Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

1987 and 2012 (FB/Men's Hoops)
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
1987 and 2012 (FB/Men's Hoops)
Some may remember that back in 1987 EMU won the MAC FB title and went to a bowl game.

March, 1988 the men's basketball ball team went to the NCAAs and it laid the ground work for a tremendous era of Men's basketball ('1991, Sweet Sixteen; then NIT, 1994; and then 2 NCAA births including the win over Duke, 1996).

All of that happened 25 years ago.

I'm just wondering if 2012/2013, the 25th anniversary, is the year EMU FB and men's basketball shocks the MAC and plays in the MACC game at Ford Field and maybe makes the finals in CLE.

Reading through all of our posts, I believe the consensus is that both FB and men's hoops have very, very deep squads and appear to have enough experience and leadership to contend in both sports.

FB has as much talent as I can remember and men's hoops is literal 2-deep at each position with excellent talent transfusions brought about by coaches who are very good at assessing and recruiting talent.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2012 08:15 AM by emu steve.)
08-21-2012 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

RE: 1987 and 2012 (FB/Men's Hoops)
For those without super memories or access to a FB yearbook or not looking it up on the EMUEagles.com website:

The 1986 FB team had a 6 - 5 record (11 games was the NCAA rule back then) and 4 - 4 in the MAC.

Fast forward 25 years and the '11 team was 6 - 6 and 4 - 4.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
08-21-2012 09:06 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
As I was not even alive during the 1987 season (I came into this world a year later), I can't really comment on it, but I think this year's football and basketball teams both have potential to be successful.

As you said Steve, the position depth that both teams have is something we haven't seen here in a while (certainly not in my tenure at school). We have the reigning MAC coaches of the year leading the squads as well. Expectations are high from the fan base, as it appears we are all expecting a postseason birth in both sports, which is a rare prediction around here.

I'm excited! And we are only 9 days away from the beginning of a highly anticipated year.
08-21-2012 09:57 AM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
And to add to the irony...
After the PSU vacation of victories...
Weren't we really 6-5?
08-21-2012 02:44 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(08-21-2012 02:44 PM)KPJ Wrote:  And to add to the irony...
After the PSU vacation of victories...
Weren't we really 6-5?

Cmadler would disagree with you.

PSU had the game win vacated. We do not get credit for a win.

This, of course, screws up stats as the game had one loser and no winner. 01-wingedeagle
08-21-2012 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.