Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN sub-licenses CBSSN to carry AAC football & basketball games [merged]
Derby Offline
tigris rex

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
ESPN sub-licenses CBSSN to carry AAC football & basketball games
Announcement Link

CBS SPORTS NETWORK REACHES MULTI-YEAR AGREEMENT WITH ESPN TO TELECAST AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL GAMES
CBS Sports Network to Feature American Athletic Conference Basketball Beginning with 2013-14 Season

Defending NCAA Men’s Champion Louisville and Women’s Champion UConn Prominently Featured on CBS Sports Network this Season

CBS Sports Network has acquired the rights to telecast college football and basketball games from the American Athletic Conference through a sub-licensing agreement with ESPN. The multi-year agreement begins with the 2013-14 college basketball season and continues through 2019-20.

The deal provides for 30 men’s basketball games per year, except for the first year, which calls for 25 games. CBS Sports Network also will telecast a minimum of 13, and maximum of 15 football games beginning with the 2014 season.

“We are pleased and excited about this ESPN-CBS agreement, which provides our member institutions unprecedented national exposure on the industry leaders in college sports,” said American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco. “CBS Sports Network is another outstanding national platform for our schools, and we thank ESPN for its role in making this agreement possible. We look forward to giving our fans the best seat in the house as we compete on the biggest stage in college sports in this, our inaugural season as the American, and for many years to come.”

“This deal adds high quality college football and basketball games to CBS Sports Network's already extensive line-up of live event programming,” said David Berson, President, CBS Sports. “We're proud to extend our relationship with the American Athletic Conference and look forward to showcasing exciting action on CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network beginning this season.”

With this deal, CBS Sports Network’s 2013-14 college basketball schedule includes five games featuring defending NCAA Champion Louisville. The agreement also includes five women’s basketball games per year with three appearances this season by defending NCAA Women’s Champion UConn. Earlier this year, CBS Sports also signed a long-term deal to broadcast American Athletic Conference men’s basketball games.

CBS Sports Network is available across the country through local cable, video and telco providers and via satellite on DirecTV Channel 221 and Dish Network Channel 158. For more information, including a full programming schedule and how to get CBS Sports Network, go to http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com.

The American Athletic Conference comprises the following 10 member institutions: the University of Central Florida; University of Cincinnati, University of Connecticut, University of Houston, University of Louisville, University of Memphis, Rutgers University, Southern Methodist University, University of South Florida, and Temple University. In 2014-15, East Carolina University, Tulane University and the University of Tulsa become full members. The U.S. Naval Academy joins in football only in 2015. The American Athletic Conference is a member of the Bowl Championship Series. For more information on the Conference and its membership, please visit http://www.TheAmerican.org.

Follow us on Twitter: @CBSSportsGang
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 02:47 PM by Derby.)
08-20-2013 02:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: ESPN sub-licenses CBSSN to carry AAC football & basketball games
Ew. Not a fan for football
08-20-2013 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
CBS Sports Network to televise American FB and BB
http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sport...355&shared

Quote:CBS Sports Network has acquired the rights to telecast college football and basketball games from the American Athletic Conference through a sub-licensing agreement with ESPN. The multi-year agreement begins with the 2013-14 college basketball season and continues through 2019-20.

The deal provides for 30 men’s basketball games per year, except for the first year, which calls for 25 games. CBS Sports Network also will telecast a minimum of 13, and maximum of 15 football games beginning with the 2014 season.

So 13-15 FB games per year on CBSSN out of 66.

And Louisville has 5 games on CBSSN:

Quote:With this deal, CBS Sports Network’s 2013-14 college basketball schedule includes five games featuring defending NCAA Champion Louisville.
08-20-2013 02:50 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

Cannot post entire article. Please crop.
08-20-2013 02:51 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I love the Gillen
08-20-2013 02:52 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: CBS Sports Network to televise American FB and BB
So wait what happened to that garbage about the 70 million homes minimum on the sub-licensed games? CBSSN isn't in anywhere close to that many homes.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 02:52 PM by b0ndsj0ns.)
08-20-2013 02:52 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

So what happened to that lie Aresco told about a minimum number of households that the sub-licensed games would be in? I specifically remember him saying a figure of 70 million homes which CBSSN isn't even close to.
08-20-2013 02:54 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(08-20-2013 02:52 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  So wait what happened to that garbage about the 70 million homes minimum on the sub-licensed games? CBSSN isn't in anywhere close to that many homes.

I'm assuming they have to get it up to 70 million homes by a certain date or they have to pay a fee to the conference. I have CBS SN and have watched A10 games for years. I actually like their graphics.

They currently are over 50M homes at the moment.
08-20-2013 02:55 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-20-2013 02:45 PM)Derby Wrote:  “We are pleased and excited about this ESPN-CBS agreement, which provides our member institutions unprecedented national exposure on the industry leaders in college sports,” said American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco.

If this deal means that AAC games that weren't going to appear anywhere now have a home on CBSSN, then Aresco has pulled off a nice caper here.

But if these 13-15 games are games we expected to appear on the ESPN family of networks, then it just means ESPN has dumped some of our inventory down to a lower-level outlet, bad for us. 07-coffee3
08-20-2013 02:56 PM
Derby Offline
tigris rex

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(08-20-2013 02:51 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Cannot post entire article. Please crop.

It's not an article, it a press release. Big difference.
08-20-2013 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(08-20-2013 02:55 PM)mlb Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 02:52 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  So wait what happened to that garbage about the 70 million homes minimum on the sub-licensed games? CBSSN isn't in anywhere close to that many homes.

I'm assuming they have to get it up to 70 million homes by a certain date or they have to pay a fee to the conference. I have CBS SN and have watched A10 games for years. I actually like their graphics.

You go with that assumption, and I'll go with the assumption that Aresco was just flat out lying again. I mean it doesn't matter that much since I get that channel, but why does everything that comes out of his mouth end up not being anywhere near reality?
08-20-2013 02:57 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: ESPN sub-licenses CBSSN to carry AAC football & basketball games [merged]
(08-20-2013 02:57 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  You go with that assumption, and I'll go with the assumption that Aresco was just flat out lying again. I mean it doesn't matter that much since I get that channel, but why does everything that comes out of his mouth end up not being anywhere near reality?

I know that FS1 had to keep a minimum number of homes or they had to either pay a penalty or move games to other channels for MLB and Big East basketball. That may be the same here... I'll wait to judge.
08-20-2013 02:59 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(08-20-2013 02:57 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

You go with that assumption, and I'll go with the assumption that Aresco was just flat out lying again. I mean it doesn't matter that much since I get that channel, but why does everything that comes out of his mouth end up not being anywhere near reality?

According to their FAQ, CBS Sports Network is available in 98 million homes:

http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/faq/

Quote:CBS Sports Network is available to 98 million homes nationwide. The network is available on cable, satellite, and video provider systems including Comcast, Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, Dish Network, Cablevision, Verizon FIOS, and more.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2013 03:06 PM by CommuterBob.)
08-20-2013 03:01 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I really hope these 13-15 games are the games beyond the ones ESPN agreed to
08-20-2013 03:02 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(08-20-2013 03:01 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

That deal starts with the upcoming basketball season. CBSSN getting into another 20M+ homes by then?

That's if that stipulation was ever actually in writing or just something Aresco was foaming at the mouth about.
08-20-2013 03:02 PM
Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
You know when Aresco lies? When he opens his mouth. Though I'm ok with CBSSN
08-20-2013 03:07 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(08-20-2013 03:02 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

That deal starts with the upcoming basketball season. CBSSN getting into another 20M+ homes by then?

That's if that stipulation was ever actually in writing or just something Aresco was foaming at the mouth about.

Pretty sure its in writing. The only way this makes sense is if these are the 10% +/- of games that were essentially 3rd tier games that were not going to be nationally televised. Those games wouldn't fall under 70 million requirement. In fact, getting those games on any national network would actually be an upgrade over just local regional coverage.
08-20-2013 03:07 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Let's go ahead and rename this thread "Aresco Sucks, part 9"
08-20-2013 03:08 PM
jlbphila Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofM
How many games will be left for ESPN to televise?
jlbphila Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofM
(08-20-2013 03:07 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 03:02 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(08-20-2013 02:55 PM)mlb Wrote:  I'm assuming they have to get it up to 70 million homes by a certain date or they have to pay a fee to the conference. I have CBS SN and have watched A10 games for years. I actually like their graphics.

Pretty sure its in writing. The only way this makes sense is if these are the 10% +/- of games that were essentially 3rd tier games that were not going to be nationally televised. Those games wouldn't fall under 70 million requirement. In fact, getting those games on any national network would actually be an upgrade over just local regional coverage.

That would be awesome. I'm not counting on it though.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.