Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The SunBelt now has a Discord channel
Bookmark and Share
CCUBrad Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Coastal
The SunBelt now has a Discord channel
02-13-banana Yup. Thanks to r/theRelunctantHipster. Come check it out -should be fun especially once the season kicks off. Here’s an invite link for those of you interested :

SBC Discord Channel
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018 04:51 PM by CCUBrad.)
06-25-2018 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

troutbummike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
RE: The SunBelt now has a Discord channel
Sweet Christ I'm old apparently. I don't know what Discord is. GET OFF MY INTERNET LAWN!
06-25-2018 04:53 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(06-25-2018 04:48 PM)CCUBrad Wrote:  02-13-banana Yup. Thanks to r/theRelunctantHipster. Come check it out -should be fun especially once the season kicks off. Here’s an invite link for those of you interested :

SBC Discord Channel

Could be interesting for some of the big early season games and some of the bigger SBC games.
06-25-2018 05:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I imagine about half of this board would have no idea what discord is.

Side note...While we as a mod staff see the effectiveness of something like this and the advantage, we do recommend you run it by one of us before you link it here. There are some tricky site wide rules regarding linking to other message boards (can be considered advertising, which is a big no-no), and its far easier to check first so we can make sure no one runs afoul of the site admins by accident.
06-25-2018 05:55 PM
CheckYosef94 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
(06-25-2018 04:53 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  Sweet Christ I'm old apparently. I don't know what Discord is. GET OFF MY INTERNET LAWN!

I'm 24 and had no idea what it was
06-25-2018 06:20 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-25-2018 06:20 PM)CheckYosef94 Wrote:  
(06-25-2018 04:53 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  Sweet Christ I'm old apparently. I don't know what Discord is. GET OFF MY INTERNET LAWN!

I only do because I spend way too much time watching Twitch Streams.
06-25-2018 06:26 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Any serious online gamers here?
06-25-2018 06:36 PM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

(06-25-2018 06:26 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Ahhhhh. Twitch Streams.......... those things... those twitchy streams I'm familiar with. Those that I definitely know about.
06-25-2018 06:43 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-25-2018 06:43 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  

Ahhhhh. Twitch Streams.......... those things... those twitchy streams I'm familiar with. Those that I definitely know about.

They are addicting. Watch random people fail at video games that you may or may not play yourself. Or watch someone really darn good play and try and pick up tips.
06-25-2018 06:49 PM
troutbummike Offline
1st String

(06-25-2018 06:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

They are addicting. Watch random people fail at video games that you may or may not play yourself. Or watch someone really darn good play and try and pick up tips.

Gotcha... Leroy Jenkins-esque?
06-25-2018 07:00 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-25-2018 07:00 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  
(06-25-2018 06:49 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(06-25-2018 06:20 PM)CheckYosef94 Wrote:  I'm 24 and had no idea what it was

Gotcha... Leroy Jenkins-esque?

Pretty much. Just never participate in the live chats for the well known streamers. They can get very toxic.
06-25-2018 07:18 PM
Advertisement

sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(06-25-2018 05:55 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I imagine about half of this board would have no idea what discord is.

Side note...While we as a mod staff see the effectiveness of something like this and the advantage, we do recommend you run it by one of us before you link it here. There are some tricky site wide rules regarding linking to other message boards (can be considered advertising, which is a big no-no), and its far easier to check first so we can make sure no one runs afoul of the site admins by accident.

OK, we should run cross linking by the mods. I sure understand where you're coming from. But I could understand your admonition better if this site had a live chat feature. It doesn't. Water will find it's way and so will fans. Not everyone is as old school as some of us who hang around message boards. Something to keep in mind is all I'm saying.
06-25-2018 07:43 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-25-2018 07:43 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  
(06-25-2018 05:55 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I imagine about half of this board would have no idea what discord is.

OK, we should run cross linking by the mods. I sure understand where you're coming from. But I could understand your admonition better if this site had a live chat feature. It doesn't. Water will find it's way and so will fans. Not everyone is as old school as some of us who hang around message boards. Something to keep in mind is all I'm saying.

Keep in mind, I don't have control of a live chat feature. Not my department. As of right now, I'd like to use this on game days. But site admins have very specific rules on advertising, so I just wanted to point out that we advise anyone who creates their own site check with us before you link just to make sure its all cool.
06-25-2018 07:51 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(06-25-2018 06:36 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Any serious online gamers here?

Depends on what you're playing.
06-25-2018 07:54 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(06-25-2018 07:51 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Keep in mind, I don't have control of a live chat feature. Not my department. As of right now, I'd like to use this on game days. But site admins have very specific rules on advertising, so I just wanted to point out that we advise anyone who creates their own site check with us before you link just to make sure its all cool.

I understand. I run a car club web site and moderate an international web site for cars. I only posted that to give those in charge something to consider. I ran a forum and chat on my club's web site for a while. The chat was wildly popular but the forum died out after a while due to social media and the more immediate feedback of those forms of online experiences. Something to keep in mind.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2018 08:00 PM by sdcritter.)
06-25-2018 07:59 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-25-2018 07:59 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  
(06-25-2018 07:51 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I understand. I run a car club web site and moderate an international web site for cars. I only posted that to give those in charge something to consider. I ran a forum and chat on my club's web site for a while. The chat was wildly popular but the forum died out after a while due to social media and the more immediate feedback of those forms of online experiences. Something to keep in mind.

The thing to remember is we're bound by the setup that the CSN site as a whole uses. Live chat goes through forum software, and it's not as if GTS hasn't had a ton of issues with that recently or something.

I think this is a good idea. In the absence of being able to run one here, we can probably make this work. Especially on gamedays.
06-25-2018 08:10 PM
Advertisement

troutbummike Offline
1st String

Will you nerds be vocally arguing on your computers and watching on espn+ or what? I've done some live text-based chat during Appalachian games on Yosef's Cabin and it is typically just a word or two of disgust or glee. If I punched this here discord into my innernet finder, could I say outrageous things in real time that aren't public record?
06-25-2018 08:13 PM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
Still no clue what you guys are talking about
06-26-2018 06:31 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(06-26-2018 06:31 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  Still no clue what you guys are talking about

It's a chat/VOIP service that's popular with gamers because it links to Steam and will soon (or already does) link to XBox Live. It has replaced Mumble and TeamSpeak to a large degree as the favored comms for gaming. It also has other features built in but that's the main purpose.
06-26-2018 06:54 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I think it's funny that it's called "discord".

So if I'm understanding correctly, basically it's a place where people can chat together online while watching a stream of a game?
06-26-2018 07:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.