Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIT
Bookmark and Share
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
NIT
25-9 is better than all but three of the 32 NIT teams. Then the idiots have Middle Tennessee playing Vermont in the first round.
03-11-2018 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
NIT
We win just one of the last three home games and we are playing in the NIT. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-11-2018 07:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buc66 Offline
All American

RE: NIT
(03-11-2018 07:49 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  We win just one of the last three home games and we are playing in the NIT. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

And Forbes got his raise before that collapse — with talk now of him going to Georgia. And, of course, that’s the way it is as the university could be left holding the proverbial bag.
03-11-2018 07:54 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
(03-11-2018 07:49 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  We win just one of the last three home games and we are playing in the NIT. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

How in the hell did we go 0-3 at home to close out the regular season? It's times like this when you look back and just shake your head.
03-11-2018 08:03 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(03-11-2018 07:54 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

And Forbes got his raise before that collapse — with talk now of him going to Georgia. And, of course, that’s the way it is as the university could be left holding the proverbial bag.

If he leaves ETSU will be left holding 500k. The deal was good for us too.
03-11-2018 08:07 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(03-11-2018 08:07 PM)brock20 Wrote:  

I know this is discussed elsewhere. Educate me. Coach pays the university $500,000.00 or the other school that hires him?

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/et....16.18.pdf
03-11-2018 08:19 PM
Advertisement

brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(03-11-2018 08:19 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 08:07 PM)brock20 Wrote:  

I know this is discussed elsewhere. Educate me. Coach pays the university $500,000.00 or the other school that hires him?

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/et....16.18.pdf

I believe the coach is responsible for it but the hiring school usually pays it.
03-11-2018 08:39 PM
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(03-11-2018 08:03 PM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  

How in the hell did we go 0-3 at home to close out the regular season? It's times like this when you look back and just shake your head.
To the citadel none the less

Sent from my SM-G930P using CSNbbs mobile app
03-11-2018 09:49 PM
ETSUfan#2 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU, Tennessee, Vermont
(03-11-2018 09:49 PM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  
(03-11-2018 08:03 PM)etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:  

To the citadel none the less

Sent from my SM-G930P using CSNbbs mobile app

Unfortunate but not surprising. If we'd wanted an NIT bid without winning the regular season, we'd really have needed one or two additional wins in the nonconference part of the schedule. In hindsight, that 2 point loss to Xavier definitely could have changed a lot of things if it had gone the other way. I doubt we could have beaten Kentucky, and Troy could have gone either way, but in some ways I'm most disappointed with the road loss against Northern Kentucky. Despite being wins, I've also heard different things about how a win is or isn't necessarily counted in terms of games against Division II, Division III, or NAIA teams, such as Hiwassee this year, or Milligan in years past.

I'm not opposed to playing one Division II or III school at some point in the season, I've seen UT and Vanderbilt schedule the odd lower tier game at times, but even if it means shopping around, maybe approaching teams or conferences that we'd not otherwise consider, trying to avoid lower tier teams going forward.
03-12-2018 12:41 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

That is exactly right fan#2. We regularly play 2 regular season non-division 1 games. If we are going to play any non division 1 games, it should be an exhibition. I don't care if we have to sacrifice a home game, those games aren't much worth going to anyway other than seeing the walk-on play half the game. Go find another road matchup against a division 1 team and help your RPI in the process.

No matter who we play, we aren't going to ever get an at-large to the NCAA Tournament. However, playing a better schedule could help prepare the team for the conference season and help us with a possible at large to the NIT. It is clear that those are the only two tournaments that we are playing for with the current administration.
03-12-2018 05:40 AM
PreacherPurl Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-12-2018 05:40 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  That is exactly right fan#2. We regularly play 2 regular season non-division 1 games. If we are going to play any non division 1 games, it should be an exhibition. I don't care if we have to sacrifice a home game, those games aren't much worth going to anyway other than seeing the walk-on play half the game. Go find another road matchup against a division 1 team and help your RPI in the process.

No matter who we play, we aren't going to ever get an at-large to the NCAA Tournament. However, playing a better schedule could help prepare the team for the conference season and help us with a possible at large to the NIT. It is clear that those are the only two tournaments that we are playing for with the current administration.

You must presume that additional D1 road games would be wins against teams actually good enough to improve RPI. Big assumption. D2 games are not included in RPI or anything else except record so there is no disadvantage to playing a couple. When was the last time a SoCon team got an at large to NCAA or NIT? Unless they play and beat at least 4 and more likely 5 or 6 P5 teams in the top half of their leagues it ain’t happening. Ever. Fact of life.
03-12-2018 05:55 AM
Advertisement

BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

(03-12-2018 05:55 AM)PreacherPurl Wrote:  You must presume that additional D1 road games would be wins against teams actually good enough to improve RPI. Big assumption. D2 games are not included in RPI or anything else except record so there is no disadvantage to playing a couple. When was the last time a SoCon team got an at large to NCAA or NIT? Unless they play and beat at least 4 and more likely 5 or 6 P5 teams in the top half of their leagues it ain’t happening. Ever. Fact of life.

Here's the sad facts

ETSU vs NIT Field

ETSU RPI 92 (25-9) 2 non D1 wins
FGCU RPI 172 (23-11) 3 non D1 wins
Hampton RPI 237 (19-15) 3 non D1 wins
Wagner RPI 109 (23-9) 2 non D1 wins
Harvard RPI 116 (18-13) 1 non D1 wins
SE Louisiana RPI 150 (22-11) 3 non D1 wins
UNC Asheville RPI 129 (21-12) 2 non Di wins

So I would say the 2 cupcakes we scheduled probably did not cost us the NIT bid. All the mid majors are doing this it seems to get the schedules filled out. I think the wise thing to do is try and get some of these guys on the schedule as a home and home in the future.

The really sad thing is I am not sure how hard ETSU campaigned to be a part of the NIT field. Some of these teams are NOT OUTRIGHT league champs. Some shared. UNC-Asheville won the Northern Division of the Big South.

Coach Forbes is coming up on Bobby Radar's show at 9:30 this morning. Maybe Kenny will ask a pointed question or 2.
03-12-2018 07:52 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

(03-12-2018 07:52 AM)BaseballPops Wrote:  The really sad thing is I am not sure how hard ETSU campaigned to be a part of the NIT field. Some of these teams are NOT OUTRIGHT league champs. Some shared. UNC-Asheville won the Northern Division of the Big South.

But if they had the #1 overall seed in their tournament then they had an automatic bid to the NIT. I don't feel like looking but I'm pretty sure all of those teams you listed were the #1 overall seed in their conference tournament.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 08:19 AM by Bucster.)
03-12-2018 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buc66 Offline
All American

(03-12-2018 05:40 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  That is exactly right fan#2. We regularly play 2 regular season non-division 1 games. If we are going to play any non division 1 games, it should be an exhibition. I don't care if we have to sacrifice a home game, those games aren't much worth going to anyway other than seeing the walk-on play half the game. Go find another road matchup against a division 1 team and help your RPI in the process.

Off topic, but the Georgia players voted to skip the NIT after coach fired. But, 25-9 and done is little hard to swallow. I believe Forbes accepted responsibility for the three at the end, rightfully so. Maybe he will have a better end plan next season (if still around).
03-12-2018 08:31 AM
BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

(03-12-2018 08:18 AM)Bucster Wrote:  
(03-12-2018 07:52 AM)BaseballPops Wrote:  The really sad thing is I am not sure how hard ETSU campaigned to be a part of the NIT field. Some of these teams are NOT OUTRIGHT league champs. Some shared. UNC-Asheville won the Northern Division of the Big South.

But if they had the #1 overall seed in their tournament then they had an automatic bid to the NIT. I don't feel like looking but I'm pretty sure all of those teams you listed were the #1 overall seed in their conference tournament.

You are probably right on league tourney seedings, but not 100% sure. Harvard and SE LA were co league champs so not sure how NIT works when that happens. Hampton was in a 3 way tie with Bethune Cookman AND Savannah St. Yep that Savannah St - the one we beat by 15 this season. UNCA won the North in Big South along with I think Winthrop in South. Doesn't really matter I suppose as we limped into 2nd with the 3 game slide at home late.

I've always thought that each league should have 2 reps in the NCAA and NIT tourneys combined. That way there would be a much better chance of teams like ETSU and South Dakota (Not the Jackrabbits of SD State) which were snubbed by both as well. So Dakota went 26-8 with 91 RPI- ouch!
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 08:32 AM by BaseballPops.)
03-12-2018 08:31 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

For NCAA comparison purposes, we were 23-9. They don't include the Hiwassee and Tusculum games (even tho they count in our overall record).

Beyond that.........one thing some of you seem to keep forgetting is HOW HARD it is to schedule good OOC games. And that goes back to bartow and even Eddie D. bartow used to comment on it virtually every year. Nobody wants to play us, especially in JC. That's why Forbes has gone the route he has, with home-and-away series against Fordham, Detroit, UNC-A, UNC-W, Troy, Fresno St., Valpo (tho those last two were bartow), etc. Even Savannah St. and NC Central (if I remember correctly) Northern KY, too, although that developed differently when somebody else chickened out. And before that TN Tech and some others.

Coaches' jobs, salaries, NCAA bids, etc. ride on these things. Forbes just can't say "Gee, I'd like to play VCU, MTSU, Memphis St., Murray St., VA Tech, Wake, etc".........then call 'em up, and make it happen. Everybody needs to weigh everything out from the point of view of their own interests. Most of us have known this for a long time. Some disgruntled legislators in some states (don't remember the details) have even tried to *force* the big schools in their states to play the mid-majors, but of course that didn't go very far - it was just a way of expressing frustrations.
That's why we're more likely to get a game at KY than at Georgia, UT, Ole Miss, Vandy, or Auburn, for example. Those places well know the risk that losing to ETSU entails. It may be even harder next year as other teams look at our offer(s) and are reminded of what we *almost* did in Cincinnati.

And on the other side of the coin...........Forbes knows well the risks of playing, say, Winthrop, Radford, UNC-A, North Florida, Jacksonville, Liberty, Morehead St., etc. It's a delicate balance, and a delicate dance. This isn't news, but it bears remembering. That said, I don't see why a UNC-Charlotte or Marshall couldn't take a chance (again), or some others. But it's just dang hard to get good teams to play you, when you're as big a danger as we are.
03-12-2018 12:47 PM
Advertisement

BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

(03-12-2018 12:47 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  For NCAA comparison purposes, we were 23-9. They don't include the Hiwassee and Tusculum games (even tho they count in our overall record).

Beyond that.........one thing some of you seem to keep forgetting is HOW HARD it is to schedule good OOC games. And that goes back to bartow and even Eddie D. bartow used to comment on it virtually every year. Nobody wants to play us, especially in JC. That's why Forbes has gone the route he has, with home-and-away series against Fordham, Detroit, UNC-A, UNC-W, Troy, Fresno St., Valpo (tho those last two were bartow), etc. Even Savannah St. and NC Central (if I remember correctly) Northern KY, too, although that developed differently when somebody else chickened out. And before that TN Tech and some others.

Coaches' jobs, salaries, NCAA bids, etc. ride on these things. Forbes just can't say "Gee, I'd like to play VCU, MTSU, Memphis St., Murray St., VA Tech, Wake, etc".........then call 'em up, and make it happen. Everybody needs to weigh everything out from the point of view of their own interests. Most of us have known this for a long time. Some disgruntled legislators in some states (don't remember the details) have even tried to *force* the big schools in their states to play the mid-majors, but of course that didn't go very far - it was just a way of expressing frustrations.
That's why we're more likely to get a game at KY than at Georgia, UT, Ole Miss, Vandy, or Auburn, for example. Those places well know the risk that losing to ETSU entails. It may be even harder next year as other teams look at our offer(s) and are reminded of what we *almost* did in Cincinnati.

And on the other side of the coin...........Forbes knows well the risks of playing, say, Winthrop, Radford, UNC-A, North Florida, Jacksonville, Liberty, Morehead St., etc. It's a delicate balance, and a delicate dance. This isn't news, but it bears remembering. That said, I don't see why a UNC-Charlotte or Marshall couldn't take a chance (again), or some others. But it's just dang hard to get good teams to play you, when you're as big a danger as we are.

Former doctor that was the reason I listed the NIT Teams records AND how many Non D1 teams each played this season. All those listed (except Harvard with 1)had at least 2 and some 3 non D1 games. not just ETSU. Agreed, it is super hard scheduling for practically all the Mid Major teams.

Another point I tried to make was somehow working together with these other like-minded, like budgeted mid majors (who like ETSU are all trying to make their mark in the NCAA hoops world) and scheduling each other in place of the of the Staten Islands, St Leos, and Mid Atlantic Christians of the world. Instead of Florida Gulf Coast scheduling the likes of Florida Memorial, Florida Tech and the powerhouse Webber International (all 3 they played this year) start a home and home series with ETSU. Who wouldn't want to go watch Dunk City invade Freedom Hall? I'm sure the feelings from FGCU's fans would be reciprocal when our squad came down to their house.

Just my $0.02
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2018 01:17 PM by BaseballPops.)
03-12-2018 01:15 PM
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

I think the fans would love to see FGCU in Freedom Hall, and vice-versa for their fans in Fort Myers. However, I believe FGCU is the team poster was referring to when he mentioned somebody had 'chickened out'. ETSU tried exactly what you mentioned and had an agreement in place, but FGCU backed out of the deal and was replaced with NKU.
03-12-2018 01:34 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2018 01:15 PM)BaseballPops Wrote:  
(03-12-2018 12:47 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  For NCAA comparison purposes, we were 23-9. They don't include the Hiwassee and Tusculum games (even tho they count in our overall record).

Former doctor that was the reason I listed the NIT Teams records AND how many Non D1 teams each played this season. All those listed (except Harvard with 1)had at least 2 and some 3 non D1 games. not just ETSU. Agreed, it is super hard scheduling for practically all the Mid Major teams.

Another point I tried to make was somehow working together with these other like-minded, like budgeted mid majors (who like ETSU are all trying to make their mark in the NCAA hoops world) and scheduling each other in place of the of the Staten Islands, St Leos, and Mid Atlantic Christians of the world. Instead of Florida Gulf Coast scheduling the likes of Florida Memorial, Florida Tech and the powerhouse Webber International (all 3 they played this year) start a home and home series with ETSU. Who wouldn't want to go watch Dunk City invade Freedom Hall? I'm sure the feelings from FGCU's fans would be reciprocal when our squad came down to their house.

Just my $0.02

Oh, I know. I include you among the many here who "get it". And going to that web site (can't remember it off-hand) where all the coaches and ADs post their "needs" and "wants" for scheduling is an eye-opener for those who haven't checked that out.

(And yes, I think it was FGCU that chickened out.)
03-12-2018 01:39 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

I've seen several FGCU fans on twitter and other places mention how they wish they could play ETSU and Mercer again. Some even saying they would like to join Socon, but we know that ain't happening with the present Socon leadership.
03-12-2018 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.