Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA MB Coaching Changes
Bookmark and Share
Dukes84 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
NCAA MB Coaching Changes
Saw where Jamion Christian took the GW job from Siena. Believe he was a candidate at JMU. Of course, last year, Sanchez, another candidate, took the Charlotte job.

One of the names floated for the St. Joe's opening is Martin Inglesby of DE.

Bryce Drew of Vanderbilt let go, as well as Avery Johnson at Alabama.
03-22-2019 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukes84 Offline
All American

RE: NCAA MB Coaching Changes
JMU played Drew's Valpo team as I recall and he had a stellar record there. He goes to Vanderbilt and gets fired after 3 seasons, each of which was progressively worst with the last one resulting in an 0-18 conference record. Past success doesn't always result in continued success....that's what makes this sort of thing interesting.
03-22-2019 10:51 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(03-22-2019 10:51 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  JMU played Drew's Valpo team as I recall and he had a stellar record there. He goes to Vanderbilt and gets fired after 3 seasons, each of which was progressively worst with the last one resulting in an 0-18 conference record. Past success doesn't always result in continued success....that's what makes this sort of thing interesting.

Yep. So much for the tired and far-from-guaranteed mantra by some here that says "you get what you pay for". That thought conveniently omits the massive number of times big money was paid for a leader who failed miserably.

I recall when Visor Boy was hired by Daniel Snyder (speaking of failures) at money not known to head NFL coaches at the time. Of course, Visor Boy was dominant in preseason. 04-cheers
03-22-2019 12:00 PM
nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
watching siena lose Christian to GW just reinforces the point, that good and great coaches get paid what they are worth. JMU will have to ante up if Rowe doesnt get it done. Going cheap as we ve all said gets you two things....inexperienced asst. coaches who probably arent ready and coaches leaving for more money.

we would all take more money for doing exactly the same job we are currently doing. I
03-22-2019 12:53 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2019 12:53 PM)nyduke Wrote:  watching siena lose Christian to GW just reinforces the point, that good and great coaches get paid what they are worth. JMU will have to ante up if Rowe doesnt get it done. Going cheap as we ve all said gets you two things....inexperienced asst. coaches who probably arent ready and coaches leaving for more money.

we would all take more money for doing exactly the same job we are currently doing. I

Yep. JMU is going to have to ante up if it desires to compete for conference championships and tickets to the NCAAT and/or NIT. I'd say especially in a conference where the top programs annually don't have football as their primary revenue sport.

While like most here I am not optimistic Rowe will be "getting it done", though I'd love to see it, if his teams turn corners and accomplish big things over the next 24 months, JMU will still have to ante up in the form of a raise and contract extension. I just hope Bourne doesn't go goofy and extend the contract too far and have a bunch of buyout clauses that bind us too far. Again, not optimistic this will happen, but in all options it is the one I hope happens because 1) it means JMU is successful next year and heads into the new arena with momentum and 2) we likely are better off financially giving Rowe a raise than having to throw money out there to attract someone else. Well, if our administration is willing and has the means to do that of course. Plus, I'd like to avoid paying a coach to not coach at JMU if all possible.

Get it done, Lou!
03-22-2019 01:06 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

(03-22-2019 12:53 PM)nyduke Wrote:  watching siena lose Christian to GW just reinforces the point, that good and great coaches get paid what they are worth. JMU will have to ante up if Rowe doesnt get it done. Going cheap as we ve all said gets you two things....inexperienced asst. coaches who probably arent ready and coaches leaving for more money.

I just don’t understand why you guys keep making these posts about JMU paying big money for a coach. I will be shocked if this ever happens. If it does, it will be the first time in history that JMU does so. JMU will pay at a CAA level no matter who coaches us. Should that coach have success, they then might up the ante to a point to keep that coach but JMU is not going to way overpay it’s present or next coach.

JMU is all about building good facilities and offering a great college experience to attract student athletes.
03-22-2019 04:45 PM
Advertisement

nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
Jmu nation
We are not saying to overpay. Pay near top.of caa for Gods sake. Not bottom of it.
03-22-2019 08:02 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

National scuttlebutt on W&M is they are going to pay in the $700k range for their next coach. Can JMU hang with W&M or will they admit they really don’t want it that bad.
This is W&M who has never made the NCAA tourney. Never.
03-22-2019 08:47 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
I was happy to see the W&M report. Ideally Jmu would lead on that front but having W&M pay that much will be sure to get attention and nudge Jmu to where they should be and need to be. It’s similar to COA - the other Caa schools and likely some feedback they received from candidates for the MBB job during the interview process resulted in Jmu offering Coa. Or the new arena- likely feedback from Carr consulting or AAC officials when they visited Harrisonburg.
03-22-2019 09:08 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
NCAA MB Coaching Changes
I'd hire the vandy coach
03-22-2019 09:43 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(03-22-2019 09:08 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I was happy to see the W&M report. Ideally Jmu would lead on that front but having W&M pay that much will be sure to get attention and nudge Jmu to where they should be and need to be. It’s similar to COA - the other Caa schools and likely some feedback they received from candidates for the MBB job during the interview process resulted in Jmu offering Coa. Or the new arena- likely feedback from Carr consulting or AAC officials when they visited Harrisonburg.

what?
03-22-2019 09:50 PM
Advertisement

Dukes84 Offline
All American

JT3 the leader at Vanderbilt per sources.
03-23-2019 12:41 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

(03-22-2019 09:08 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I was happy to see the W&M report. Ideally Jmu would lead on that front but having W&M pay that much will be sure to get attention and nudge Jmu to where they should be and need to be. It’s similar to COA - the other Caa schools and likely some feedback they received from candidates for the MBB job during the interview process resulted in Jmu offering Coa. Or the new arena- likely feedback from Carr consulting or AAC officials when they visited Harrisonburg.

W&M formed in the 1700s. I am fairly certain their endowment dwarfs JMUs. A lot of money at that school. They take very little state funding because of this and don’t have to answer to the state either. VT, UVA and W&M all threatened the state to go private some years back. This politically forced the state to create a separate status for budget approvals for these schools since they were taking so few state funds.

I can’t remember all the details just know they are in a different category for spending approvals and that they have a lot more money than JMU.
03-23-2019 05:02 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2019 05:02 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  

W&M formed in the 1700s. I am fairly certain their endowment dwarfs JMUs. A lot of money at that school. They take very little state funding because of this and don’t have to answer to the state either. VT, UVA and W&M all threatened the state to go private some years back. This politically forced the state to create a separate status for budget approvals for these schools since they were taking so few state funds.

I can’t remember all the details just know they are in a different category for spending approvals and that they have a lot more money than JMU.

Apparently you haven’t been keeping up with current events. JMU was also recently given the same fiscal autonomy as UVA, VT, W&M and VCU.

W&M’s endowment is significantly larger than JMU’s, but it’s not an endowment that’s counted in the billions ala UVA. In many ways, W&M’s endowment is rather modest considering its age.
03-23-2019 06:18 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-23-2019 06:18 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(03-23-2019 05:02 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  

Apparently you haven’t been keeping up with current events. JMU was also recently given the same fiscal autonomy as UVA, VT, W&M and VCU.

W&M’s endowment is significantly larger than JMU’s, but it’s not an endowment that’s counted in the billions ala UVA. In many ways, W&M’s endowment is rather modest considering its age.

Someone posted several years ago that W&M had to completely start over after the Civil War, something the Ivy's didn't face. UVA is considerably larger due to the much larger alumni base to pull from.
03-23-2019 07:20 PM
Dukester Offline

(03-22-2019 04:45 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  

I just don’t understand why you guys keep making these posts about JMU paying big money for a coach. I will be shocked if this ever happens. If it does, it will be the first time in history that JMU does so. JMU will pay at a CAA level no matter who coaches us. Should that coach have success, they then might up the ante to a point to keep that coach but JMU is not going to way overpay it’s present or next coach.

JMU is all about building good facilities and offering a great college experience to attract student athletes.

It's the first time ever they paid a coach as high as they paid Houston.

I wonder if it would make sense to cut the Football head coaching salary to back to what Mickey was paid. I think it was about 275,000. If we cut back the assistants too would could probably save $500,000 in annual salaries. Would that be a good idea?
03-25-2019 08:27 AM
Advertisement

jmu007 Offline
All American

(03-25-2019 08:27 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

I wonder if it would make sense to cut the Football head coaching salary to back to what Mickey was paid. I think it was about 275,000. If we cut back the assistants too would could probably save $500,000 in annual salaries. Would that be a good idea?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not about cutting football salaries.
03-25-2019 08:50 AM
Dukester Offline

(03-25-2019 08:50 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  
(03-25-2019 08:27 AM)Dukester Wrote:  

I can't tell if you're being serious or not about cutting football salaries.

I'm being serious as far as the question, but I'm not suggesting to do so. I am saying it's basically the same decision we are and have been making in basketball. We're not going to go above our comfort level in men's basketball of 350k or less.

We can't afford to pay a head coach $275k in football, because it would reduce our chances for success, and we can't afford to have a sub 20k attendance a game. That would cost us a lot.

For basketball JMU is saying we can afford to pay 500-600k, but what is the cost of 3,000 fans not coming to games after the first season? Those club seats will cost a premium, but who's going to pay after the first year is we are an average at best CAA team.

If we had paid our basketball coach 500k the last 15 years and had a top CAA program it would of easily paid for itself. The amount you pay does not guarantee success, but it certainly increases your chances and give you more options and room for error in picking your head coach.
03-25-2019 09:08 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

FWIW, the official final tally of MBB tickets accounted for across 14 official games at the official Convo from official stats at our official sports athletics page says (officially of course) is 34,499.

That's an official average of 2,464 and I don't think it includes the officials in the official games.

34,499...hmmmm...that's the combined totals of hosting Robert Morris (18,112) and about two-thirds of the W&M game (25,130) at BFS.

Quite the opportunity cost JMU is missing out on across 14 home MBB games when the Convo has about a third of the capacity per game of tickets accounted for. And, we all know "attendance" is tickets accounted for because there is absolutely NO WAY the vast majority of games did we come anywhere near over 2,000 fannies actually making it into the Convo in person (lost sales of concessions and so forth).
03-25-2019 09:58 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-25-2019 09:58 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  FWIW, the official final tally of MBB tickets accounted for across 14 official games at the official Convo from official stats at our official sports athletics page says (officially of course) is 34,499.

That's an official average of 2,464 and I don't think it includes the officials in the official games.

34,499...hmmmm...that's the combined totals of hosting Robert Morris (18,112) and about two-thirds of the W&M game (25,130) at BFS.

Quite the opportunity cost JMU is missing out on across 14 home MBB games when the Convo has about a third of the capacity per game of tickets accounted for. And, we all know "attendance" is tickets accounted for because there is absolutely NO WAY the vast majority of games did we come anywhere near over 2,000 fannies actually making it into the Convo in person (lost sales of concessions and so forth).

By my simple calculation the new JMU arena will seat 8,500 x 14 basketball home games = a potential maximum attendance of 119,000.

JMU football has a maximum potential attendance of 150,000 (6 x 25k) That's assuming JMU schedules 6 regular season home games. Otherwise, 5 home football games maximum attendance is 125,000, roughly the same as the new arena's capacity.

A higher MBB HC salary is no guarantee that success will follow and lead to an arena filled to capacity, but the missed opportunity costs for going cheap on the HC is there in stark black & white numbers.

Given the NCAA payout for D1 NCAAT appearances and wins, the potential loss revenue grows exponentially. IMO JMU must be willing to up the HC salary pool for MBB equal to, if not slightly above, what JMU is paying its FCS FB HC. That means in the $500-600K range. Anything less tells me JMU is not really serious about turning this MBB program around.
03-25-2019 10:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.