Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tonight's win
Bookmark and Share
ATLMemphfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MEMPHIS HOOPS!!
Tonight's win
So, this is my first post of the season (mostly because I haven't had anything productive to say). I think the win tonight was big for us in several ways. First, it was pretty clear to me that Josh was sitting Tarik for the first half, and it benefited the tigers in a couple of ways.

1. It demonstrated Josh's authority to the team. Given the whipping we took for most of the first half, it would have been very easy for him to back down and put Tarik in, but he didn't. He took (or maintained) control of his team.

2. It showed Tarik that he IS needed, and that he has the be in the game mentally even when he isn't in it physically. I think tonight will prove to be a big confidence booster for Tarik, and the team as a whole because...

We got down big and we didn't fold. Yes, we knew their shooting would come back down to Earth, but we still had to stay focused and play our game, and we did. I know it was "just" Tulane, but I thought that given the way it went down, today's win was huge for us.
01-22-2013 10:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
RE: Tonight's win
(01-22-2013 10:06 PM)ATLMemphfan Wrote:  So, this is my first post of the season (mostly because I haven't had anything productive to say). I think the win tonight was big for us in several ways. First, it was pretty clear to me that Josh was sitting Tarik for the first half, and it benefited the tigers in a couple of ways.

1. It demonstrated Josh's authority to the team. Given the whipping we took for most of the first half, it would have been very easy for him to back down and put Tarik in, but he didn't. He took (or maintained) control of his team.

2. It showed Tarik that he IS needed, and that he has the be in the game mentally even when he isn't in it physically. I think tonight will prove to be a big confidence booster for Tarik, and the team as a whole because...

We got down big and we didn't fold. Yes, we knew their shooting would come back down to Earth, but we still had to stay focused and play our game, and we did. I know it was "just" Tulane, but I thought that given the way it went down, today's win was huge for us.

Yep, 3 points are 3 points it doesnt matter whose name is on the jersey shooting them. Might as well have been playing Duke tonight and even then I am not sure if Duke could have looked that good knocking down 3s with hands in their faces. Tulane's defense was very rigid in the first half as well.
01-22-2013 10:09 PM
Seabee TIger Fan Offline
No Ma'am

I Root For: Merica
I would have folded, especially when Shaq picked up number two.
01-22-2013 10:10 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Tulane is a darn decent team. We knew that coming in.

Their coach is getting the job done. Hopefully he can keep it going.
01-22-2013 10:11 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
They pushed us to our weakness and we came through.
01-22-2013 10:24 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Got to give em credit.

We wore their very, very short roster down in the 2nd half
01-22-2013 10:28 PM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Agree wit OP. Good post.
01-22-2013 10:30 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-22-2013 10:28 PM)dan o Wrote:  Got to give em credit.

They played 7 guys we played 8...They had 3 guys play more than 32 minutes we had 3 guys play more than 32 minutes...
01-22-2013 10:33 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I agree with OP wholeheartedly. wish it was against a more tougher opponent but the team learned alot in this game by coming back strong
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(01-22-2013 10:33 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

They played 7 guys we played 8...They had 3 guys play more than 32 minutes we had 3 guys play more than 32 minutes...

So, they were down a man
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(01-22-2013 10:33 PM)dan o Wrote:  

So, they were down a man

We have Frank.
01-22-2013 10:35 PM
Advertisement

TigeRy Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: U of M
(01-22-2013 10:06 PM)ATLMemphfan Wrote:  So, this is my first post of the season (mostly because I haven't had anything productive to say). I think the win tonight was big for us in several ways. First, it was pretty clear to me that Josh was sitting Tarik for the first half, and it benefited the tigers in a couple of ways.

:csnbbs: THANK YOU!

It's amazing how Pastner just can't win with some people. They complain that the players are too mentally weak and self-entitled, but when Pastner punishes a player for being a poor teammate they cry about Pastner not playing him. I'm just glad our coach isn't as weak-minded as some of the fans on here, who would crumple at the first sign of adversity, give in and lose the respect of the team.

And one thing you didn't mention - Black was able to get in a groove, play longer stretches, and not worry as much about playing too hard and fouling because he started off the second half with no fouls.

Overall, a good win by Pastner and the team. Go Tigers!
01-22-2013 10:42 PM
yankeetiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-22-2013 10:11 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  Tulane is a darn decent team. We knew that coming in.

Tulane lost to UTEP and SMU...they are not good.

That being said, it was great to see us come back, but let Josh sell the fantasy about teams in our conference being good...they are ALL terrible.
01-22-2013 10:55 PM
tigers311 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Truth
Tonight's win
Refuse to lose
01-22-2013 11:00 PM
JacobSmiley Offline
Banned

I Root For: TigerPonies
It's a win at home. Have to have those. It's sizing up to be a Memphis USM showdown. We can't afford to drop any prior to that.
01-22-2013 11:01 PM
JacobSmiley Offline
Banned

I Root For: TigerPonies
(01-22-2013 10:33 PM)dan o Wrote:  

So, they were down a man

Must have been shaving points.
01-22-2013 11:02 PM
Advertisement

83msu Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS!
(01-22-2013 10:55 PM)yankeetiger Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 10:11 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  Tulane is a darn decent team. We knew that coming in.

That being said, it was great to see us come back, but let Josh sell the fantasy about teams in our conference being good...they are ALL terrible.

Posts like this irritate me no end. WHAT do you expect him to say? And you play the hand you are given. We cannot control how bad or good teams are. The destiny we control is that of the Memphis TIGERS!!
01-22-2013 11:14 PM
yankeetiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-22-2013 11:14 PM)83msu Wrote:  

Posts like this irritate me no end. WHAT do you expect him to say? And you play the hand you are given. We cannot control how bad or good teams are. The destiny we control is that of the Memphis TIGERS!!

What annoys me is posts where anyone implies that any CUSA team is decent or good, they are not, they are all terrible. That's what I was responding to.

All we can do is win, which we did, but we don't have the luxury of losing to ANY team in our conference or we face the real possibility of needing the tournament...once again...to ensure an NCAA tournament berth.
01-22-2013 11:32 PM
presskh Offline
Heisman

Tulane also beat Alabama at Alabama, which Kentucky did not. Tulane is a pretty good team and this was a good win.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 06:49 AM by presskh.)
01-23-2013 06:48 AM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Fredo preached constantly about how hard it was to win in C-USA; how going undefeated in any conference was "impossible", etc. Yet that was embraced by the fans, the media, and the NCAA seeding committee.

Pastner does the same thing and fans chide him for it.

MEMPHIS > Tulane > Alabama > Kentucky. Do the math.

15-3. On to Marshall this Saturday.
01-23-2013 07:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.