Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College football playoff....
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
College football playoff....
It’s going to be interesting watching The Big 10, Big 12 and PAC all fight over that last spot..... that none of them deserve.

Anyone else think UCF deserves a shot over the winner of those three conferences?

How many games does that team in Orlando have to win before the committee gives them a chance?

This is starting to make the whole process look crooked.
CJ
11-18-2018 03:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: College football playoff....
(11-18-2018 03:51 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  It’s going to be interesting watching The Big 10, Big 12 and PAC all fight over that last spot..... that none of them deserve.

Anyone else think UCF deserves a shot over the winner of those three conferences?

How many games does that team in Orlando have to win before the committee gives them a chance?

CJ

The process was never fair. The AP National Championship and the UPI National Championships were decided by sportswriters whose allegiances were to their following at their newspapers and since they were largely from big cities they tended to push their local teams and could outvote many other locales.

The BCS was just the competition between the top two in their polls.

Now we have a committee of distinguished personalities to put their stamp on 4 schools, but they work essentially at the behest of the corporate sponsors of the event who want maximum eyeballs on the 3 games.

So you tell me when was it ever fair?

It is why I am for a P5 playoff and a G5 playoff where the participants are the conference champions. It would be fairer in that entry is settled on the field and not by people who don't play the games, and the class distinction is largely based on size and economics which, while not as fair, is a system venerated all the way back at the high school and jr high level of competition, and if you think about it the height and weight restrictions in pee wee football were another kind of classification.
11-18-2018 02:42 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

JR that’s a great point. The trouble is college football is slipping with the younger generation. While our generation understands tradition, younger folks don’t seem so bound to it like we were. We remember how the media voted and picked two teams so we see the new CFP as an improvement. Younger fans don’t have the allegiances we have. To watch they’ll want a fair system. This system we have now isn’t fair by any stretch but it’s better than what we had.
CJ
11-18-2018 03:41 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-18-2018 03:41 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  JR that’s a great point. The trouble is college football is slipping with the younger generation. While our generation understands tradition, younger folks don’t seem so bound to it like we were. We remember how the media voted and picked two teams so we see the new CFP as an improvement. Younger fans don’t have the allegiances we have. To watch they’ll want a fair system. This system we have now isn’t fair by any stretch but it’s better than what we had.
CJ

Young people today say they want what is fair, but they don't grasp the gap between the resources in personnel and resources between many of the G5 and P5 programs. Again they don't know why the G5 schools are here. Most of them were normal colleges for the preparation of teachers prior to WWIi (if they existed at all prior to WWIi). The GI bill so crammed the larger state schools that many of the smaller colleges diversified to become universities and to accommodate the veterans. Later because those veterans all married at once and started having kids at once the need to remain and grow carried them through a second level of growth. Then for awhile in the 70's and 80's we politically kept them and the larger schools from suffering a natural downsizing by making education more affordable. Pell Grants and then Student Loans kept them full.

What we are experience now is the start of a major downsizing in higher ed. Many of these schools will continue to suffer state budget cuts and the cost of education is exacerbating a downturn in enrollment. Large older state schools are building for what will be an eventual funneling of more students towards them as small state schools are reprogrammed for Vo Tech, or merged under a larger system, or closed.

For competition purposes size and finances matter. For some G5's they might be better off committing to the step up. For most they will never be able to effectively compete. We need two divisions for the current FBS, each with its own championship.

Corporate sponsors gave us what we have now. Before them it was large chamber of commerce's from cities hosting bowls. If we weren't so large, and didn't generate so much money our playoff would be like Division III and we would probably be better off for it.

So practically I don't see any way out of this mess unless we move to G4 and P4 and let the conference champs play it off for each.
11-18-2018 05:31 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-18-2018 03:51 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  It’s going to be interesting watching The Big 10, Big 12 and PAC all fight over that last spot..... that none of them deserve.

CJ

What fight?
Ask yourself, which conference will bring the most eyeballs to the playoffs? If Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame win out, then the fourth team will come from the B1G.

BTW when UCF is admitted to the P5, they will get their chance.
It would be smarter for the G5 to start their own playoff, then their entire strata could benefit from an economic windfall.
11-23-2018 08:11 AM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(11-23-2018 08:11 AM)XLance Wrote:  

CJ

What fight?
Ask yourself, which conference will bring the most eyeballs to the playoffs? If Alabama, Clemson, and Notre Dame win out, then the fourth team will come from the B1G.

It would be smarter for the G5 to start their own playoff, then their entire strata could benefit from an economic windfall.

"When"?
11-23-2018 09:49 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-23-2018 09:49 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  

CJ

What fight?

"When"?

False hope for UCF....my bad.
11-23-2018 10:27 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

CJ

What fight?

If I had to guess, the G5 would make less from their own playoff than they now receive from the CFP.
11-23-2018 11:10 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-23-2018 11:10 AM)ken d Wrote:  

CJ

What fight?

If I had to guess, the G5 would make less from their own playoff than they now receive from the CFP.

Don't think so. If they had their own playoff it would benefit more G5 schools because each conference would get a slice. Right now the CFP benefits just 1 conference and one school gets a larger share than their conference mates. Plus the G5 CFP would likely start on campus sites which is a nice little perk as well. They would have 3 televised games likely with a national audience as opposed to just 1. I think they would earn more as a whole, but that the payoff to who the CFP single lotto ticket winner might have been would be less.
11-23-2018 01:46 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-23-2018 01:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

CJ

What fight?

Don't think so. If they had their own playoff it would benefit more G5 schools because each conference would get a slice. Right now the CFP benefits just 1 conference and one school gets a larger share than their conference mates. Plus the G5 CFP would likely start on campus sites which is a nice little perk as well. They would have 3 televised games likely with a national audience as opposed to just 1. I think they would earn more as a whole, but that the payoff to who the CFP single lotto ticket winner might have been would be less.

I believe the G5 splits about $80-90 million from the CFP. I have a hard time seeing anybody paying that much for three games that are essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
11-23-2018 01:52 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-23-2018 01:52 PM)ken d Wrote:  

CJ

What fight?

I believe the G5 splits about $80-90 million from the CFP. I have a hard time seeing anybody paying that much for three games that are essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I was under the impression that only the P5 split the CFP money and that the G5 only got a share if they made the field. They do get a share of the NY6 money.

If they are getting a share of the CFP that's all the more reason for the P conferences to split off because just like the damned NCAA tournament that would be nothing but another version of NCAA welfare.

And BTW how worthless is that annually sacrificed NY6 bowl game to the sponsors?

By the way the G5 split 81 million roughly last year which amounts to 1.3 million per school. I bet they could easily get 40 million per game for a 3 game playoff. Even if it was 30 million per game with pooled bowl connections they would come out better.
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2018 04:51 PM by JRsec.)
11-23-2018 04:33 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

CJ

What fight?

Personally I would rather see The SEC get a second team in over anyone in The Big Ten.
CJ
11-23-2018 06:18 PM
BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Everyone has their opinion, here’s mine (for what it’s worth): the playoffs should be the BEST four schools regardless of conference. That being said, I would only be in favor of conference champions only IF (and only if) there was a split in FBS schools and/or a team played 10 or 11 conference games.
11-23-2018 06:53 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(11-23-2018 06:53 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Everyone has their opinion, here’s mine (for what it’s worth): the playoffs should be the BEST four schools regardless of conference. That being said, I would only be in favor of conference champions only IF (and only if) there was a split in FBS schools and/or a team played 10 or 11 conference games.

The problem with "BEST" is in who's opinion? If you don't decide it on the field, by conference championships, then how do you propose - a poll? Go back to 1975!
11-23-2018 07:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-23-2018 04:33 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-23-2018 08:11 AM)XLance Wrote:  What fight?

I was under the impression that only the P5 split the CFP money and that the G5 only got a share if they made the field. They do get a share of the NY6 money.

If they are getting a share of the CFP that's all the more reason for the P conferences to split off because just like the damned NCAA tournament that would be nothing but another version of NCAA welfare.

And BTW how worthless is that annually sacrificed NY6 bowl game to the sponsors?

By the way the G5 split 81 million roughly last year which amounts to 1.3 million per school. I bet they could easily get 40 million per game for a 3 game playoff. Even if it was 30 million per game with pooled bowl connections they would come out better.

If the G5 pull out of the CFP contract, they are also out of the NY6. I think $20 million a game would be at the upper end of the range they could expect.
11-23-2018 07:51 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-23-2018 07:51 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(11-23-2018 11:10 AM)ken d Wrote:  If I had to guess, the G5 would make less from their own playoff than they now receive from the CFP.

If the G5 pull out of the CFP contract, they are also out of the NY6. I think $20 million a game would be at the upper end of the range they could expect.

Who said anything about the G5 pulling out. We are talking bout the P5 making their own. And then utilizing some of the bowls to facilitate the G5's playoffs and provide definite tie ins for their schools. With the bowl money figuring in I don't think they would lose money. But the upper tier forming their own would likely be more efficient for them in particular.
11-23-2018 07:55 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(11-23-2018 07:46 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(11-23-2018 06:53 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Everyone has their opinion, here’s mine (for what it’s worth): the playoffs should be the BEST four schools regardless of conference. That being said, I would only be in favor of conference champions only IF (and only if) there was a split in FBS schools and/or a team played 10 or 11 conference games.

The problem with "BEST" is in who's opinion? If you don't decide it on the field, by conference championships, then how do you propose - a poll? Go back to 1975!

I was hoping no one would ask that lol that is the million dollar question. Thankfully, I’m not paid to make decisions, only to point out issues and ask the right questions!
11-23-2018 08:34 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-23-2018 07:55 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-23-2018 07:51 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(11-23-2018 01:46 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Don't think so. If they had their own playoff it would benefit more G5 schools because each conference would get a slice. Right now the CFP benefits just 1 conference and one school gets a larger share than their conference mates. Plus the G5 CFP would likely start on campus sites which is a nice little perk as well. They would have 3 televised games likely with a national audience as opposed to just 1. I think they would earn more as a whole, but that the payoff to who the CFP single lotto ticket winner might have been would be less.

Who said anything about the G5 pulling out. We are talking bout the P5 making their own. And then utilizing some of the bowls to facilitate the G5's playoffs and provide definite tie ins for their schools. With the bowl money figuring in I don't think they would lose money. But the upper tier forming their own would likely be more efficient for them in particular.

What difference does it make if the P5 separates from the G5 or vice versa? The end result is the same. And that result, IMO, likely means the entire current deal with the bowls and the CFP blows up. Utilizing "some of the bowls" to facilitate G5 playoffs requires those bowls to buy in. If any of those are current NY6 bowls (which I doubt) they aren't going to be willing to pay as much to match up G5 teams instead of P5 teams.

I think the same would hold true for the next tier of Bowls (like the Capital One). They aren't going to be excited to switch from an SEC/B1G game to an AAC/MWC game. By the time you get down the bowl pecking order to someone willing to host a G5 playoff game, the money's not going to be very good.

The only thing that would give the G5 more money is if the P5 collectively decide to give them a gift out of the goodness of their hearts. That's a lot more goodness than I have seen evidence of yet.
11-24-2018 08:58 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The fact that the G5 signed up for this seems to be lost on many on this forum.
11-24-2018 12:54 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Anyone care to speculate on where Ohio St, Oklahoma, UCF, and Georgia will be ranked now that the regular season is complete?
11-25-2018 09:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.