Open TigerLinks

Big East Swung for the fences with ESPN
Bookmark and Share
madtiger Offline
Hoops Hater, Shill, and Pro Boot Licker

I Root For: Memphis
Big East Swung for the fences with ESPN
01-08-2013 06:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: Big East Swung for the fences with ESPN
Sources
01-08-2013 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Big East had to give Espn a final number, so I have no problem with that.
01-08-2013 07:07 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
Big East didn't want to sign with ESPN, why the hell would they give them a number they might agree to?
01-08-2013 07:11 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(01-08-2013 07:07 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Big East had to give Espn a final number, so I have no problem with that.

I only wish that Aresco had held his little finger up to his mouth ala Dr. Evil and told them "one billion dollars per year."
01-08-2013 07:14 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(01-08-2013 07:11 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Big East didn't want to sign with ESPN, why the hell would they give them a number they might agree to?

The Big East would sign the best deal they could negotiate. It's business, not personal.
01-08-2013 08:15 PM
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2013 08:15 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 07:11 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  Big East didn't want to sign with ESPN, why the hell would they give them a number they might agree to?

The Big East would sign the best deal they could negotiate. It's business, not personal.

I totally agree the Big East had no problem with ESPN as long as the money was right .. In fact a good business man would give ESPN a sligh discount due to their power ..

Also --If this number is true then the "never seen two sides so far apart" statement makes a lot of sense .. I seem to remember a rumor that the Big East was asking for $100 million ... $300 million04-jawdrop???

If this is true, and ESPN had a decent offer on the table, then the Commish is in trouble
01-08-2013 08:19 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Wonder which side leaked that number?
01-08-2013 08:23 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2013 08:23 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Wonder which side leaked that number?

you know damn well it was not the BE ...
01-08-2013 08:24 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Yeah...They didn't negotiate honestly with ESPN and ESPN cut their legs out immediately afterwards...

You can't tell me they didn't tamper with the BE7 bball schools...They knew how much money they would get before they left.
01-08-2013 08:32 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2013 08:24 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 08:23 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Wonder which side leaked that number?

you know damn well it was not the BE ...

Yes I know ---- and the point seems to be to embarrass certain folks. What other motivation could it be?
01-08-2013 08:36 PM
Advertisement

EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
Seeing as how football drives the bus, the nBE should still be able to get more than the C7's new league
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 08:39 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
01-08-2013 08:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-08-2013 06:19 PM)madtiger Wrote:  nBE wanted $300 MILLION PER YEAR

LOL

Why 'funny'? It doesn't matter what the Big East asked for since this was the exclusive period. Heck, I'd ask for 300 million too if I wanted to get to open bargaining where I know I can get fair market. Good grief this is HUGE *no news*.
01-08-2013 09:17 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(01-08-2013 07:14 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 07:07 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Big East had to give Espn a final number, so I have no problem with that.

I only wish that Aresco had held his little finger up to his mouth ala Dr. Evil and told them "one billion dollars per year."

03-lmfao
01-08-2013 09:27 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(01-08-2013 08:32 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Yeah...They didn't negotiate honestly with ESPN and ESPN cut their legs out immediately afterwards...

You can't tell me they didn't tamper with the BE7 bball schools...They knew how much money they would get before they left.

Really? Everybody and their brother knows how much the Big East screwed up this deal. They had an offer of $11 million/school for football members. I believe the number was $1.7 for basketball schools. I believe the total was just upward of $90 million per year.

Fast forward to today. The best of the conference have moved on. Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers gone. The Big East signed TCU, gone. The basketball schools, knowing the urgency of the situation, went along with SMU, Houston, and UCF. The only program that added value to the Big East basketball brand was Memphis. The addition of Tulane was the last straw. The Big East which was arguably the best basketball conference, was now diluted with several teams that are cellar dwellar C-USA teams.

Knowing that this contract was losing value fast, they decided to see what the market would bring for their non-football conference. I've seen the article that mentions a $500 million possibility (around $4-5 million/year). I doubt they will find that type of success, but if they only got half of that amount it would probably triple what they would get from the Big East contract.

I believe the Big East formula went as follows:

Total contract X .70 = The amount split by all sports teams
Total contract X .30 = The amount split by all members (including football members)

So if the nBE contract goes for $40 million/year, they get to split up a whopping $12 million between 18 or so schools. This equals about $667,000 per year.

It isn't a big conspiracy, again, it's just business. They looked out to the market and found their value was more than they could make in the nBE. Plus they don't have to travel to Houston, Dallas, Tampa, etc. Financially it was a no-brainer. Look for them to add teams like Xavier and Butler.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 09:28 PM by memtiger1987.)
01-08-2013 09:27 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2013 09:17 PM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 06:19 PM)madtiger Wrote:  nBE wanted $300 MILLION PER YEAR

LOL

Why 'funny'? It doesn't matter what the Big East asked for since this was the exclusive period. Heck, I'd ask for 300 million too if I wanted to get to open bargaining where I know I can get fair market. Good grief this is HUGE *no news*.

Right -- with all of the new sports networks (FOX, NBC) you bring your product to the open market. No way you know your true value proir to that.
01-08-2013 09:36 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-08-2013 09:27 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 08:32 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Yeah...They didn't negotiate honestly with ESPN and ESPN cut their legs out immediately afterwards...

Really? Everybody and their brother knows how much the Big East screwed up this deal. They had an offer of $11 million/school for football members. I believe the number was $1.7 for basketball schools. I believe the total was just upward of $90 million per year.

Fast forward to today. The best of the conference have moved on. Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Rutgers gone. The Big East signed TCU, gone. The basketball schools, knowing the urgency of the situation, went along with SMU, Houston, and UCF. The only program that added value to the Big East basketball brand was Memphis. The addition of Tulane was the last straw. The Big East which was arguably the best basketball conference, was now diluted with several teams that are cellar dwellar C-USA teams.

Knowing that this contract was losing value fast, they decided to see what the market would bring for their non-football conference. I've seen the article that mentions a $500 million possibility (around $4-5 million/year). I doubt they will find that type of success, but if they only got half of that amount it would probably triple what they would get from the Big East contract.

Total contract X .30 = The amount split by all members (including football members)

So if the nBE contract goes for $40 million/year, they get to split up a whopping $12 million between 18 or so schools. This equals about $667,000 per year.

It isn't a big conspiracy, again, it's just business. They looked out to the market and found their value was more than they could make in the nBE. Plus they don't have to travel to Houston, Dallas, Tampa, etc. Financially it was a no-brainer. Look for them to add teams like Xavier and Butler.

I think ESPN kind of initiated the talks with the C7...Easy to leave when you have already have an idea what you will get. I think they saw beforehand that they would get more if they left.
01-08-2013 09:45 PM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS
You can only be high in price once. Then you have to negotiate.
01-08-2013 09:45 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(01-08-2013 09:45 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 09:27 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

I think ESPN kind of initiated the talks with the C7...Easy to leave when you have already have an idea what you will get. I think they saw beforehand that they would get more if they left.

Quite possible, however their reported $500 million deal is with Fox.

I agree that the Big East football does little for ESPN. There isn't a lot of interest in the games. They'd rather see UCONN and Cinci split and leave C-USA 2 for CSS.
01-08-2013 10:03 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(01-08-2013 08:15 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  

No one said it was personal, the Presidents wanted to go to the open market, that's never been a secret. That's smart business when you are the only commodity on the market and six networks are talking to you. Taking the ESPN offer would have been extremely amateurish at that stage.

Also, folks are forgetting the conference was "stable" at the time, no one was expecting a move by the other conferences, the C7 were still in the conference as was Louisville and Rutgers. Things were looking good and the BE was expecting to hit the $230M-250M range, hopefully higher. Looks a bit absurd now, but it was just high enough for ESPN to pass and the BE to hit the open market like they wanted.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 10:56 PM by Lord2FLI.)
01-08-2013 10:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.