Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC 5 Year TV Contract Look In: Time for UCF & USF?
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Exclamation ACC 5 Year TV Contract Look In: Time for UCF & USF?
An idea I'm having for the ACC is it might make the most sense to try and double down on Florida and become for Florida what the B12 is for Texas, the P5 conference for that particular state.

UCF and USF in a P5 conference are going to be great recruiting programs that add depth to the ACC in football. The ACC as it is right now has FSU and Clemson at the top but isn't particularly deep.

UConn has great tradition in men's basketball but would it matter to an ACC which is going to place 10 teams in the tournament every year with the 15 programs they have.

Another reason to move quickly on UCF/USF is to lock them up before the B12 gets their hands on them.
11-14-2013 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: ACC 5 Year TV Contract Look In: Time for UCF & USF?
As long as Florida State and Miami (FL) are both members of the ACC, then neither UCF nor South Florida will be.

It really is as simple as that.
11-14-2013 12:26 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
Just what the ACC needs, another state with 4 schools ... I doubt anyone wants an NC South... lol Next!
11-14-2013 12:36 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
yeah.....no
11-14-2013 12:38 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
FSU and Miami care as much about UCF and USF as any one with half a brain feels about the kardashians.
11-14-2013 12:42 AM
justinslot Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers&Temple
While ending up with a record 4 schools who are not the most popular school in their own state would be an extremely ACC thing to do....I think they avoid this scenario.

UConn goes in next look in if they are still out there. The ACC assumed they would always be available--so of course I really hope UConn goes somewhere else in the interim and they get burnt.
11-14-2013 01:08 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
totally disagree with UConn. With the emergence of FSU and Clemson in top tier football again- they're going to wield a ton of power. No way they want a mediocre at best football team dragging down the ACC at all. We saw it last year when they got Louisville in and UConn not in. And FSU/Clemson/Miami are stronger now than before.
11-14-2013 01:16 AM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(11-14-2013 01:08 AM)justinslot Wrote:  While ending up with a record 4 schools who are not the most popular school in their own state would be an extremely ACC thing to do....I think they avoid this scenario.
LOL, that's all true.

Quote:UConn goes in next look in if they are still out there.
Probable, not definite.

Quote:The ACC assumed they would always be available
Yes.

Quote:so of course I really hope UConn goes somewhere else in the interim and they get burnt.
"somewhere else"??

You mean like Pac-12, SEC, or Big XII?
11-14-2013 01:19 AM
goodknightfl Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-14-2013 12:26 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  As long as Florida State and Miami (FL) are both members of the ACC, then neither UCF nor South Florida will be.

It really is as simple as that.

^ This. ^ If UCF and USF get called to go anywhere it will be the B12. With FSU they already have a huge following in central fla. Expansion is about TV and ACC doesn't need FLA.

Houston, Tulane Cincy, and Uconn would all make more sense.
11-14-2013 08:45 AM
OldGoldnBlue Offline
1st String

I Root For: WVU
There is no way the Big 12 would take both Florida schools. If the choice was mine I would take UCF but I would rather just stay at 10
11-14-2013 09:18 AM
Metacog Drivel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
UCF and USF literally have 0 chance of getting into the ACC.
11-14-2013 09:20 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
If future ACC expansion is about Football 1st. WVU would be best available choice but would require a lot of negotiations . From Big 12 to changing views on what some consider hostile fan environment. Not really sold on that view Myself as most WVU fans I've been around have been pretty good. Cincinnati has good recent Football success and should be in the Mix as well. I doubt anyone would leave the SEC, B1G as those have huge payouts to members.
New Markets added could come from Texas and or Oklahoma if They were to break up the Big12. Just not that many options out ther for adding a fairly Big Name Football school that can leave an existing conference that the ACC doesn't already cover. Basketball markets are another story though. Maybe Navy as Football only to offset ND as another Football option. Could help the Maryland loss.
11-14-2013 09:31 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-14-2013 12:24 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  An idea I'm having for the ACC is it might make the most sense to try and double down on Florida and become for Florida what the B12 is for Texas, the P5 conference for that particular state.

03-lmfao

As long as the SEC has Florida, it will be "the P5 conference for that particular state".
11-14-2013 09:48 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
(11-14-2013 09:20 AM)Metacog Drivel Wrote:  UCF and USF literally have 0 chance of getting into the ACC.

which is still better than uconns chances......
11-14-2013 10:10 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
If Central Floirda continues on its present course, than I think the ACC will add one football school (Central Florida) and one basketball school (UConn) to even things out and make everyone happy.
11-14-2013 10:13 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I think the ACC will try to stay at 14/15 schools for now and will consider schools like UConn, Cincinnati, UCF and USF as back fillers, should other ACC schools leave for either the Big Ten or SEC (nobody is leaving for the Big 12 or the Pac-12).

Frankly, I don't see defections as being very likely for the foreseeable future. However, given the wildly unstable nature of the college athletics landscape over the past decade, one would have to be a complete fool to ever say never on just about anything.

As for UCF and/or USF, I think the only way they get into the ACC is if Florida State and/or Miami leave that league. Otherwise they are likely going to be on the outside looking in. That said, if say, FSU were to leave for say, the SEC, I believe that one of the twin Florida schools would almost certainly serve as their replacement ahead of UConn, Cincinnati and the other Florida based AAC school.
11-14-2013 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Also, I slightly favor UCF over USF but it is by the thinnest of margins. Both are fine additions to any league. I just think the Knights have a slightly higher ceiling than the Bulls based on the fact that Tampa has an NFL team whereas Orlando does not as well as the fact that UCF's campus is larger and more isolated and insular feeling than USF's. That would likely lead to better football following over the long haul. They are both good choices and each has a lot of potential but my slight nod would go to UCF.

Finally, I must also add that I think they are each worth more to any league as a package than they would be as a singular entity. That rivalry has a lot of potential and that helps set each school apart from other potential AAC options. That is why I think they make the most sense for the Big 12 as schools nos. 11 and 12.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 11:43 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
11-14-2013 11:25 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
I don't see the ACC preemptively adding anyone at this point unless the Big 12 falls apart. The whole process is in a holding pattern until someone already in the P5 blinks and switches conferences. If UVa or NC leave the ACC for the Big Ten or SEC, then maybe UCF or USF are on the table out of necessity. Otherwise, no effing way.
11-14-2013 12:22 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-14-2013 11:21 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I think the ACC will try to stay at 14/15 schools for now and will consider schools like UConn, Cincinnati, UCF and USF as back fillers, should other ACC schools leave for either the Big Ten or SEC (nobody is leaving for the Big 12 or the Pac-12).

... and with the GoR's in place, movement among the P5 isn't happening until at least the end of this decade, which means that we are all stuck in the AAC for probably the next 7-10 years, minimum.

As for USF vs UCF, put your money on USF. UCF had an 18-year head start on us in football, and yet we blew right past them in no time at all. Orlando is a Disneyworld town and always will be, and the competition from UF is way too great over there for UCF football to ever really take off. Yes, we have lots of UF and FSU fans in Tampa as well, but not the smothering amount they have up in Orlando.

UCF has a better team than us this year but that's an aberration. USF football will soon be on top of UCF once again, count on it. USF has proven we can draw 60,000 or so for games (if the team is good), UCF couldn't even sell out its erector set stadium for a humongous game vs Houston.

USF has the better present and future than UCF.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2013 12:29 PM by quo vadis.)
11-14-2013 12:25 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-14-2013 12:25 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-14-2013 11:21 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I think the ACC will try to stay at 14/15 schools for now and will consider schools like UConn, Cincinnati, UCF and USF as back fillers, should other ACC schools leave for either the Big Ten or SEC (nobody is leaving for the Big 12 or the Pac-12).

... and with the GoR's in place, movement among the P5 isn't happening until at least the end of this decade, which means that we are all stuck in the AAC for probably the next 7-10 years, minimum.

As for USF vs UCF, put your money on USF. UCF had an 18-year head start on us in football, and yet we blew right past them in no time at all. Orlando is a Disneyworld town and always will be, and the competition from UF is way too great over there for UCF football to ever really take off. Yes, we have lots of UF and FSU fans in Tampa as well, but not the smothering amount they have up in Orlando.

UCF has a better team than us this year but that's an aberration. USF football will soon be on top of UCF once again, count on it. USF has proven we can draw 60,000 or so for games (if the team is good), UCF couldn't even sell out its erector set stadium for a humongous game vs Houston.

USF has the better present and future than UCF.

USF has also made it further up in the rankings than UCF as well.

I like both. Huge schools with a lot of alumni. They can both compete in the ACC and help enhance Florida recruiting of existing schools.
11-14-2013 01:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.