Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bid stealer?
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Bid stealer?
I figured Northern Iowa would have a great shot for an automatic bid if they got upset, by say Loyola, in the MVC tournament. They had a 25-5 record going in. I didn't expect them to lose their first game to Drake today by 21 points. I think their chances of stealing a bid from a major conference school is now pretty iffy. Their NET ranking was 36, before the loss, but I am sure it will drop quite a bit. I guess their coach and adminstration now have 9 days to do a lot of "lobbying". One argument, the worst team in their conference won at Rupp Arena.
03-06-2020 04:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Bid stealer?
Without studying their schedule and seeing how much their NET ranking drops, I think the committee usually does take a mid-major or 2 like UNI. If they get in, I see them in the play-in game, to "prove" they belong.
03-06-2020 04:22 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Lunardi just updated his bracket. He has UNI as the last team in, playing a play-in game in Dayton. Assuming his prediction is 100% right, at this moment, it is still quite likely they will be knocked out sometime before next Sunday by another tournament upset.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2020 04:50 PM by mjs.)
03-06-2020 04:43 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I thought UNI's loss was the opening #2 seed Loyola and Porter Moser needed to get an automatic NCAA bid. So instead #7 Valpo beats Loyola. Well those are 2 things that can't happen in the Sun Belt this year- i.e. the #1 and #2 seeds losing to the quarterfinals. Sure glad we have the current format for this season. Next season we go back to a more traditional tournament format. This first 4 teams get byes and seeds 5 through 12 have a "play-in" game.
03-07-2020 12:13 AM
Advertisement

PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(03-07-2020 12:13 AM)mjs Wrote:  I thought UNI's loss was the opening #2 seed Loyola and Porter Moser needed to get an automatic NCAA bid. So instead #7 Valpo beats Loyola. Well those are 2 things that can't happen in the Sun Belt this year- i.e. the #1 and #2 seeds losing to the quarterfinals. Sure glad we have the current format for this season. Next season we go back to a more traditional tournament format. This first 4 teams get byes and seeds 5 through 12 have a "play-in" game.

Speaking of next season’s SBC Tournament, what is the status on a possible move to Pensacola?
03-07-2020 09:47 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2020 09:47 AM)PTJR Wrote:  
(03-07-2020 12:13 AM)mjs Wrote:  I thought UNI's loss was the opening #2 seed Loyola and Porter Moser needed to get an automatic NCAA bid. So instead #7 Valpo beats Loyola. Well those are 2 things that can't happen in the Sun Belt this year- i.e. the #1 and #2 seeds losing to the quarterfinals. Sure glad we have the current format for this season. Next season we go back to a more traditional tournament format. This first 4 teams get byes and seeds 5 through 12 have a "play-in" game.

Speaking of next season’s SBC Tournament, what is the status on a possible move to Pensacola?

It’s official. Next five years in Pensacola.
03-07-2020 09:57 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Well we can argue whether Utah State is a bid stealer, but the main bracket guys had them in the last 4 out before today's championship game with San Diego State. So I would vote yes. What an unbelievable game, as Utah State pulls it out with a late 3. So obviously, both get in. Only question is if SDS is still a one seed overall.
03-07-2020 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.