Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Serious question for FSU and Clemson fans
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Since you guys are pretty much the "face" of the ACC, has there ever been any thought to expand your football stadiums? Would definitely generate some more $$'s for you guys, allow more fans to see your games, and a great recruiting tool too, IMO.
06-18-2016 01:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FloridaState1990 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: FSU, UCF
RE: Serious question for FSU and Clemson fans
FSU is currently finishing up an $85 million renovation of the stadium including new digital scoreboards.
06-18-2016 05:47 AM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

I Root For: Clemson
Clemson stadium is already big enough. It has more seats per student than UGA.
06-18-2016 07:11 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
IMO, what they REALLY need is higher ticket prices (but fans won't like that)
06-18-2016 08:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(06-18-2016 08:09 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  IMO, what they REALLY need is higher ticket prices (but fans won't like that)

Given the discussion in another thread about FSU (& Clemson) remote location, I'd say that you are probably right. FSU fans have to travel further than most & Clemson has among the cheapest ticket prices among programs their caliber.
06-18-2016 08:53 AM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

clemson is now charging students for tickets I believe.

the tickets are definitely not cheap in an absolute sense.

Clemson is not that remote compared to other schools, and alumni live all over the country.

Clemson is as close to Greenville SC as CHapel Hill is to Raleigh.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2016 11:01 AM by ClemVegas.)
06-18-2016 11:00 AM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
(06-18-2016 11:00 AM)ClemVegas Wrote:  clemson is now charging students for tickets I believe.

Clemson is not that remote compared to other schools, and alumni live all over the country.

Clemson is as close to Greenville SC as Chapel Hill is to Raleigh.

You aren't comparing the Greenville/Spartanburg metro with the Research Triangle are you? Or are you just comparing distance to civilization? Chapel Hill has never been far from civilization as Durham has never been more than 8 miles and now is physically intertwined. On paper it's 24 miles from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, but in practice you never leave the urban developed area from Chapel Hill to well east and south of Raleigh. Unless something has changed in the last three years, it's still the boonies once you are a few miles outside Clemson except back toward the lake (which is must say is a very, very nice area).
06-18-2016 01:03 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
Clemson doesn't need to expand it is big enough. Maybe add more stuff to the stadium but the seats number is right.
06-18-2016 03:46 PM
IR4CU Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-18-2016 01:42 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Since you guys are pretty much the "face" of the ACC, has there ever been any thought to expand your football stadiums? Would definitely generate some more $$'s for you guys, allow more fans to see your games, and a great recruiting tool too, IMO.

Personally, I would like to see them expand to around 90k which I think could be done without negatively impacting the existing look and "feel". However, I am not sure this would be the smart thing to do at this point. I am sure we could fill the stadium for games with FSU, South Carolina, and big name teams like Auburn, Notre Dame, Georgia, etc.. The problem is that I don't think we could/would fill a 90k stadium consistently for most ACC teams - possible exceptions would be Miami, VT, and maybe Louisville. This is due to two things - not as much excitement (when compared to a FSU, ND, or UGA) when playing most of the ACC teams and most of the ACC teams do not have large traveling fan bases. No offense meant to any of our ACC brethren - that is just the way it is from my perspective. If Clemson were in the SEC, I think a move to 90k seats would be feasible and justifiable as we would more often play teams that would excite our fan base and these teams would also bring more visiting fans. Of course 82k in the ACC has been working OK for us for many years.
06-18-2016 04:28 PM
wrigley2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GT
(06-18-2016 04:28 PM)IR4CU Wrote:  
(06-18-2016 01:42 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Since you guys are pretty much the "face" of the ACC, has there ever been any thought to expand your football stadiums? Would definitely generate some more $$'s for you guys, allow more fans to see your games, and a great recruiting tool too, IMO.

Personally, I would like to see them expand to around 90k which I think could be done without negatively impacting the existing look and "feel". However, I am not sure this would be the smart thing to do at this point. I am sure we could fill the stadium for games with FSU, South Carolina, and big name teams like Auburn, Notre Dame, Georgia, etc.. The problem is that I don't think we could/would fill a 90k stadium consistently for most ACC teams - possible exceptions would be Miami, VT, and maybe Louisville. This is due to two things - not as much excitement (when compared to a FSU, ND, or UGA) when playing most of the ACC teams and most of the ACC teams do not have large traveling fan bases. No offense meant to any of our ACC brethren - that is just the way it is from my perspective. If Clemson were in the SEC, I think a move to 90k seats would be feasible and justifiable as we would more often play teams that would excite our fan base and these teams would also bring more visiting fans. Of course 82k in the ACC has been working OK for us for many years.

I know Louisville is expanding but are any other teams significantly expanding. UM may contract by going to their own stadium. Duke just expanded.

Like to see NCState go to 75K.
06-18-2016 06:47 PM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

(06-18-2016 01:03 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(06-18-2016 11:00 AM)ClemVegas Wrote:  clemson is now charging students for tickets I believe.

Clemson is as close to Greenville SC as Chapel Hill is to Raleigh.

You aren't comparing the Greenville/Spartanburg metro with the Research Triangle are you? Or are you just comparing distance to civilization? Chapel Hill has never been far from civilization as Durham has never been more than 8 miles and now is physically intertwined. On paper it's 24 miles from Chapel Hill to Raleigh, but in practice you never leave the urban developed area from Chapel Hill to well east and south of Raleigh. Unless something has changed in the last three years, it's still the boonies once you are a few miles outside Clemson except back toward the lake (which is must say is a very, very nice area).

i'm saying Clemson is not as isolated as you think it is. it is 12 miles to I-85 and Anderson which is part of the Greenville MSA. It is 19 miles to Easley a bedroom community for Greenville. To describe as not civilization is a bit much.

How do Chapel Hill students interact with the surburbs and office parks between CH and Raleigh? I don't see Durham as a big deal and big draw for college students. Chapel HIll is better than it. I could see them posibly going to Raleigh some to hang out with NC State friends or becamuse they are from Raleigh.
06-18-2016 08:57 PM
Advertisement

ClemVegas Offline
Banned

i don't think your average Clemson fan would be that excited about playing in the SEC vs the ACC. i just want to beat whoever is on the schedule and we have long time rivalres in the ACC that doesn't exist in SEC out of SC. UGA and Auburn are kind of weak rivalres and never play the other teams all that much in the past.

i would rather expand the acc schedule to 9 or 10 games so Clemson can play Va Tech and Miami more often.

Clemson has recently spent a pile of money on the west end zone, which including more box seats, and a new football facility that is being built between the stadium and the lake. Clemson already has too many people in town for games so i wouldn't want to make that worse with more seats.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2016 09:01 PM by ClemVegas.)
06-18-2016 08:58 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-18-2016 08:58 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  i don't think your average Clemson fan would be that excited about playing in the SEC vs the ACC. i just want to beat whoever is on the schedule and we have long time rivalres in the ACC that doesn't exist in SEC out of SC. UGA and Auburn are kind of weak rivalres and never play the other teams all that much in the past.

i would rather expand the acc schedule to 9 or 10 games so Clemson can play Va Tech and Miami more often.

Clemson has recently spent a pile of money on the west end zone, which including more box seats, and a new football facility that is being built between the stadium and the lake. Clemson already has too many people in town for games so i wouldn't want to make that worse with more seats.

Based on previous comments by Clemson fans on this site, I suspect you may be in a minority here. As I understand it, when the ACC backed off from going to 9 games a couple of years ago, the vote was 8 - 6 in favor of staying at 8 games. It would be interesting to know which schools voted for 8 and which wanted 9.

If there were 12 members when the initial vote was taken, there had to have been 7 members in favor of 9 games. That would suggest, to me at least, that Maryland was one of them, since there are now only 6 in favor. It also suggests that all three newer members, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville prefer 8 games.

Does anyone know for sure how the different schools voted? And has anything changed that would make anyone change their minds?
06-19-2016 07:52 AM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State

Florida State is not likely to expand Doak beyond its present capacity any time soon. What the university will do is what it is doing: making the game day experience more comfortable for everyone attending.

These adjustments fit national trends. We are seeing the middle class disappear at sporting events as in so many other places. In this century live stadium attendance is becoming a diversion for the materially well off. Fans in stadiums may look forward to an increasingly comfortable experience at an increasingly premium price.

For everyone else there is technology. Budget-minded fans will forego that experience to watch games from the luxury skybox in their living rooms. There they may enjoy climate control, cushy seats, great camera angles, crisp high definition images, and ready access to the 'fridge for much less than the cost of a round trip to the stadium.
06-19-2016 08:20 AM
IR4CU Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-18-2016 08:58 PM)ClemVegas Wrote:  i don't think your average Clemson fan would be that excited about playing in the SEC vs the ACC. i just want to beat whoever is on the schedule and we have long time rivalres in the ACC that doesn't exist in SEC out of SC. UGA and Auburn are kind of weak rivalres and never play the other teams all that much in the past.

I can not speak for all Clemson fans so what I am about to say is based on my personal opinion as well as those of my close friends who are Clemson fans. First, I do oppose a 9 game conference schedule. Second, if you look at ACC vs SEC teams in terms of excitement level generated among Clemson fans when we play their teams, the SEC wins hands down. If I was to rank these teams in 3 categories: high excitement, medium excitement, and low excitement, it would look like this.

High
FSU
VT
Miami
Louisville
USC
UGA
Auburn
Alabama
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Florida
LSU

Medium
North Carolina
NCSU
GT
Pitt
Arkansas
Mizzou

Low
Syracuse
BC
UVA
Wake
Duke
Vandy
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Miss State

There are way more high interest SEC teams than ACC. Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate our history with a team like Wake but in terms of sheer excitement, I just do not get excited about playing Wake (as compared to a UGA or a FSU).

And by the way, if I had my choice between USC and UGA as our annual SEC rival, I would pick UGA without question!
06-19-2016 08:39 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-19-2016 08:39 AM)IR4CU Wrote:  

I can not speak for all Clemson fans so what I am about to say is based on my personal opinion as well as those of my close friends who are Clemson fans. First, I do oppose a 9 game conference schedule. Second, if you look at ACC vs SEC teams in terms of excitement level generated among Clemson fans when we play their teams, the SEC wins hands down. If I was to rank these teams in 3 categories: high excitement, medium excitement, and low excitement, it would look like this.

High
FSU
VT
Miami
Louisville
USC
UGA
Auburn
Alabama
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Florida
LSU

Medium
North Carolina
NCSU
GT
Pitt
Arkansas
Mizzou

Low
Syracuse
BC
UVA
Wake
Duke
Vandy
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Miss State

There are way more high interest SEC teams than ACC. Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate our history with a team like Wake but in terms of sheer excitement, I just do not get excited about playing Wake (as compared to a UGA or a FSU).

And by the way, if I had my choice between USC and UGA as our annual SEC rival, I would pick UGA without question!

I am not surprised about your Georgia comment. I have heard that from several Clemson friends.
Missouri?

I would like the ACC/SEC work on a rotation where Clemson could play Georgia maybe every three years instead of 'lil carolina and Georgia Tech could play Auburn instead of Georgia.
Carolina is already scheduling 'lil carolina, maybe that could be the off year for the Tigers to play Georgia.
I remember those Clemson/Georgia games as being classics.
06-19-2016 08:55 AM
Advertisement

MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
(06-19-2016 07:52 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Based on previous comments by Clemson fans on this site, I suspect you may be in a minority here. As I understand it, when the ACC backed off from going to 9 games a couple of years ago, the vote was 8 - 6 in favor of staying at 8 games. It would be interesting to know which schools voted for 8 and which wanted 9.

If there were 12 members when the initial vote was taken, there had to have been 7 members in favor of 9 games. That would suggest, to me at least, that Maryland was one of them, since there are now only 6 in favor. It also suggests that all three newer members, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville prefer 8 games.

Does anyone know for sure how the different schools voted? And has anything changed that would make anyone change their minds?

I don't know for sure how the schools voted but Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville all have out of conference rivals that they want to play on a regular basis so it does not surprise me at all they would want to keep the conference schedule at 8 games.
06-19-2016 09:43 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
As a Louisville fan I am pleased to see Louisville listed so highly on this list. I can tell you that Louisville fans hold a special fondness for Clemson and their fans. We know how their leadership, along with Florida State and Syracuse, stood up for us when The ACC was looking for Maryland's replacement.

Every Louisville fan that visits Clemson comes home talking about how Tiger fans go out of their their way to make us feel at home when we visit. Louisville fans have tried our best to reciprocate.

Louisville, Clemson games are everything good about college athletics.
CJ
06-19-2016 09:47 AM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

(06-19-2016 07:52 AM)ken d Wrote:  Based on previous comments by Clemson fans on this site, I suspect you may be in a minority here. As I understand it, when the ACC backed off from going to 9 games a couple of years ago, the vote was 8 - 6 in favor of staying at 8 games. It would be interesting to know which schools voted for 8 and which wanted 9.

this website is a small number of fans. you can't extrapolate across all fans.

but I was talking about what I would prefer, not other people.
06-19-2016 11:49 AM
ClemVegas Offline
Banned

(06-19-2016 08:39 AM)IR4CU Wrote:  I can not speak for all Clemson fans so what I am about to say is based on my personal opinion as well as those of my close friends who are Clemson fans. First, I do oppose a 9 game conference schedule. Second, if you look at ACC vs SEC teams in terms of excitement level generated among Clemson fans when we play their teams, the SEC wins hands down. If I was to rank these teams in 3 categories: high excitement, medium excitement, and low excitement, it would look like this.

High
FSU
VT
Miami
Louisville
USC
UGA
Auburn
Alabama
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Florida
LSU

Medium
North Carolina
NCSU
GT
Pitt
Arkansas
Mizzou

Low
Syracuse
BC
UVA
Wake
Duke
Vandy
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Miss State

Almost nobody would support replacing SC with UGA. That is 100 plus year state rivalry.

I believe most alumni support and want to play NC State (Textile Bowl), UNC, G Tech, Va Tech, UVA, and FSU. I think Clemson - BC may be the best north vs south rivalry and the games are always competitive. I can't see anybody having a problem with Lousville or Syracuse or Miami but obviously not a strong rivalry there.

The rest of the programs, some SEC teams might be preferable in their place. If I was a travelling fan, I would prefer to go to most ACC campuses vs SEC campuses.

Clemson is already playing an additional SEC team in the regular season, and then often playing a 3rd one in a bowl game.

i don't see anyting exciting about playing LSU, their teams are typically boring on offense. Tenn has been a dumpster fire for the last 10 years with a decent season last year in a weak SEC east. i don't think that will ever be a consistently good program again due to there being more programs trying to be comeptitive in football.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2016 12:03 PM by ClemVegas.)
06-19-2016 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.