Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NH paper on TV deal
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
NH paper on TV deal
Nothing really new. Couple quotes from Aresco and UConn coaches. Run down of finances and media deals in comparison to other teams currently.

ESPN has an exclusive 30 day negotiating period.

Previous ESPN press and Aresco had some warm up talks. Currently he has talked on the phone with the new ESPN chief but nothing formal.

Expect to talk this summer/fall. If nothing by Feb of 2019 we will be free agents.

Gives a basic run down of our positives including ratings; 94 games over 1 million, beat some big xii games in ratings, only available inventory. Stability from 2013.

https://www.nhregister.com/sports/articl...040265.php
06-30-2018 10:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
NH paper on TV deal
94 games over one million

Yep I’m that special
06-30-2018 11:10 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: NH paper on TV deal
"If nothing is worked out by the end of February, 2019, the AAC can negotiate with other parties. It wouldn’t be able to agree to a deal for less than what ESPN turned down."

I have been reading on the board how multiple offers could happen. With this quote, how does that work for the conference if, let's say ESPiN wants to pay 5 mill for all Inventory, but the top competition only wants 4 mill for the tier one and two inventory.

I remember when NBC stiffed the conference the last time and 5 mill should not be expected for the ratings and success the conference has had.

I hope this does not become a problem again.
06-30-2018 11:40 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
This league is definitely among the powers no question... If all AAC members share the same goals $$$ a GOR must be agreed upon.

The AAC has to show stability and the GOR is this league best friend $$$.
07-01-2018 12:34 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Unlike the last deal where exposure was also important, more money will be the overwhelming focus of negotiation. Hopefully, competition from sources not available just a few years ago will yield the significantly increased funds we desperately require.
07-01-2018 07:34 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(07-01-2018 07:34 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Unlike the last deal where exposure was also important, more money will be the overwhelming focus of negotiation. Hopefully, competition from sources not available just a few years ago will yield the significantly increased funds we desperately require.

I think the ability to "auction" off our games will be the biggest jump for us. ESPN can't simply say go get the best deal you can and we'll match. They now will have to bid with out being able to low ball and then still get the inventory as they did last time. They will have to submit a bid they think can beat out others. Also tI think the bidding war will largely be done by CBS and NBC.
07-01-2018 09:47 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-01-2018 09:47 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 07:34 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Unlike the last deal where exposure was also important, more money will be the overwhelming focus of negotiation. Hopefully, competition from sources not available just a few years ago will yield the significantly increased funds we desperately require.

I think the ability to "auction" off our games will be the biggest jump for us. ESPN can't simply say go get the best deal you can and we'll match. They now will have to bid with out being able to low ball and then still get the inventory as they did last time. They will have to submit a bid they think can beat out others. Also tI think the bidding war will largely be done by CBS and NBC.

Correct. No automatic right to match this time around. 04-cheers
07-01-2018 09:57 AM
KnightLife Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-01-2018 09:57 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

do you think FOX will be interested as well?
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 11:06 AM by KnightLife.)
07-01-2018 11:04 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(07-01-2018 11:04 AM)KnightLife Wrote:  

I do not think FOX will be a factor in our deal. NBC, ESPN, and CBS-Sports are the likely bidders. Amazon, Facebook, Google, Twitter, and other unexpected networks like TNT could be wildcards—-but FOX would be pretty unlikely in my opinion.
07-01-2018 11:10 AM
KnightLife Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-01-2018 11:10 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 11:04 AM)KnightLife Wrote:  

I do not think FOX will be a factor in our deal. NBC, ESPN, and CBS-Sports are the likely bidders. Amazon, Facebook, Google, Twitter, and other unexpected networks like TNT could be wildcards—-but FOX would be pretty unlikely in my opinion.

okay. my only thinking that they could was losing the UFC. but they could fill that spot with WWE or more PAC12/BIG12/B1G content. we'll see
07-01-2018 11:20 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I thought this comment was interesting indicating ESPN still enjoys some sort of preferred treatment in the next TV negotiations. If it means what I think it means (cant accept a deal for less than what ESPN offers), then we are going to see ESPN offer a pretty good deal up front because their leverage point is on the front end of the negotiations---not the back end like last time.

If nothing is worked out by the end of February, 2019, the AAC can negotiate with other parties. It wouldn’t be able to agree to a deal for less than what ESPN turned down.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 05:38 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-01-2018 11:53 AM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-01-2018 11:53 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I thought this comment was interesting indicating ESPN still enjoys some sort of preferred treatment in the next TV negotiations. If it means what I think it mean (cant accept a deal for less than what ESPN offers), then we are going to see ESPN offer a pretty good deal up front because their leverage point is on the front end of the negotiations---not the back end like last time.

If nothing is worked out by the end of February, 2019, the AAC can negotiate with other parties. It wouldn’t be able to agree to a deal for less than what ESPN turned down.

Are these negotiations confidential? Lets say ESPN offers X million for a 5 year deal. Will NBC and CBS know this figure? Will the bids be apples to apples....i.e will they have to be for the same time frame and the same exposure. Lots of questions on how all of this goes down.
07-01-2018 01:26 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
A GoR would be huge...I just don't see it happening.
07-01-2018 01:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcatdh58 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-01-2018 01:26 PM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 11:53 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I thought this comment was interesting indicating ESPN still enjoys some sort of preferred treatment in the next TV negotiations. If it means what I think it mean (cant accept a deal for less than what ESPN offers), then we are going to see ESPN offer a pretty good deal up front because their leverage point is on the front end of the negotiations---not the back end like last time.

Are these negotiations confidential? Lets say ESPN offers X million for a 5 year deal. Will NBC and CBS know this figure? Will the bids be apples to apples....i.e will they have to be for the same time frame and the same exposure. Lots of questions on how all of this goes down.
How could you negotiate without notifying the bidder what the floor is?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using CSNbbs mobile app
07-01-2018 02:47 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(07-01-2018 02:47 PM)Bearcatdh58 Wrote:  

NBC and CBS will not know each other's bid, espn's or vice versa. If they did they would be colluding to set a price which is a legal no no.

The AAC could inform them but why would they initially? The companies will have a general idea of what their opponent can bid, but it would be foolish to let media companies price is right us by bidding one dollar more than the ESPN offer. Especially when we can always come back with the we have a higher offer negotiation if the other bidders are less than ESPN.

If Aresco doesn't take us to open market he should be criminally charged. ESPN is at a disadvantage for this negotiation. I am sure CBS discussed their view on various values for games in the navy deal. That means he already has an idea of what CBS is willing to offer and ESPN must beat that bid. This plays nicely to start raising the bidding as ESPN knows they may only get one shot at this not having the match right is huge in altering their bidding philosophy.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 03:58 PM by TU4ever.)
07-01-2018 03:57 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

Aresco: "Hey NBC. ESPN offered $500,000,000 over 8 years. We have to sign with them unless we get more from you."

NBC: "How about $500,000,001?"

This is why you keep people guessing.
07-01-2018 04:05 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatdh58 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(07-01-2018 03:57 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  
(07-01-2018 02:47 PM)Bearcatdh58 Wrote:  

NBC and CBS will not know each other's bid, espn's or vice versa. If they did they would be colluding to set a price which is a legal no no.

The AAC could inform them but why would they initially? The companies will have a general idea of what their opponent can bid, but it would be foolish to let media companies price is right us by bidding one dollar more than the ESPN offer. Especially when we can always come back with the we have a higher offer negotiation if the other bidders are less than ESPN.

If Aresco doesn't take us to open market he should be criminally charged. ESPN is at a disadvantage for this negotiation. I am sure CBS discussed their view on various values for games in the navy deal. That means he already has an idea of what CBS is willing to offer and ESPN must beat that bid. This plays nicely to start raising the bidding as ESPN knows they may only get one shot at this not having the match right is huge in altering their bidding philosophy.
Here is what I don't understand. ESPN says, I offer $150M per year for everything. Someone else offers less. How could you not say, I decline your offer because it's below a standing offer? Does that not communicate that the floor has been set by ESPN for $MM?
Please help me understand.

07-01-2018 04:09 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(07-01-2018 04:05 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Aresco: "Hey NBC. ESPN offered $500,000,000 over 8 years. We have to sign with them unless we get more from you."

NBC: "How about $500,000,001?"

This is why you keep people guessing.

03-lmfao

That's why I said they will have an idea. Of course they wont bid over what they feel our value is, but that value may vary by bidder.
07-01-2018 04:09 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

To maximize ESPN's "front end leverage" (i.e. our requirement to sign with them unless we get more elsewhere), I wonder if we'll slice and dice our inventory:

1. Title football game
2. Tier 1 football (top 20 regular season games)
3. Tier 2 football (next 20 games)
4. Tier 3 football (bottom 40 games)
5. Basketball tournament (7 games or 3 games + 4 games)
6. Tier 1 basketball

and so on.

If ESPN makes its best offer by Feb 2019, then this football season + basketball nonconference is the last chance to impress.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2018 04:31 PM by CougarRed.)
07-01-2018 04:29 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
Nobody is going to sign a ridiculous GOR because everyone is hoping for an invite to one of the big boy conferences even as much as they "love" being in the AAC. Would be dumb for Houston, USF, UCF or Memphis to do so.
07-01-2018 04:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.