TV Deal
Bookmark and Share
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
TV Deal
Saw this posted on the BE board:
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4881

looks like 1 year bball deal for the 13-14 season.

Looks like to him split happens for the '14-'15 season.

also:
The Catholic 7 are expected to focus on adding Xavier and Butler as their 8th and 9th teams, with Dayton, Saint Louis, Creighton and VCU as possible targets for expansion to a maximum total of 12 teams
01-24-2013 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: TV Deal
(01-24-2013 10:36 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Saw this posted on the BE board:

also:
The Catholic 7 are expected to focus on adding Xavier and Butler as their 8th and 9th teams, with Dayton, Saint Louis, Creighton and VCU as possible targets for expansion to a maximum total of 12 teams

Pretty much expected. It will be interesting to see who ends up getting left out of that group of 4.

If you're going by recent on-the-court competitiveness, it would be VCU, Creighton and Dayton.

If you're going by TV markets, it would be SLU, VCU and Creighton (Dayton left out because it's adjacent to Xavier's market despite being technically a separate TV market).

If you're going by institutional fit, it would be SLU, Creighton and Dayton.

If you're going by geographic fit, it would be VCU, Dayton and SLU.

Every school meets 3 of the criteria but misses on one of them.
01-24-2013 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

By the way, it continues to make me wonder why a lot of people think that Dayton is more of a lock than SLU or VCU. Once again, I know that Dayton is technically a separate TV market from Cincinnati, but it's the equivalent of how Washington, DC and Baltimore are separate TV markets. The Census Bureau has said that Cincinnati-Dayton will end up being one metro area under their definition within the next year or two in the same manner as DC/Baltimore and Dallas/Fort Worth. It might be because some of the current C7 schools have strong prior relationships with Dayton (I know that DePaul has), so that might be a factor. They also have a fantastic fan base, so Dayton should be given major props on that front. However, if we're just looking at it from Fox's interest in spreading Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2, is pairing Dayton with close-by Xavier worth, say, giving up the larger market of St. Louis with SLU or penetration further into the state of Virginia with VCU? I don't know the answer - it's just something to think about.
01-24-2013 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

I think end of the day VCU gets in. East will be VCU, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, and St John's. West will be Butler, Xavier, Marquette, DePaul, St Louis, and Creighton or Dayton(I'd say most likely Creighton)
01-24-2013 10:55 AM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
(01-24-2013 10:55 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think end of the day VCU gets in. East will be VCU, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, and St John's. West will be Butler, Xavier, Marquette, DePaul, St Louis, and Creighton or Dayton(I'd say most likely Creighton)
They've just gotta add at least one East Coast team. A 5-7 East/West split would be nuts, unless #11 & #12 are Gonzaga and ______.

As for markets, one of these things is not like the other....
[Image: osu9SDM.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 11:09 AM by thegalen.)
01-24-2013 11:08 AM
IrishBluejay Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CU and ND
(01-24-2013 10:36 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Saw this posted on the BE board:

also:

Thanks for the link, but this guy has been wrong about almost everything thus far. His "source" is clearly someone within the old Big East office (or possibly Aresco himself). Virtually every single one of his Blog posts contains predictions which are favorable to the old Big East or the membership of the old Big East. Remember that doozie from a week ago where he "reported" that UConn and Cinci were close to joining up with the C7.

Clearly, Aresco is working behind the scenes to try to salvage the Big East and, more specifically, to try to salvage next season. All of these Blaudshaun posts always paint the picture that everything is fine, everyone is staying and next year will be business as usual in the Big East.

We'll have to see what happens but I take these posts with a grain of salt.
01-24-2013 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(01-24-2013 11:08 AM)thegalen Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 10:55 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think end of the day VCU gets in. East will be VCU, Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, and St John's. West will be Butler, Xavier, Marquette, DePaul, St Louis, and Creighton or Dayton(I'd say most likely Creighton)
They've just gotta add at least one East Coast team. A 5-7 East/West split would be nuts, unless #11 & #12 are Gonzaga and ______.

I understand what you're intimating, but the thing is that the C7 already covers that highly dense area in the Boston/NYC/Philly/DC corridor. In essence, the C7 is the flip side of the Big Ten prior to expanding with Rutgers and Maryland - the new league already has the Northeast covered, so its new markets are about filling in the Midwest. That's not to say that VCU won't get in (I'm pretty sure Fox would want them), but pretty much all of the new untapped markets for the C7 that have any value are really Midwestern markets.
01-24-2013 11:52 AM
bmorex Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Xavier
Damn, I was hoping for a 2013 start.
01-24-2013 11:54 AM
monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
(01-24-2013 11:54 AM)bmorex Wrote:  Damn, I was hoping for a 2013 start.

My sentiments exactly. Also, I wouldn't place too much stock in his reporting of the rumored teams, he's just recycling what's already out there. I sure wish they'd get on with it though...

My guess is the C7 is being kind to Aresco in exchange for something in return (ie. Big East name or such).
01-24-2013 12:08 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
(01-24-2013 11:52 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I understand what you're intimating, but the thing is that the C7 already covers that highly dense area in the Boston/NYC/Philly/DC corridor. In essence, the C7 is the flip side of the Big Ten prior to expanding with Rutgers and Maryland - the new league already has the Northeast covered, so its new markets are about filling in the Midwest. That's not to say that VCU won't get in (I'm pretty sure Fox would want them), but pretty much all of the new untapped markets for the C7 that have any value are really Midwestern markets.
If you already own Boardwalk and Park Place, you put some hotels down. You don't make a play for Baltic Avenue....
01-24-2013 12:26 PM
monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
(01-24-2013 12:26 PM)thegalen Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 11:52 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I understand what you're intimating, but the thing is that the C7 already covers that highly dense area in the Boston/NYC/Philly/DC corridor. In essence, the C7 is the flip side of the Big Ten prior to expanding with Rutgers and Maryland - the new league already has the Northeast covered, so its new markets are about filling in the Midwest. That's not to say that VCU won't get in (I'm pretty sure Fox would want them), but pretty much all of the new untapped markets for the C7 that have any value are really Midwestern markets.
If you already own Boardwalk and Park Place, you put some hotels down. You don't make a play for Baltic Avenue....

I am not really interested in all in VCU and hope the presidents do not go in that direction.
01-24-2013 12:32 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
If they went to divisions and vcu wasn't included, the c 7 could put Xavier or Dayton in the east. I haven't' looked at a map but what is the difference in mileage between cincy and Providence and cincy and Omaha?
01-24-2013 12:47 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
(01-24-2013 11:08 AM)thegalen Wrote:  

Nuts is a bit strong. It's a shame there's no real available team in Boston to go after. Holy Cross gave up on big-time athletics long ago and BU only cares about Hockey.
01-24-2013 12:49 PM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: upsets
(01-24-2013 11:08 AM)thegalen Wrote:  They've just gotta add at least one East Coast team. A 5-7 East/West split would be nuts

Why? Who are your travel partners for the other sports in a 10-team league if you only add XU/Butler/SLU? You'd have 5 West and 5 East, what do you do?

Marq/DePaul, Butler/SLU, GT/Nova, Hall/SJU.... Xavier/Providence?

Now what's the difference if you add in Dayton & Creighton?
Marq/DePaul, SLU/Creighton, Xavier/Dayton, GT/Nova, Hall/SJU.... Butler/Providence?

How is one more nuts than the other?
01-24-2013 12:49 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
If VCU got it, and I don't think they will (at least in this 1st round), I would rather have Dayton be left out than SLU or especially Creighton. That would be the only double-up on a market, and would allow Xavier to dominate it even more.

Though their fans, obnoxious as ever, do deserve to get in.

I think its still going to be SLU, Creighton, Xavier, Dayton and Butler. Those are the safest picks and secure the stability of the conference, and most of these teams have shared conference allegiances with each other and DePaul and Marquette in the past (a few twice). I think this previous history and knowing each other well will be key.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 12:53 PM by aughnanure.)
01-24-2013 12:53 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-24-2013 12:49 PM)JPSchmack Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 11:08 AM)thegalen Wrote:  They've just gotta add at least one East Coast team. A 5-7 East/West split would be nuts

Why? Who are your travel partners for the other sports in a 10-team league if you only add XU/Butler/SLU? You'd have 5 West and 5 East, what do you do?

Marq/DePaul, Butler/SLU, GT/Nova, Hall/SJU.... Xavier/Providence?

Now what's the difference if you add in Dayton & Creighton?
Marq/DePaul, SLU/Creighton, Xavier/Dayton, GT/Nova, Hall/SJU.... Butler/Providence?

How is one more nuts than the other?

if it's 10 you're right....

but if 12 it makes no sense at all to have Butler being a travel partner for Providence. they aren't close at all. Makes more sense being:
Marquette/DePaul
St Louis/Creighton
Xavier/Butler
Georgetown/VCU
Nova/SJ/SH/Prov(in some fashion)

in hoops- 16 game schedule would mean for a school like Georgetown- only 3 road games to Marquette/DePaul/St Louis/Creighton/Xavier/Butler each year. That's not bad at all
01-24-2013 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(01-24-2013 12:47 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  If they went to divisions and vcu wasn't included, the c 7 could put Xavier or Dayton in the east. I haven't' looked at a map but what is the difference in mileage between cincy and Providence and cincy and Omaha?

Here's the big thing: an overwhelming number of C7 fans seem to split the new league into divisions in their heads, yet conferences with 12 schools or more have continuously chosen to not use divisions for basketball or really any sport outside of football. Divisions only matter for football because it's a requirement under NCAA rules in order to hold a conference championship game. Even the 16-team Big East, which is the size of a league that you would think would demand divisions, didn't split the league up.

Instead, the most that larger conferences do for basketball is assign a handful of protected annual rivals that schools will play twice per year and then rotate through everyone else. I'm fairly certain that will be the case for the C7, as well. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether there's "balance" between the east and west - this league almost certainly won't have divisions, so it's irrelevant.
01-24-2013 12:57 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-24-2013 12:53 PM)aughnanure Wrote:  If VCU got it, and I don't think they will (at least in this 1st round), I would rather have Dayton be left out than SLU or especially Creighton. That would be the only double-up on a market, and would allow Xavier to dominate it even more.

Though their fans, obnoxious as ever, do deserve to get in.

I think its still going to be SLU, Creighton, Xavier, Dayton and Butler. Those are the safest picks and secure the stability of the conference, and most of these teams have shared conference allegiances with each other and DePaul and Marquette in the past (a few twice). I think this previous history and knowing each other well will be key.

how in the hell are 2 schools with little to no NCAA sucess the last 45 years safe picks at all?

I mean think about it- for average basketball joe right now do they even know who in the hell St Louis or Dayton are right now? No flipping way.

End of the day, Fox will probably strongly hint to the C7 they need to add VCU.
01-24-2013 12:59 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-24-2013 12:57 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 12:47 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  If they went to divisions and vcu wasn't included, the c 7 could put Xavier or Dayton in the east. I haven't' looked at a map but what is the difference in mileage between cincy and Providence and cincy and Omaha?

Here's the big thing: an overwhelming number of C7 fans seem to split the new league into divisions in their heads, yet conferences with 12 schools or more have continuously chosen to not use divisions for basketball or really any sport outside of football. Divisions only matter for football because it's a requirement under NCAA rules in order to hold a conference championship game. Even the 16-team Big East, which is the size of a league that you would think would demand divisions, didn't split the league up.

Instead, the most that larger conferences do for basketball is assign a handful of protected annual rivals that schools will play twice per year and then rotate through everyone else. I'm fairly certain that will be the case for the C7, as well. Therefore, it doesn't matter whether there's "balance" between the east and west - this league almost certainly won't have divisions, so it's irrelevant.

I agree with you to some degree...

however look at the east division:
Georgetown
Villanova
St Johns
Seton Hall
Providence

and west division, adding Xavier and Butler
Marquette
DePaul
Xavier
Butler

doing the divisions allow those schools to play double round robin in divisions every year. Divisions actually would fit MUCH better than in the old Big East. Even with the adds- Creighton and St Louis to the west- that's a pretty good west division. Then VCU or Dayton to the east- it just fits.
01-24-2013 01:03 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
If they go 12, they probably won't do divisions but probably some type of pod system where a team like Creighton would play regional teams home and home (Marquette, Depaul, Saint Louis, Butler etc..) and rotate with teams on the east coast every other year.
01-24-2013 01:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.