Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston Committed To Madison
Bookmark and Share
AllForDukes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
[u]Mike Houston isn’t going anywhere. At least not right now.

“My thing is this, I am fortunate to be the head football coach at James Madison University,” Houston said Sunday after finishing practice in preparation for the top-seeded Dukes’ second-round FCS playoff contest against Stony Brook.

“It is a special place and I am committed to these coaches, these kids, our institution and our alumni,” he said. “And we’ve got a goal in front of us that we have not reached yet for the 2017 season. And we’re all committed to do whatever we can together to go and achieve that goal.”
11-27-2017 06:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
I did think the article was better than nothing, but it didn’t do anything to dispel that he isn’t going anywhere. He just isn’t going anywhere as of Sunday, November 26th.
11-27-2017 06:54 AM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
RE: Houston Committed To Madison
I think he is saying that he is focused on the new week/next game commitment to JMU and this team. Hopefully this will be the mantra through January 6. The team and he does not need any distractions.

Us on the other hand, we thrive on distractions, unfortunately.
11-27-2017 07:18 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2017 07:18 AM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  I think he is saying that he is focused on the new week/next game commitment to JMU and this team. Hopefully this will be the mantra through January 6. The team and he does not need any distractions.

Us on the other hand, we thrive on distractions, unfortunately.

Exactly. 01-wingedeagle

Houston also knows there is a new early signing period coming up Dec. 20th for 3 days...just 23 days away. He and the program doesn't need any unnecessary doubts being thrown into the heads of any of our remaining recruiting targets.
11-27-2017 07:28 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
http://www.wjcl.com/article/georgia-sout...k/13929583

So much for the idea that Houston would leave for a crappy G5 job
11-27-2017 07:31 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

But those gsu fans were so sure that an fcs coach couldn’t turn down their big boy offers of one win seasons. Good for Houston for turning down that offer. He can keep winning and get far better offers down the road.
11-27-2017 08:12 AM
Advertisement

JMU Offline
All American

(11-27-2017 07:31 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  http://www.wjcl.com/article/georgia-sout...k/13929583

So much for the idea that Houston would leave for a crappy G5 job

Did you read the article? He withdrew his name from consideration. I am sure it was GA Southern that had listed him in the first place. This has been hashed out in the TN opening thread all last week.
11-27-2017 08:16 AM
jmudukes Offline
2nd String

I Root For: jmu
(11-27-2017 06:50 AM)AllForDukes Wrote:  [u]Mike Houston isn’t going anywhere. At least not right now.

“My thing is this, I am fortunate to be the head football coach at James Madison University,” Houston said Sunday after finishing practice in preparation for the top-seeded Dukes’ second-round FCS playoff contest against Stony Brook.

“It is a special place and I am committed to these coaches, these kids, our institution and our alumni,” he said. “And we’ve got a goal in front of us that we have not reached yet for the 2017 season. And we’re all committed to do whatever we can together to go and achieve that goal.”

He knows that the JMU nation loves him and his staff.
11-27-2017 08:46 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2017 08:46 AM)jmudukes Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 06:50 AM)AllForDukes Wrote:  [u]Mike Houston isn’t going anywhere. At least not right now.

He knows that the JMU nation loves him and his staff.

True. Let's hope the 'JMU nation' shows up Saturday. If we do a 15K kind of thing at BFS, it won't look well to Mr. Houston.
11-27-2017 09:08 AM
JMUNewbill Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2017 09:08 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  [quote='jmudukes' pid='14827793' dateline='1511790382']
[quote='AllForDukes' pid='14827610' dateline='1511783426']

If we do a 15K kind of thing at BFS, it won't look well to Mr. Houston.

Last year's reported attendance for the second round game against UNH was 13231. Even if you assume under-reporting of ~12%, you're still only at 15k.

The national championship may give us a small boost this weekend, but at the end of the day, its hard to get people to the valley for the playoffs. Its cold, its closer to the holidays, people have less vacation, the dog is sick, etc.
11-27-2017 09:28 AM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(11-27-2017 09:28 AM)JMUNewbill Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 09:08 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  [quote='jmudukes' pid='14827793' dateline='1511790382']
[quote='AllForDukes' pid='14827610' dateline='1511783426']

If we do a 15K kind of thing at BFS, it won't look well to Mr. Houston.

Last year's reported attendance for the second round game against UNH was 13231. Even if you assume under-reporting of ~12%, you're still only at 15k.

The national championship may give us a small boost this weekend, but at the end of the day, its hard to get people to the valley for the playoffs. Its cold, its closer to the holidays, people have less vacation, the dog is sick, etc.

But yet we are supposed to be a big time program. For a school of our size with the alumni base that we have within a 2 hour radius anything under 20K to me with the team we have is just not good.
11-27-2017 09:31 AM
Advertisement

jmu007 Offline
All American

When it comes to the playoffs, I believe it's more about quality over quantity when it comes to the crowds. Last year the stadium was never close to full, but man did it have some energy. So long as that continues, we'll be just fine and the Dukes will have the home field advantage. I also think, based on comments made by him, HCMH gets this as well.
11-27-2017 09:33 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Our playoff attendance only amplifies how most of our fan base feels that they need months to plan a game and can't simply "show up with a week's notice". They also start letting the cold be an excuse, ala the richmond game last home game. Sold out, but only 60-75% full at its peak.
11-27-2017 09:37 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2017 09:33 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  When it comes to the playoffs, I believe it's more about quality over quantity when it comes to the crowds. Last year the stadium was never close to full, but man did it have some energy. So long as that continues, we'll be just fine and the Dukes will have the home field advantage. I also think, based on comments made by him, HCMH gets this as well.

Yeah. Last year's two playoff games were only 13-15k but that was probably the real butts in seats number and those 15k were energized and loud. It's amazing how 15k can produce more noise than the 25k usually makes when it's a sold out regular season game. It's a difference of most casual fans not showing up.
11-27-2017 09:39 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
There is a reason FBS takes most of December off.

Fact is, the weeks b/t Thanksgiving and Christmas are packed with family commitments and social commitments. Not everyone can/will drop those for playoff games.

And finally, yes, cold/bad weather will dampen ANY crowd at ANY school.

15-20k would be an excellent turnout on Saturday.
11-27-2017 09:43 AM
jmu007 Offline
All American

And luckily for all those "fair weather" fans out there. The Dukes are looking at a current forecast of 52 and mostly sunny. So that's one excuse off the table 04-cheers
11-27-2017 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Looks like lots of seats available in the 400 sections (I guess as to be expected)...

https://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce...Code=&cgc=
11-27-2017 09:52 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-27-2017 09:43 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  And luckily for all those "fair weather" fans out there. The Dukes are looking at a current forecast of 52 and mostly sunny. So that's one excuse off the table 04-cheers

These are people that consider anything below 65 as freezing. That still doesn't cancel their neighbor's holiday party either unfortunately.
11-27-2017 09:52 AM
NovaDukes Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-27-2017 09:52 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 09:43 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  And luckily for all those "fair weather" fans out there. The Dukes are looking at a current forecast of 52 and mostly sunny. So that's one excuse off the table 04-cheers

These are people that consider anything below 65 as freezing. That still doesn't cancel their neighbor's holiday party either unfortunately.

Their neighbor doesn't root and should be given a private tour of the pit of misery! Dilly, Dilly!
11-27-2017 09:55 AM
jmu98 Offline
All American

(11-27-2017 09:52 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Looks like lots of seats available in the 400 sections (I guess as to be expected)...

https://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce...Code=&cgc=

You need to log in to really see what is available. Plenty available down low, though there are some sections that have no seats.
11-27-2017 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.