Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is no one talking about the Heisman race?
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
Is it because Fournette is so far in front or that the CFP now takes precedent over everything else?
10-31-2015 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Why is no one talking about the Heisman race?
It's because at least right now Fournette is so far in front.

My guess if he falters, the next in line would be Boykin.
10-31-2015 01:19 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(10-31-2015 01:19 PM)stever20 Wrote:  It's because at least right now Fournette is so far in front.

My guess if he falters, the next in line would be Boykin.

This

It's Fournette's to lose and I don't think at this point there is anybody that doesn't feel he is deserving of it.
10-31-2015 01:20 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Honestly I just don't care. That award just does not hold my interest and it gets less important to me every year.
10-31-2015 08:33 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Lynch
10-31-2015 08:41 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Because some of us like Heisman winners with class and dignity. When I think about how Winston and Manziel's pictures are hanging next to Harmon, Kinnick and Smith, I become ill.
11-01-2015 05:18 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I used to worry about the Heisman when it was truly the award for the best college football player. Now that it's the award for the highest profile player on a high profile team it simply doesn't matter anymore.
11-01-2015 05:24 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
(11-01-2015 05:24 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I used to worry about the Heisman when it was truly the award for the best college football player. Now that it's the award for the highest profile player on a high profile team it simply doesn't matter anymore.

^^^
11-01-2015 05:44 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(11-01-2015 05:24 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I used to worry about the Heisman when it was truly the award for the best college football player. Now that it's the award for the highest profile player on a high profile team it simply doesn't matter anymore.

Jim Brown probably agrees. But the last player to win a Heisman before politics got involved probably went to Yale and is long dead.
11-01-2015 06:12 PM
Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
(10-31-2015 01:13 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Is it because Fournette is so far in front or that the CFP now takes precedent over everything else?

Because the award doesn't hold the same appeal as it use to. The NFL doesn't even care about it at all anymore.

College players may still aspire to it, but even among college players you don't hear about it as much.

As another poster said, it has become an award of the top player from a top ranked team. Thus, a QB award. Problem this year is there no QB that stands above the college football world like Winston did.
11-01-2015 06:16 PM
TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
Paxton Lynch if Memphis goes undefeated.
11-01-2015 07:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
It's Fournette's barring injury. Dalvin Cook had a shot at it until he got injured.
11-01-2015 08:13 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
(11-01-2015 07:59 PM)TampaKnight Wrote:  Paxton Lynch if Memphis goes undefeated.

He could throw for 1000 yards and 7 TDs a game and he may get invited but no way for a "G5" player to win it
11-01-2015 08:38 PM
tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

BOOM!
11-01-2015 10:38 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Sad RE: Why is no one talking about the Heisman race?
I think nobody talks about the Heisman Trophy anymore because it has lost all legitimacy. It used to be that to win the Heisman Trophy you had to be an outstanding player – or at least that's how it felt.

Nowadays, it seems like if you play in the right system and put up video game type numbers, that's how you win the Heisman. Or, if you are the best player on the best team, that's how you win the Heisman.

Frankly, it feels kind of boring and somewhat illegitimate.

For example, whoever plays quarterback for Baylor is going to look great. Whoever plays running back at Alabama is going to do great. That doesn't mean they're actually great players, just beneficiaries of highly productive systems.

That's difficult to embrace for fans of college football who did not have a horse in the race.

I think when you have guys like RG3 edging out Andrew Luck for the Heisman Trophy, based largely on the system difference between the two players, that seems ridiculous in retrospect.

Jason White bested Larry Fitzgerald in 2003. Are you freaking kidding me? I don't think White ever even played in an NFL game.

Still, fluky things can happen. However, when they happen over and over and over again, it begins to shake consumer confidence. I don't care who wins the Heisman trophy anymore because I do not believe it is a legitimate award. These days, I pay much closer attention to first round NFL draft choices.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 12:40 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
11-02-2015 12:34 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

the fact a guy didn't play an NFL game is 100% meaningless. It's a COLLEGE award. Not who the best pro prospect is.
11-02-2015 12:50 AM
Advertisement

TampaKnight Offline
Knight Family

I Root For: The American
Yeah, have to agree with some of you, the Heisman trophy is not an indicator of professional success...and that fact alone makes it irrelevant to me.
11-02-2015 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

why does a college award have to be an indicator of professional success? I mean, Tim Tebow was a great college player. Why should his college career get dinged because he wasn't a good pro? That's insane.
11-02-2015 10:08 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
The Heisman has always had petty politics play a role. Underclassman couldn't win it, black couldn't win it, players couldn't win twice, player played for less prestigious team, etc.
11-02-2015 10:18 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The Heisman race is pretty simple: It is Fournette's to lose. If he stumbles, like if he gets stuffed versus Alabama this week, then the TCU quarterback will pick up the pieces.
11-02-2015 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.