ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Richmond firm to help ODU with branding and marketing
cmett003 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
http://www.richmond.com/business/local/m...0b33b.html

Found this article (scroll down) about the Spurrier Group helping ODU improve its branding, marketing and public relations. Its described as a "total communications contract". I think this is a great move by ODU and has been needed for some time. Hopefully we see some results soon. Good move ODU.
05-24-2017 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
RE: Richmond firm to help ODU with branding and marketing
(05-24-2017 02:42 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  http://www.richmond.com/business/local/m...0b33b.html

Found this article (scroll down) about the Spurrier Group helping ODU improve its branding, marketing and public relations. Its described as a "total communications contract". I think this is a great move by ODU and has been needed for some time. Hopefully we see some results soon. Good move ODU.

I hope this is a sign of change for the university. We could really use the marketing boost from an athletic and academic standpoint
05-24-2017 02:46 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
This is great news! I hope this produces the results that so many of us have been looking for.
05-24-2017 02:53 PM
Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
The fact that the agency's founder has a daughter who graduated from ODU in 2012 is pretty cool also.
05-24-2017 02:55 PM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

Glad to see this...

I believe there are lot's of gains in the community available with a little bit of marketing.

Also, there is the misconception in the community that football tickets are never available so why try. It is sad that we have the "sell out" streak on paper when there are truly of seats available during most football games.
05-24-2017 02:57 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

This is very good news. Something ODU has needed for some time.
05-24-2017 02:57 PM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

Quote:“There’s been exciting stories about graduates from the university that aren’t getting out there. We were hired to help build a new brand for them and then all of the execution … to get the message out to stakeholders, to potential students, to alumni, all the way across the board. It’s a total communications contract.”

Much needed, looking forward to some progress
05-24-2017 02:58 PM
BigBlue23 Offline
2nd String

This is as exciting as our new WBB coach.

Long overdue but kudos to ODU!
05-24-2017 02:58 PM
Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
(05-24-2017 02:58 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
Quote:“There’s been exciting stories about graduates from the university that aren’t getting out there. We were hired to help build a new brand for them and then all of the execution … to get the message out to stakeholders, to potential students, to alumni, all the way across the board. It’s a total communications contract.”

Much needed, looking forward to some progress

I have a couple of graduates, in my circle of friends, who have been featured on national news outlets recently. It amazes me that the school hasn't highlighted them.
05-24-2017 03:29 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

You can only do so much in house. At some point you have to let the Pros take over . Excellent move!
05-24-2017 04:18 PM
bit_9 Offline

Great news! Kudos to the existing teams doing what they can with what they had available. But this will really take it that last mile.
05-24-2017 04:26 PM
Advertisement

cmett003 Offline
All American

I really hope they take that "Idea Fusion" crap out of every logo we put out there
05-25-2017 08:46 AM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(05-25-2017 08:46 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  I really hope they take that "Idea Fusion" crap out of every logo we put out there

Me too. It's embarrassing and low quality.
05-25-2017 09:03 AM
Maryland Monarch Offline
1st String

I kind of like, "ODU, the Yale of Hampton Roads!" (You have to defer to W&M as the "Harvard.") Just kidding. Just kidding.

Seriously, I really dislike the "Idea Fusion" branding too. To me, it means nothing and certainly doesn't leave a lasting impression. You might as well say, "Old Dominion. It's not as bad as you think!" or "ODU, you think it sucks now, but wait until you visit!"

ODU is a university on the move...academically, athletically, culturally. We're just beginning to hit our stride. There has to be a better way to communicate that with prospective students.
05-25-2017 09:15 AM
bit_9 Offline

I'm sure it'll take a while to work through the process of identifying our persona or identity as a marketing plan. What is our core identity and market it as such. I agree idea fusion is fairly bland.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
05-25-2017 09:25 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

Maybe they can sub-contract the I'm Shmacked folks. That seemed to generate a lot more interest than Idea Fusion ever did. 03-lmfao
05-25-2017 09:29 AM
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(05-25-2017 08:46 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  I really hope they take that "Idea Fusion" crap out of every logo we put out there

I agree !! We need a new slogan and a new campaign that builds pride in the University. I am worried that giving to the University is now down to about 5% of graduates. That speaks volumes about the lack of pride and support for the University that has provided so much opportunity to many.
05-25-2017 09:40 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(05-25-2017 09:40 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

I agree !! We need a new slogan and a new campaign that builds pride in the University. I am worried that giving to the University is now down to about 5% of graduates. That speaks volumes about the lack of pride and support for the University that has provided so much opportunity to many.

Pretty sure that's well within the normal range for most institutions. We can and should do better but it's statistically normal.
05-25-2017 09:46 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Excellent news. As a person who works in collegiate marketing, I can say that their partner 160/90 is one of the best in the field for this sort of thing. I am very encouraged by the fact they are involved. I hope they take the bulk of the work, and we are just signing with the Richmond firm because they were encouraged to go with a Virginia based company. If ODU actually lets them do their job and puts some serious money into this it could have a tremendous return. I'm excited to see what they come up with.
05-25-2017 03:16 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-25-2017 09:40 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

You have to start a culture of giving while people are still students. Make them aware of how current donors are enhancing their experience, so they feel a need to reciprocate later. At the university I work at we have a specific campaign to shift the mindset of our seniors into that of an engaged and giving alumnus. That happens 5 months before graduation. The senior class of each school even gets together to make a gift to the school. Sometimes physical, sometimes monetary. Its great because it starts a pattern of giving with them and each year tries to outdo the previous ones.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 03:20 PM by monarx.)
05-25-2017 03:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.