I Root For: Southern Miss

Sources say that will not happen.
12-05-2004 08:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Matt97 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I think the only way Louisville loses Petrino this year is if Notre Dame comes calling with a vault full of cash. But would ND hire a man with an Italian name???
12-05-2004 10:15 AM
Soaring Eagle Offline
Veni, vidi, vici

CrappiesCrappies

Matt97 Wrote:I think the only way Louisville loses Petrino this year is if Notre Dame comes calling witha vault full of cash. But would ND hire a man with an Italian name???
Italian name?

can you tell me where the Vatican is located?<a href='http://bgi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&tid=44082517&sid=&style=2' target='_blank'>ND Petrino is the Answer</a>
12-05-2004 10:55 AM
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

I'm still hoping that ND will hire Dan Hawkins (Boise St). Ole MIss will end up settling for some assistant coach. Unless Rick Nueheisle does not get any attention from anyone else. But he's a west coast guy & I look for him to stay out there.
12-05-2004 11:43 AM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

I hate Ole Miss and I hate Louisville. I want Petrino to leave Louisville, but not for Ole Miss. I give the man credit. He's good, so I certainly don't want him anywhere near USM. Notre Dame could certainly outbid Ole Miss AND Louisville. I hear Ron Cooper is still available. 03-wink
12-05-2004 12:57 PM
Matt97 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Soaring Eagle Wrote:Italian name?

can you tell me where the Vatican is located?<a href='http://bgi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&tid=44082517&sid=&style=2' target='_blank'>ND Petrino is the Answer</a>
I understand all of that. But the "Fighting Irish" being led by an Italian??? I am not so sure it fits. Maybe it does?

We will have to wait and see.
12-05-2004 01:08 PM
Advertisement

1ndabag Offline
1st String

I Root For: Abp. Rummel

Matt97 Wrote:

I understand all of that. But the "Fighting Irish" being led by an Italian??? I am not so sure it fits. Maybe it does?

I'm pretty sure Willingham wasn't Irish. :rolleyes:
12-05-2004 01:26 PM
marshallisqbu Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall !!!!

1ndabag Wrote:
Matt97 Wrote:

I'm pretty sure Willingham wasn't Irish. :rolleyes:
How could you tell? 03-wink
12-05-2004 01:33 PM
MustangFanSMU Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I'm an Ole Miss fan (so yes, this football season was miserable) on the side of being an SMU fan -- Lots of family ties, tons of friends go there, and what not.

I don't think Petrino will leave Louisville for Ole Miss, but not b/c Louisville is a "better program." Seriously, that's funny Louisville fans think that. Ole Miss is in the SEC, period. Are they #1 or #2? No, but they typically have winning seasons and are sometimes on the cusp of getting into the heat of things. The only jobs in the SEC with less potential than UL are Vandy and Kentucky.

Ole Miss averaged 58,372 in a 4-7 Season ... and they're located in Oxford, MS with an undergrad enrollment of around 11,000 (Yes, it's a small state school). Louisville's enrollment is only slightly larger, and you're in a city, and you drew around a 40,000 average with a 10-1 season. That's not bad attendance by any means, but attendance means $ and Ole Miss has tons more than Louisville. Coaching at a marquee-state school in the SEC is more appealing than Louisville. Y'all have done a great job with your resources and you're a great team, but the prestige of the two jobs doesn't compare.

But here's why Petrino stays at Louisville. Let's face it, the new Big East is a joke. The fact that one of Texas or Cal (despite my hatred of the Pac-10) is not going to get in to a BCS bowl and yet Pittsburgh is should make any logical person mad. Petrino should win the Big East no problem next year. He wins a "BCS conference," gets BCS money -- and then when some more big-time big-time (JoePa won't be around much longer, Mack won't last much longer) programs open up jobs ... he's the front man.
12-05-2004 05:46 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

MustangFanSMU Wrote:I'm an Ole Miss fan (so yes, this football season was miserable) on the side of being an SMU fan -- Lots of family ties, tons of friends go there, and what not.

I don't think Petrino will leave Louisville for Ole Miss, but not b/c Louisville is a "better program." Seriously, that's funny Louisville fans think that. Ole Miss is in the SEC, period. Are they #1 or #2? No, but they typically have winning seasons and are sometimes on the cusp of getting into the heat of things. The only jobs in the SEC with less potential than UL are Vandy and Kentucky.

Ole Miss averaged 58,372 in a 4-7 Season ... and they're located in Oxford, MS with an undergrad enrollment of around 11,000 (Yes, it's a small state school). Louisville's enrollment is only slightly larger, and you're in a city, and you drew around a 40,000 average with a 10-1 season. That's not bad attendance by any means, but attendance means $ and Ole Miss has tons more than Louisville. Coaching at a marquee-state school in the SEC is more appealing than Louisville. Y'all have done a great job with your resources and you're a great team, but the prestige of the two jobs doesn't compare.

But here's why Petrino stays at Louisville. Let's face it, the new Big East is a joke. The fact that one of Texas or Cal (despite my hatred of the Pac-10) is not going to get in to a BCS bowl and yet Pittsburgh is should make any logical person mad. Petrino should win the Big East no problem next year. He wins a "BCS conference," gets BCS money -- and then when some more big-time big-time (JoePa won't be around much longer, Mack won't last much longer) programs open up jobs ... he's the front man.

The Louisville job is a better job then the Ole Miss job. If the Ole Miss job was so great they wouldn't be having trouble finding a coach who even has interest in the job. As for saying that it's a joke that Pitt is going to a BCS bowl but Cal isn't, the same can be said for Virginia Tech, who has a few losses, one of them to a losing team, and is still going to a BCS bowl.
12-05-2004 06:14 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

If the Ole Miss job was so great you would have Coaches lining up for the job. Face it, Manning is gone and the mystique of winning at Ole Miss has gone with ppl around the country. That is except for those that live in and around Oxford Mississippi.
12-05-2004 06:23 PM
Advertisement

Tigerbythetail Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
MustangFanSMU Wrote:I'm an Ole Miss fan (so yes, this football season was miserable) on the side of being an SMU fan -- Lots of family ties, tons of friends go there, and what not.

The Louisville job is a better job then the Ole Miss job. If the Ole Miss job was so great they wouldn't be having trouble finding a coach who even has interest in the job. As for saying that it's a joke that Pitt is going to a BCS bowl but Cal isn't, the same can be said for Virginia Tech, who has a few losses, one of them to a losing team, and is still going to a BCS bowl.
You're delusional. You do realize that Cutcliffe was the 16th highest paid HC in the ENTIRE country??!!

Yes, in the short term UofL MIGHT be king o' the hill in the NBE, then again......they might fall on their collective face.

In terms of compensation package, conference affiliation, and bowl tie-ins the Ole Miss job wins hands down.
12-05-2004 06:27 PM
MustangFanSMU Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quote: The Louisville job is a better job then the Ole Miss job. If the Ole Miss job was so great they wouldn't be having trouble finding a coach who even has interest in the job.

You just believe what you want ... Ole Miss will get a good coach. Y'all are a good team, but you're not a historical program. There's a huge difference. Right now, it's great having the Louisville job b/c you're on top of your conference. The SEC is on a whole different level.

Quote:As for saying that it's a joke that Pitt is going to a BCS bowl but Cal isn't, the same can be said for Virginia Tech, who has a few losses, one of them to a losing team, and is still going to a BCS bowl.

Umm No, it's totally different. While I'm not a huge fan of automatic bids for conference champions- if that's in place the ACC is heads and shoulders above the Big East. Virginia Tech is 10-2 ... with one of the losses being a 14 pointer to USC, overrated albeit but a legit Top 5 team to suffer a loss to. They also beat y'alls pre-season "Bread and Butter" team, West Virginia.

Now, if the best team the ACC could send was UVA -- I would complain. Is UVA a good team? Yah, they're a Top 25 team ... but do not deserve to play in a BCS game. Pitt lost to the crappiest Nebraska team in history at home, they lost to Syracuse, and to UConn ... they also took a D-1AA to OT to win and nearly lost to Temple.

I'm not saying Pitt isn't good -- but none of the Big East teams deserve a BCS bid over Texas, Cal, etc.

While the Big East probably won't lose its BCS bid, it lost all credibility when Miami and Virginia Tech left. Anyone who seriously thinks the Big East (current this year and reformed next year) is on par with the SEC, Big XII, Big Ten ... and even the friggin awful Pac-10 ... is delusional. Of course it's a better conference for y'all with the BCS $ and all- but you honestly can't believe that it can contend with the Major 5. You're a step-above the mid-major conferences ... but closer to them than to the big boys.
12-05-2004 06:31 PM
MustangFanSMU Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

HerdZoned Wrote:If the Ole Miss job was so great you would have Coaches lining up for the job. Face it, Manning is gone and the mystique of winning at Ole Miss has gone with ppl around the country. That is except for those that live in and around Oxford Mississippi.
I have family ties there ... but I don't live there. Ole Miss has a huge name throughout the entire Southwest and Southeast. And Southern football is more important than anywhere else haha .. just kidding.

Taking the Ole Miss job would be like taking the Oklahoma State job in the Big XII, or Purdue in the Big Ten. Definitely not the most successful programs in the conference, but you could easily turn them into one and you have a lot more resources- and tons more to offer than a Big East team.
12-05-2004 06:34 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Tigerbythetail Wrote:You're delusional. You do realize that Cutcliffe was the 16th highest paid HC in the ENTIRE country??!!
[QUOTE]
Ole Miss has no business paying a coach that much - shows that their FANS are delusional. Last season was their best in 25 years and they didn't even win the SEC West. Memphis will play in a BCS bowl before Ole Miss wins the SEC. They just fired a coach for having one losing season in 6 - insanity.
12-05-2004 07:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

Ole Miss is what happens when a bunch of lawyers run the school & have more money than they know what to do with.

Shouldn't they spend some of that $$ to get a mascot?
12-05-2004 07:30 PM
Advertisement

Observer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:

eagleriffic Wrote:Shouldn't they spend some of that $$ to get a mascot?
The PC police won't allow it.
12-05-2004 08:06 PM
tigercat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis always!

Va Tech defeated Miami, Louisville couldn't, and VT won the ACC their first season in that conference, so why would you compare them to a crappy Pitt or any other Big Least team?
12-05-2004 08:11 PM
tigercat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis always!

Tigerbythetail Wrote:
Cat's_Claw Wrote:

You're delusional. You do realize that Cutcliffe was the 16th highest paid HC in the ENTIRE country??!!

Yes, in the short term UofL MIGHT be king o' the hill in the NBE, then again......they might fall on their collective face.

In terms of compensation package, conference affiliation, and bowl tie-ins the Ole Miss job wins hands down.
Ole Piss' budget is only a couple of million more than Memphis, they paid the coach that money at the expense of other programs, ie basketball. It could be said Memphis compensates its coaches more than the weebles. As you know, Memphis doesn't get a whiff of BcS monies, Ole Mrs does every year, whether she shows up or not!
12-05-2004 08:16 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

tigercat Wrote:Va Tech defeated Miami, Louisville couldn't, and VT won the ACC their first season in that conference, so why would you compare them to a crappy Pitt or any other Big Least team?
Don't cry :frown: It will be alright in C-USA. We might even visit from time to time to see what is up. :rofl:
12-05-2004 08:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.