Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Civil War discussion
Bookmark and Share
Glassonion Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: AppState
Civil War discussion
(07-30-2012 11:35 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Nashville has recently added a TON of folks from the Northeast, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, etc, but will ALWAYS be Southern (and proud of it).

I'm still trying to figure out what that sophisticated "non-Southern" lady said in Asheville with her thick Southern drawl, which I loved.

Nashville is anchored to the South by their culture, music and history.

The Government has pretty much decimated North Carolina's history. We were a HUGE textile, furniture and Tobacco state. Textiles were run off to Asia along with furniture, and Tobacco has been crushed by taxes and lawsuits. Places like Asheville, Boone, etc have a huge out of state population, particularly by season. In the winter, you'll see just as many Florida license plates in Boone as NC plates, and in summer, you'll see 10% of the cotton and tobacco you'd have seen in the 70s and 80s.

If you want to see "Southern NC" you've got to go to the small towns.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 11:46 AM by Glassonion.)
07-30-2012 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
RE: MWC eyeing TX ST?
(07-30-2012 11:45 AM)Glassonion Wrote:  
(07-30-2012 11:35 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Nashville has recently added a TON of folks from the Northeast, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, etc, but will ALWAYS be Southern (and proud of it).

I'm still trying to figure out what that sophisticated "non-Southern" lady said in Asheville with her thick Southern drawl, which I loved.

Nashville is anchored to the South by their culture, music and history.

The Government has pretty much decimated North Carolina's history. We were a HUGE textile, furniture and Tobacco state. Textiles were run off to Asia along with furniture, and Tobacco has been crushed by taxes and lawsuits. Places like Asheville, Boone, etc have a huge out of state population, particularly by season. In the winter, you'll see just as many Florida license plates in Boone as NC plates, and in summer, you'll see 10% of the cotton and tobacco you'd have seen in the 70s and 80s.

If you want to see "Southern NC" you've got to go to the small towns.

Now Boone is not Southern ? 03-lmfao

I have been to Boone many a time. Newsflash-- you are Southern.

Do Mount Pilot residents now have Jersey accents.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 12:03 PM by KAjunRaider.)
07-30-2012 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-30-2012 10:53 AM)cajunhawk Wrote:  No family should be proud of their confederate tradition. It was a stain on America and should be looked upon as such. It's like flying a Nazi flag in Germany and being proud of it. I may be from the south but I live by this mantra..."Cajun by birth, Southern because that's where they decided to dump us."

CajunHawk, war is not entirely a moral act regardless of the cause including slavery. For many people like yourself, the Civil War is simplistically viewed in black and white. Keep in mind that the Civil War was predominately fought on southern soil and by non slave owners. To many southern people, they were fighting for a way of life and independent thinking. Watching many of their towns and cities come under siege during military battle; having medical supplies cut off from ordinary citizens and watching thousands die from disease outbreaks like Small Pox, Malaria and Yellow Fever only embolden the common folk to fight even more. Northern armies raided local farms and villages, taking everything from live stock, poultry and crops from ordinary citizens. Often leaving the families behind to starve with no economic means to survive and to those people the call to duty to defend family and property was a noble cause.

And I would be very careful in comparing southerners to “Nazis” when in fact our sitting president at the time Abraham Lincoln had little regard for the civil rights of dissenting Americans in the North. It was Lincoln that waived Habeas Corpus and Posse Comitatus allowing the arrest of thousands of anti-war dissenters and shutting down newspapers in the north. It was also Lincoln that was willing to negotiate to allow slavery to continue in the south in order to preserve the Union.

While no one is suggesting fighting for slavery was a noble cause, defending family and property from a brutal enemy was indeed to many southerners a righteous cause. Sadly the Civil War will continue to be the most divisive event ever to take place on American soil because of the ignorance of many on both sides of the debate. Southerners have a unique view because many stories of the Civil War were handed down from generation to generation; those stories are viewed through the prism of a war literally fought in their own back yards, watching the deaths of family and neighbors and eventually occupation under Marshall Law.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012 12:26 PM by CrazyCajun.)
07-30-2012 12:20 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
Good reply CrazyCajun.

My family had casualties on both sides of the war. I respect that both sides were fighting for what they believed in. Neither side of my family had slaves, so that was not a pressing issue for them.

FWIW....my mother's great uncle was believed to be the first soldier (Confederate) killed at Shiloh.
He was a private at the 1st Bull Run, and was promoted to Corporal afterwards. He was also involved in one other engagement, but it slips my mind at the moment.
07-30-2012 12:52 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(07-30-2012 12:52 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Good reply CrazyCajun.

My family had casualties on both sides of the war. I respect that both sides were fighting for what they believed in. Neither side of my family had slaves, so that was not a pressing issue for them.

FWIW....my mother's great uncle was believed to be the first soldier (Confederate) killed at Shiloh.
He was a private at the 1st Bull Run, and was promoted to Corporal afterwards. He was also involved in one other engagement, but it slips my mind at the moment.

[Image: stones-river.jpg]

[Image: JN11StonesRiverCemeteryPD.jpg]
07-30-2012 01:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.