Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Connecticut Sports Website: UConn Should Re-join the Big East
jwawker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn, Colo St.
Connecticut Sports Website: UConn Should Re-join the Big East
The author of the article says the AAC is gradually killing UConn men's basketball and it should go back to its regional roots, in the Big East. Obviously being in the AAC did not hurt UConn in 2013-14 but he does make some valid points. Football is years away from being where it was under Randy Edsall, and as several AAC schools have already found out, the weather at the Rent in the fall can be downright frightful, adding to the difficulty of ever attracting top recruits to New England.

http://sportzedge.com/2014/12/09/its-tim...-big-east/
12-09-2014 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: Connecticut Sports Website: UConn Should Re-join the Big East
(12-09-2014 07:13 PM)jwawker Wrote:  The author of the article says the AAC is gradually killing UConn men's basketball and it should go back to its regional roots, in the Big East. Obviously being in the AAC did not hurt UConn in 2013-14 but he does make some valid points. Football is years away from being where it was under Randy Edsall, and as several AAC schools have already found out, the weather at the Rent in the fall can be downright frightful, adding to the difficulty of ever attracting top recruits to New England.

http://sportzedge.com/2014/12/09/its-tim...-big-east/

Lol! I doubt UConn will become the next UAB.

Anyone who says the AAC is gradually killing UConn, has no idea about the AAC and the recruiting these programs are doing under this banner. Temple has always had a good program but expect that consistency to ratchet up with their recent recruiting. Houston just hired KELVIN SAMPSON and they're already looking much better than they did last year, when they beat UConn.

Puhhhlease... Basketball-Only conferences are ALMOST irrelevant. Football is the front door of the University. The NBE's most recent championship was in the mid 1980s, and they are on FS1.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 07:22 PM by BigEastHomer.)
12-09-2014 07:19 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
If the Big East had a TV contract with ESPN then UConn and others would consider defecting. Right now the Big East is a good basketball conference playing in the wasteland that is FS1, FS2, and FSN.
12-09-2014 07:24 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Perhaps UCONN should just cut a deal with ESPN/SNY and go independent in all sports.

03-cloud9
12-09-2014 07:29 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Kels Dayton is such a mediocre writer, it's no wonder he writes for "SportzEdge" (with a z... for that "edge") LMAO, I can't believe anyone would post it.

I love the pompous "directional" comments... Without UConns football association with ECU and UCF, you'd really be up sh!ts creek.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 07:36 PM by BigEastHomer.)
12-09-2014 07:34 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
It boggles my mind that UConn wasn't invited to the ACC years ago. It certainly deserved to be and seems a perfect fit.
12-09-2014 07:37 PM
Advertisement

jwawker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn, Colo St.
(12-09-2014 07:34 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Kels Dayton is such a mediocre writer, it's no wonder he writes for "SportzEdge" (with a z... for that "edge") LMAO, I can't believe anyone would post it.

I love the pompous "directional" comments... Without UConns football association with ECU and UCF, you'd really be up sh!ts creek.

Not too familiar with you but you seem to like personal attacks. Pretty clear you did not actually read the article, because the "directional school" criticism was in reference to basketball, not football.
12-09-2014 07:41 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-09-2014 07:37 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  It boggles my mind that UConn wasn't invited to the ACC years ago. It certainly deserved to be and seems a perfect fit.

Fans of every school not included in the 'privileged' group are saying the same thing about their school and their preferred conference affiliation.
12-09-2014 07:41 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(12-09-2014 07:34 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Kels Dayton is such a mediocre writer, it's no wonder he writes for "SportzEdge" (with a z... for that "edge") LMAO, I can't believe anyone would post it.

Actually, Cincinnati is the most important AAC school to UCONN. That's why this new CR rumor is producing the above reaction from some UCONN fans.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 07:45 PM by HuskyU.)
12-09-2014 07:44 PM
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
(12-09-2014 07:37 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  It boggles my mind that UConn wasn't invited to the ACC years ago. It certainly deserved to be and seems a perfect fit.

The stumbling block to UConn in the ACC was and remains Boston College. BC doesn't want to compete for recruits or attention with UConn.
12-09-2014 07:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-09-2014 07:41 PM)jwawker Wrote:  Not too familiar with you but you seem to like personal attacks. Pretty clear you did not actually read the article, because the "directional school" criticism was in reference to basketball, not football.

No... I understand that... but that outlook is completely naive to how an ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT is run... It's not a salad bar where you pick and choose affiliations for your sports.
If it was, the football department would be the lettuce; and without the lettuce, you don't have a salad in the current landscape. Football is just that important

It wasn't personal. The writer is just off in lala land.

You'd be mortgaging a future that isn't even written yet, for an alliance that undercuts your biggest oil well. Whether or not that well is producing a gusher at this point is missing the point. You are not a player in any form or fashion in collegiate landscape if you haven't staked your claim to your patch of land. Realignment for UConn would be finished if they dropped down. Future TV contracts/exposure for football would cease to exist. Uconn sports would go dark for the better part of the year.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 07:54 PM by BigEastHomer.)
12-09-2014 07:48 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
most of the argument is flawed..very flawed

the entire basis off the argument is that if we were in the big east we can suckand still be considered a decent team..

legitimate solution #1 dont suck and actually win your OOC in games you're heavily favored..what dumb argument "i want to join the big east so i can lose to teams i should blowout and still have chance at ncaa"

point #2 that big east argument would work for this year, but the big east hasnt proven they are a staying power...and we havent shown this our level, one year doesnt define anything...

the big east wasnt very good overall last year, all becuase they had 1 good 8 game stretch (not even a full season) doesnt mean they are some staple basketball league....
and all because half our teams are down this year doesnt mean this will be our level forever...
if you look at it our league recruits at the level they do, similar coaches resumes they do

jumping ship becuase 1 is having a good year and 1 is having a bad year is dumb...
providence, st johns, depaul, seton hall could all easily return to their regular level of mediocrity or below next season
and memphis's star load roster maybe lives up to their potential, houston, tulsa, usf could all live up to the level of their coaches in their second year...and smu/temple return to form for next year

and if that scenerio happened youd have jumped for what..tell this guy to stop being a prisoner of the moment and killing your football team becuase you couldnt beat yale
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 08:15 PM by pesik.)
12-09-2014 07:53 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(12-09-2014 07:41 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Fans of every school not included in the 'privileged' group are saying the same thing about their school and their preferred conference affiliation.

Well, I'm a Memphis fan, not a UConn fan, and just thought it strange that when Pitt and Syracuse left for the ACC, UConn was left out. Seemed an obvious fit to me.
12-09-2014 07:56 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-09-2014 07:56 PM)cotton1991 Wrote:  

Well, I'm a Memphis fan, not a UConn fan, and just thought it strange that when Pitt and Syracuse left for the ACC, UConn was left out. Seemed an obvious fit to me.

I'm just saying that Houston and SMU fans feel the same way about the Big 12, since they shared a conference with many of those teams throughout their history. It feels strange seeing Baylor and TCU at 5 and 6, when Houston and SMU OWNED those teams.
12-09-2014 07:59 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
UConn's goal is to eventually be in the B1G (or ACC). I don't see how downgrading the FB program accomplishes that.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 08:07 PM by UConn-SMU.)
12-09-2014 08:02 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-09-2014 08:02 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  UConn's goal is to eventually be in her B1G (or ACC). I don't see how downgrading the FB program accomplishes that.

Correct
12-09-2014 08:03 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC

You ain't the only one. UConn's athletic program and academics (US News) had us ahead of them.

It came down to FSU not thinking we had enough FB cred and BC knew they couldn't compete with us in the same conference. Syracuse and Pitt didn't have those obstacles.
12-09-2014 08:06 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(12-09-2014 07:53 PM)pesik Wrote:  most of the argument is flawed..very flawed

the entire basis off the argument is that if we were in the big east we can suckand still be considered a decent team..

legitimate solution #1 dont suck and actually win your OOC in games you're heavily favored..what dumb argument "i want to join the big east so i can lose to teams i should blowout and still have chance at ncaa"

point #2 that big east argument would work for this year, and but the big east hasnt proven they are a staying power...and we havent shown this our level, one year doesnt define anything...

the big east wasnt very good overall this year, all becuase they had 1 good 8 game stretch (not even a full season) doesnt mean they are some staple basketball league....
and all because half our teams are down this year doesnt mean this will be our level forever...
if you look at it our league recruits at the level they do, similar coaches resumes they do

jumping ship becuase 1 is having a good year and 1 is having a bad year is dumb...
providence, st johns, depaul, seton hall could all easily return to their regular level of mediocrity or below next season
and memphis's star load roster maybe lives up to their potential, houston, tulsa, usf could all live up to the level of their coaches in their second year...and smu/temple return to form for next year

and if that scenerio happened youd have jumped for what..tell this guy to stop being a prisoner of the moment and killing your football team becuase you couldnt beat yale

Couldn't agree with this more... Well said, pesik
12-09-2014 08:10 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(12-09-2014 07:59 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

I'm just saying that Houston and SMU fans feel the same way about the Big 12, since they shared a conference with many of those teams throughout their history. It feels strange seeing Baylor and TCU at 5 and 6, when Houston and SMU OWNED those teams.

Some people just don't get it, BigEastHomer
12-09-2014 08:12 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(12-09-2014 08:12 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 07:59 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Some people just don't get it, BigEastHomer

They don't... And that frustration is magnified by the fact that one of them (Baylor) is coached by a UH alum/former player, who left UH to coach Baylor.

The other one, TCU, took UH's OC from last year, which led to the UTSA abomination under LaBush.

If anyone has a right to get swept up in this "Woah is me!" frenzy, it's UH.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 08:52 PM by BigEastHomer.)
12-09-2014 08:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.