Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

My internet speed problems (slow sports season, so leave it here, please)
Bookmark and Share
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
My internet speed problems (slow sports season, so leave it here, please)
Can someone who is tech-savvy explain to me what my problem might be?
We just switched from ATT U-Verse where we were getting about 12-14Mbps on download and about 1.2 Mbps upload, to Xfinity (Comcast). I just ran a couple of internet speed tests and came up with 26.45/2.45, but everybody in the house says it seems slower. We get spinning dials while pictures try to load, our phones are constantly showing a notification that we are hooked up to wi-fi (didn't use to do that), and most times my facebook interface on my phone is sloooooowwww.
Any ideas?
05-10-2018 10:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: My internet speed problems (slow sports season, so leave it here, please)
First world problems.

Perhaps your white privilege is interfering with the signal.
05-10-2018 11:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Honestly, I couldn't really tell you.
05-10-2018 11:47 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
Are you doing the speedtest on each device or have you just been testing it on one device?
If it is just one device, is the device that is getting 26mbps running smooth?

Some routers will give the first device full download speed and then the other devices get less if they are not wired.
05-11-2018 12:38 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline

(05-11-2018 12:38 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  Are you doing the speedtest on each device or have you just been testing it on one device?
If it is just one device, is the device that is getting 26mbps running smooth?

Some routers will give the first device full download speed and then the other devices get less if they are not wired.

Admitedly, the speed test was done on my laptop, and it does seem to be running smoothly. Smooth, but definitely a little slower than AT&T was. Our live streaming TV through the Roku also seems to be running smooth. It's our phones mostly.
05-11-2018 01:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geosnooker2000 Offline

(05-10-2018 11:41 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  First world problems.

Perhaps your white privilege is interfering with the signal.

No doubt...
05-11-2018 01:34 AM
Advertisement

EvilLore Offline
Caligula of the Toy Department

I Root For: Tiger blood
Comcast customer service is fairly decent so I'd call them up and ask to speak with a technician.

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and it turned out that Comcast had added a hotspot connection to go along with my primary line. My devices were trying to connect to the hotspot (which is much slower speed) instead of my primary connection. After I got that figured out, my speed has been blazing
05-11-2018 05:40 AM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
My comcast wi-fi has two settings 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. Not all devices can connect at 5.0Ghz. My phone and tablet can, but my wife's laptop can't.
05-11-2018 05:51 AM
Stammers Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(05-10-2018 10:39 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Can someone who is tech-savvy explain to me what my problem might be?
We just switched from ATT U-Verse where we were getting about 12-14Mbps on download and about 1.2 Mbps upload, to Xfinity (Comcast). I just ran a couple of internet speed tests and came up with 26.45/2.45, but everybody in the house says it seems slower. We get spinning dials while pictures try to load, our phones are constantly showing a notification that we are hooked up to wi-fi (didn't use to do that), and most times my facebook interface on my phone is sloooooowwww.
Any ideas?

It could be so many things.

1. What speed are you paying for? Check it out in your contract to make sure you are paying for that speed and not paying for higher speeds you aren't getting. I am amazed at how many people I know are paying for certain speeds and are only actually getting a fraction of that speed.

2. How many are you? That will definitely slow down your speed if you are 4-5 sharing your connection.

3. Hooked up to wifi is a good thing. It means that you aren't eating into your data plans with your phones and your wifi is bearing the brunt of your usage for all of your devices. It means that your phones are automatically connecting to your wifi, again a good thing. IF your phone and internet plans are separate, check how much data your phones are using. If the phones are using a small percentage, stay on your phones' networks to get the best performance without going over your data usage. This will free up your wifi for your most important devices.

4. If your ISP deems that you are hogging bandwidth they may be throttling you or slowing down your connection; check your contract and ask your ISP if they are doing this.

5. If your ISP isn't supplying your router, spend the money on a good one. $40 routers do a decent basic job, but they are useless when there are a few people connected to them with a lot of square footage to cover. The most important money you will spend is on a very good router, it will make a huge difference.

6. Ask your ISP about range extenders. You can either rent them or buy them and they cost as little as $25 each. They are very good when you need to connect in your basement or multiple floors.

7. Your router will give you the ability to connect on a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz network. For the devices using the most bandwidth, connect to the 5Ghz network. For phones or other devices that use less bandwidth, connect to the 2.4Ghz network. It will be slower but it should be more than adequate for your phone.

8. Make sure your network is secure and password protected. If it isn't, maybe you are being slowed down by neighbors piggybacking on your connection.

The simple solution is to talk to your ISP, but if you have the above questions handy, they will help you get to the root of the problem(s).
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 06:05 AM by Stammers.)
05-11-2018 06:03 AM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
Att Fiber
Mesh network
1000+ Mbps wired
500+ Mbps wireless
05-11-2018 06:26 AM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-11-2018 06:26 AM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  Att Fiber
Mesh network
1000+ Mbps wired
500+ Mbps wireless
This

I have Att gigapower. It's well worth the $90 bucks a month.

Regular speed tests for up and down wireless in the 500s.

They are slowly moving across the metro area so it might not be available in your area but I'd recommend checking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
05-11-2018 06:53 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Online
Legend

(05-11-2018 06:53 AM)maximus Wrote:  
Mesh network
1000+ Mbps wired
500+ Mbps wireless
This

I have Att gigapower. It's well worth the $90 bucks a month.

Regular speed tests for up and down wireless in the 500s.

They are slowly moving across the metro area so it might not be available in your area but I'd recommend checking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

He for sure needs much faster speed, a minimum of 60Mbps and ideally at least 120Mbps with unlimited usage.
05-11-2018 07:06 AM
Guitarman Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Are you in G'town Geo? Any chance you are near or around Houston Highschool?

Comcast has been having equipment problems since November. Not sure exactly what happened but something blew out in our area and I stayed on top of them for about 4 months then finally gave up. Stammers suggestions are applicable....call Comcast (and keep calling) until it's fixed. I pay extra for business class (I have to for work) but they did inform me that if you use too much data on a residential account, they will throttle you back just like AT&T does for unlimited wireless.
05-11-2018 07:27 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
It's apparent that we need separate forums for football, basketball and Internet technical assistance.
05-11-2018 09:03 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
You're in Fayette County, right? Because my entire subdivision in West Fayette had to file FTC complaints on the same day to finally get Comcast to fix our connectivity and speed problems.
05-11-2018 09:06 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Slow initial page loads from multiple systems while bandwidth throughput tests proved relatively fast otherwise could be slow DNS resolution. Go into your WiFi AP configuration and manually set your DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 and see if that helps at all.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 09:28 AM by 80sTiger.)
05-11-2018 09:27 AM
Advertisement

TigerTim Offline
All American

I Root For:
I have something like .6 mpbs and pay out the ass for it. Quit your complaining.
05-11-2018 09:59 AM
rssumme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers!
Mesh network
1000+ Mbps wired
500+ Mbps wireless

Can i get more detail on this configuration? I need to do exactly the same thing to increase coverage and speed throughout my house. Thanks in advance!
05-11-2018 10:00 AM
80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-11-2018 10:00 AM)rssumme Wrote:  
Mesh network
1000+ Mbps wired
500+ Mbps wireless

Can i get more detail on this configuration? I need to do exactly the same thing to increase coverage and speed throughout my house. Thanks in advance!

I don't have the great of speed from the provider, but I get 90% wired speed throughout my house over my new WiFi mesh setup using Netgear's Orbi system. It's unique in that it uses a dedicated channel to talk from the AP to the satellites. You get the full bandwidth in the channel if you only need 1 satellite, but you can add more and it splits accordingly.
05-11-2018 10:04 AM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
(05-11-2018 10:04 AM)80sTiger Wrote:  
(05-11-2018 10:00 AM)rssumme Wrote:  
Mesh network
1000+ Mbps wired
500+ Mbps wireless

I don't have the great of speed from the provider, but I get 90% wired speed throughout my house over my new WiFi mesh setup using Netgear's Orbi system. It's unique in that it uses a dedicated channel to talk from the AP to the satellites. You get the full bandwidth in the channel if you only need 1 satellite, but you can add more and it splits accordingly.

I'm currently using 4 Google mesh "receivers", each has 20' range in all directions, overlapping each other to create a stable signal throughout house.

I chose Google over the other options strictly due to looks, most are similar in specs.

Easy (practically dummy-proof) to setup, acts like router/extender combos, no more dead/weak zones, always connects device to strongest wifi signal "receiver", auto places device on least congested channel, and connects to strongest band automatically.

My house +3k sq ft, 2 story, with a lot of obstructions (walls, floor, stairs, etc). I have a strong signal from wall-to-wall, floor-to-floor, even outside. The only thing better is hardwiring directly into the router (although each Google mesh has ethernet output). You can plug these things in anywhere, or as many as you want, to overlap the signal.

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi
05-11-2018 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.