Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

summers fired?
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
summers fired?
WTOC in Savannah is reporting that there are rumors Summers has been fired. The smoke is getting thicker. if this is true some big Money boosters must have kicked in quite a sum of money
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016 08:07 PM by GaSoEagle.)
11-29-2016 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hendoapp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: app state
RE: summers fired?
07-coffee3
11-29-2016 07:50 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Well if they could support Monet, surely they could pay off a football coach.

(It was too easy)
11-29-2016 07:51 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(11-29-2016 07:36 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  WTOC in Savannah is reporting that there are rumors Summers has been fired. The smoke is getting thicker. if this is true some big Monet boosters must have kicked in quite a sum of money

Likely in an effort to poach staff from Navy, Army or Georgia Tech.
11-29-2016 07:56 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Looks like just twitter speculation
11-29-2016 07:58 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(11-29-2016 07:56 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 07:36 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  WTOC in Savannah is reporting that there are rumors Summers has been fired. The smoke is getting thicker. if this is true some big Monet boosters must have kicked in quite a sum of money

Likely in an effort to poach staff from Navy, Army or Georgia Tech.

Jamey Chadwell's season just came to an end at Charleston Southern. Plausible.
11-29-2016 08:05 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

We ll see. I still have a hard time believing we cut him loose after 1 year but it would be met with celebration thru Eagle nation
11-29-2016 08:09 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(11-29-2016 08:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  We ll see. I still have a hard time believing we cut him loose after 1 year but it would be met with celebration thru Eagle nation

He promised to keep the triple option. Based on what was seen with Shuman, coupled with what happened with Hatcher, it's clear that a move away from the TO (and variations) are in place. It would appear that the administration at Southern wouldn't want to go through a time warp back to the Hatcher days and simply chalk this one season up to a mistake in hiring.

A head coach is a CEO and based on Summer's staff and their inability to adapt, he wasn't ready for the job he was hired to do.
11-29-2016 08:15 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(11-29-2016 08:15 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 08:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  We ll see. I still have a hard time believing we cut him loose after 1 year but it would be met with celebration thru Eagle nation

He promised to keep the triple option. Based on what was seen with Shuman, coupled with what happened with Hatcher, it's clear that a move away from the TO (and variations) are in place. It would appear that the administration at Southern wouldn't want to go through a time warp back to the Hatcher days and simply chalk this one season up to a mistake in hiring.

A head coach is a CEO and based on Summer's staff and their inability to adapt, he wasn't ready for the job he was hired to do.

For once I completely agree with you...
11-29-2016 10:09 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

Having seen anywhere where WTOC has said this...just looks like one person on Twitter who isn't even a journalist rumor-mongering.
11-29-2016 10:11 PM
gsumark14 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(11-29-2016 08:15 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Couldn't have said it better myself.
11-29-2016 11:55 PM
Advertisement

TheMackAttack Offline
2nd String

Firing Summers would be a terrible mistake. Even if he went 4-8 next year too you'd almost have to give him a third year because otherwise you aren't going to get quality candidates to apply for the job in the future for fear of getting fired before they can shape the program how they want. Satterfield has been arguably the most successful coach in the conference over the past three years and he went 4-8 at the FCS level in year one and started year two at 1-5.
11-30-2016 01:19 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(11-30-2016 01:19 AM)TheMackAttack Wrote:  Firing Summers would be a terrible mistake. Even if he went 4-8 next year too you'd almost have to give him a third year because otherwise you aren't going to get quality candidates to apply for the job in the future for fear of getting fired before they can shape the program how they want. Satterfield has been arguably the most successful coach in the conference over the past three years and he went 4-8 at the FCS level in year one and started year two at 1-5.

**sigh**

The comparison between Summers and Satterfield about their first year needs to stop.

The things that are happening are not good... at all. I'm not even talking about the on field issues.

I can accept rough start by a new head coach, but when the coach is doing ALL the wrong things and looks in over his head... that is when I have a problem.

This was a bad hire by TK and it has blown up in his face. Time to hit the reset button.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 07:51 AM by TheEagleWay.)
11-30-2016 07:48 AM
SENOREIDA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal
You call Chadwell right now and gauge his interest. If he says no, hang up and keep Summers. If he says he is interested, offer him the job on the spot, hang up and pack Summers boxes for him and leave them sitting for him outside of his office. I believe that is how you handle this.
11-30-2016 07:53 AM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

(11-30-2016 01:19 AM)TheMackAttack Wrote:  Firing Summers would be a terrible mistake. Even if he went 4-8 next year too you'd almost have to give him a third year because otherwise you aren't going to get quality candidates to apply for the job in the future for fear of getting fired before they can shape the program how they want. Satterfield has been arguably the most successful coach in the conference over the past three years and he went 4-8 at the FCS level in year one and started year two at 1-5.

Our program already has a shape. Potential coaches can leave their mark on that shape, but GS is Option U. It's been our identity since 1985 minus 5 painful seasons in the last 10 years.
11-30-2016 07:56 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(11-30-2016 07:48 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

**sigh**

The comparison between Summers and Satterfield about their first year needs to stop.

The things that are happening are not good... at all. I'm not even talking about the on field issues.

I can accept rough start by a new head coach, but when the coach is doing ALL the wrong things and looks in over his head... that is when I have a problem.

This was a bad hire by TK and it has blown up in his face. Time to hit the reset button.

There's other key differences, too.

Satterfield had a redshirt freshman QB, was basically rebuilding at WR, and didn't have an ideal situation at offensive line for sure. We have two accomplished senior QBs, a great trio of backs, and a talented offensive line including a preseason Remington watch list guy and a left tackle who was freshman all-American honorable mention last year.

Also, App State got better over the course of that year. We are clearly not getting better.

It isn't that hard to win at Georgia Southern. We're not one of those CUSA "marketz" teams. That's just the truth. If we were talking about 6 or 7 wins here many of us would be disappointed but we wouldn't want to fire the coach. Winning 4 games with this roster is just plain sickening and is a huge underachievement.

And that does not even begin to get into the apparent turmoil going on behind the scenes that The Eagle Way alludes to with some of our best defensive players inexplicably ending up in the dog house.

This cancer needs to be killed before it metastasizes.
11-30-2016 08:16 AM
Advertisement

BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

(11-30-2016 08:16 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 07:48 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

**sigh**

There's other key differences, too.

Satterfield had a redshirt freshman QB, was basically rebuilding at WR, and didn't have an ideal situation at offensive line for sure. We have two accomplished senior QBs, a great trio of backs, and a talented offensive line including a preseason Remington watch list guy and a left tackle who was freshman all-American honorable mention last year.

Also, App State got better over the course of that year. We are clearly not getting better.

It isn't that hard to win at Georgia Southern. We're not one of those CUSA "marketz" teams. That's just the truth. If we were talking about 6 or 7 wins here many of us would be disappointed but we wouldn't want to fire the coach. Winning 4 games with this roster is just plain sickening and is a huge underachievement.

And that does not even begin to get into the apparent turmoil going on behind the scenes that The Eagle Way alludes to with some of our best defensive players inexplicably ending up in the dog house.

This cancer needs to be killed before it metastasizes.

This part isn't really accurate. In Satt's first year, he returned maybe the best WR corps in FCS, including Sean Price, and three guys that are currently on practice squads in the NFL. Also returned an all conference QB (who was coming off an injury and wasn't the same), as Taylor was redshirted that year. Running back was the only unknown, but Cox was excellent from his first start.
11-30-2016 08:28 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(11-30-2016 08:28 AM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  This part isn't really accurate. In Satt's first year, he returned maybe the best WR corps in FCS, including Sean Price, and three guys that are currently on practice squads in the NFL. Also returned an all conference QB (who was coming off an injury and wasn't the same), as Taylor was redshirted that year. Running back was the only unknown, but Cox was excellent from his first start.

I remember Tony Washington and Andrew Peacock quite unfondly. Price I believe was already kicked off the team when we played that year, but it was still a good group.

I was not counting 2013 because you can't convince me that was a complete throw-away year that would have no bearing on what happened with Satterfield's contract. Jeff Monken and our OC at the time also seemed to be screwing around with things.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 08:33 AM by EigenEagle.)
11-30-2016 08:32 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Can we get a link? Or this goes in the "people are saying" file.
11-30-2016 09:34 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(11-30-2016 09:34 AM)StanMolsonMan Wrote:  Can we get a link? Or this goes in the "people are saying" file.

I have checked all of the area media outlets and have nothing. One of the Sports reporters for one of the local ABC affiliates have denied the rumors, which seems to have come from the Twitter account of one person who is not a reporter.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 09:41 AM by EigenEagle.)
11-30-2016 09:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.