Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Presbyterian Game Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
Presbyterian Game Thoughts
So after months of us wondering, the QB situation shakes out about as anyone would have said if you asked them in March. I think McIntosh looked like the clear #1. Looked really comfortable and smooth in the offense. The throw to Brown was absolutely perfect. He spread the ball around and the offense looked the same as it has since Doeren showed up in DeKalb. I thought Hare looked shaky in his first few drives, but obviously you can't complain about his last drive. His running ability was a pleasant surprise, although I still think he would die playing full time because of how upright he was. Maddie was the clear #3. Great running ability, but obviously a step behind throwing. The Grady comparison 1981 made is a fair one I think.

Heading into Northwestern, I don't think there should be anymore QB controversy. McIntosh is the clear #1, Hare is a solid #2 in case McIntosh goes down (which is very possible in this offense), and Maddie is the #3. I'm not against letting Maddie play the role Lynch did in Harnish's senior year, but that's the only multiple QB plan I can get behind. McIntosh should be the guy.

77 carries for 424 yards as a team tonight. Holy hell haha. Akeem looked great coming back. Still has his speed and I've always thought he was a sneaky strong runner. Didn't even see him in the passing game tonight which you know he will be a big part of. ACRB looked really solid. Started a little slow, but finished strong and to have 4 TDs in a game is obviously great. He's definitley a bigger guy, so I have faith he should be able to fill in for Cam well while he's gone. Certainly improved in the offseason.

Is Da'Ron Brown just always open? 7 for 91 and a TD. Always entertaining to see little CBs attempt to tackle Canada. Tommy looked like his speedy self. Liked what I saw from Beebe and Saffold as well.

The defense only gave up 127 total yards. Yes, it's Presbyterian, but there's been games where this team has played awful offenses and given up a ton of yards. They did what they were supposed to do. I was particularly happy with the young DBs. Lurry got burned once for what would have been a TD against most teams, but with freshman DBs that's going to happen. I though both Logan and Moore looked much, much better than last year. Moore made a couple of really nice open field tackles. Smalls getting the INT in his first games was great to see.

NIU has switched to the 3-4. It was their base defense pretty much all game. It's not a true 3-4, but they're only playing with 3 down lineman (and sometimes 2). They're using their depth at LB to their strength. I saw Boomer lined up at rush OLB a few times tonight. I would expect to see guys like Ford, Smaha, Boomer, Lemon, and Flemming to play rush LB and Santa, Bass, and Jones to be the coverage LBs.

My only complaint tonight would be I wish McIntosh got a few more reps with the offense heading into Northwestern, but they wanted to see what they had in a real game with the QBs and I think they did. Like I said, the biggest thing moving forward is I hope they stick with McIntosh. I'm sure Carey will give us nothing going into it, but put Mc out there and let him play.

27 straight home wins. Not too shabby.
08-28-2014 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Presbyterian Game Thoughts
Carey's post game comments about the QB play. McIntosh ran the offense as he expected he would. Hare had a few "hiccups" but did some nice things. Maddie didn't get a great look because we weren't trying to do much offensively when he was in. When asked who the QB next week would be: "need to look at the film first". But just from his comments about each, sure sounds like Mac, as 7 said. From my viewpoint, and probably the vast majority of anyone who saw the game, it has to be Mac.
08-28-2014 09:40 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Should point out that the last missed FG wasn't Wedel, it was Orne.
08-28-2014 09:44 PM
yesman815 Offline
All American

(08-28-2014 09:41 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  Kicking game left a lot to be desired. If we cannot find a reliable FG kicker with consistent 40+ yd range we are probably looking at an 8 - 4 or 9 - 3 type season. McIntosh is clearly the guy and looked the most comfortable running the offense and managing the game. Hare still looks shaky to me and I am hoping Maddie will surpass him at some point on the depth chart. Maddie's running adds a different dimension plus his ability to roll out opens up different passing options.

It's still early but based on the small sample I wouldn't mind McIntosh being the guy the next two years with Maddie becoming the #2 and taking the reigns his senior year.

So what does a reliable kicker make us in your opinion?
08-28-2014 09:45 PM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(08-28-2014 09:40 PM)Field Turf Wrote:  Carey's post game comments about the QB play. McIntosh ran the offense as he expected he would. Hare had a few "hiccups" but did some nice things. Maddie didn't get a great look because we weren't trying to do much offensively when he was in. When asked who the QB next week would be: "need to look at the film first". But just from his comments about each, sure sounds like Mac, as 7 said. From my viewpoint, and probably the vast majority of anyone who saw the game, it has to be Mac.

Not sure what game you guys were watching but Hare had a higher quarterback rating than Macintosh. To me Hare is the clear #1, is the youngest, clearly has the best arm, and can be you're QB for the next 3 years. He looks to be the biggest, for those of you who like a quarterback to run, he had a nice run. He clearly has the most upside of the three.
08-28-2014 09:51 PM
JB04 Offline
1st String

I have never coached a football game, but I thought Mac looked real good and I have always had a lot of confidence in him. He is going to have hiccups if he starts getting some pressure, but as long as he can keep the game in command with the short passes and then a periodic stretch of the defense with an accurate long ball...we are money. I feel our Oline will protect Mac enough to improve and I think he is going to be a good one.

The defense looked great tonight, but I still worry about how they will look against Northwestern. Nonetheless, there was some big boys in our D, and I am glad to see that.
08-28-2014 09:53 PM
Advertisement

yesman815 Offline
All American

Hare > Mcintosh
08-28-2014 09:54 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I think Hare has the most upside for the future, however Mac takes it now w a better command of the offense and seems to be the best leader from what ive heard
08-28-2014 09:56 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

McIntosh is faster and a better runner. Hare has a great arm but everything he does is awkward and he has a really long throwing motion. Hare also has had 2 years to beat out McIntosh now and has yet to do it. McIntosh will be the guy.

I loved how fast the offense was going. Went back to the pace they played with Harnish's senior year. The only negative about Lynch was he did everything so they couldn't go as fast because he needed time to suck wind haha.
08-28-2014 09:58 PM
yesman815 Offline
All American

I call Hare being starter after Northwestern
08-28-2014 10:00 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(08-28-2014 10:00 PM)yesman815 Wrote:  I call Hare being starter after Northwestern
So let me get this straight, after Hare not being able to beat McIntosh out for 2 years, you think after McIntosh leads 3/3 scoring drives and goes 10/14 passing and averages 6.8 YPC that's when Hare is going to unseat him?

Not a chance in hell. McIntosh will undoubtedly start. The only question is if they both play.
08-28-2014 10:02 PM
Advertisement

yesman815 Offline
All American

I said after Northwestern! Mcintosh may start but he didn't beat him out for anything really.

They both played evenly last year and had same time today.
08-28-2014 10:05 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I don't think they played evenly today. They gave Hare an extra series to end on a high note, but he undoubtedly made more mistakes than McIntosh.
08-28-2014 10:06 PM
Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

(08-28-2014 10:06 PM)7 Wrote:  I don't think they played evenly today. They gave Hare an extra series to end on a high note, but he undoubtedly made more mistakes than McIntosh.

Agreed.
08-28-2014 10:10 PM
JB04 Offline
1st String

(08-28-2014 10:10 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  
(08-28-2014 10:06 PM)7 Wrote:  I don't think they played evenly today. They gave Hare an extra series to end on a high note, but he undoubtedly made more mistakes than McIntosh.

Agreed.

Agreed +2
08-28-2014 10:12 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
I thought Mac was the most consistent QB of the night.
08-28-2014 10:13 PM
Advertisement

niu_1087 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tuck Foledo
(08-28-2014 10:13 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  I thought Mac was the most consistent QB of the night.

Absolutely.
08-28-2014 10:15 PM
niu_1087 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tuck Foledo
So, assuming Mac becomes the starter and Hare backs him up...what will happen with Maddie? It seems like he's got quite a bit of athleticism, so it kind of seem like a waste to have him standing on the sidelines as a 3rd QB.
08-28-2014 10:16 PM
Enaiu Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
From what I saw, It looked like Hare would hone in on one receiver and throw it to him no matter what. Also, his hand offs are sort of weird
08-28-2014 10:19 PM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Hare held the ball too long on a couple pass plays. Needs to be more decisive either throwing the ball away if nobody is open or take off. That will come with more experience.
08-28-2014 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.