Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is your Vision of the future Big East?
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
What is your Vision of the future Big East?
Will it be an all-sports conference, a hybrid conference, or a confederacy between a basketball conference and a football conference?

Key issues for Big East:

Notre Dame Football
Nova Football
9th football team
10-18-2006 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

I would prefer an all-sports conference myself, but what the future holds is beyond my vision.
10-18-2006 04:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I want an all-sports conference, also.
10-18-2006 04:40 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

Why does it matter that some schools don't play division I-A football?
10-18-2006 04:51 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Well, we need to make room for the 9th and 10th 1A football teams. Of course Notre Dame and Villanova could solve this problem, but they will not.
10-18-2006 04:54 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

But why does the BE need another team to play DI-A football? It's doing fine with eight.
10-18-2006 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I would like an all sports conference but i dont see it happenning anytime soon.
as for the poster that ask why is that important? I think that for a league to succeed and grow ALL members must be in the same boat. It doesnt help when large number in the league do not share in success or failure in one of the main money making and exposure sports.
10-18-2006 05:01 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

or why not drop ND upgrade Villanova and add a replacement team for ND that plays all sports. Ten teams in Football and still sixteen b-ball schools.
10-18-2006 05:03 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Fanatical Wrote:But why does the BE need another team to play DI-A football? It's doing fine with eight.

So, if the conference is ever raided again, we will have enough teams to survive a raid!
10-18-2006 05:04 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Key issues for Big East:

Notre Dame Football
Nova Football
9th football team

-- As long as NBC/TV Networks want to broadcast ND football...they will have no interest in BE football. The Irish will be here as long as there is a 16 team league, the Catholic schools love having them in hoops and frankly we still need them for bowls

-- Nova is not coming. There are to many money issues.

-- I want an all sports league too. However, we need to look around. Who do you want to add after the split? Memphis? UCF? All they are going to do is water down what is becoming a pretty good little football league. Now if Penn St comes calling that changes the equation. The only school I would add for football right now is Navy. There are a traditional Eastern team, have a good market, the bowls like them and they have a relationship with ND. Other then that the pickins are slim.

-- Untill a quality all sports canidate presents itself, lets just sit back and enjoy the current BE. Football is getting better each yr and the hoops is GREAT

Jackson
10-18-2006 05:47 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

Wilkie01 Wrote:
Fanatical Wrote:But why does the BE need another team to play DI-A football? It's doing fine with eight.

So, if the conference is ever raided again, we will have enough teams to survive a raid!
There won't be another raid on the BEast. OF course, the reverse may not be true. I wouldn't be surprised to see BC and Maryland leave the ACC for the BEast eventually.
10-18-2006 06:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

It's the same situation as early 2000's. ACC has no contender & B-E teams market is growing. B-E has to do something to protect itself. Also I can't believe BCS bowls paying 6 or 7 schools 17 million & not wondering how to get it down to 5.
10-18-2006 07:54 PM
Bearcat 1984 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati !!!

In the short-term the Hybrid Whorehouse will continue.

but "what's wrong with the current setup?"

try scheduling. 7 conference games and 5 non conference. and where this is particularly difficult is that our smaller stadiums don't generate the same revenue per game. so that 1aa game is not nearly the cash cow that it is for an Ohio State. And the bidding war is driving up the price of buying a 1aa or 1a opponent.

the big east would be best served by a 10 or 11 team conference with a 9 or 10 game conference slate to reduce these other costs.

then there is the issue of conference focus. You need a common vision articulated to drive expansion, tv, initiatives, branding, etc.
10-18-2006 10:38 PM
tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

The DEAD HORSE IS CONTINUALLY BROUGHT UP BY CRAPPY.Its not happening.I am glad everyone is sure about what Villanova is doing when they have announced NOTHING.The only stadium they are fixing up is their current one.They have a new scoreboard and press box.If they move up they they will likelyexpand it for 1AA games and games with low level 1A teams.Otherwise its the LINC.
10-19-2006 06:07 AM
Quote this message in a reply
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

tigersharktwo Wrote:The DEAD HORSE IS CONTINUALLY BROUGHT UP BY CRAPPY.Its not happening.I am glad everyone is sure about what Villanova is doing when they have announced NOTHING.The only stadium they are fixing up is their current one.They have a new scoreboard and press box.If they move up they they will likelyexpand it for 1AA games and games with low level 1A teams.Otherwise its the LINC.

The dead horse is continually brought up by TS2 05-deadhorse Villanova can't play at the Linc unless they play Temple. Temple has the lease to play FB there until around 2015 or 2018. I think they had 15 years left
in 2003 but I am not sure. If Nova moves up and that is a big IF :drunk2: they will have to play somewhere else - more than likey at Franklin Field if Penn lets them play there IF they move up.
10-19-2006 06:17 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

For the future BE I say bring back Temple for scheduling purposes. Its cheaper over all to give them a reduced piece of the BE pie than to make big payouts for other Mac, Cusa, and 1-AA teams that don't showup anyway. It gives each team a 4 & 4 home and away schedule. And it gives each BE FB team and automatic win towards their bowl season over a BCS team. lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao lmfao
10-19-2006 06:23 AM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Fanatical Wrote:Why does it matter that some schools don't play division I-A football?
I'll tell you what does matter. This sorry comglammeration that prevents every team from playing a round robin home and home basketball schedule. And, it's now depriving us of a home and home vs. Louisville.

I love being in the BE, but it's ruining UC's rivalries
10-19-2006 07:50 AM
tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

panite Wrote:
tigersharktwo Wrote:The DEAD HORSE IS CONTINUALLY BROUGHT UP BY CRAPPY.Its not happening.I am glad everyone is sure about what Villanova is doing when they have announced NOTHING.The only stadium they are fixing up is their current one.They have a new scoreboard and press box.If they move up they they will likelyexpand it for 1AA games and games with low level 1A teams.Otherwise its the LINC.

The dead horse is continually brought up by TS2 05-deadhorse Villanova can't play at the Linc unless they play Temple. Temple has the lease to play FB there until around 2015 or 2018. I think they had 15 years left
in 2003 but I am not sure. If Nova moves up and that is a big IF :drunk2: they will have to play somewhere else - more than likey at Franklin Field if Penn lets them play there IF they move up.
PANTEEN YOU CANNOT READ.CRAPPY STARTED THIS CRAP.BY THE WAY CHECK ON VILLANOVA PLAYING TEMPLE AT THE LINC FOR 4 YEARS.
10-19-2006 08:24 AM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
vision of the future
My vision of the future of the Big East is that it will become a conference whose fans someday will not have to be on the internet posting about things like bowl problems, expansion issues, and split desires.
10-19-2006 08:26 AM
tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

BJUnklFkr Wrote:
Fanatical Wrote:Why does it matter that some schools don't play division I-A football?
I'll tell you what does matter. This sorry comglammeration that prevents every team from playing a round robin home and home basketball schedule. And, it's now depriving us of a home and home vs. Louisville.

I love being in the BE, but it's ruining UC's rivalries
It certainly not as good as a 12 member league with a adding psu,nd,bc and md,but is sure better than anything like the the cusa leftovers.
10-19-2006 08:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.