Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

El Paso makes out well financially from C-USA basketball tourney
Bookmark and Share
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
El Paso makes out well financially from C-USA basketball tourney
Ticket sales were not as good as the last time UTEP hosted, mostly due to UTEP not advancing far in the tournament. Also, a number of all session ticket buyers didn't show up because their favorite team (Miners) were not there. But the tourney made money for El Paso and surpassed expectations.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_257...ss-el-paso
05-08-2014 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: El Paso makes out well financially from C-USA basketball tourney
I was disappointed that they advertized that men's tournament tickets would get you into the women's games when in fact, only the all session tickets did that.

I think they lost a lot of potential attendance because of that.
05-08-2014 09:26 AM
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
Interesting to note the conference only made $500,000 off of the combined tournaments. That's about half of what the minimum guarantee used to be for the men's tournament alone.
05-08-2014 10:11 AM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
I honestly think only fitbud was confused about that.

To the surprise of no one, individual game tickets got you into an individual game. To the surprise of no one, all session passes got you into, wait for it, all sessions and games.

Fitbud is pretty good at intimating he is speaking for the masses when really no one shares his opinions #GoChihuahuas
05-08-2014 10:22 AM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(05-08-2014 10:11 AM)blazerjay Wrote:  Interesting to note the conference only made $500,000 off of the combined tournaments. That's about half of what the minimum guarantee used to be for the men's tournament alone.

I'm not sure that is all the conference received. I have read a few articles locally this week that only say the minimum was met with no help needed from the area backers.
05-08-2014 10:23 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-08-2014 10:22 AM)mistabinks Wrote:  I honestly think only fitbud was confused about that.

To the surprise of no one, individual game tickets got you into an individual game. To the surprise of no one, all session passes got you into, wait for it, all sessions and games.

Fitbud is pretty good at intimating he is speaking for the masses when really no one shares his opinions #GoChihuahuas

Once again you are incorrect. I personally went to the ticket office to purchase single session tickets for both men and women. It was then that I found out that you had to purchase the 80 dollar game ticket in order to attend men's and women's games. Otherwise you had to purchase them individually.

The guy at the ticket both said that he understood the confusion because others had thought the same thing.

I then went and purchased the newspaper and the ElPasoTimes also clearly stated that single session tickets would get you into both men's and women's games.

I then called the ticket center again from my home and asked them about it. They informed me that the newspaper had got it wrong printed the wrong information.

That afternoon, I called Sports Talk 600 and asked them if they knew that single game session tickets for men would not get into the women's games. They also didn't know that and were confused.
05-08-2014 12:00 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

Because of my schedule, I could only attend games on two days.

I didn't think it was worth it to buy an all session ticket to the tournament if I was only going to be able to attend two days worth.

I wanted to see some men's and women's basketball so I was willing to buy single session tickets for the days that I was available. Unfortunately, that was not possible.

As it turns out, I ended up just watching them on the internet for free.

I think attendance would have been better if they had offered all access on single session tickets.
05-08-2014 12:05 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(05-08-2014 12:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  all access on single session tickets.

Just repeat that a couple of times, fitbud and see if it makes any sense.

There's nothing wrong with only buying session tickets for 2 games/session, but expecting to get "all access" to women's games with those 2 session tickets makes no sense at all.
05-08-2014 01:31 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(05-08-2014 01:31 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

There's nothing wrong with only buying session tickets for 2 games/session, but expecting to get "all access" to women's games with those 2 session tickets makes no sense at all.

You are going to get hit with the "once again you are incorrect" jab.

I love a good online, long winded, dragged out, dead horse debate and even I won't waste my time with fitbud anymore.

#GoChihuahuas
05-08-2014 01:48 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I don't know what it is you think I meant by "all access". What I was expecting based on the CUSA website, local talk radio, and local newspapers was that I could purchase a single session ticket and that would get me into both men's and women's basketball games.

In other words, my plan was to buy a morning session ticket and attend one men's and one women's game for one price.
05-08-2014 03:11 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
Find a town that can do the same with their team out of the tourney, and I'm right there with them (without emotional inflated talk). Otherwise, take what you can get.

As for our internal "I hate everything in El Paso that makes it move forward fan", well it is what is, so its time to eat a Richard.
05-09-2014 12:06 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-09-2014 12:06 AM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  Find a town that can do the same with their team out of the tourney, and I'm right there with them (without emotional inflated talk). Otherwise, take what you can get.

As for our internal "I hate everything in El Paso that makes it move forward fan", well it is what is, so its time to eat a Richard.

Hate everything in El Paso that moves it forward?

So in your world, hiring an assistant from the 80's and making the theme of the season about the 80's is moving forward?

Amazing.
05-09-2014 09:38 AM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
(05-09-2014 09:38 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 12:06 AM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  Find a town that can do the same with their team out of the tourney, and I'm right there with them (without emotional inflated talk). Otherwise, take what you can get.

Hate everything in El Paso that moves it forward?

So in your world, hiring an assistant from the 80's and making the theme of the season about the 80's is moving forward?

Amazing.

It sure is..
05-09-2014 05:54 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

Referring to Tim Floyd as an assistant from the 80's is like referring to Kobe Bryant as a good high school basketball player, Joe Montana as a great middle school player, George Lucas as a great film student, fitbud as a promising kindergarden tether ball prospect. Lets forget everything they accomplished in the last two or three decades and lets emphasize one isolated fact about them. Amazing, indeed! Forget Kobe and Montana became all time greats athletes, Lucas a blockbuster film maker, fitbud an internet troll, let's emphasize some random isolated fact from decades ago to promote our agenda!
05-09-2014 11:10 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(05-08-2014 01:48 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  

You are going to get hit with the "once again you are incorrect" jab.

I love a good online, long winded, dragged out, dead horse debate and even I won't waste my time with fitbud anymore.

#GoChihuahuas

He's predictable, that's for sure.
05-10-2014 08:10 PM
EdisonDoyle Offline
1st String

I Root For: AAC
Good job, UTEP.
I'm going to miss the Miners. Good competition, good coaches, friendly people.
05-10-2014 11:34 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-09-2014 11:10 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  Referring to Tim Floyd as an assistant from the 80's is like referring to Kobe Bryant as a good high school basketball player, Joe Montana as a great middle school player, George Lucas as a great film student, fitbud as a promising kindergarden tether ball prospect. Lets forget everything they accomplished in the last two or three decades and lets emphasize one isolated fact about them. Amazing, indeed! Forget Kobe and Montana became all time greats athletes, Lucas a blockbuster film maker, fitbud an internet troll, let's emphasize some random isolated fact from decades ago to promote our agenda!

I'm not saying anything negative about Tim Floyd's accomplishments. I'm simply pointing out UTEP's desire to relive a time in their sports history rather than move forward and make a new history.

I disagree with their philosophy of going with the devil they know rather than having the guts to go out and write a new chapter in UTEP sports history.

Bob Stull AD from the 80's. Kuglar player from the 80's. Floyd coach from the 80's.

Can we please get into the new century already.
05-12-2014 11:16 AM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

Back on topic, I am hoping El Paso gets the 2015 tournament bid!

#GoChihuahuas
05-12-2014 03:28 PM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I Root For: nothing
(05-08-2014 12:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  As it turns out, I ended up just watching them on the internet for free.

Shocker. No one could have ever expected that from you.

I watched online because I was halfway around the world. You watched online because you misunderstood an advertisement.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 04:27 PM by Pyrizzo.)
05-12-2014 04:25 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-12-2014 04:25 PM)Pyrizzo Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 12:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  As it turns out, I ended up just watching them on the internet for free.

Shocker. No one could have ever expected that from you.

I watched online because I was halfway around the world. You watched online because you misunderstood an advertisement.

As I said before, I wasn't the only one that was confused by the ads which said that session tickets would get you into both men's and women's games.

Regardless, I only had $40 in my pocket and I wasn't going to pay $36 to watch a women's game.
05-13-2014 09:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.