Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yet another reason for Marshall fans to be excited!
Bookmark and Share
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Exclamation Yet another reason for Marshall fans to be excited!
According to twitter and several other sources 6'5" 260lb DE Ricardo Williams has transferred form Miami to Marshall. He should be at practice today. All indications point to him having to sit out this year as due course for transfers. He is a RS SO so he will lose his SO year of eligibilty from sitting out.

Those that follow recruiting will remember that we were in on him till the very end during his recruitment out of HS back in 2011. I don't know why he left but he only played one play last year and now he is in Huntington.

THIS IS A HUGE GET FOR US!
08-05-2013 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECU-DMB Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
RE: Yet another reason for Marshall fans to be excited!
(08-05-2013 09:28 AM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  According to twitter and several other sources 6'5" 260lb DE Ricardo Williams has transferred form Miami to Marshall. He should be at practice today. All indications point to him having to sit out this year as due course for transfers. He is a RS SO so he will lose his SO year of eligibilty from sitting out.

Those that follow recruiting will remember that we were in on him till the very end during his recruitment out of HS back in 2011. I don't know why he left but he only played one play last year and now he is in Huntington.

THIS IS A HUGE GET FOR US!

Just reading a few reports out of Miami it appears the transfer was related to playing time...Looks like a good pick-up.
08-05-2013 09:45 AM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

Yea he only played one play last year. They put about 50-60lbs on him down there and he was supposed to be a huge contributor this season. Something is going on down there because players like him pissing away a season of eligibility to get out is red flag. Supposedly one of their top WRs is leaving too.
08-05-2013 09:49 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-05-2013 09:49 AM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  Something is going on down there because players like him pissing away a season of eligibility to get out is red flag. Supposedly one of their top WRs is leaving too.

There are a few things going on down in Miami. One of them started at the end of 2004. When Donna Shalala took over as president she raised the ACT score from 21 to 26 for student athletes. Thy can no longer get the Ray Lewis (well they couldn't get the RL then anyway, Ray was a NQer and then the BE could take NQers) and the Frank Gore type of players. The 2nd thing going on down there is the last 2 coaches have ignored for the most part those Miami players that they can get. Randy Shannon went to Miami Norland High School and would not recruit from Miami Central who was MNHS rival. For some reason he wouldn't or couldn't let the rivalry go and do what was best for the University of Miami. And Al Golden just doesn't have any recruiting ties to the South Florida area.
08-05-2013 12:20 PM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

Looks like we may have gotten another steal. DL Jalen Stevenson was in practice today. Rivals has him as a two star prospect in the 2013 with no offers. However at Lakland (FL) which is either 5A or 6A ball he had 25 sacks in his junior season shattering the previous mark of 17 that held for over 12 years.

Some of our Florida residents said he was on all the ESPN and Rivals rising junior lists but because of grades his recruiting and ratings severly suffered. A few things I read said he could have been a high three star to low four star recuit had he been right in the classroom.
08-05-2013 12:36 PM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

(08-05-2013 12:20 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 09:49 AM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  Something is going on down there because players like him pissing away a season of eligibility to get out is red flag. Supposedly one of their top WRs is leaving too.

There are a few things going on down in Miami. One of them started at the end of 2004. When Donna Shalala took over as president she raised the ACT score from 21 to 26 for student athletes. Thy can no longer get the Ray Lewis (well they couldn't get the RL then anyway, Ray was a NQer and then the BE could take NQers) and the Frank Gore type of players. The 2nd thing going on down there is the last 2 coaches have ignored for the most part those Miami players that they can get. Randy Shannon went to Miami Norland High School and would not recruit from Miami Central who was MNHS rival. For some reason he wouldn't or couldn't let the rivalry go and do what was best for the University of Miami. And Al Golden just doesn't have any recruiting ties to the South Florida area.

If you got back and read about AJ Legget's commitment to Marshall. Golden and his staff seem like entitled pricks. AJ said that once Golden took over and when AJ first verballed to them they stopped talking to him. Even when he would call them they acted like he was no longer important because he was already committed. He said the way Doc and our staff contacted him every day and kept in touch is why he came here.

Some point to his grades (he fully qualified by the way) as to why he didn't go to Miami but he said had they not been like that he would have been more than happy to have prepped.
08-05-2013 12:40 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2013 12:40 PM)BleedsGreen33 Wrote:  If you got back and read about AJ Legget's commitment to Marshall. Golden and his staff seem like entitled pricks. AJ said that once Golden took over and when AJ first verballed to them they stopped talking to him. Even when he would call them they acted like he was no longer important because he was already committed. He said the way Doc and our staff contacted him every day and kept in touch is why he came here.

Some point to his grades (he fully qualified by the way) as to why he didn't go to Miami but he said had they not been like that he would have been more than happy to have prepped.

From what I have heard Golden isn't that good of a coach to begin with. He had a losing record at Temple (27-34).

Temple
06- 1-11 (Independent)
07- 4-8 (MAC)
08- 5-7
09- 9-4
10- 8-4

Miami
11- 6-6
12- 7-5

Golden never beat a MAC school with a winning record. And at 13-11 over 2 seasons if he goes 6-6, 7-5 or even 8-4 again he may be looking for another job.

As far as having kids like AJ Leggett, Kevin Grooms and even Angelo Jean Louis at Marshall that will hopefully just make it that much easier to recruit high talent from South Florida. Along with Cato and Shuler who weren't real high recruits but have started to put up amazing numbers under Doc and Legg.
08-05-2013 02:37 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

You do realize what he accomplished at Temple was a miracle. Winning 17 games in two seasons, improvement every year, for a team that has sucked forever.
08-05-2013 03:21 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2013 03:21 PM)banker Wrote:  You do realize what he accomplished at Temple was a miracle. Winning 17 games in two seasons, improvement every year, for a team that has sucked forever.

He done it playing MAC schools. Temple will start playing tougher competition and you will see the 3-4 win seasons come back, last year was a 4 win season. A blind man could coach 8 wins against Ball State, Buffalo, Akron and Kent State.
08-05-2013 05:34 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

Just curious, does Marshall recruit West Virginia? Are there more Florida players than ny other state? Doc seems to have a nice little pipeline going with Florida.
08-05-2013 05:38 PM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

(08-05-2013 05:38 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Just curious, does Marshall recruit West Virginia? Are there more Florida players than ny other state? Doc seems to have a nice little pipeline going with Florida.

We do but WV does not produce FBS talent. We are lucky to produce 1-3 FBS contributors each year and once every 5 years we get an Aaron Dobson or Ryan Switzer. Randy doesn't count because Randy is one of the best recruits in the history of college football. There are a lot of factors that go into our lack of talent. Population and terrible rules that restrict year round development.
08-05-2013 05:45 PM
Advertisement

WinOrLoseEAGLE Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(08-05-2013 05:34 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(08-05-2013 03:21 PM)banker Wrote:  You do realize what he accomplished at Temple was a miracle. Winning 17 games in two seasons, improvement every year, for a team that has sucked forever.

He done it playing MAC schools. Temple will start playing tougher competition and you will see the 3-4 win seasons come back, last year was a 4 win season. A blind man could coach 8 wins against Ball State, Buffalo, Akron and Kent State.

Not Ellllllllllll0ss Johnson.
08-05-2013 05:51 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(08-05-2013 05:34 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

03-lmfao We're not getting 4 star recruits and other recruits with offers from top programs around the country to win 3 or 4 games a year.
08-06-2013 10:49 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies

Not to mention if you slam Golden for Temple wins what does that say about Heater?
08-06-2013 11:40 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-05-2013 05:38 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  Just curious, does Marshall recruit West Virginia? Are there more Florida players than ny other state? Doc seems to have a nice little pipeline going with Florida.

WV produces 2 maybe 3 DI players every year. Sometimes we get lucky and get a Doug Legursky, Jason Starkey, Mike Barber or Aaron Dobson.

(08-05-2013 05:51 PM)WinOrLoseEAGLE Wrote:  Not Ellllllllllll0ss Johnson.

I said a blind man, not Ellis Johnson.

(08-06-2013 11:40 PM)MUther Wrote:  Not to mention if you slam Golden for Temple wins what does that say about Heater?

Heater coached under Steve Addazio not Al Golden. And you can't take MAC level players and expect to play and win in the BE.
08-07-2013 12:27 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Heater was worse than Golden, which in terms of coaching, is pretty difficult to achieve.
08-07-2013 01:02 AM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(08-07-2013 12:27 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 11:40 PM)MUther Wrote:  Not to mention if you slam Golden for Temple wins what does that say about Heater?

Heater coached under Steve Addazio not Al Golden. And you can't take MAC level players and expect to play and win in the BE.

You argued in another thread that Heater coached when Temple was winning. I don't care who he coached under, but you can't say the wins were valid under one coach and not under another. And you can take MAC level players and win in the Big East. I would have put NIU up against most of the Big East last year and taken them for the win. But that doesn't matter because the MAC level players will not be playing in the Big East. They'll be playing in CUSAmerica+3+1.

PS Kent would likely have killed us last year.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 05:23 AM by MUther.)
08-07-2013 05:22 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2013 05:22 AM)MUther Wrote:  

You argued in another thread that Heater coached when Temple was winning. I don't care who he coached under, but you can't say the wins were valid under one coach and not under another. And you can take MAC level players and win in the Big East. I would have put NIU up against most of the Big East last year and taken them for the win. But that doesn't matter because the MAC level players will not be playing in the Big East. They'll be playing in CUSAmerica+3+1.

Kent was decent 2 years ago not last year. Last year Marshall would have beat Kent by 21 or more.

Last year Temple played in the BE and they beat Villanova, South Florida, UConn and Army.

Their D- was ranked in the mid 60s, they gave up an avg of 29 points a game. If we had that last year that means we would have been 10-2:

Marshall scoring:

WHO 34
WCU 52
Ohio 24
Rice 54
Purdue 41
Tulsa 38
USM 59
UCF 17
Memphis 38
UAB 31
Houston 44
ECU 59

(08-06-2013 10:49 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  03-lmfao We're not getting 4 star recruits and other recruits with offers from top programs around the country to win 3 or 4 games a year.

Temple is 125 games under .500 overall at 430-555-53 or a 44% winning percentage. Forgive me if I don't believe in Temple football.

Getting 4 star recruits, OK. You've had 2 4 star recruits since 2012. Nick Smith in 2012 and Anthony Davis is still just a verbal commitment so far. So really you have only had 1 4 star commit sign.

For the most part ECU, UCF, Cincy, Houston and Tulsa will beat you each time you play. UConn and SMU are a mystery. Memphis and Tulane will be toss up games with Temple.
08-07-2013 08:52 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(08-07-2013 08:52 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Kent was decent 2 years ago not last year. Last year Marshall would have beat Kent by 21 or more.

Kent was a game away from a BCS bowl.

Their offense would have run roughshod over our defense last year.
08-07-2013 09:53 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-07-2013 08:52 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 05:22 AM)MUther Wrote:  

Kent was decent 2 years ago not last year. Last year Marshall would have beat Kent by 21 or more.

Last year Temple played in the BE and they beat Villanova, South Florida, UConn and Army.

Their D- was ranked in the mid 60s, they gave up an avg of 29 points a game. If we had that last year that means we would have been 10-2:

Temple's total defense was ranked 90th last year; not in the mid-60's.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/c...am/1042/p2

Temple's scoring defense was 86th last year; not in the mid-60's (they gave up an average of 31.18 points per game).
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/c...am/1043/p2

Temple's red zone defense was 98th in the County last year; not in the mid-60's.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/c...am/1053/p2

Temple's passing defense was 66th in the country.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/c...am/1041/p2

Why pass against Temple when you could just run, because Temple's rush defens was 100th in the country last year.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/c...am/1040/p2

Temple was 95th in the Country in tackles for loss (one spot ahead of ECU).
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/c...am/1048/p2
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 12:28 PM by PirateMarv.)
08-07-2013 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.