Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: 23 and me
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
OK....

I’ve been wanting to talk about this for awhile. For Father’s Day my daughter got me a 23 and me DNA kit. The biggest one the whole 9 yards. I got the results back last Saturday. I always thought my grandma was American Indian. My Mom told me she was part of the Crow tribe. When I was in school I even did a school project on the Crow Nation and their roots in Ohio. I’m 100% European and mostly French German and 20% Irish. I’m even 2% Ashkenazi Jew.

My Dad died at the ripe old age of 52. I’ve always had this number in the back of my head. Well it turns out my DNA is incredibly healthy. I even have a GG variant in muscle composition that every Olympic athlete ever tested has. Im also,supposed to be 3% skinner than the average American. For my height my DNA says I should weigh about 178. I weigh 240 currently. I always thought I was predisposed to being stocky. Here all along I’m supposed to be an Olympic athlete ripped at about 178. This plays mind games with you. When wife read the results she looked at me and says. I quote..... “you’ve underachieved”........

Total mind screw.......

I’ve been reflecting upon this a lot lately. 1. I think about Elizabeth Warren. If your parents tell you you are Indian what are you supposed to do? I’m telling you my maternal grandma looked like an Indian. High cheekbones and big nose. I never doubted it. Then the bit about my muscle composition. Makes the mind wander........ anybody else try this?
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 04:49 PM by Machiavelli.)
07-15-2018 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: OT: 23 and me
(07-15-2018 08:31 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  OK....

I’ve been wanting to talk about this for awhile. For Father’s Day my daughter got me a 23 and me DNA kit. The biggest one the whole 9 yards. I got the results back last Saturday. I always thought my grandma was American Indian. My Mom told me she was part of the Crow tribe. When I was in school I even did a school project on the Crow Nation and their roots in Ohio. I’m 100% European and mostly French German and 20% Irish. I’m even 2% Ashenkazi Jew.

My Dad died at the ripe old age of 52. I’ve always had this number in the back of my head. Well it turns out my DNA is incredibly healthy. I even have a GG variant in muscle composition that every Olympic athlete ever tested has. Im also,supposed to be 3% skinner than the average American. For my height my DNA says I should weigh about 178. I weigh 240 currently. I always thought I was predisposed to being stocky. Here all along I’m supposed to be an Olympic athlete ripped at about 178. This plays mind games with you. When wife read the results she looked at me and says. I quote..... “you’ve underachieved”........

Total mind screw.......

I’ve been reflecting upon this a lot lately. 1. I think about Elizabeth Warren. If your parents tell you you are Indian what are you supposed to do? I’m telling you my maternal grandma looked like an Indian. High cheekbones and big nose. I never doubted it. Then the bit about my muscle composition. Makes the mind wander........ anybody else try this?

I've always wanted to do this for the percentage of what comes from where, but the privacy issues keep me from doing it. Your DNA ends up in the government's hands and I'm sure the insurance companies will soon follow if that hasn't already happened yet.
07-15-2018 09:01 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Thought about that too. Also if I ever commit a crime I’m ****** but I wanted to know about my health.
07-15-2018 09:02 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

I’ve been wanting to talk about this for awhile. For Father’s Day my daughter got me a 23 and me DNA kit. The biggest one the whole 9 yards. I got the results back last Saturday. I always thought my grandma was American Indian. My Mom told me she was part of the Crow tribe. When I was in school I even did a school project on the Crow Nation and their roots in Ohio. I’m 100% European and mostly French German and 20% Irish. I’m even 2% Ashenkazi Jew.

Total mind screw.......

Sure your wife didn't fake the report just to mess with your head?04-cheers

I did the National Genographic which doesn't go into as much detail, but does support some scientific research. The family also did some geneological research. Mine was about as expected. My closest match was German. 2nd closest was Mexican-American. I was about 1/6th Amerind, mostly from the Mexican side. Now on my Father's side there was a family story that we were part Cherokee. None of us really believed it. But the geneology did find a great, great... grandmother from North Carolina who was Cherokee.

The real surprise was my son who was adopted from Russia. We expected Russian and Tartar (the saying-scratch a Russian and you find a Tartar). His closest match was British! 2nd was Iranian. The Iranian we can understand. The British? Some soldier who never went home after the Crimean War?!

Russians really look more like Americans than any of the Europeans but the Brits. They, like us, are a real mix. Russia was a cross-roads of invasion and migration.
07-15-2018 09:08 PM
Machiavelli Offline

OMG....

Forgot about the best part!!!1

My closest relative who I share 7% of my DNA with is from Kansas. Her maiden name was Ward. She is suspected as my 1 st cousin. One of my grandparents on my mothers side had a a brother or sister out of wedlock!!!!! I reached out to her no reply back yet. She was raised in Kansas and now resides in Wichita. She has a half brother who is currently serving as a General in the US Army who I am also related to. It’s crazy.
07-15-2018 09:15 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
My ancestors were Dutch, landed in NY in 1672 and lived in the same town until 1958 when my dad joined the Air Force and met my mom, a girl from Huntington, WV. You can build my father's complete family tree by going to one courthouse. Outside of that, I don't really care what else is sprinkled in my DNA.
07-15-2018 09:18 PM
Advertisement

thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
Yeah, I took one of those DNA tests. Turns out I am Irish, English, and part Grey Alien.

Now who do I sue ? Area 51 ?
07-15-2018 09:20 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
I have the same Y DNA marker as a man buried in Northwestern Russia 5000 years ago....

[Image: image.png]

Don't tell Mueller
07-15-2018 09:21 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
I could care less. I am 100% born again Christian and the details of my flesh will never matter for all eternity.

I won't even be in the flesh anymore ever again after my death or the Lords return. I'll have a new glorified body just as Christ.
07-15-2018 09:29 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Did the one from ancestry last winter. Confirmed what I knew. Scottish and Irish, learned Wales was included (34%). Big discovery was learning that about a third of my DNA is Scandinavian (31%). My dad,72, seemed disappointed because his side of the family is suppose to be German, that only came in at 4% with Western Europe. Eastern Europe was 17% and Great Britain was 8%. Overall my DNA is European.

Another big thing was learning that I had ancestors settle in New England and Ohio River Valley in early 1700's. That showed some ancestors from Germany, my dad seemed better after that.
07-15-2018 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(07-15-2018 08:31 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  My Dad died at the ripe old age of 52. I’ve always had this number in the back of my head.
Every man I’ve ever known whose father has died knew instantly how old he lived to be, if it ever came up in conversation. Might not know the date/place-of-birth or anything else, but they knew the age at death.

Quote:If your parents tell you you are Indian what are you supposed to do?
It would be fine to mention it in personal conversation without really “knowing”, but I wouldn’t attempt to use the information in a career/professional context unless I had some documentation in the form of birth/marriage certificates, etc.

Three of my grandparents appeared on the surface to have been as white as the driven snow. One of them — again, just judging from appearance — could’ve passed (and probably did) for anything from Lebanese/Jewish to Spanish/Cuban to American Indian. I don’t know the full story there. Maybe someday I’ll find out. Regardless, all 4 of them were always wonderful to me. But in the meantime, I would never try to pass myself off as 1/4-whatever even if there was some social/political angle to it.
07-15-2018 09:33 PM
Advertisement

memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I have always wondered about my ancestors and where they came from. My dad did a lot of genealogy work and traced a lot of family back to the late 1600s, a few ancestors further back than that. I just recently sent in a sample to Ancestry DNA. I'm still awaiting the results.

Based on my dad's work, I believe the vast majority of my ancestors were from Europe but I am very curious as to what I will find. I do have a third great grandmother who came to America in the early 1800s when she was a baby. Her parents died on the voyage. A family took her in and raised her but did not have any idea what country she came from or her ethnic origin. At least that is the story that has been passed down.

I am doing the test just to satisfy my curiosity as it relates to where my ancestors are from. I would not want to know any health related issues from a test like that. My dad and most of his siblings died from massive heart attacks so I already know I am susceptible to heart issues.
07-15-2018 09:47 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU

Total mind screw.......

I would not put too much faith in that. The local SLC news team had about 6 of them order kits from all 3 services. On each one who participated all 3 services came back with totally different results. In other words, these kits were proven to be all over the map and unreliable at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
07-15-2018 10:05 PM
Machiavelli Offline

See that’s the thing Memphis. You think you have heart issues because they probably ate a crappy diet. Your not destined to it is what I am saying.
07-15-2018 10:05 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(07-15-2018 10:05 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  

Total mind screw.......

I would not put too much faith in that. The local SLC news team had about 6 of them order kits from all 3 services. On each one who participated all 3 services came back with totally different results. In other words, these kits were proven to be all over the map and unreliable at best.

As far as general ancestry, even though I am not a Mormon their ancestry work is superb.

07-15-2018 10:07 PM
memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-15-2018 10:05 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  See that’s the thing Memphis. You think you have heart issues because they probably ate a crappy diet. Your not destined to it is what I am saying.

The diet thing is possible but I have always thought of it as heart issues on that side of the family. One of my dad's brothers died at the age of 4 from a heart defect. Then out of the remaining 10 kids, 6 of them died from heart attacks and they weren't really overweight. I try to eat healthy and exercise and control what I can.
07-15-2018 10:17 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Mach, so you find out that you're an Ashenasi. I'm not surprised.

Seriously, all the people from The Five took the same test and I think they all came back as being Ashenasi too, so there might be a standard reading for all that send for the test.

I've been curious to find out about mine but I have found out that on Cortez' ship to the new world there was a man with my last name and my name is very rare. When I was growing up there were only three families in the whole town who shared my last name. Now there's a shiite load, we screw like rabbits I guess. Anyway, I've always thought my dad was Jewish as he had very strong Jewish features and he was very light skinned. I remember when he would "command" me to bring his slippers and I had to take off his shoes and socks and he was white as snow. My mother on the other hand looked like the typical Apache and since the Apache was very prevalent in the Durango, Mexico area during the 1800s I don't doubt that I'm more Indian than Pocahontas (the one in the Senate).
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2018 11:10 PM by olliebaba.)
07-15-2018 10:22 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Back to the Native American DNA... I've been told we have some in our bloodline but the pictures don't lie, I haven't seen one Choctaw in old photos. My mom's side claims it since we have dark skin and tan easily. I'm not 100%.
07-15-2018 10:33 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Soooo,

you’re surprised there were only three other families named olliebaba?!?

Why would that surprise you?

/chuckles
07-15-2018 10:35 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(07-15-2018 10:17 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  
(07-15-2018 10:05 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  See that’s the thing Memphis. You think you have heart issues because they probably ate a crappy diet. Your not destined to it is what I am saying.

The diet thing is possible but I have always thought of it as heart issues on that side of the family. One of my dad's brothers died at the age of 4 from a heart defect. Then out of the remaining 10 kids, 6 of them died from heart attacks and they weren't really overweight. I try to eat healthy and exercise and control what I can.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/656...ntenarians
07-15-2018 10:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.