shake out? My guess:

PACIFIC DIVISION

Washington
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Utah
BYU
Colorado
Oklahoma
Texas

SOUTH DIVISION

Texas Tech
Houston
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Florida
Florida St.
Miami

CENTRAL DIVISION

Nebraska
Kansas
Missouri
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Notre Dame
Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St.

EASTERN DIVISION

Boston College
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Penn St.
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
UNC
Duke
Clemson
South Carolina
Kentucky
Louisville
Tennessee
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 03:58 AM by Erictelevision.)
05-06-2020 03:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MAN4UAB Online
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: When the P5 inevitably secede from the NCAA
Hasn’t that already occurred with the FBS? All the other divisions have playoffs. Also, getting the same number of home games may be a problem for some teams.
05-06-2020 06:19 AM
Herd6993 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
I keep hearing this, but why would they? They are establishing all of the rules, control the payoffs, control the NCAA basketball tournament, the G-5 helps with scheduling/ gives them wins, and they can hide under the non-profit umbrella.

If they leave, you will see the IRS at the door.
05-06-2020 08:30 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(05-06-2020 08:30 AM)Herd6993 Wrote:  I keep hearing this, but why would they? They are establishing all of the rules, control the payoffs, control the NCAA basketball tournament, the G-5 helps with scheduling/ gives them wins, and they can hide under the non-profit umbrella.

Right. First they pushed 1-A/1-AA (FBS/FCS), then P5/non-p5. They control all the bowls to the point even their mediocre teams find landing spots.
05-06-2020 09:13 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-06-2020 08:30 AM)Herd6993 Wrote:  I keep hearing this, but why would they? They are establishing all of the rules, control the payoffs, control the NCAA basketball tournament, the G-5 helps with scheduling/ gives them wins, and they can hide under the non-profit umbrella.

The NCAA keeps the vast majority of the NCAA tourney money. There's a billion a year that the P5 creates 90-99% of, but gets only a minority of.

There's half a billion reasons to do it.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 09:23 AM by bullet.)
05-06-2020 09:23 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Yeah, I keep reading about a P5 split--but Im not sure there would be all that much support for a split now that the P5 has autonomy. There might be more money for a P5 only basketball Tournament---but its also possible any difference might be marginal if the tournament loses a large hunk of the audience due being far less inclusive (thus, the overall pie shrinks so much that any gain ends up being fairly marginal). The other issue is that the P5 would have to create some body that performs all the functions that the NCAA currently performs. That will cost them money as well as potentially opening the P5 up to new anti-trust liabilities. Im just not sure there is really all that much to gain from a split now that the P5 already has the right to enact most any rule they wish in the areas they care most about. That said---stranger things have happened.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 09:41 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-06-2020 09:27 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
There's no impetus for the P5 to leave that didn't exist decades ago. In fact with the autonomy there is less.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 09:28 AM by EigenEagle.)
05-06-2020 09:27 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-06-2020 09:27 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Yeah, I keep reading about a P5 split--but Im not sure there would be all that much support for a split now that the P5 has autonomy. There might be more money for a P5 only basketball Tournament---but its also possible any difference might be marginal if the tournament loses a large hunk of the audience due being far less inclusive (thus, the overall pie shrinks so much that any gain ends up being fairly marginal). The other issue is that the P5 would have to create some body that performs all the functions that the NCAA currently performs. That will cost them money as well as potentially opening the P5 up to new anti-trust liabilities. Im just not sure there is really all that much to gain from a split now that the P5 already has the right to enact most any rule they wish in the areas they care most about. That said---stranger things have happened.

This is my main point for a split not happening. no one wants that role. its much easier to complain than agree, compromise, and most important enforce everyone in the group. lets be clear all of the P5 are not equal. the top is always going to pull the bulk of any group that formed. Now, lets take a quick snap shot of the present moment, the 5, P5 conference leaders cant agree on when to bring back football. the current setup gives them autonomy, and preferential treatment. what better model could there be to split to?
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 10:37 AM by balanced_view.)
05-06-2020 10:21 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-06-2020 09:27 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Yeah, I keep reading about a P5 split--but Im not sure there would be all that much support for a split now that the P5 has autonomy.

The P5 has no incentive to split and several incentives to stay. Heck I would think that a P5-only hoops tournament would be worth less money, a lot less, than the current tournament. They ain't splitting.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 10:22 AM by quo vadis.)
05-06-2020 10:21 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(05-06-2020 09:27 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Yeah, I keep reading about a P5 split--but Im not sure there would be all that much support for a split now that the P5 has autonomy. There might be more money for a P5 only basketball Tournament---but its also possible any difference might be marginal if the tournament loses a large hunk of the audience due being far less inclusive (thus, the overall pie shrinks so much that any gain ends up being fairly marginal). The other issue is that the P5 would have to create some body that performs all the functions that the NCAA currently performs. That will cost them money as well as potentially opening the P5 up to new anti-trust liabilities. Im just not sure there is really all that much to gain from a split now that the P5 already has the right to enact most any rule they wish in the areas they care most about. That said---stranger things have happened.
This. Specifically since 10% of the NCAA revenues go to stage the championships themselves across all divisions, so even if the Power 5 formed something new, about 10% would still go to stage the championships.

The startup costs are enormous. The SEC and Big XII sponsor less championships than B1G and Pac-12, so are they going to add sports or will they just not absorb the costs to coordinate and run those championships they don't sponsor? Where will they be HQ'd? Who will be the CEO? Those 60+ chancellors and presidents are not really going to agree on anything new, as opposed to what is currently in place. And that doesn't even account for the governors chiming in during the formation process too.
05-06-2020 11:04 AM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
(05-06-2020 03:57 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  When the P5 breaks away from the NCAA to do their own thing, how do you expect the alignment to shake out? My guess:

PACIFIC DIVISION

Washington
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Utah
BYU
Colorado
Oklahoma
Texas

SOUTH DIVISION

Texas Tech
Houston
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Florida
Florida St.
Miami

CENTRAL DIVISION

Nebraska
Kansas
Missouri
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Notre Dame
Ohio St
Michigan
Michigan St.

EASTERN DIVISION

Boston College
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Penn St.
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
UNC
Duke
Clemson
South Carolina
Kentucky
Louisville
Tennessee
05-06-2020 12:14 PM
Advertisement

pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
I do think this looks great ... but the numbers in my opinion will be even... so it’s 14 or 12 per region which could add the AAC
05-06-2020 12:15 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I don't foresee a split.
05-06-2020 12:24 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
No
05-06-2020 12:59 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

Not really.

I feel pretty sure that the NAIA would be more than happy to serve as the umbrella organization for far less of a cut than what the NCAA takes.
05-06-2020 01:09 PM
Inkblot Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Oklahoma State
(05-06-2020 09:23 AM)bullet Wrote:  

The NCAA keeps the vast majority of the NCAA tourney money. There's a billion a year that the P5 creates 90-99% of, but gets only a minority of.

Seems like this would be a clear-cut case of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.
05-06-2020 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
A breakaway from the NCAA does not mean realignment. In fact it makes realignment less likely. All energy would be focused on getting the new structure up, not on realigning the pieces. Each conference is still a competing entity. But realignment would be off the table, as the last thing these conferences would want is to break the unanimity.

Would BYU come along? Would the Big East be part of it? Hard to say, a big maybe. I very much doubt either the AAC or MWC would be part of the move initially. Their voices (or others ) would not want to be heard. A new higher standard for admission would probably be imposed and schools admitted individually as Independents rather than as whole conferences (Big East excepted). That might force a little realignment for a conference to move as a group, dropping those not willing or able to meet the new standards and adding replacements who will meet such standards. But we can only guess until an organization actually forms. If it is just P5, will they really want any G5 members? Too many unanswerable questions.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 04:37 PM by Stugray2.)
05-06-2020 03:21 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(05-06-2020 09:27 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  There might be more money for a P5 only basketball Tournament

There's no need to have a P5-only basketball tournament.

A P5-led breakaway group could organize its own basketball tournament, distribute the profits to the participating teams instead of the NCAA, and invite some teams not in the breakaway group to play in their tournament.

The NCAA has a rule that the teams they invite to the men's basketball tournament are not allowed to play in any competing postseason tournament, but that rule is illegal and would not survive a court challenge if they tried to prevent NCAA teams from playing in the P5-sponsored tournament. The NIT sued to challenge that rule several years ago, and the NCAA had to buy the NIT to make the lawsuit go away before the court invalidated the NCAA rule.

If you are, for example, Gonzaga, and you have invitations to both (a) an NCAA tournament without P5 teams, and (b) a P5-sponsored tournament that invites both the best P5 teams and the best non-P5 teams, then you will choose option (b) every single time.
05-06-2020 03:47 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-06-2020 01:11 PM)Inkblot Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 09:23 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Seems like this would be a clear-cut case of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Exactly. I would not only not be interested in their tournament but I would refuse to watch or support in any way the new league in any sport just because they ruined March Madness out of greed and I would wish horrible things upon them.

I could see them push for a third subdivision of DI football.
05-06-2020 03:49 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Death to the AAC schools

- This board
05-06-2020 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.