Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Camellia Bowl
Bookmark and Share
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Camellia Bowl
The Ohio Bobcats (8-4) take on The Appalachian State Mountaineers (10-2) in the Camellia Bowl on Saturday, December 19th at 5:30 PM. The game will be broadcast on ESPN at the Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama.

This is building up to be an interesting match up, as this will be App State's first ever FBS bowl game. While the Mountaineers are used to post season football, winning three straight FCS National Championships between 2005 and 2007, they've had to sit out of the party the last two years due to the transition rules to the FBS level. Meanwhile, Ohio has been no stranger to post season football in the last decade. They've been bowl eligible for the last seven seasons and have gone to bowl games in 6 of the last 7.

Online betting sites have App State sitting at 8 point favorites as of this posting.

So will Ohio overcome the odds to earn their third bowl win in program history, or will Appalachian State come out victorious with their first ever FBS bowl trophy in hand?
12-14-2015 10:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Meathead Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: AppState
RE: Camellia Bowl
I know it's a homer pick but I see App covering this spread easily. I've seen Ohio play twice (Idaho & Marshall) and your team is good... and even though you guys seem to be on a roll at the end of the season, that midseason meltdown has to be concerning. There are a couple of injuries on the App side that have me a little uncomfortable, but overall I believe (or at least I want to believe) that App will shut down your offense and will have a lot of success running the ball on your defense. I'll be there yelling my head off either way and I'm very excited to experience App State's first bowl game! Hope to meet some new friends from Ohio while I'm there... Go APP!
12-15-2015 03:07 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

The general consensus seems to be that Ohio is gonna get smoked in this bowl game... I really hope it's not a repeat of the 2010 New Orleans Bowl... that got ugly, quick. I think we were losing 38-7 at half time if I remember correctly. Thank god Bourbon Street softened the pain from that game.

For those who are curious, this is Hustle Belt's Brandon Fitzsimons' picks for MAC bowl games this year.

http://www.hustlebelt.com/2015/12/15/101...owl-season
12-16-2015 10:54 AM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

Ohio vs Appalachian State - Raycom Camellia Bowl - Look, Ohio has done some good things this year. They beat NIU (albeit with the Huskies' fifth-string QB), they finished 2nd in the East, and they beat Marshall! However, Appalachian State is on another level. They win their first bowl game ever

Seriously? I don't think so. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us, but another level from NIU and Marshall?
12-16-2015 11:08 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(12-15-2015 03:07 PM)Meathead Wrote:  I know it's a homer pick but I see App covering this spread easily. I've seen Ohio play twice (Idaho & Marshall) and your team is good... and even though you guys seem to be on a roll at the end of the season, that midseason meltdown has to be concerning. There are a couple of injuries on the App side that have me a little uncomfortable, but overall I believe (or at least I want to believe) that App will shut down your offense and will have a lot of success running the ball on your defense. I'll be there yelling my head off either way and I'm very excited to experience App State's first bowl game! Hope to meet some new friends from Ohio while I'm there... Go APP!

What's the situation on the OL? Might need them at least mostly healthy to win the game.
12-16-2015 12:53 PM
Meathead Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: AppState
Camellia Bowl
(12-16-2015 12:53 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 03:07 PM)Meathead Wrote:  I know it's a homer pick but I see App covering this spread easily. I've seen Ohio play twice (Idaho & Marshall) and your team is good... and even though you guys seem to be on a roll at the end of the season, that midseason meltdown has to be concerning. There are a couple of injuries on the App side that have me a little uncomfortable, but overall I believe (or at least I want to believe) that App will shut down your offense and will have a lot of success running the ball on your defense. I'll be there yelling my head off either way and I'm very excited to experience App State's first bowl game! Hope to meet some new friends from Ohio while I'm there... Go APP!

What's the situation on the OL? Might need them at least mostly healthy to win the game.

Was hoping Nunn would be back but that doesn't look to happen. Thank God Chapman is back! I see a lot of success in the running game. Hope Fernandez is feeling better on the D line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-16-2015 01:29 PM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:and even though you guys seem to be on a roll at the end of the season, that midseason meltdown has to be concerning.

Very fair point. Ohio had that. However, much to do with injury. And end of season was better for them -- I see come bowl time them to have an A game.

With that said, App State's a Good team. They deserve to get the bettor's edge, by the numbers. But it wouldn't be any surprise if Ohio ends up winning. They do have a good coach at the helm and plenty of time to prepare. They won't be going on a downswing.

If I'm a bettor, I wouldn't want to bet on it, but I'd want to watch it.
12-16-2015 03:20 PM
exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I totally lost faith in OU mid-season, but they did play much better as of late....not sure if it was due to previously injured players returning or not. Appy is a very good team, but I am expecting a competitive game.
12-16-2015 03:54 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

Because I'm bored...

Ohio is 3-3 this season against teams playing in bowl games.
Wins:
Marshall (9-3)
Akron (7-5)
NIU (8-5)

Losses:
Minnesota (5-7)
Western Michigan (7-5)
Bowling Green (10-3)

App State is 2-2 against teams playing in bowl games.
Wins:
Georgia State (6-6)
Georgia Southern (8-4)

Losses:

Clemson (13-0)
Arkansas State (9-3)
12-16-2015 05:06 PM
exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Appy State fans are fired up over their first FBS division bowl game....according to one article I saw, they have sold out their ticket allotment (not sure what it was, though). So, should be a decent crowd on hand at the Cramton Bowl this weekend!
12-16-2015 06:06 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

(12-16-2015 06:06 PM)exCincy Kid1 Wrote:  Appy State fans are fired up over their first FBS division bowl game....according to one article I saw, they have sold out their ticket allotment (not sure what it was, though). So, should be a decent crowd on hand at the Cramton Bowl this weekend!

Apparently it's sold out, should make it an exciting environment. I also heard they hate being called "Appy State" 02-13-banana
12-16-2015 07:50 PM
Advertisement

AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Re: RE: Camellia Bowl
(12-16-2015 07:50 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  
(12-16-2015 06:06 PM)exCincy Kid1 Wrote:  Appy State fans are fired up over their first FBS division bowl game....according to one article I saw, they have sold out their ticket allotment (not sure what it was, though). So, should be a decent crowd on hand at the Cramton Bowl this weekend!

Apparently it's sold out, should make it an exciting environment. I also heard they hate being called "Appy State" 02-13-banana

Yes we do.... Goes back to SoCon days where Marshall coach Sonny Randall, who played at East Carolina when they were App's rival, used it to belittle our school as a bunch of hillbillies. Not a big deal if folks use it mistakenly. For the most part App fans are easy to get along with.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 11:23 AM by AppManDG.)
12-17-2015 11:21 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(12-17-2015 11:21 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  Yes we do.... Goes back to SoCon days where Marshall coach Sonny Randall, who played at East Carolina when they were App's rival, used it to belittle our school as a bunch of hillbillies. Not a big deal if folks use it mistakenly. For the most part App fans are easy to get along with.

I just can't envision a world where anybody from Marshall could make fun of anybody else for being a hillbilly.
12-17-2015 11:51 AM
exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I guess I should've been aware that they don't like the term "Appy State", but again, I thought it was just when annoying Herd fans used the term. I will try to avoid in future but is there any other shortened version I can use.....after all, Applalacian State is a "mouthful" to write each time!
12-17-2015 12:09 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(12-17-2015 11:51 AM)OUVan Wrote:  
(12-17-2015 11:21 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  Yes we do.... Goes back to SoCon days where Marshall coach Sonny Randall, who played at East Carolina when they were App's rival, used it to belittle our school as a bunch of hillbillies. Not a big deal if folks use it mistakenly. For the most part App fans are easy to get along with.

I just can't envision a world where anybody from Marshall could make fun of anybody else for being a hillbilly.

03-lmfao
12-17-2015 12:38 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:

Minor correction: Sonny Randle was the head coach at East Carolina (he preceded Pat Dye there), but his undergrad school was UVA, where was a wide receiver, not East Carolina.

As for Randle's "hillbilly" remarks, I would hope that they were made while he was coaching at East Carolina and not later when he was head coach at Marshall (pot = kettle hypocrisy).
12-17-2015 01:08 PM
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

Looks like the folks at Yosef's Cabin did a little research on the history of Ohio University.

http://www.yosefscabin.com/the-school-bu...niversity/
12-17-2015 01:23 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
if App was healthy on the OL, I think we would win easily, but unfortunately for App, the line isn't in great shape, hopefully, the 2 weeks off has helped. Looking at Ohio, I think this will be anybodies game late into the 4th, I'm really worried that because we haven't played in a bowl game, we are going to make some stupid mistakes, and Ohio will take advantage. Anyway, they are expecting great weather for the game, safe travels.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2015 02:17 PM by moehler.)
12-17-2015 02:16 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I wish I was in Montgomery for the game... This was already advertised on the Bobcat Attack Forum, but there will be a watch party for anyone in the DC area at Penn Quarter Sports Tavern.

"Washington DC Game Watch

Join us starting at 5 pm.
We will be raffling off an Ohio Football Jersey, an Independence Bowl T-Shirt, and other items to raise money for our scholarship fund.

Penn Quarter Sports Tavern
639 Indiana Ave, NW

Nearest Metro: Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter
Www://pennquartersportstavern.com"

That's where I plan on being!
12-17-2015 02:35 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-17-2015 01:08 PM)T-Town Wrote:  

Minor correction: Sonny Randle was the head coach at East Carolina (he preceded Pat Dye there), but his undergrad school was UVA, where was a wide receiver, not East Carolina.

As for Randle's "hillbilly" remarks, I would hope that they were made while he was coaching at East Carolina and not later when he was head coach at Marshall (pot = kettle hypocrisy).

Sonny only coached ECU for three seasons; 71; 72 and 73 before moving on to coach at UVA where he played his college ball. ECU only played ASU once while he was the ECU coach.

I doubt Sonny made fun or talked smack to any team while he coached at Marshall, since he never had a winning season at Marshall.
12-17-2015 03:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.