Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greg Jones
Bookmark and Share
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Greg Jones
Apparently will transfer closer to his NYC home. Could be about playing time as well. I liked some of his intangibles and wish he stayed a Duke but if we are going to lose anyone from that class he’s probably the most expendable.

For various reasons a grad transfer big makes a ton of sense- one without a history of injuries please. Rowe’s track record on jucos isn’t great and I can’t see a 4 year red shirt transfer based on Lou’s job status. Next year is too important. Go find someone like the grad transfer who played a role at Hofstra this past season.
04-15-2019 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
RE: Greg Jones
(04-15-2019 09:27 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Apparently will transfer closer to his NYC home. Could be about playing time as well. I liked some of his intangibles and wish he stayed a Duke but if we are going to lose anyone from that class he’s probably the most expendable.

For various reasons a grad transfer big makes a ton of sense- one without a history of injuries please. Rowe’s track record on jucos isn’t great and I can’t see a 4 year red shirt transfer based on Lou’s job status. Next year is too important. Go find someone like the grad transfer who played a role at Hofstra this past season.

Isn't he from Richmond? Or at least went to HS in Richmond?

Never really impressed by him on either end of the floor, yet I'd rather not have a bigger body transfer out when we don't have a bunch of front court depth.
04-15-2019 10:43 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
Greg Jones
Apparently urbach may be staying. Sorry to see Greg go and I wish him the best. Would really love to see urbach stay.
04-16-2019 04:41 AM
dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU
If he is indeed leaving, that opens up another spot...we need to go get Zac Ervin. He is from SWVA (Gate City, played along side Mac McClung freshman at Georgetown go youtube him) Ervin just decomited from Wofford when their coach left from Va Tech. We originally offered Ervin.

I didn’t know Greg Jones was from NYC because he played ball at John Marhsall in Richmond
04-16-2019 05:21 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Good luck to Greg. Enjoyed watching him play for JMU.
04-16-2019 05:36 AM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(04-16-2019 05:21 AM)dukes13 Wrote:  If he is indeed leaving, that opens up another spot...we need to go get Zac Ervin. He is from SWVA (Gate City, played along side Mac McClung freshman at Georgetown go youtube him) Ervin just decomited from Wofford when their coach left from Va Tech. We originally offered Ervin.

I didn’t know Greg Jones was from NYC because he played ball at John Marhsall in Richmond

He is a really talented player. I didn’t realize he decommitted but you’re 100% right, Rowe should pursue this kid. He would be a huge addition to an already stacked class.
04-16-2019 07:32 AM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
Today's DNR; The last paragraph summarizes scholarship situation:

Dukes’ Jones Plans To Transfer

HARRISONBURG — James Madison sophomore forward Greg Jones intends to transfer, Dukes coach Louis Rowe said Monday.

Jones, a 6- 7 forward who attended John Marshall in Richmond, played in 33 games for JMU this season, starting 13. He averaged 2.7 points and 2.7 rebounds.

“He is a great kid,” Rowe said via text message. “He sacrificed a lot and did everything I asked of him on and off the court.”

JMU is expected to bring in five recruits in the Class of 2019, including Michael Christmas, Julien Wooden and Mike Fowler, who can all play the same position as Jones.

With Jones departure and five incoming freshmen, the Dukes now have 13 scholarships accounted for, meeting the NCAA Division I limit. Previously, it was likely one player already on the roster would become a preferred walk-on next season.
04-16-2019 07:49 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

Best of luck to Greg Jones, hope it works out for him and he finds what he is looking for. I like that Greg always seemed to have a great attitude and always hustled giving max effort. I think his skillset makes it hard for him to be a starter at JMU but provided nice bench depth for 8-10 min per game. He is not quite big enough to play inside effectively, not quite quick enough or have enough ball skills to play effectively on the perimeter, plays solid D but not really a shutdown defender. I also think he saw the writing on the wall with the incoming class + flowers that he would likely lose his playing time as those guys appear to be more athletic and better players. Hopefully, he finds a landing spot where he fits in well.

I am pleased to see that it now sounds like Urbach may be staying, can always use a shooter.
04-16-2019 07:51 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Glad to hear Urbach is likely to stay...maybe he becomes a player down the line. Certainly seems like a good shooter who knows how to play; i.e., has basketball IQ. Best of luck to Greg Jones!
04-16-2019 10:25 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

It will be interesting to see where Jones goes. The end of season heart to hearts have been conducted and we don’t know who wants out vs who is pushed out.
This is how college basketball is and how it has been for many years.
Musical chairs in hopes of finding a better situation.

Previous rhetoric centered on a problem with coach/player relationships.
Louis Rowe is not immune.
In 3 years we see premature losses of
Devontae Morgan
Vince Holmes
Terrence Johnson
Geron Scissum
Jonathan Hicklin
Greg Jones
I don’t think Alex Shultz counts - no scholly?
04-16-2019 02:03 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

Well to be fair, these are guys that are leaving likely due to lack of PT. Brady was losing future professional players
04-16-2019 02:06 PM
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Brady lost core guys and that was his undoing. Rowe has yet to. Still don’t agree with running off Morgan- was a mistake.
04-16-2019 02:39 PM
Dutch Duke Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-16-2019 02:39 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Brady lost core guys and that was his undoing. Rowe has yet to. Still don’t agree with running off Morgan- was a mistake.
Running Morgan out is the one real blemish on Rowe. He ran him out to find a spot for Scissom who never played. Morgan never played again since he had already burned his redshirt in transferring from Butler and pissed off high school coaches in Morgan’s Hometown of Tampa in the process. A really bad scene all the way around and one of the moves that highlights the downside of hiring a first time head coach.
04-16-2019 07:47 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I never got the Morgan thing- he was Rowe’s style of player IMO and would have provided sorely lacking athleticism on that roster which had way too many of the same types of guys. Would have loved to see what he could have done as a redshirt senior. When given a chance with Brady (which wasn’t often after Matt talked him up in a red shirt season) he had some good moments in defense causing turnovers. Was an early misstep for Rowe and agreed a bad look.
04-16-2019 10:25 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Morgan could not shoot 50% from point blank. I have never seen a worse shooter on scholarship in my 50 years of watching college basketball. He had several chances to prove himself and in witnessing those chances, he showed he did not belong on scholarship at a division 1 school.

You can certainly find fault with some of Lou’s coaching decisions but recruiting over Morgan should not be one of them.
04-16-2019 11:05 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Very limited shooting- agreed there but he could cause problems defensively, get to the hole and catch the alley oop. Could have helped the team as a senior. I think we was recruited over in part because Rowe was trying to balance out the classes - with Lukics relatively productively Senior season I couldn’t really find an obvious guy who would have gone in Morgan’s place but still I felt for the kid- and obviously would have preferred him to Johnson or holmes.
04-16-2019 11:29 PM
Advertisement

#YEEHAWDUKES Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(04-16-2019 07:47 PM)Dutch Duke Wrote:  
(04-16-2019 02:39 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Brady lost core guys and that was his undoing. Rowe has yet to. Still don’t agree with running off Morgan- was a mistake.
Running Morgan out is the one real blemish on Rowe. He ran him out to find a spot for Scissom who never played. Morgan never played again since he had already burned his redshirt in transferring from Butler and pissed off high school coaches in Morgan’s Hometown of Tampa in the process. A really bad scene all the way around and one of the moves that highlights the downside of hiring a first time head coach.

I’d consider his 30% win percentage to be worse than recruiting over a player
04-17-2019 05:51 AM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
(04-16-2019 02:06 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Well to be fair, these are guys that are leaving likely due to lack of PT. Brady was losing future professional players

So Brady was this awful guy that was losing "future professional players" and "core guys" but still managed to win 20+ games per year (yes I know, not every season). How bad of a coach is Rowe if he's retaining all of this "talent" but can't even have a .500 season with two free victories against D3 schools?
04-17-2019 06:41 AM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

(04-17-2019 06:41 AM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  
(04-16-2019 02:06 PM)Centdukesfan Wrote:  Well to be fair, these are guys that are leaving likely due to lack of PT. Brady was losing future professional players

So Brady was this awful guy that was losing "future professional players" and "core guys" but still managed to win 20+ games per year (yes I know, not every season). How bad of a coach is Rowe if he's retaining all of this "talent" but can't even have a .500 season with two free victories against D3 schools?

quotes arent needed - Charles Cooke is bouncing between the D league and the heat roster. He is a legitimate professional talent. Andre nation was arguably more talented but Brady couldnt manage the kid.
04-17-2019 06:51 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Congrats to Greg Jones (and all the others) who were included in the CAA Academic Honor Roll for Fall semester 2018... https://jmusports.com/news/2019/4/2/stud...-2018.aspx

His teammates... Zach Jacobs, Deshon Parker, Cam Smith, and Devon Flowers...were included as well.

Practically the entire Volleyball, Lacrosse, Women's Soccer and Cross Country teams made it as well.

Well done, all.

01-ncaabbs
04-17-2019 06:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.