Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C7 to Make 3 Mil
Bookmark and Share
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
C7 to Make 3 Mil
Pete Thamel reporting that we can make between 2 and 3 million and 3 is looking more likely than 2. The kicker is who he says will be paying us...FOX!!!!

Everyone, myself included thought that ESPN had it's fingerprints all over this move and apparently it wasn't them but Fox! Looks like Murdoch is using the same formula that ESPN used when they started. Load up on Big East BBall and use that as a bedrock to get folks to tune in to your new channel.

He also says that Butler and Xavier are definite and Creighton and Dayton are near definite. He says the last spot is between St. Louis and VCU.

We could start play next season but things need to move quick for that.

http://m.si.com/627787/whats-next-for-ca...-big-east/
12-22-2012 12:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

College Basketball Fan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: D1 Basketball
RE: C7 to Make 3 Mil
If those are your candidates, I'd take Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Dayton, and VCU.
12-22-2012 12:46 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(12-22-2012 12:46 AM)College Basketball Fan Wrote:  If those are your candidates, I'd take Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Dayton, and VCU.

I agree. Nothing against St. Louis but VCU really excites me.
12-22-2012 12:48 AM
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
From the Thamel article, a couple of comments...
- 10 teams round robin results in 90 total conference games, right (10 teams with 9 home games each)?
- 12 teams, 2 divisions, results in 96 games (12 teams with 8 home games each).
- This means only 6 games are added to inventory when comparing 10 to 12 teams. But among the lost games are second games between Georgetown vs Marquette, GU vs Butler, GU vs Xavier; Villanova vs those three; loss of western teams visiting NYC every year; loss of easterns visiting Chicago each year; basically it would remove 2 total games from each schools' schedule (10 teams allows 18 games, 12 would cut that to 16 games). Not meaning to be critical, not sure what the best strategy is, but just trying to understand the numbers correctly.
- As a general note, Thamel compares Saint Louis' facilities in a bad way, yet I thought the appeal of SLU was their new arena and facilities upgades.
- Each of the candidates for 10, 11 and 12 are great.
12-22-2012 01:15 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(12-22-2012 01:15 AM)billyjack Wrote:  From the Thamel article, a couple of comments...
- 10 teams round robin results in 90 total conference games, right (10 teams with 9 home games each)?
- This means only 6 games are added to inventory when comparing 10 to 12 teams. But among the lost games are second games between Georgetown vs Marquette, GU vs Butler, GU vs Xavier; Villanova vs those three; loss of western teams visiting NYC every year; loss of easterns visiting Chicago each year; basically it would remove 2 total games from each schools' schedule (10 teams allows 18 games, 12 would cut that to 16 games). Not meaning to be critical, not sure what the best strategy is, but just trying to understand the numbers correctly.
- As a general note, Thamel compares Saint Louis' facilities in a bad way, yet I thought the appeal of SLU was their new arena and facilities upgades.

Uh how do you come up with 6 games with 2 extra schools? The 11 others would play them 1 to 2 times a year.
12-22-2012 01:28 AM
2nd String

(12-22-2012 01:15 AM)billyjack Wrote:  - Each of the candidates for 10, 11 and 12 are great.

I think you can make an argument for up to 14 good candidates. Personally, if I were the conference I'd pick up Xavier, Butler, and VCU to begin with and go with a 10 team round-robin schedule.

Wait two to three years, and see what type of product you have. Saint Louis could decline without Majerus, Creighton could be bad without McDermott, Dayton's metro area could merge with Cincinnati, etc. Basically, waiting lets the conference see what other options are available without making a decision that could cost the conference.

If you need more media markets, then you consider teams that increase your market (Dayton with the market merge, Saint Louis, Richmond/VCU, Duquesne).

Alternatively, if the basketball product is not where it needs to be, you really just pick the best available teams at that point. It would surprise me if VCU and Wichita State aren't those teams.
12-22-2012 01:33 AM
Advertisement

billyjack Offline
1st String

I'm thinking a 12 team league would have a 16 game schedule.
While a 10 team league would have an 18 game schedule.
With a 16 game schedule, each team gets 8 home games.
So the 12 teams times 8 home games each is 96 available Big East games.
The 10 teams times 9 home games each is 90 available Big East games.
12-22-2012 01:38 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(12-22-2012 01:38 AM)billyjack Wrote:  I'm thinking a 12 team league would have a 16 game schedule.

But you're forgetting OOC games. All home OOC games are property of the home teams TV partner. You'd be adding more content and an extra day for the conference tournament.

If the TV execs want 12 we give them 12.
12-22-2012 01:41 AM
TheRock Offline
Fresh off PUP list

I Root For: SHU
Re: RE: C7 to Make 3 Mil
(12-22-2012 12:44 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Pete Thamel reporting that we can make between 2 and 3 million and 3 is looking more likely than 2. The kicker is who he says will be paying us...FOX!!!!

Everyone, myself included thought that ESPN had it's fingerprints all over this move and apparently it wasn't them but Fox! Looks like Murdoch is using the same formula that ESPN used when they started. Load up on Big East BBall and use that as a bedrock to get folks to tune in to your new channel.

He also says that Butler and Xavier are definite and Creighton and Dayton are near definite. He says the last spot is between St. Louis and VCU.

We could start play next season but things need to move quick for that.

http://m.si.com/627787/whats-next-for-ca...-big-east/

Helluva read!
12-22-2012 01:43 AM
2nd String

(12-22-2012 01:41 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  But you're forgetting OOC games. All home OOC games are property of the home teams TV partner. You'd be adding more content and an extra day for the conference tournament.

What is the breakdown at each level of team membership? IE, 10 vs 12 vs 14 vs 16. I've been looking for it, but haven't had any luck.
12-22-2012 01:44 AM
billyjack Offline
1st String

(12-22-2012 01:41 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 01:38 AM)billyjack Wrote:  I'm thinking a 12 team league would have a 16 game schedule.

But you're forgetting OOC games. All home OOC games are property of the home teams TV partner. You'd be adding more content and an extra day for the conference tournament.

Oh, ok, good point. I thought just in terms of Big East vs Big East matchups. Thamel used 216 games... so he's thinking 216 / 12 teams equals 18 total home games on average for each of the 12 teams...
12-22-2012 01:52 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(12-22-2012 01:52 AM)billyjack Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 01:41 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Oh, ok, good point. I thought just in terms of Big East vs Big East matchups. Thamel used 216 games... so he's thinking 216 / 12 teams equals 18 total home games on average for each of the 12 teams...

Well he prob just thought 12 teams and 18 game schedule.
12-22-2012 01:56 AM
SecureDaBall Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: City Ball
It would be ironic if once the dust settles the C7 teams make more per team/per year than what is left of the nBE football league?
12-22-2012 02:00 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(12-22-2012 02:00 AM)SecureDaBall Wrote:  It would be ironic if once the dust settles the C7 teams make more per team/per year than what is left of the nBE football league?

Looking to end up that way. I guess a top notch BBall league is worth more than a below average FB league.
12-22-2012 02:04 AM
BEast Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big East
I was hoping Dayton would be the team that's edged out. Love the money amount and it seems Fox wants us to be a pretty big part of their lineup so Im happy.
12-22-2012 02:09 AM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: upsets
(12-22-2012 01:15 AM)billyjack Wrote:  From the Thamel article, a couple of comments...

You don't have to lose "second games between Georgetown vs Marquette, GU vs Butler, GU vs Xavier; Villanova vs those three" or West/NYC; East/CHI.

There's no "rules" on how you set your conference schedule.

One division of 12 teams could...
-- play five teams both home and away, the other six once for 16 games.
OR
-- play seven teams both home and away and the other four once for 18 games.

You set some of rivalries to be annual home and home series; and place the rest differently each year based on the best TV matchups/equal recruiting presence.
12-22-2012 02:38 AM
Advertisement

Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(12-22-2012 01:33 AM)College Basketball Fan Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 01:15 AM)billyjack Wrote:  - Each of the candidates for 10, 11 and 12 are great.

I think you can make an argument for up to 14 good candidates. Personally, if I were the conference I'd pick up Xavier, Butler, and VCU to begin with and go with a 10 team round-robin schedule.

Wait two to three years, and see what type of product you have. Saint Louis could decline without Majerus, Creighton could be bad without McDermott, Dayton's metro area could merge with Cincinnati, etc. Basically, waiting lets the conference see what other options are available without making a decision that could cost the conference.

If you need more media markets, then you consider teams that increase your market (Dayton with the market merge, Saint Louis, Richmond/VCU, Duquesne).

Alternatively, if the basketball product is not where it needs to be, you really just pick the best available teams at that point. It would surprise me if VCU and Wichita State aren't those teams.

As for Creighton, of course we will probably take a step down when McDermott leaves, but if you include this year, we will have made the NCAA tournament 9 of 16 years (including 5 NIT's) so we've been good for a long time.
12-22-2012 08:37 AM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
The basketball schools would have gotten screwed in the Big East's TV deal.
12-22-2012 09:29 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
That would be a nice league.
12-22-2012 09:52 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(12-22-2012 09:29 AM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  The basketball schools would have gotten screwed in the Big East's TV deal.

We were set to make less than a mil if we stayed, and the FB schools wanted us to only get 30% of the contract!!!!!!!

The BBall school president a few months ago who said "why isn't the split the other way around?" is looking like a genius.
12-22-2012 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.