Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Pastner's class this year
Bookmark and Share
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Does anybody besides me feel the JP might just be a better coach with less heralded players?

I'm just not sure the 5 star guys fit with him.

3-4 star guys not looking to go pro every year may be where Josh excels.
05-03-2014 01:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

howboutthemtigers Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tigers
RE: Pastner's class this year
With all due respect, I think you are wrong. I think one of the legitimate knocks on Josh is that he has been unable to get players to play to their potential. I don't see how less talented players will help his style.
05-03-2014 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(05-03-2014 07:53 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  With all due respect, I think you are wrong. I think one of the legitimate knocks on Josh is that he has been unable to get players to play to their potential. I don't see how less talented players will help his style.
05-03-2014 08:15 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
The teams that win NCAA championships have NBA talent.
05-03-2014 08:27 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I'm curious on "who" he didnt get to play up to their potential? Tarik and Adonis situation for example seem to be on them and their attitude.
05-03-2014 08:33 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(05-03-2014 08:33 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  I'm curious on "who" he didnt get to play up to their potential? Tarik and Adonis situation for example seem to be on them and their attitude.

With all due respect, I think you are wrong. I think one of the legitimate knocks on Josh is that he has been unable to get players to play to their potential. I don't see how less talented players will help his style.

There doesn't have to be a specific player mentioned to have this effect! If we as a team, have a difficult time of winning against the top % of teams when it really counts(In the post-season). Then the team is under-performing as a whole. So, it's not a matter of "who" doesn't play up to their potential, as Josh hasn't shown to get a unit to play in Harmony;efficiently & effectively to it's full potential. But that also comes with individuals understanding how to maximize their time on the floor by getting them in positions that they are the strongest and most confident in! That's a glaring fact, as we have seen Shaq and Austins development; on occasion they look good, but it's obvious sometimes they could have been more efficient.....Same thing goes for our guards...at times they were good,also at times they were horrendous...and that should not have been so when you have/had four that were interchangeable. Also the lack of development with King/Iverson/Dom/and Wilson....Our team would have been much stronger if those players had definite roles that they could have grown confident in. But that seemed not to be the case as Joshs' coaching tactics were more reactionary than being proactive.....resulting in players that weren't ready when called upon....
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 09:22 AM by thagr82008.)
05-03-2014 09:10 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

(05-03-2014 08:33 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  I'm curious on "who" he didnt get to play up to their potential? Tarik and Adonis situation for example seem to be on them and their attitude.

With the exception of DJ and Will Barton, I would say that none of his recruits has played up to their potential. You could reasonably argue that Austin is on track to live up to expectations. Two top 5 classes have come and gone and I don't think anyone can make a reasonable case that either came close to living up to the hype. I understand sometimes expectations can be too high. But it would be ridiculous to say that two top five classes have been overrated and full of lazy players with bad attitudes. Just look at how much more certain coaches have done with far less talent.
05-03-2014 09:17 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(05-03-2014 09:17 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  

With the exception of DJ and Will Barton, I would say that none of his recruits has played up to their potential. You could reasonably argue that Austin is on track to live up to expectations. Two top 5 classes have come and gone and I don't think anyone can make a reasonable case that either came close to living up to the hype. I understand sometimes expectations can be too high. But it would be ridiculous to say that two top five classes have been overrated and full of lazy players with bad attitudes. Just look at how much more certain coaches have done with far less talent.

BAM! Oh my, what a beautiful Elephant! Can he fit on our couch? 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 09:28 AM by thagr82008.)
05-03-2014 09:24 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

Oh great troll bait for trolls
05-03-2014 09:52 AM
Chattanoogatiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(05-03-2014 07:53 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  With all due respect, I think you are wrong. I think one of the legitimate knocks on Josh is that he has been unable to get players to play to their potential. I don't see how less talented players will help his style.

Every one of Pastner's teams has had significant deficiencies that hindered them from making a big run. Had nothing to do with Pastner's coaching ability.

A team relying on smallish guards that can't consistently shoot well, shouldn't be expected to compete with an Elite 8 level team.
05-03-2014 10:04 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(05-03-2014 10:04 AM)Chattanoogatiger Wrote:  

Every one of Pastner's teams has had significant deficiencies that hindered them from making a big run. Had nothing to do with Pastner's coaching ability.

A team relying on smallish guards that can't consistently shoot well, shouldn't be expected to compete with an Elite 8 level team.

Playing Defense;taking better shots; limiting Turnovers; executing an offense....having players understand their roles and putting them in position to utilize their strengths has EVERYTHING to do with coaching abilities...from the head coach as well as the assistants! Basketball 101 to be exact!
05-03-2014 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Special Teams

(05-03-2014 10:04 AM)Chattanoogatiger Wrote:  

Who decided to rely on smallish guards?
05-03-2014 10:22 AM
Special Teams

While I have never thought Pastner was the right guy for this job, I don't want to turn this into an anti-Pastner thread. He's the coach at my alma mater and I would rejoice the day that he forces me to eat a huge plate of crow in regard to my opinion of his abilities. I simply disagree with the OPs assertion that Josh could do better with less talented players.
05-03-2014 10:30 AM
Ramen_Tiger Offline
Banned

So did Josh suck it up this season? He did pretty ok to me.
05-03-2014 10:37 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(05-03-2014 10:30 AM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  While I have never thought Pastner was the right guy for this job, I don't want to turn this into an anti-Pastner thread. He's the coach at my alma mater and I would rejoice the day that he forces me to eat a huge plate of crow in regard to my opinion of his abilities. I simply disagree with the OPs assertion that Josh could do better with less talented players.

Yeah.....There will be a major coaching effort this year! Gonna have to really dig down deep to get the players performing at the best of they're abilities....And it's going to have to start soon! Austin and Shaq are going to have to domin8 and allow the newcomers to develop and grow into their respective role!
05-03-2014 10:57 AM
presskh Offline
Heisman

(05-03-2014 08:27 AM)bubbapt Wrote:  The teams that win NCAA championships have NBA talent.

As I remember, UCONN didn't have a single McDonald's all-American this year. I believe Napier was #98 in his recruiting class. So, you don't necessarily need top-ten talent coming out of HS - but you do have to be able to recognize and develop the talent of the players you have. I must admit, even though I have always supported Pastner, developing talent seems to be one of his biggest weaknesses (on top of being a not-so-good team motivational speaker and TV interviewer). I'll argue that, in most cases, three or four year 4* players will result in an overall better and more consistent program than one-and-done 5*'s.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2014 11:04 AM by presskh.)
05-03-2014 11:01 AM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(05-03-2014 10:37 AM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  So did Josh suck it up this season? He did pretty ok to me.

"Memphis Basketball: Pretty Ok."
05-03-2014 11:24 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

(05-03-2014 11:01 AM)presskh Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 08:27 AM)bubbapt Wrote:  The teams that win NCAA championships have NBA talent.

As I remember, UCONN didn't have a single McDonald's all-American this year. I believe Napier was #98 in his recruiting class. So, you don't necessarily need top-ten talent coming out of HS - but you do have to be able to recognize and develop the talent of the players you have. I must admit, even though I have always supported Pastner, developing talent seems to be one of his biggest weaknesses (on top of being a not-so-good team motivational speaker and TV interviewer). I'll argue that, in most cases, three or four year 4* players will result in an overall better and more consistent program than one-and-done 5*'s.

So, you don't necessarily need top-ten talent coming out of HS - but you do have to be able to recognize and develop the talent of the players you have. I must admit, even though I have always supported Pastner, developing talent seems to be one of his biggest weaknesses

This^ ! Other than that, He's a wonderful Ambassador of the program! +77 Jack Ramsey props
05-03-2014 01:09 PM
BIGGESTTIGERJLB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofM TIGERS!
Keep all sharp objects away from this thread

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-03-2014 01:31 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

03-lmfao
05-03-2014 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.