Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CCHA to reform in hockey with MAC schools
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
CCHA to reform in hockey with MAC schools
http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports/fla...y-10-30-13

A report from the Bowling Green newspaper says BGSU may withdraw from the WCHA, Miami and WMU from the NCHC, and Robert Morris, Niagara, Canisius, Mercyhurst and maybe Ferris State my join them in a reborn CCHA.

Atlantic Hockey may get either St Anshelm, Rhode Island, or Navy to replace the AHA teams. The WCHA would survive with 8, provided the Upper Peninsula teams stay. The NHCH would be at six, and maybe add Iowa State, Colorado as new teams or be forced to add Minn St-Mankata and Bemidji St.
11-02-2013 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: CCHA to reform in hockey with MAC schools
thank you penn state
11-02-2013 07:47 PM
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(11-02-2013 07:47 PM)john01992 Wrote:  thank you penn state

So you would rather there be no room for growth in hockey? UAH fold?

Very short-sighted.
11-02-2013 08:23 PM
john01992 Offline

(11-02-2013 08:23 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 07:47 PM)john01992 Wrote:  thank you penn state

So you would rather there be no room for growth in hockey? UAH fold?

Very short-sighted.

im just point out how one school getting one donation brought the hockey world to its knee's
11-02-2013 08:23 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Perfect time for Syracuse to start up a men's program.
11-02-2013 08:40 PM
john01992 Offline

(11-02-2013 08:40 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Perfect time for Syracuse to start up a men's program.

we got the money, the facilities, the fan support, the regional rivalries, but which womens sport do we add and which conference do we join....
11-02-2013 08:42 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-02-2013 08:42 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 08:40 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Perfect time for Syracuse to start up a men's program.

we got the money, the facilities, the fan support, the regional rivalries, but which womens sport do we add and which conference do we join....

The new Lake Erie / CCHA would be the ideal conference to join. Hockey East is full. This may be your chance.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013 08:51 PM by NoDak.)
11-02-2013 08:50 PM
john01992 Offline

(11-02-2013 08:50 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

The new Lake Erie / CCHA would be the ideal conference to join. Hockey East is full. This may be your chance.

im really hoping the b10 pulls a john hopkins & gives us an affiliate to make the b10 even at 8 teams when UNL upgrades
11-02-2013 08:53 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I'm not sure if Miami would go for this. The new NCHC is a deep conference with a good TV deal, I'm not sure if a reborn CCHA would have the same clout as that. It would if OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State came back, but obviously that's not happening.
11-02-2013 09:02 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I guess the TV contract the NCHC has isn't enough to offset the additional travel costs for Miami (OH) and Western Michigan.

If the MAC were serious about forming a hockey conference, it really needs a fourth school from within the MAC to make it "theirs". At six MAC schools, the MAC wouldn't have to mess with affiliate members, although one or two may not hurt given that thee of the six full members would have new varsity hockey programs.

Not that this would happen, but this would make the most sense for everyone involved (*new varsity program):

NCHC (6)
Colorado College, Denver, MN-Duluth, St. Cloud State, NE-Omaha, North Dakota

WCHA (10)
Alaska, AK-Anchorage, Air Force, Bemidji State, Minnesota State, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Iowa State*, Colorado*

MAC (6)
Western Michigan, Miami (OH), Bowling Green, UAH, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech

Atlantic Hockey (8)
Canisius, Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart, RIT, Niagara, Robert Morris, American International, Bentley

Hockey East (12)
Boston College, UConn, Maine, UMass, UMass-Lowell, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Notre Dame, Providence, Vermont, Rhode Island*

Ivy League (6)
Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Yale

Patriot League (10)
Army, Holy Cross, Boston University, Colgate, Navy*, Clarkson, RPI, St. Lawrence, Union, Quinnipiac

Big Ten (8)
Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska*, Illinois*
11-02-2013 09:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Syracuse starting man's hockey may be the reason that there is talk.
11-02-2013 09:11 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-02-2013 09:02 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  I'm not sure if Miami would go for this. The new NCHC is a deep conference with a good TV deal, I'm not sure if a reborn CCHA would have the same clout as that. It would if OSU, Michigan, and Michigan State came back, but obviously that's not happening.

Doubt they would, but if Syracuse is joining, it would be worth a look.
11-02-2013 09:13 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-02-2013 09:06 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  I guess the TV contract the NCHC has isn't enough to offset the additional travel costs for Miami (OH) and Western Michigan.

If the MAC were serious about forming a hockey conference, it really needs a fourth school from within the MAC to make it "theirs". At six MAC schools, the MAC wouldn't have to mess with affiliate members, although one or two may not hurt given that thee of the six full members would have new varsity hockey programs.

Not that this would happen, but this would make the most sense for everyone involved (*new varsity program):

NCHC (6)
Colorado College, Denver, MN-Duluth, St. Cloud State, NE-Omaha, North Dakota

WCHA (10)
Alaska, AK-Anchorage, Air Force, Bemidji State, Minnesota State, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Iowa State*, Colorado*

MAC (6)
Western Michigan, Miami (OH), Bowling Green, UAH, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech

Atlantic Hockey (8)
Canisius, Mercyhurst, Sacred Heart, RIT, Niagara, Robert Morris, American International, Bentley

Hockey East (12)
Boston College, UConn, Maine, UMass, UMass-Lowell, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Notre Dame, Providence, Vermont, Rhode Island*

Ivy League (6)
Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton, Yale

Patriot League (10)
Army, Holy Cross, Boston University, Colgate, Navy*, Clarkson, RPI, St. Lawrence, Union, Quinnipiac

Big Ten (8)
Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska*, Illinois*
Switch Ferris/Lake Sup St with Michigan Tech, and N Mich. Tech and Northern aren't bus league for teams east and south of Lake Erie.

Iowa St and Colorado wouldn't join the WCHA. Utah is probably more likely than Colorado anyway. The WCHA is a DII school league: look for teams like Simon Fraser, Minot St, Lindenwood. E Washington if it plays in Spokane.
11-02-2013 09:17 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
We had a lengthy discussion about the MAC sponsoring hockey over on our board, and we concluded that the only scenario where we could sponsor hockey is if we added UMass and got two good affiliate members to come along, while supporting other MAC schools to startup their a program to join us once they're developed enough. That would take years, and UMass might not even come to the MAC as a full member.

That's not to say it's impossible or has always been. Ohio sponsored a DI team in the CCHA in the seventies, as did Kent State in the nineties. Had they sustained theirs programs successfully, maybe the CCHA would still be around or we'd have MAC hockey today. It's just not very practical for Miami or WMU to go down a level in hockey when we're elite programs.

However, I see plenty of hockey potential in some MAC schools, and I would encourage them to explore some options there. Buffalo could take advantage of the hockey-rich upstate New York region, NIU would be the only DI school in Illinois, OU could even restart it if they had the initial investment. Outside the MAC, Syracuse, St. Louis, and Iowa State strike me as schools with hockey potential.
11-02-2013 09:25 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-02-2013 09:25 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  We had a lengthy discussion about the MAC sponsoring hockey over on our board, and we concluded that the only scenario where we could sponsor hockey is if we added UMass and got two good affiliate members to come along, while supporting other MAC schools to startup their a program to join us once they're developed enough. That would take years, and UMass might not even come to the MAC as a full member.

That's not to say it's impossible or has always been. Ohio sponsored a DI team in the CCHA in the seventies, as did Kent State in the nineties. Had they sustained theirs programs successfully, maybe the CCHA would still be around or we'd have MAC hockey today. It's just not very practical for Miami or WMU to go down a level in hockey when we're elite programs.

However, I see plenty of hockey potential in some MAC schools, and I would encourage them to explore some options there. Buffalo could take advantage of the hockey-rich upstate New York region, NIU would be the only DI school in Illinois, OU could even restart it if they had the initial investment. Outside the MAC, Syracuse, St. Louis, and Iowa State strike me as schools with hockey potential.
Thought Buffalo's AD was in favor but he moved to Syracuse.

Always viewed Wright State, IPFW, C Mich, and Oakland as should-be hockey schools. Iowa St and St Louis would be in NCHC territory.
11-02-2013 09:29 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(11-02-2013 09:29 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 09:25 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  We had a lengthy discussion about the MAC sponsoring hockey over on our board, and we concluded that the only scenario where we could sponsor hockey is if we added UMass and got two good affiliate members to come along, while supporting other MAC schools to startup their a program to join us once they're developed enough. That would take years, and UMass might not even come to the MAC as a full member.

Thought Buffalo's AD was in favor but he moved to Syracuse.

Always viewed Wright State, IPFW, C Mich, and Oakland as should-be hockey schools. Iowa St and St Louis would be in NCHC territory.

Central Michigan you think would be a natural rival for WMU in Hockey and they have a perfect setting for the sport.

Ohio is not going to get into the Hockey game. The school is placing all of its "chips" into men's basketball with hopes of developing a national program there.
11-02-2013 10:48 PM
Advertisement

LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass

I'd hazard a guess that Hockey East made an unofficial inquiry with Syracuse when they were looking for a 12th team to bring in with Notre Dame, and the response was discouraging enough to convince them to roll the dice on a UConn team playing 30 miles off campus instead. UConn surely wasn't BC's first choice, and I'd imagine BU and NU would have preferred Cuse as well if they were given any indication that that could be a realistic possibility in the near future. Instead only RPI emerged as a possible alternative to UConn, and UConn ultimately got the spot, most likely with the backing of the other New England state universities.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 01:29 AM by LastMinuteman.)
11-03-2013 01:28 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(11-02-2013 08:50 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

We should add women's gymnastics. I'm pretty sure the scholarships are close to endless if need be, the girls are pretty, and they can do it in the Dome.
11-03-2013 01:32 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(11-03-2013 01:28 AM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  

I'd hazard a guess that Hockey East made an unofficial inquiry with Syracuse when they were looking for a 12th team to bring in with Notre Dame, and the response was discouraging enough to convince them to roll the dice on a UConn team playing 30 miles off campus instead. UConn surely wasn't BC's first choice, and I'd imagine BU and NU would have preferred Cuse as well if they were given any indication that that could be a realistic possibility in the near future. Instead only RPI emerged as a possible alternative to UConn, and UConn ultimately got the spot, most likely with the backing of the other New England state universities.

I would MUCH rather be in the B1G hockey league, but you're probably right.
11-03-2013 01:33 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Is there any chance that new ACC teams are looking to start hockey? They could combine with Notre Dame and Boston College to create a power league. But in the meantime, they would need the MAC teams. Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville for hockey. They each have new dollars for the venture. The Penquins support a Pitt team. Maybe even NCState with the support of the Carolina Hurricanes. Louisville is looking at sponsoring men's lacrosse, so cross them out.

BC and ND don't want to share a spotlight with New England regional schools.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 01:23 PM by NoDak.)
11-03-2013 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.