Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WKU, Southern Miss, La Tech and NIU contacted by AAC?
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
According to this guy. I don't believe a word of it

Daniel Figurelli ‏@FigurelliSports Feb 20
Daniel Figurelli Retweeted Jorge Martinez
NIU, W. Kentucky, S. Miss and La Tech have all been contacted by the AAC. S. Miss is the legit option that I know of Daniel Figurelli added,
02-22-2016 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: WKU, Southern Miss, La Tech and NIU contacted by AAC?
pls add southern miss
02-22-2016 09:44 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-22-2016 09:44 AM)panicstricken Wrote:  pls add southern miss

Rebuilding CUSA 2011. Awsome. I like MHver3's stuff better. He says we are going after BYU and 3 MW schools and are paying each a 5 million dollar bonus to sign (I guess the money would come from exit fees). All this Twitter stuff is pretty much fantasy. MHver3 I think actually did have some Old Big East sources because he was correct on a lot of the Big East Basketball split stuff, but I doubt he knows much about the AAC anymore.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 10:22 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-22-2016 10:16 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-22-2016 10:16 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I like MHver3's stuff better. He says we are going after BYU and 3 MW schools and are paying each a 5 million dollar bonus to sign (I guess the money would come from exit fees). All this Twitter stuff is pretty much fantasy. MHver3 I think actually did have some Old Big East sources because he was correct on a lot of the Big East Basketball split stuff, but I doubt he knows much about the AAC anymore.

Boise, CSU, SDSU, and (wait for it...) BYU...

5 Million Dollar signing bonus... Sounds like exit fees and other credits left behind the event of a raid.

Frankly, this plan has probably been a long time in the making, going back to the selection of the AAC name. I really can't see the impetus for expanding otherwise from 10, with teams in small markets that are just going to absorb resources.

This would be an obvious football move, and the 10 team AAC would be a great base already with the major players from our breakthrough season last year here to build from. That said, basketball can be bolstered through Western expansion as well. A 7 team west (including SMU, Houston, and Tulsa) would provide a good divisional set up.

[Image: the-west-wing.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 10:35 AM by BigEastHomer.)
02-22-2016 10:26 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
I don't believe it, but my order preference between those 4 are:

1. NIU
2. La Tech
3. WKU
4. Southern Miss
02-22-2016 10:40 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
While we're throwing things on the wall.... More info on the West Wing... (Colorado State, San Diego State, Boise State, BYU)

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 · Feb 19

Fwiw my AAC contact says TV deal can get better not just stay the same with additions of the 4 I mentioned yesterday.

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 · Feb 19

AAC also exploring a conference network model that could add several million to the yearly pot of $.nowhere near the P5 but (cont)

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 · Feb 19

(Cont)would be partnered with CBS and would allow cbs to buy more AAC content off of ESPN and increase their profile in sports programming
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 10:45 AM by BigEastHomer.)
02-22-2016 10:43 AM
Advertisement

dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
No thank you. I can only see this happening IF we were losing schools on the future.
Too many mouths to feed, and none of these add any depth.
Although it would be nice to play USM on regular basis again.
02-22-2016 10:46 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-22-2016 10:46 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  No thank you. I can only see this happening IF we were losing schools on the future.
Too many mouths to feed, and none of these add any depth.
Although it would be nice to play USM on regular basis again.

Why would schools like Memphis and Tulane want to elevate programs in their region (like a USM or La Tech) that they'd have to recruit against? (Besides taking revenue.)

The only way to "expand" the AAC brand is to go West and bring in new markets, new recruiting grounds, and open up the model that Marinatto pushed, by having games in all the time zones.

You can't tell me that part of Memphis's recent success hasn't been spurred on by their increased status in that region.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 10:53 AM by BigEastHomer.)
02-22-2016 10:50 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
This kid always posts his gibberish on Coogfans, and has pretty much been ran off the board because he claims to be an insider, but is almost exclusively wrong. It also appears that the tweet in the OP has been deleted. He must have received another backlash somewhere.

Take with a grain of salt.
02-22-2016 10:59 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
[Image: djc0S.png]
02-22-2016 11:08 AM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
IMO, if the AAC lost teams I would say from a perception standpoint any CUSA teams should be a non-starter.

The AAC programs have worked extremely hard through their investments in facility upgrades, hiring high profile basketball coaches, making a financial commitment to keeping it’s good young football coaches, new AD’s and improving it’s academic rankings to distance itself from the other G5 conferences. Adding additional CUSA schools would just feed the perception that the AAC is just another G5 and worse that that just a warned over CUSA.

Using USM as an example because they were brought up in this thread.

USNWR lists them as not ranked as a national university.
Athletic budget is 23 million.
Lost their football coach a few days before signing day.
Current basketball RPI rank is 305 and they are 4-10 in a bad CUSA.
They have no TV market

No more CUSA teams, it doesn’t make business sense.
02-22-2016 11:22 AM
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
If the American has a doomsday scenario, my suggestion is for the remaining schools to merge with the Mountain West Conference for football only (east and west and maybe we have a championship game in Las Vegas).

This may be the best choice for all the football members (MWC and American).

The American can stay together for all other sports. The MWC can stay together for all other sports.
02-22-2016 11:30 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-22-2016 11:30 AM)chess Wrote:  If the American has a doomsday scenario, my suggestion is for the remaining schools to merge with the Mountain West Conference for football only (east and west and maybe we have a championship game in Las Vegas).

The American can stay together for all other sports. The MWC can stay together for all other sports.

There is too much dead weight in the MWC to bring in all the old WAC teams (teams like Hawaii, SJSU, etc, would kill it).

Seriously, if there is to be a West Wing, you have to anoint the few, so they can gain traction against the bottom feeders.

Just like Memphis now has a solid advantage over the G5's in that region, you ONLY invite 4 out West, so the brand doesn't become diluted.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 11:43 AM by BigEastHomer.)
02-22-2016 11:36 AM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
If you are raided from above, you go and raid the content below. As it has been, and always will be. Just don't ever be on the bottom tier.
02-22-2016 11:37 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I think the AAC has better options. ODU has a pretty well rounded program and decent market. UNCC could be another in addition to UMass.
UTSA would be an option if they didn't still have Southland facilities (i.e. the convocation center used for basketball).
02-22-2016 11:45 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-22-2016 11:22 AM)NYCTUFan Wrote:  IMO, if the AAC lost teams I would say from a perception standpoint any CUSA teams should be a non-starter.

The AAC programs have worked extremely hard through their investments in facility upgrades, hiring high profile basketball coaches, making a financial commitment to keeping it’s good young football coaches, new AD’s and improving it’s academic rankings to distance itself from the other G5 conferences. Adding additional CUSA schools would just feed the perception that the AAC is just another G5 and worse that that just a warned over CUSA.

Using USM as an example because they were brought up in this thread.

USNWR lists them as not ranked as a national university.
Athletic budget is 23 million.
Lost their football coach a few days before signing day.
Current basketball RPI rank is 305 and they are 4-10 in a bad CUSA.
They have no TV market

No more CUSA teams, it doesn’t make business sense.

If I recall correctly, the S Miss basketball program also is facing some major NCAA issues including academic fraud. They could end up with penalties that hamstring basketball for a while.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016 11:49 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-22-2016 11:47 AM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(02-22-2016 11:45 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I think the AAC has better options. ODU has a pretty well rounded program and decent market. UNCC could be another in addition to UMass.
UTSA would be an option if they didn't still have Southland facilities (i.e. the convocation center used for basketball).

The AAC doesn't have to take startups, MWC boy.
02-22-2016 11:48 AM
NYCTUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(02-22-2016 11:36 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(02-22-2016 11:30 AM)chess Wrote:  If the American has a doomsday scenario, my suggestion is for the remaining schools to merge with the Mountain West Conference for football only (east and west and maybe we have a championship game in Las Vegas).

There is too much dead weight in the MWC to bring in all the old WAC teams (teams like Hawaii, SJSU, etc, would kill it).

Seriously, if there is to be a West Wing, you have to anoint the few, so they can gain traction against the bottom feeders.

Just like Memphis now has a solid advantage over the G5's in that region, you ONLY invite 4 out West, so the brand doesn't become diluted.

I tend to agree with this. The AAC has positioned itself as the premier G5, why through a life line to the MWC programs that wouldn’t bring value to the conference.

Another issue with this is a western expansion needs to be strategic in the sense that any program that would be brought in as a football only playing member would need to find a home conference that offered all sports with the exception of FBS football. It’s why Navy can keep all their sports with the exception of football in the Patriot League and football in the AAC.

If you have a merger it would need to be for all sports and then you would have ridiculous travel expenses each year and you also have that sticky situation with BSU and the uneven distribution of TV revenue.

IMO A merger is not a realistic option.
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
The kid is a student at A&M now. He's been proven wrong over and over again about so many things but because he once had a picture taken with some powerful people, a lot of Coog fans believe his stuff.

The only thing I believe about him is that he has a diagnosable disorder. He was already busted on another board posting from various accounts from the same ip address to try and build credibility. He was also caught lying about his relationship with Fertita and about his academic resume.

He's an attention whore. In fact, I haven't seen him or Bearcat#1 in the same room at the same time...
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(02-22-2016 11:48 AM)CornellCoog Wrote:  The kid is a student at A&M now. He's been proven wrong over and over again about so many things but because he once had a picture taken with some powerful people, a lot of Coog fans believe his stuff.

The only thing I believe about him is that he has a diagnosable disorder. He was already busted on another board posting from various accounts from the same ip address to try and build credibility. He was also caught lying about his relationship with Fertita and about his academic resume.

He's an attention whore. In fact, I haven't seen him or Bearcat#1 in the same room at the same time...

He says he's an Aggie - enough said
02-22-2016 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.