Bookmark and Share
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
MyBB MBB: What have we learned at this point in the season? 2/2/19
OK, what have we learned to this point in the season:

1. X/O goals on Defense:

- Seems to have two bases CPH wants to use:
- #1: A switch heavy man/zone hybrid that looks to neutralize P/R at the top at the cost of possibly giving up corner threes. Should be a better base defense if we can get more guard length (Lomax at 5'11", Harris at 5'8") to closeout.
- #2: A full court pressure trapping defense that seems to be a 2-2-1 trap. Probably a secondary base defense at 25% of the game unless team gets down and needs to turn up the heat.

- Verdict: Theory is sound, better recruiting will help, will be a defense that gives up 3s and layups at times, but should generate 12-16 TOs a game and get 15 pts easy +/- at least. I think this will work better in future. Bright future.

2. X/O goals on Offense:

- Seems to have one major goal which is a 1-4 low start, that has the 4/5 come high for a single P/R (1/big) or a double screen (1/ x2 big) to get to the mid lane with a head of steam surrounded by shooters at the corner and a pop out big
- This has some limitations as a base offense. Relies on the guard beating his man off a switch OR a success P/R.
- Limitations are crushing for the following reasons this year:

- A. The guard in the P/R has to be a player capable of finishing in the lane. Only 2 of our primary creators are able to finish at the cup (Martin / Brewton), the others (FR guards) can't finish. I'd expect ALo to get better at the cup, I expect very little improvement by Harris at the cup.
- B. The shooters (Harris and ????) are inconsistent canning 3s out of kick outs. Harris will probably improve his shooting greatly and he adds strength and experience. Still need more shooting.
- C. None of the screening bigs have true explosion as a Roll man and are uneven shooters from deep off pops (Davenport probably the best at both, all are limited), so the opposing big can cheat on the drive knowing the roll man is a lower priority option at the cup. This is the one thing that will improve greatly next year. The opposing big will GLUE to Wiseman at his mortal terror and that should GREATLY improve the P/R threat.

- Verdict: I am actually more cool on this long term. This is basically an NBA offense that is predicated on players being able to create for themselves with little ball movement. We have only a couple of players who can create for themselves (Martin, kind of Brewton, kind of Davenport) and few who can create for others (Martin, ALo). We need a couple more shooters, even counting for Harris improving, and we need a pick/pop big as well. One more creative ball handler will help as well.

3. Coaching, the good:

- We have an identity at least, the team consistently attempts the same things, just to varying results. So there is a level of practice repetition that is happening and is setting a tone. This is important.

- The team has no quit, and comes out to play hard regardless of up, down, whatever.

4. Coaching, the bad:

- The team comes out flat on the road. Historically flat in fact. It's odd that this is consistent. Some answers are due in this case, now. Road wins are not expected, but you're not supposed to consistently be down 12-20 in the first half.

- Rotations are not set, minutes are getting yanked. I do think this is excusable, because we need to find out what we have and we have a disjointed roster, but the players don't have consistent roles yet.

5. Press woofing:

- Good: It gets us fired up and is very on brand for Memphis, I love it.
- Bad: It gets other teams fired up and makes us a target, I hate it.
- I find this conflicting. I lean towards liking it, but we need to start winning.

6. Next years roster and how it projects:

A. Starting Level Players returning:
- SG: Jones: Projects as a 3-4th option on offense, can run point in a pinch, will be a key player moving forward.

B. Key Rotation Level Players returning:
- SG: Harris: Projects as instant offense, 20-25 minutes a night, key 2nd unit gunner

C. Deep Rotation Level Players returning:
- PG: Lomax: Projects as backup level PG, 18-20 minutes a night, energy in press, dogged defensive player, able to improve to starter level for junior / senior years.
- F/C: Maurice: Projects as 4th man in PF/C rotation, 15-18 minutes a game, some post offense, decent player

D. No role going forward:
- F/C: Enoh, he is not able to play on this team, hard to see him playing in a crowded front court. Good kid by all accounts.

E. Incomplete, with guesses, in order of usefulness:
- F: Lance Thomas: Hopefully useful, was a good player in HS / showed promise at 'Ville, in rotation
- SF: Wingett: 2nd unit corner shooter? Unclear as he hasn't played, not in rotation
- SG: Boyce: developmental wing? , not in rotation
- SG: Hardaway: unclear, not in rotation

7. Rotation as of now for next year with OPEN SPOT noting a need to improve.

C: Wiseman / Dandridge
PF: OPEN PF spot / Thomas / Maurice
SF: Jeffries / Open WING Spot
SG: Jones / Harris
PG: OPEN PG Spot / ALo

On scholarship, but not in rotation: Wingett, Boyce, Hardaway, Enoh

We need another shooter, another starting level PG, and another high quality big with range.

Watford would add the big with range
We need a guard who can handle, create, and shoot (Baugh? a 2020 reclassify of Green / Hampton?)

>>>>

Thoughts?
02-02-2019 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PATiger Offline
Voice of Reason

I Root For: Memphis
RE: MBB: What have we learned at this point in the season? 2/2/19
Penny is a disappointment in his first season.

Losing the seniors from the team will hurt more than the incoming freshmen can help.
02-02-2019 04:01 PM
memphissince86 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TigersnRedskins
(02-02-2019 04:01 PM)PATiger Wrote:  Penny is a disappointment in his first season.

Losing the seniors from the team will hurt more than the incoming freshmen can help.

LOL. smh
02-02-2019 04:05 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
(02-02-2019 04:01 PM)PATiger Wrote:  Penny is a disappointment in his first season.

1. Penny has been disappointing in some levels, solid in others. TBD.
2. Depends on the freshmen, I think that we get two more 5 or 4 stars, we might be better.

We shall see.
02-02-2019 04:08 PM
HiTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UoM
Good solid post, at least shows that there is somewhat of a plan in place.

At the end of the day this team is about as what was expected by many going into the year, now we're just living it out.
02-02-2019 04:14 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
We've learned that we need to be extra strong to the ups and downs---bounce back from the excitement of wins and losses quickly.

We've learned that predictions are more fluid than the norm...as in rrheapoop.

We knew this season was going to be extra thrilling, especially after the giddy pullup from our nosedive towards oblivion. But experiencing these massive ups and downs takes extra core strength! wow.

#pippinstrength
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019 04:15 PM by snowtiger.)
02-02-2019 04:14 PM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

03-yawn
02-02-2019 04:58 PM
midtowncowboy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
We have learned CPH can't perform miracles and miracles are required with our roster.

Other than the roster issues, the lack of effort and/or mental preparation for road games is troubling. This is probably related to the roster issues. We are just not good enough to play 'half ass' and expect to compete.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019 05:02 PM by midtowncowboy.)
02-02-2019 05:01 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

It would be nice for Jones to develop into this awesome player that people see potential in. I've heard nothing regarding his future, but we've been talking about whatever issues he has for quite some time. That really makes me question if he'll be able to contribute (on a level that matches the hype) going forward. Usually when you have a player like that and it drags on for a while, they either don't live up to expectations and/or get booted off the team. I hope I'm totally wrong and he ends up being the stud player many of us think he can be.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019 05:28 PM by cscottl1981.)
02-02-2019 05:21 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

By comparison, a player who naturally possesses talented moves will stand out on a team. But we haven’t been watching nationally competitive BB in awhile now, unless we venture out of our own league.
02-02-2019 05:31 PM
Crazier Offline
All American

We got 2 or 3 consistent players and the rest are streaky.
02-02-2019 05:34 PM
Advertisement

ImaTiger Offline
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
Reasonable assessment. IMHO great job by Penny coaching us back in the game. I'm sure he learned something. The players learned they have to listen to him.

Penny will be fine, we'll be fine, the players will be fine.

We fight like tigers.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2019 06:40 PM by ImaTiger.)
02-02-2019 06:40 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(02-02-2019 04:58 PM)450bench Wrote:  

03-yawn

He and Tigertrails need to form a club and hang out together.
02-02-2019 06:48 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

Remember that quote:

Better to be though a fool.....

03-shhhh
02-02-2019 06:49 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(02-02-2019 06:49 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Mark my words. Losing the seniors from the team will hurt more than the incoming freshmen can help.

Remember that quote:

Better to be thought a fool.....

03-shhhh

I don’t get that guy.

How can any fan of any team in any team sport PREDICT such failure with such total certainty. Never mind the recruits we have coming in.

Wait. Maybe I do get that guy...lol
02-02-2019 07:01 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-02-2019 07:01 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(02-02-2019 06:49 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Mark my words. Losing the seniors from the team will hurt more than the incoming freshmen can help.

Remember that quote:

Better to be thought a fool.....

03-shhhh

I don’t get that guy.

How can any fan of any team in any team sport PREDICT such failure with such total certainty. Never mind the recruits we have coming in.

Wait. Maybe I do get that guy...lol

Not at all trying to dis you, but... Remember you said to me.... “all Tiger fans are fine by me”. No matter what they say or what their opinions are.

More power to you 04-cheers I don’t share the same view on that.
02-02-2019 07:28 PM
Advertisement

tigertrails Offline
Banned

(02-02-2019 06:48 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  

03-yawn

Yeah, we both live in reality and don't look at things through blue colored glasses. In other words, we're not homers like 95% of the posters around here.
02-02-2019 07:54 PM
Tigerspartan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
The bad part about the players coming in next year is the bar will be set so insanely high it’s must win or the whole thing will come off the rails. This year has been about what I expected, some great moments and some frustrating moments. If penny doesn’t win big next year with the class he is bringing in, it will be a lot harder to recruit for him after that. Stilll better than tubbyville. At least we have hope. Who knows if it will all bear out or not. Go tigers.
02-02-2019 08:19 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(02-02-2019 06:48 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  

03-yawn

03-lmfao

Stick the sigeric dude in there with em. Fun club.
02-02-2019 08:21 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(02-02-2019 08:19 PM)Tigerspartan Wrote:  The bad part about the players coming in next year is the bar will be set so insanely high it’s must win or the whole thing will come off the rails. This year has been about what I expected, some great moments and some frustrating moments. If penny doesn’t win big next year with the class he is bringing in, it will be a lot harder to recruit for him after that. Stilll better than tubbyville. At least we have hope. Who knows if it will all bear out or not. Go tigers.

I'd like to see a grad transfer come in from a program with a disciplinarian program. An example that can guide the young guys even if he's coming off the bench.
02-02-2019 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.