Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another possibility for future expansion
Bookmark and Share
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Another possibility for future expansion
Weber State University in Ogden, UT (pop. 82,800) with an enrollment of 26,681. A beautiful campus that I visited a couple times and in a thriving communtiy. Weber currently is in the Big Sky Conference (FCS) and plays football in Stewart Stadium, a beautiful venue which seats 17,500. The basketball arena, which is usely filled up, is called Dee Events Center, seats12,000. It would fit in nicely between NMSU and Idaho. Easy to get to flying into Salt Lake City and driving a few miles up I-15. Check them out Mr. Benson. The move up to FBS would not be that hard for them and would be a plus for the SBC.
04-04-2013 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

RE: Another possibility for future expansion
Do you really want to expand more in the mountain time zone??? 01-wingedeagle
04-04-2013 01:03 PM
asucrutch23 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Well it would connect New Mexico and Idaho in my sig. Then we'd just need to add Alcorn State in the East and we'd be set!
04-04-2013 01:06 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

So much for a tight footprint conference. We are looking more and more like what the Big East was trying to do. Didn't work for them, won't work for us. We are going the wrong direction guys.
04-04-2013 01:12 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-04-2013 01:03 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Do you really want to expand more in the mountain time zone??? 01-wingedeagle

Since we have Idaho and NMSU why not add Weber St. FIU and FAU were way out the conference footprint, with absolute nothing in between. Now we have TXST, UTA, NMSU and Idaho. Nobody wants Jax State, Delaware or Liberty (me either on that one). Tell us what is the Utopia Football Conference for you?
04-04-2013 01:15 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(04-04-2013 01:12 PM)Usajags Wrote:  So much for a tight footprint conference. We are looking more and more like what the Big East was trying to do. Didn't work for them, won't work for us. We are going the wrong direction guys.

True that.
04-04-2013 01:25 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

(04-04-2013 01:15 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 01:03 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Do you really want to expand more in the mountain time zone??? 01-wingedeagle

Since we have Idaho and NMSU why not add Weber St. FIU and FAU were way out the conference footprint, with absolute nothing in between. Now we have TXST, UTA, NMSU and Idaho. Nobody wants Jax State, Delaware or Liberty (me either on that one). Tell us what is the Utopia Football Conference for you?

Yeah, but with NMSU and Idaho you are talking about moving one team every other year or less. With an all-sports member you are continuously moving oly sports teams in and out.
Would not mind Weber State at all except for the travel.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 01:29 PM by GoApps70.)
04-04-2013 01:28 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Idaho is for football only, and so is NMSU(currently). No reason to add a school just to keep a couple of football only members happy, besides, the only reason Idaho is here is because they have no where else to go. If and when they do, they will leave. We threw them a lifeline, that is what we gave them, we don't owe them anything else. We owe stAte and UALR to give a good look at Missouri St, I have no problem with them. You could say we owe Appy St to look into Virginia, even if it is Liberty(not saying we take them). There is a big difference between adding UTC, Jax St or anyone else inside the current footprint then adding a school in Utah.
04-04-2013 01:35 PM
VandalinBoise Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Idaho

Pacific Time Zone and Mountain Time Zone and you have more tv exposure and more $$$$$$. Sun Belt it from coast to coast for maximum exposure and media money.
04-04-2013 01:54 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
(04-04-2013 01:15 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  Since we have Idaho and NMSU why not add Weber St. FIU and FAU were way out the conference footprint, with absolute nothing in between. Now we have TXST, UTA, NMSU and Idaho. Nobody wants Jax State, Delaware or Liberty (me either on that one). Tell us what is the Utopia Football Conference for you?

Football
East
Troy
South Alabama
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
James Madison

West
Arkansas State
Louisiana
Monroe
Texas State
New Mexico State
Missouri State

Basketball
East
Troy
South Alabama
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
James Madison
Little Rock

West
Louisiana
Monroe
Texas State
New Mexico State
Missouri State
Arlington
Arkansas State

Idaho runs off to the Big Sky in a few years.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 02:59 PM by Eagleditka.)
04-04-2013 02:10 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(04-04-2013 01:35 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

Idaho is for football only, and so is NMSU(currently). No reason to add a school just to keep a couple of football only members happy, besides, the only reason Idaho is here is because they have no where else to go. If and when they do, they will leave. We threw them a lifeline, that is what we gave them, we don't owe them anything else. We owe stAte and UALR to give a good look at Missouri St, I have no problem with them. You could say we owe Appy St to look into Virginia, even if it is Liberty(not saying we take them). There is a big difference between adding UTC, Jax St or anyone else inside the current footprint then adding a school in Utah.

Do not think anyone at App State wanted you to look into Virginia to consider Liberty University. I had rather add a hippie colony in California. Now James Madison, that's different, would very much like to add them for all sports.
04-04-2013 02:16 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I was mostly referring to finding you guys someone close now with the losses of WKU and MTSU. It was also an example of why we would look into Virginia verses looking into Utah.
04-04-2013 02:21 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Delaware not an option. They are staying in the CAA and think App St and GA So aren't moving up. Third page of article has the quote, after is get a nice pic of Delle Donne on the front.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20...ck_check=1
04-04-2013 02:23 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
Texas, Missouri, Florida and Virginia should be our boarders IMO
04-04-2013 02:25 PM
Liberty22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty
(04-04-2013 02:16 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

Do not think anyone at App State wanted you to look into Virginia to consider Liberty University. I had rather add a hippie colony in California. Now James Madison, that's different, would very much like to add them for all sports.

If you truly want Liberty fans to go away, quit bringing us up in statements like this.. 05-nono
04-04-2013 02:29 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(04-04-2013 02:21 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I was mostly referring to finding you guys someone close now with the losses of WKU and MTSU. It was also an example of why we would look into Virginia verses looking into Utah.
I know, and we appreciate it, but not if it were to include Liberty. That would be too detrimental to the conference. JMU is the only school in Virginia worth considering, except William&Mary but they would probably not want FBS. They had a chance to get in the ACC years ago and turned it down. They consider themselves an Ivy League type school.
04-04-2013 02:38 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

(04-04-2013 02:29 PM)Liberty22 Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 02:16 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

If you truly want Liberty fans to go away, quit bringing us up in statements like this.. 05-nono

You do not have to lurk. That would stop it also.
04-04-2013 02:39 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(04-04-2013 01:12 PM)Usajags Wrote:  So much for a tight footprint conference. We are looking more and more like what the Big East was trying to do. Didn't work for them, won't work for us. We are going the wrong direction guys.

What is working for us? Schools are bailing out all around us. This is not a solid conference. It seems like no one wants to stay. Be honest, if South had a chance to bail out and jump to C-USA, wouldn't you be in favor it? Also nobody wanted Appy State and Georgia Southern when the were first mentioned. Now everyone still here is welcoming them with opened arms, myself included. Either we're going to salvage what is left or watch it fall apart. Do you want the likes of a Liberty, ETSU or Alabama State because they're "in the footprint?" Weber State would do us a favor by wanting to come to the SBC.
04-04-2013 02:43 PM
GoApps70 Offline

(04-04-2013 02:23 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Delaware not an option. They are staying in the CAA and think App St and GA So aren't moving up. Third page of article has the quote, after is get a nice pic of Delle Donne on the front.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20...ck_check=1

Didn't see the reference to what you said. Doubted Delaware would be into going FBS since they have only made passing reference to it.

App State beat Delaware in one of our championship games a few years ago, was a lot of fun. Partly just winning, but also because of that Northern mentality that they were so smart that they had us figured out. One of their running backs made a meaningless TD late in the game and out of frustration threw the football into the end zone and hit a cop. Looked like the cop was going to go after him for awhile. Really got humorous when we put in one of our back up QB's that hardly ever got to play and first play he runs @ 70 yards for a TD.
04-04-2013 02:52 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Honestly, the SBC would have been better served to not pull up any FCS schools, as well as C-USA not bring up any, combine the two leagues and be done with it. But that isn't the way it went, and now to survive we need to bring teams up. Other leagues have grown by adding metro areas, adding poorly attended teams becuase they were located in a large metro area. We are adding teams that have a history of success at the level they have been playing, have history and most important they actually have fans that attend their games. Although we did add Ga St and I'm none to happy about that one, still don't like it. However, I have always wanted Appy St in the SBC. I would like Jax St, why, because they are in my backyard, I see the support they get in this region, they get more then UAb could ever hope for.

Any school, given the opportunity will leave the SBC for C-USA, any C-USA will leave for the AAC, and any AAC team will leave for a BCS conference, it's the food chain and we just happen to be the bottom feeders. Will it stay this way, probably not, but it is the life we have right now.
04-04-2013 02:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.