USF Stadium on old MOSI property?
05-06-2015 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
RE: USF Stadium on old MOSI property?
Interesting. I saw several articles about the MOSI move... that would take some seriously big $$$. I honestly don't know much about the situation, but it's just hard to believe there would be money to build a completely new museum, totally destroy the existing one, and then build up a stadium. Does that huge omnimax dome move or get trashed? I was under the impression USF already had the land on campus 'reserved' for a stadium... either the NE corner, or the SW corner in front of the Sun Dome.

But heck, if it could happen would be awesome. I guess if the county owns the land, that probably greases the wheels quite a bit.

Remember those stories from a couple of years ago that 'leaked' about USF building a stadium near the university mall? lol
05-06-2015 08:04 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Could happen MOSI wants to move downtown and Vinick would love to have them in that area. 80 acres is larger than any spot the school currently has available in their possession.

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward but wether for a stadium or not that's land USZf should look into acquiring
05-06-2015 08:25 PM
RedRocker Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, UK's foe
One thing is for sure, RayJay is too big for the Bulls. NFL stadiums lack the intimacy usually found in OCS. That was clearly evident when the Cats played at PBS last year. If the Bulls have an OCS, I suspect attendance will be very good. It's all about location and fan base when it comes to sports. If the Rays were in Tampa, they would draw 27,000+ nightly.
05-07-2015 09:15 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(05-07-2015 09:15 AM)RedRocker Wrote:  One thing is for sure, RayJay is too big for the Bulls. NFL stadiums lack the intimacy usually found in OCS. That was clearly evident when the Cats played at PBS last year. If the Bulls have an OCS, I suspect attendance will be very good. It's all about location and fan base when it comes to sports. If the Rays were in Tampa, they would draw 27,000+ nightly.

RJS is themed for the Bucs. Red seats, pirate ship, etc. It doesn't have a home feel to it. They need to build something. You can always upgrade later.
05-07-2015 09:30 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
What's a MOSI?
05-07-2015 09:40 AM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Museum of Science & Industry
05-07-2015 09:42 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Museum of Science and Industry.
05-07-2015 09:43 AM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(05-06-2015 08:04 PM)Bull Wrote:  Interesting. I saw several articles about the MOSI move... that would take some seriously big $$$. I honestly don't know much about the situation, but it's just hard to believe there would be money to build a completely new museum, totally destroy the existing one, and then build up a stadium. Does that huge omnimax dome move or get trashed? I was under the impression USF already had the land on campus 'reserved' for a stadium... either the NE corner, or the SW corner in front of the Sun Dome.

But heck, if it could happen would be awesome. I guess if the county owns the land, that probably greases the wheels quite a bit.

Remember those stories from a couple of years ago that 'leaked' about USF building a stadium near the university mall? lol

This has been in the works for a long time. USF originally asked about the land next to Mosi, which is plenty big enough to build a stadium but parking would have been a nightmare. They looked into moving the city owned baseball facility to make more parking but it just wasnt going to be enough.

Then Vinick started his whole downtown project. He wants Mosi to be downtown and apparently is willing to put up the money to make it happen. People dont realize but MOSI is in trouble. Their financial picture isnt in good shape but a move to downtown would make it a featured attraction and estimates are that they would turn things around. Add in that USF will have their medical center down there along with all the other things hes bringing in and you have a pretty amazing development.

The MOSI building really isnt suited to be anything else without major changes and everyone that has talked about wanting to build something there would knock it down. I am really hoping they can work out a county/ USF partnership on this. I know we have 3 of the 8 votes without an issue and from what I have heard if the vote was today it would get 5 votes definitely.
Many on the board see that land as a natural space that should go to USF and not just for business development. The interesting part and it could be total BS is ive heard that in order for the county to approve all this stuff, they are trying to get Vinick to help pay for alot of the costs... one of which would be tear down the old building in order to reduce costs for USF to build.

Overall though I am thrilled to see this being talked about. It takes our future stadium from being tucked into our campus to being a real venue.
05-07-2015 09:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
Would be awesome. Over on the BullsPen thead they have morphed a satellite pic, dropping the Louisville Cardinal stadium on the site... PLENTY of room for a stadium with a ton of parking.

Almost too good to be true.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 09:52 AM by Bull.)
05-07-2015 09:51 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(05-07-2015 09:40 AM)Chappy Wrote:  What's a MOSI?

A Museum
05-07-2015 09:53 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(05-07-2015 09:53 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  
(05-07-2015 09:40 AM)Chappy Wrote:  What's a MOSI?

A Museum

Very cool museum at that (Museum of Science and Industry).

Yes, if they built a new one downtown, they would probably get a lot more visitors to that location vs the one out by USF.

Plus, like a lot of museums located downtown, they would probably get a lot of private after-hours events from convention/business groups who are staying mostly in Downtown/Westshore area and by the Convention Center.

The Museum is over 30 plus years old at that location...so a new more modern one (even though old one has been renovated/expanded thru the years) will probably attract a lot more people...especially if located downtown.
05-07-2015 10:04 AM
callmebigeast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USF
Former Orange Bowl (RIP) on the proposed site, at scale.

[Image: 48Qm7yll.jpg]
05-07-2015 11:49 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(05-07-2015 09:15 AM)RedRocker Wrote:  One thing is for sure, RayJay is too big for the Bulls. NFL stadiums lack the intimacy usually found in OCS. That was clearly evident when the Cats played at PBS last year. If the Bulls have an OCS, I suspect attendance will be very good. It's all about location and fan base when it comes to sports. If the Rays were in Tampa, they would draw 27,000+ nightly.

Good points. A nice 40k stadium by the sundome would work. RayJay is all wrong. The pink seats and Pirate ship...make it impossible for USF to even cloak RayJay in USF colors...

The Rays would thrive attendance wise in a bayside open air stadium on the Tampa side of the Bay.
05-07-2015 11:55 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Couple of questions for the USF fans:

1. What type of money is available for a new stadium? Any help from the state. corporations for big donors?
2. How many fans do you honestly think is reasonable for a normal Saturday game? Would an on campus stadium change the attendance?
3. What type of support does the football team have right now, both in terms of excitement and money?
4. What is the possibility of a new on campus stadium being built within the next 4 years?
05-07-2015 12:06 PM
knightastic Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF Knights
(05-07-2015 11:55 AM)No Bull Wrote:  The Rays would thrive attendance wise in a bayside open air stadium on the Tampa side of the Bay.
They would still need a retractable roof. It doesn't rain as much in Tampa compared to Miami but it gets more lightning. Roof could be open for most night games till late June/ early July. Roof would most likely need to be closed almost every game July-September
05-07-2015 12:38 PM
Advertisement

Jimmy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers
What's buried in that story is USF is going to have a Publix on campus.
05-07-2015 01:46 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-07-2015 12:06 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Couple of questions for the USF fans:

1. What type of money is available for a new stadium? Any help from the state. corporations for big donors?
2. How many fans do you honestly think is reasonable for a normal Saturday game? Would an on campus stadium change the attendance?
3. What type of support does the football team have right now, both in terms of excitement and money?
4. What is the possibility of a new on campus stadium being built within the next 4 years?

1. I have heard that there would be donors willing to step up. It all depends on what the total cost would be. Wouldn't be surprised if soccer it's involved in the equation also. Forget the state but corporations would be supportive.
2. When we win we could draw in the 60s as has been proven in past. Really right now I would say a 45k seat expandable to more later is the most likely start.
3. Right now support is at its lowest point. We need to win but building a stadium could be a way to excite the fan base. If we go 6-6 or better this year, support will increase or a new coach might bring in excitement
4. It all depends. I would have said zero until this opportunity arrived. Now it all depends on wether MOSI moves and USF gets the land. If that happens then it will be highly probable
05-07-2015 02:12 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(05-07-2015 02:12 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(05-07-2015 12:06 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Couple of questions for the USF fans:

1. I have heard that there would be donors willing to step up. It all depends on what the total cost would be. Wouldn't be surprised if soccer it's involved in the equation also. Forget the state but corporations would be supportive.
2. When we win we could draw in the 60s as has been proven in past. Really right now I would say a 45k seat expandable to more later is the most likely start.
3. Right now support is at its lowest point. We need to win but building a stadium could be a way to excite the fan base. If we go 6-6 or better this year, support will increase or a new coach might bring in excitement
4. It all depends. I would have said zero until this opportunity arrived. Now it all depends on wether MOSI moves and USF gets the land. If that happens then it will be highly probable

I am almost 100% certain MOSI will be moving. The thing is, we actualy dont need them to. If they would just let us have the land directly next to MOSI then we could build there. The only thing they do on that land is the Medieval festival.

Weve never had a 10 win season and yet we were able to average over 40K per game. Last year we were in the low 20s and our students werent coming. Id say that if the stadium was on campus we would have had about 10K more.
Looking at several schools that have built stadiums over the past decade or so, all of them saw 10K and up attendance increase.

I couldnt agree more about the size. I think a 45K seat is about perfect. If they build it with overhangs, then they can use a tarp system to shut out the second level and leave only a bottom layer of about 20K for an MLS team.
The Rowdies have solid support and I would like to see MLS come back.

As far as corporate sponsorship, Ive heard that there are several who are rather interested.... along with a few donors. In the past 2 years USF has brought in around $60 million from big time donors to different parts of our campus.

I think many of them would step up again. If we could get $5 million a piece out of each wed have $30 million to put down on the stadium. Ive heard Harlan wants something in the $140-180 million range in order to get the type of stadium he feels will project the image we want... and its very doable.
Given, all of that was iron bulls talking, so take it with a grain of salt.
05-07-2015 03:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
If USF announces a 45k seat stadium, UCF better announce the 10k expansion the very next day. 07-coffee3
05-07-2015 03:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.