03-13-2017 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bull_Is_Back Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Scottish independence: Nicola Sturgeon to seek second referendum
Clearly...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/201...rexit-vote

The International Monetary Fund has predicted the UK will be the fastest growing of the G7 leading industrial countries this year and accepted that its prediction of a post-Brexit-vote financial crash has proved to be overly pessimistic.

The FTSE 100 index is now up nearly 28% since February and has climbed 12% since referendum day on 23 June.
03-13-2017 12:50 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I don't blame them, things changed a bit drastically since they had their last referendum
03-13-2017 02:03 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
There's a small movement to unite Ireland, NI, Scotland, and the Isle of Mann. Some within even push for Wales and Cornwall. Celtic Union or Union of Craic.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 03:03 PM by DexterDevil.)
03-13-2017 02:05 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
There is such hypocrisy on the collective left when it comes to self determination.
03-13-2017 02:12 PM
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(03-13-2017 02:12 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  There is such hypocrisy on the collective left when it comes to self determination.

how?
03-13-2017 02:21 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2017 02:21 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 02:12 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  There is such hypocrisy on the collective left when it comes to self determination.

how?

Make whichever decision you wish--as long as we agree.

Many on here supported the idea of Scottish Independence, and Brexit. That's ideological consistency--self determination.
03-13-2017 02:24 PM
john01992 Offline

(03-13-2017 02:24 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

how?

Many on here supported the idea of Scottish Independence, and Brexit. That's ideological consistency--self determination.

but the majority of brexiters advocated for leaving the EU shortly after begging scotland not to leave the UK even though EU membership was the single biggest reason for scotland voting to remain. that is a perfect score on the hypocrisy scale.

and IDK about you but I was 100% for scotland to remain but did a 180 after Brexit. why share a country with a group of people who didn't give a s*** about their fellow countrymen and decided to stab them in the back?

Brexit was completely untenable for gilbraltar, Northern Ireland, and Scotland. Wales/England knew this and voted for it anyway.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 02:47 PM by john01992.)
03-13-2017 02:46 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(03-13-2017 02:46 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the majority of brexiters advocated for leaving the EU shortly after begging scotland not to leave the UK

Source this claim please. I smell bull****.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 02:53 PM by Hood-rich.)
03-13-2017 02:53 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I'm all for Scotland gaining their independence if that's what they desire, but if the main reason they are pursuing it now is the EU they are idiots. With low oil prices and the failing North Sea oil fields they'll have to make austere budget cuts to get their budget deficit to a level where the EU would even consider their membership.
03-13-2017 02:55 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(03-13-2017 02:53 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 02:46 PM)john01992 Wrote:  the majority of brexiters advocated for leaving the EU shortly after begging scotland not to leave the UK

The Tories biggest argument in trying to convince people to vote no in the first referendum was that they would lose their EU membership by doing so, then not long after... Brexit. Among threats and other now broken promises.

http://www.businessforscotland.com/bette...ependence/
03-13-2017 03:11 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(03-13-2017 02:55 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I'm all for Scotland gaining their independence if that's what they desire, but if the main reason they are pursuing it now is the EU they are idiots. With low oil prices and the failing North Sea oil fields they'll have to make austere budget cuts to get their budget deficit to a level where the EU would even consider their membership.

Westminster has been no better for them than the EU has.
03-13-2017 03:12 PM
john01992 Offline

(03-13-2017 02:53 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  

stop commenting on topics on which you know nothing about.
03-13-2017 03:17 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2017 02:46 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

how?

but the majority of brexiters advocated for leaving the EU shortly after begging scotland not to leave the UK even though EU membership was the single biggest reason for scotland voting to remain. that is a perfect score on the hypocrisy scale.

and IDK about you but I was 100% for scotland to remain but did a 180 after Brexit. why share a country with a group of people who didn't give a s*** about their fellow countrymen and decided to stab them in the back?

Brexit was completely untenable for gilbraltar, Northern Ireland, and Scotland. Wales/England knew this and voted for it anyway.

I see a great distinction between membership in a multi-national union and being part of a single nation, but I can kind of see where you are coming from.

Personally, I wanted to see Scotland leave and I wanted to see the UK leave. I believe in nationalism and national self determination.
03-13-2017 03:23 PM
john01992 Offline

(03-13-2017 03:23 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

how?

I see a great distinction between membership in a multi-national union and being part of a single nation, but I can kind of see where you are coming from.

Personally, I wanted to see Scotland leave and I wanted to see the UK leave. I believe in nationalism and national self determination.

bold ==> it's not what you or I see it is what Brexiters see. Brexit leaders routinely branded Brexit and tried to make it the same as traditional independence declarations. a big talking point in favor of brexit was taking back their sovereignty and on the day of the vote a Brexit leader literally said this was britain's independence day.

but even without that it is still hypocritical because brexiters advocated for scotland not to leave and voted to do away with the EU which was the basis for scotland remaining
03-13-2017 03:33 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2017 03:33 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 02:21 PM)john01992 Wrote:  how?

bold ==> it's not what you or I see it is what Brexiters see. Brexit leaders routinely branded Brexit and tried to make it the same as traditional independence declarations. a big talking point in favor of brexit was taking back their sovereignty and on the day of the vote a Brexit leader literally said this was britain's independence day.

but even without that it is still hypocritical because brexiters advocated for scotland not to leave and voted to do away with the EU which was the basis for scotland remaining

I see it facially but not in depth.

The idea of national self determination isn't broken with advancing those stances. Scotland is a part of the UK in a different way than the UK was a part, or is a part, of the EU. The bond is not interchangeable.
03-13-2017 03:36 PM
john01992 Offline

(03-13-2017 03:36 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 03:33 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(03-13-2017 02:24 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Make whichever decision you wish--as long as we agree.

I see it facially but not in depth.

The idea of national self determination isn't broken with advancing those stances. Scotland is a part of the UK in a different way than the UK was a part, or is a part, of the EU. The bond is not interchangeable.

were arguing trivial stuff here. I agree with what you are saying but don't see how it's relevant considering Brexiters openly argued otherwise.
03-13-2017 03:43 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Does Scotland have an Army or Navy?
03-13-2017 03:45 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

(03-13-2017 03:45 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Does Scotland have an Army or Navy?

Does Ireland?

To add, there are Scottish in the British Military and I'd assume they become Scottish military the minute independence is passed. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Re...f_Scotland
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2017 03:50 PM by DexterDevil.)
03-13-2017 03:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.