ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monarch Nation PROUD Football SELL OUTS - Look around at others...WOW
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Monarch Nation PROUD Football SELL OUTS - Look around at others...WOW
After looking at these Stadiums from all over the Country, I realize how fortunate we are at Old Dominion to have some great fans. Not only for Football, but Basketball as well. I know the expansion of the AAC is a mute subject for the time being. However in the future it may become an option again and it would move us to another level of support. I also believe it could be an attractive alignment with a few AAC regional schools. It could compliment and even help their attendance as well.

[Image: Missouri_Football.png]
Announced Missouri Attendance 50,000

[Image: Pitt_football_attendce.png]
Pitt game against VA Tech
[img]

[Image: U_South_Florida_Football_attendace.png]
*South Florida of the American Athletic Conference

[Image: Tulane.png]
*Tulane of the American Athletic Conference

[Image: Indiana_win_over_Maryland_today.png]
Indiana win over Maryland today

[Image: FAU.jpg]
Western Kentucky @ Florida Atlantic

[Image: Virginia.png]

The amazing Attendance at Virginia when they played a Top 10 team Louisville

[Image: University_of_Buffalo_of_the_MAC.png]
University of Buffalo of the MAC

[Image: SJSU_and_UNLV.png]
San Jose State and UNLV of the MWC

[Image: SDSU.jpg]
SDSU-Utah State of the MWC

[Image: Fresno_State_and_Air_Force.png]
Fresno State and Air Force of the MWC

[Image: Houston.png]
After two loses and the Houston fans have starting jumping off the band wagon - AAC

[Image: TTU_TCU.png]
BIG XII member TCU in an overtime game against Texas Tech

[Image: Arizona.png]
Arizona of the PAC 12

[Image: Temple.png]
Temple of the American Athletic Conference

[Image: ECU_Football.png]
Even ECU is showing a slow down.... in Attendance

[Image: ODU_Football_sell_out.png]
[Image: ODU_Sell_outs_continue.png]
ODU 57 straight Sell Outs and counting
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2016 04:35 AM by ODU Oldtimer.)
10-31-2016 04:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Monarch Nation PROUD Football SELL OUTS - Look around at others...WOW
To be fair and play Devils advocate I don't think we'd sell out those big stadiums all the time either lol

Sent from my SM-T280 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-31-2016 06:44 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(10-31-2016 06:44 AM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  To be fair and play Devils advocate I don't think we'd sell out those big stadiums all the time either lol

This is why building a smaller, higher amenity stadium is the best option for ODU.
10-31-2016 07:50 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Temple's attendance is actually much better than in years past now that they've broken out of decades of suck. San Jose's stadium looks familiar. Cant wait for what should be a sold out Monarch game this weekend. To quote a presidential candidate, "its gonna be HUGE!"
10-31-2016 08:24 AM
bit_9 Offline

(10-31-2016 07:50 AM)FTW ODU Wrote:  
(10-31-2016 06:44 AM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  To be fair and play Devils advocate I don't think we'd sell out those big stadiums all the time either lol

This is why building a smaller, higher amenity stadium is the best option for ODU.

I've been in line with it all along. I think we're 15% smaller to start than I'd like for perception reasons but we did what we had to with the funding hurdles.

To play devils advocates we don't know what time in the game some of those pics were. If you took a pic of kickoff you'd have a pretty sparse Foreman vs 5 minutes into 1st. Our fans also fall into the slow to start category, much like our team at times.
10-31-2016 08:25 AM
MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

GREAT post - thanks!
10-31-2016 10:26 AM
Advertisement

ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
Wow some very interesting pics there, thanks. FWIW attendance is going down pretty much everywhere. If you noticed at the Tech - Miami game on TV there were empty seats at the corners and some other places that would not have been there 10 years ago. High school attendance in the 757 is down from 10 years ago and the crowds back then did not compare to the crowds back in the day. Then those high school kids show up at college and going to a game is just not a thing for them. Some of you may have noticed in the paper that for a big Hampton game a few weeks back they were hoping to get 3,000 and said it would be the biggest crowd in a while. Many of us can remember when a routine HS game drew more than that and the big ones were in the 10,000 plus range. The football world is changing big time and if they keep stretching games for TV commercials (college & pro) I am not sure how many folks will still be in the stands for any game in another 10 years. Okay, now on to this week and Marshall and another ODU sellout.
10-31-2016 11:53 AM
bit_9 Offline

^the commercial time outs are getting to be too much. It's tough to get my kid to want to sit that long. Let alone myself by the end of the 4th quarter my backs on fire. The appeal of high def and your recliner is not a tough sell for many. I "tough" it out because I like the live experience. But that number is obviously dwindling nationally.
10-31-2016 11:57 AM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(10-31-2016 11:57 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  ^the commercial time outs are getting to be too much. It's tough to get my kid to want to sit that long. Let alone myself by the end of the 4th quarter my backs on fire. The appeal of high def and your recliner is not a tough sell for many. I "tough" it out because I like the live experience. But that number is obviously dwindling nationally.

+ 1
10-31-2016 12:39 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

It's only worse at the NFL level. I wouldn't go to a game if you gave me a ticket.
10-31-2016 12:42 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(10-31-2016 11:57 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  ^the commercial time outs are getting to be too much. It's tough to get my kid to want to sit that long. Let alone myself by the end of the 4th quarter my backs on fire. The appeal of high def and your recliner is not a tough sell for many. I "tough" it out because I like the live experience. But that number is obviously dwindling nationally.

Don't give 'em any ideas Bit, next thing you know those chairbacks will be replaced with "recliner backs".
10-31-2016 12:55 PM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

Hmmm or everyone can purchase a virtual seat and you attend via your Oculus.
10-31-2016 01:33 PM
Maryland Monarch Offline
1st String

Attendance at live sports events is going to continue to decline. Kids now days are living virtual lives vs. real ones. You see it everywhere. They constantly have their faces stuck in their phones where ever they go. I just got back from a trip to Disney World and you can't believe the number of young people that were glued to their phones instead of looking around. They all have the attention span of a hyperactive flea and they are literally unable to sit through any down time without some outside form of stimulation.

Sports in general are also following this trend with fantasy sports, red zone/highlights, etc. More people are becoming more interested in the stats & highlights than in the actual event. They're losing their passion for the drama of the games as they unfold. It's sad to those of us that are older and love the games, but it's the way of the world. Things are constantly changing.

In that regard, I think ODU was smart to opt for a smaller, nicer stadium. In my opinion, its going to be more important to have first rate facilities that are sized appropriately for future crowds, than to have mammoth, generic boxes that are half empty.
10-31-2016 02:07 PM
Sidewinder Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ODU, ASU, UCR
Well said Md Monarch. We're much more likely to get sellouts with a first rate stadium, than a larger one with fewer amenities. Most of us on this board would attend an ODU game if we had to cross a moat full of alligators to get to the stadium, but many will not show up unless the stadium itself is a destination. Once people start attending games, they may become more loyal fans and continue to attend.
10-31-2016 02:24 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(10-31-2016 08:24 AM)monarx Wrote:  Temple's attendance is actually much better than in years past now that they've broken out of decades of suck. San Jose's stadium looks familiar. Cant wait for what should be a sold out Monarch game this weekend. To quote a presidential candidate, "its gonna be HUGE!"

We had about 30K for Cincy. We play in a 70K NFL stadium off campus, not a sub-20K seat stadium on campus. Our attendance is up nearly 4K per game since 2014. We're averaging just over 27K per game, which would look much better in our planned on campus stadium.
10-31-2016 02:40 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

(10-31-2016 01:33 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  Hmmm or everyone can purchase a virtual seat and you attend via your Oculus.

Just as soon as I finish up with Kathy Ireland.. I'll tune my oculus to the football game!

:)
10-31-2016 02:51 PM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

haha. I remember as a wee lad Kathy Ireland in the swim suite ads.
10-31-2016 03:26 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(10-31-2016 02:24 PM)Sidewinder Wrote:  Well said Md Monarch. We're much more likely to get sellouts with a first rate stadium, than a larger one with fewer amenities. Most of us on this board would attend an ODU game if we had to cross a moat full of alligators to get to the stadium, but many will not show up unless the stadium itself is a destination. Once people start attending games, they may become more loyal fans and continue to attend.

Which is why I would love to visit AT&T Stadium in Dallas. I hate the Cowboys with a burning passion but that building is on my bucket list of places I'd like to visit before I die
11-01-2016 06:48 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2016 06:48 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(10-31-2016 02:24 PM)Sidewinder Wrote:  Well said Md Monarch. We're much more likely to get sellouts with a first rate stadium, than a larger one with fewer amenities. Most of us on this board would attend an ODU game if we had to cross a moat full of alligators to get to the stadium, but many will not show up unless the stadium itself is a destination. Once people start attending games, they may become more loyal fans and continue to attend.

Which is why I would love to visit AT&T Stadium in Dallas. I hate the Cowboys with a burning passion but that building is on my bucket list of places I'd like to visit before I die

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!

04-cheers
11-01-2016 06:52 AM
ODalumni2015 Offline
Bench Warmer

Our stadium hold 20,118 fans. TCU's stadium for example holds 50,000 fans. If only 50% of its fans show up for a game, arent they technically till doing better than us?
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2016 01:02 PM by ODalumni2015.)
11-01-2016 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.