Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Did the A-Sun replace Belmont with a better Belmont?
Bookmark and Share
BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
MyBB Did the A-Sun replace Belmont with a better Belmont?
[Image: mascotbanner.jpg]

NKU 77, West Virginia 74

Driving the lane . . . jacking-up 3's . . . and, yes, they dunked on WVU! This soon-to-be former D-II team is impressive, to say the least. Their spread-offense, ball movement, and cross-court passes are very Bruin-esque.
WATCH THIS VIDEO:

Game highlights, NKU at West Virginia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQL4Unjxt0

07-27-2012 03:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
RE: Did the A-Sun replace Belmont with a better Belmont?
(07-27-2012 03:07 PM)BucSinceTheSixties Wrote:  [Image: mascotbanner.jpg]

NKU 77, West Virginia 74

Driving the lane . . . jacking-up 3's . . . and, yes, they dunked on WVU! This soon-to-be former D-II team is impressive, to say the least. Their spread-offense, ball movement, and cross-court passes are very Bruin-esque.
WATCH THIS VIDEO:

Game highlights, NKU at West Virginia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyQL4Unjxt0

Northern Kentucky is in the ASun only as long as it takes to transition to Division I. Just another in a long list of 20+ schools who have used the ASun for this purpose. ETSU is the only school to use the ASun to transition down. That is one ugly fact. And, the man who was put in charge to handle this disgrace is still the AD at ETSU.
07-27-2012 04:56 PM
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

Then Belmont messed up..they moved down..they left for a basketball conference ranked lower than the Asun......... of course with Belmont the OVC could move up closer to the Asun making it more of a lateral move.....but they certainly didn't use the Asun as a step up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-27-2012 09:05 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(07-27-2012 09:05 PM)bucfan1968 Wrote:  Then Belmont messed up..they moved down..they left for a basketball conference ranked lower than the Asun......... of course with Belmont the OVC could move up closer to the Asun making it more of a lateral move.....but they certainly didn't use the Asun as a step up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your point about current conference ranking has merit and I don't want this to sound like a shot, but I believe Belmont did make a move up. The OVC has a better tradition, is a better fit for Belmont and is perceived historically as a better basketball conference. Belmont knew what they were doing when they joined the ASUN and they knew what they were doing when they left.
07-27-2012 10:48 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
The OVC had better teams up top than the A-Sun did last year, and with the addition of Belmont they will easily pass up the A-Sun and SoCon in RPI.
Northern Kentucky will have their growing pains but it won't take long until they find a home in the Missouri Valley, Summit or Horizon League.
Belmont made a move that upgrades them and the OVC. Even with a young team that could concievably be rebuilding, they'll see an attendance increase and an overall increase in their local coverage (104.5, 102.5, Tennessean, etc...) and interest. It was a good move.
07-31-2012 08:31 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

Again, ETSU is the ONLY school to ever use the ASun to transition down. When you are the ONLY state regional university in the nation to drop football in the last 20+ years and move to a non-football conference, you have transitioned DOWN. And, the AD who was put in charge to administer this move is STILL the AD today. That, my Buc friends, is our legacy.
07-31-2012 08:57 PM
Advertisement

Buc66 Offline
All American

(07-31-2012 08:57 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  Again, ETSU is the ONLY school to ever use the ASun to transition down. When you are the ONLY state regional university in the nation to drop football in the last 20+ years and move to a non-football conference, you have transitioned DOWN. And, the AD who was put in charge to administer this move is STILL the AD today. That, my Buc friends, is our legacy.

With this legacy, it's no wonder that the Buc fan base, both real and potential, is on its death bed.
07-31-2012 09:05 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

(07-31-2012 09:05 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(07-31-2012 08:57 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  Again, ETSU is the ONLY school to ever use the ASun to transition down. When you are the ONLY state regional university in the nation to drop football in the last 20+ years and move to a non-football conference, you have transitioned DOWN. And, the AD who was put in charge to administer this move is STILL the AD today. That, my Buc friends, is our legacy.

With this legacy, it's no wonder that the Buc fan base, both real and potential, is on its death bed.

Those who blame the fan base for being dead HAVE to realize why its dead. The fan base IS dead, moreso than ever, as I've referenced in the bball thread. The pro-ASUN-ers (you know, the same ones that call us the footballers), attack for non support and then turnaround and attack for being so vocal about the return of football. Which is it???? Not enough or too much? You're spot on 66, the reason the Dome is dead is because we chose to move down while everyone else is trying to move up.
07-31-2012 09:39 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

Seven months into the Noland administration and NO changes in the athletic department. Dave Mullins and staff are atill in place looking after the Stanton-Mullins athletic model, you know, the one that landed us where we are today. Did that new task force on athletics hold a meeting in July as promised?
08-01-2012 07:11 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Give it time guys. You've been around long enough to know that an outsider can't come in, ridin' and rompin' so to speak, and just start making wholesale changes to everything. He's playing the game very well, doing some things to make people happy, ie merchandising, the parking garage, the new fountain, campus improvements, etc...
Changes in athletics are typically the most visible and the ones that get the most attention, I'd rather Dr. Noland be VERY DELIBERATE and methodical when it comes to any potential changes/tweaks to athletics rather than making a bunch of snap decisions and a mistake happening. He's trying to unite the campus, not divide it even more. The need for having everyone happy, the pro-football folks and the folks that could care less about football. He needs both sides happy, and both sides giving money to accomplish what everyone who loves this university wants, growth.
08-01-2012 09:06 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-01-2012 09:06 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Give it time guys. You've been around long enough to know that an outsider can't come in, ridin' and rompin' so to speak, and just start making wholesale changes to everything. He's playing the game very well, doing some things to make people happy, ie merchandising, the parking garage, the new fountain, campus improvements, etc...
Changes in athletics are typically the most visible and the ones that get the most attention, I'd rather Dr. Noland be VERY DELIBERATE and methodical when it comes to any potential changes/tweaks to athletics rather than making a bunch of snap decisions and a mistake happening. He's trying to unite the campus, not divide it even more. The need for having everyone happy, the pro-football folks and the folks that could care less about football. He needs both sides happy, and both sides giving money to accomplish what everyone who loves this university wants, growth.

I have tried to say the same thing, plus point out he has an entire University to run of which athletic is not the most important part.
But they continue to update us as to how long he has been on the job.
He started yesterday.. why didn't he fire Mullins.. it has been a week.. what is waiting on.. it been a Month.. oh my god he isn't going to change a thing.. IT HAS been 2 months.. HE IS JUST a F'N Stanton clone. 3 months.. etc.. it is like a broken record. Don't worry about all that budget or academic stuff, you know the stuff a Univesity is really supposed to be about FIX OUR athletics now!! 04-rock

PS we don't need new doctors for the rural areas like our Med school is well known for producing. We need football players, some of them wil be come phyicial therapists, thats close enough. Dump the Med school and put that money into a football team!!!
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2012 07:38 PM by RodShaw2.)
08-01-2012 10:32 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(08-01-2012 10:32 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(08-01-2012 09:06 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Give it time guys. You've been around long enough to know that an outsider can't come in, ridin' and rompin' so to speak, and just start making wholesale changes to everything. He's playing the game very well, doing some things to make people happy, ie merchandising, the parking garage, the new fountain, campus improvements, etc...

I have tried to say the same thing, plus point out he has an entire University to run of which athletic is not the most important part.
He started yesterday.. why didn't he fire Mullins.. it has been a week.. what is waiting on.. it been a Month.. oh my god he isn't going to change a thing.. IT HAS been 2 months.. HE IS JUST a F'N Stanton clone. 3 months.. etc.. it is like a broken record. Don't worry about all that budget or academic stuff, you know the stuff a Univesity is really supposed to be about FIX OUR athletics now!! 04-rock

PS we don't need new doctors for the rural areas like our Med school is well known for producing. We need football players, some of them wil be come phyicial therapists, thats close enough. Dump he Med school and put that money into a football team!!!

I want football back and have a disdain for Dave as much as the next guy, and how the money is being blown, I mean spent, but sh!t boys it's not an overnight fix! Even if he waves the magic ax and house gets cleaned, you have to have infrastructure in place or it ends up being chaos, which could have a very negative impact long term on the entire dept. And for me, I want it all, I want winning football, winning men's and women's basketball, and winning in all other sports. Winning breeds more winning, a culture of WE CAN AND WILL can be done. Just relax, everyone in off the ledge, hell make a few memes if you want and post them here.
It's a slow time, some good Condescending Wonkas, maybe a nice "One does not simply" guy or the crying girl would be therapeutic for ya.
And if all else fails we'll just start making fun of Kennesaw State again and it's location not in Atlanta. 03-nutkick04-cheersCOGS
08-01-2012 11:23 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(07-27-2012 10:48 PM)abuc90 Wrote:  
(07-27-2012 09:05 PM)bucfan1968 Wrote:  Then Belmont messed up..they moved down..they left for a basketball conference ranked lower than the Asun......... of course with Belmont the OVC could move up closer to the Asun making it more of a lateral move.....but they certainly didn't use the Asun as a step up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your point about current conference ranking has merit and I don't want this to sound like a shot, but I believe Belmont did make a move up. The OVC has a better tradition, is a better fit for Belmont and is perceived historically as a better basketball conference. Belmont knew what they were doing when they joined the ASUN and they knew what they were doing when they left.

While ETSU didn't know what it was doing when it joined the ASun and does not know what it's doing going forward.
08-01-2012 05:39 PM
LetsgoBucs Offline
Special Teams

(08-01-2012 11:23 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  

PS we don't need new doctors for the rural areas like our Med school is well known for producing. We need football players, some of them wil be come phyicial therapists, thats close enough. Dump he Med school and put that money into a football team!!!

I want football back and have a disdain for Dave as much as the next guy, and how the money is being blown, I mean spent, but **** boys it's not an overnight fix! Even if he waves the magic ax and house gets cleaned, you have to have infrastructure in place or it ends up being chaos, which could have a very negative impact long term on the entire dept. And for me, I want it all, I want winning football, winning men's and women's basketball, and winning in all other sports. Winning breeds more winning, a culture of WE CAN AND WILL can be done. Just relax, everyone in off the ledge, hell make a few memes if you want and post them here.
It's a slow time, some good Condescending Wonkas, maybe a nice "One does not simply" guy or the crying girl would be therapeutic for ya.
And if all else fails we'll just start making fun of Kennesaw State again and it's location not in Atlanta. 03-nutkick04-cheersCOGS

We agree on this one. It's not something that can happen quickly. For what it's worth, I've heard from several people that Nolad has been pretty active behind the scenes looking into athletics and asking a lot of questions about how things are currently done and why certain things aren't done differently. It sounds like athletics is definitely an issue he is going to address and from what I've heard he plans to drive toward significant change. I don't see Dave and Barbie lasting, because even if the were able to do a good job in their roles, I think they will resist any change that demands more out of them.
08-03-2012 09:44 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Ding ding ding! What do we have for him Johnny? A new A.D.! Of course Noland is asking questions, we all agree that the front porch is athletics, and the curb appeal isn't what it should be.
And my friend, you have hit on something I have thought all along about the football issue, as well as any other improvement/change that might require some actual effort is getting squashed. I think truthfully there will be a scenario where Dave exits gracefully, and Barbie gets reassigned, football or not.
08-03-2012 07:14 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(08-03-2012 09:44 AM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  

I want football back and have a disdain for Dave as much as the next guy, and how the money is being blown, I mean spent, but **** boys it's not an overnight fix! Even if he waves the magic ax and house gets cleaned, you have to have infrastructure in place or it ends up being chaos, which could have a very negative impact long term on the entire dept. And for me, I want it all, I want winning football, winning men's and women's basketball, and winning in all other sports. Winning breeds more winning, a culture of WE CAN AND WILL can be done. Just relax, everyone in off the ledge, hell make a few memes if you want and post them here.

We agree on this one. It's not something that can happen quickly. For what it's worth, I've heard from several people that Nolad has been pretty active behind the scenes looking into athletics and asking a lot of questions about how things are currently done and why certain things aren't done differently. It sounds like athletics is definitely an issue he is going to address and from what I've heard he plans to drive toward significant change. I don't see Dave and Barbie lasting, because even if the were able to do a good job in their roles, I think they will resist any change that demands more out of them.

Yes and remember we only want what is the best possible future for ETSU. Plain and simple we want what is best for ETSU and we think Dr. Noland is seeing that it can be improved greatly in the next few years and we are here to try and help all we can.
08-03-2012 09:17 PM
Advertisement

BucSinceTheSixties Away
Special Teams

I Root For: Bucs
What have I been telling you people about this NKU?!?!?!?! They're already beating us!!! Victor E. Viking? Seriously??? What about Bucky E. Buccaneer? Next thing you know, Victor will be on ESPN's Sports Center and we'll be discussing how Mullins ruined our mascot!

(All tongue-in-cheek here . . . I'm not really all that riled-up over this.)

Copied from A-Sun site:

Victor E. Viking Voted A-Sun's Most Valuable Mascot

Friday, August 03, 2012

After receiving the most votes in the opening round and semifinals, Northern Kentucky's Victor E. Viking defeated North Florida's Ozzie the Osprey to claim the title of the
A-Sun's Most Valuable Mascot.

With 2,384 votes in the final round, Victor E. edged out Ozzie (1,471 votes) to earn the distinction. The two mascots amassed the high fan vote total in only a 24-hour span.

[Image: 50301_117489711948_466067106_n.jpg]
08-04-2012 01:04 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(08-03-2012 09:44 AM)LetsgoBucs Wrote:  

What have you heard about the first meeting of the new task force on athletics that was held in July? Who is serving on this committee?
08-04-2012 07:42 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

PS we don't need new doctors for the rural areas like our Med school is well known for producing. We need football players, some of them wil be come phyicial therapists, thats close enough. Dump the Med school and put that money into a football team!!!

Hyperbole Rod, hyperbole. That's what helps keep this board jacked up and interesting ........
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 02:34 PM by Buc66.)
08-04-2012 01:35 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I personally haven't heard any scuttle, but if it's like typical first time committee meetings they probably did some sort of formal introduction then split up into subcommittees. Nothing really fun.
08-04-2012 07:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.