Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Reds - Monday
Reds report: Arroyo expects velocity to return

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20120219&...ity-return]
The Enquirer/Michael E. Keating
Reds starter Bronson Arroyo throws during a fielding drill on Sunday in Goodyear, Ariz.

Written by
John Fay

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Bronson Arroyo thinks his velocity will be back.

"The ball feels better coming out of my hand in long toss," he said. "Off the mound, it's a little harder to tell. But as far as long toss, I'm definitely feeling better. This is as healthy as I've been in a long time. My arm's always been healthy. But my back's been banged up for years. I think that's affected flexibility.

"I'm as healthy and flexible as I've been in a lot of years."

Arroyo, of course, is coming off a disaster of a year. He went 9-12 with a 5.07 ERA. He made 32 starts. But he dealt with mono for much of the early season and a sore back in the middle part.

He altered his offseason program to try to become more flexible in the hips and lower back. He's always been big on nutrition and supplements, but he took the further step of preparing all his own food. All this was to try to add to his velocity.

"I think it will come back," he said.

If it doesn't, it's very bad news for the Reds and Arroyo.

"If I'm throwing, 85, 86 like I did last year," he said, "I've got nothing else to give it. I gave myself this entire offseason to try to rejuvenate some of that zip. If it's not there, it's not going to be there. Between now and mid-spring, I should be able to see -- by the time I throw three, four innings."

MEET DONALD LUTZ

It's safe to say that Donald Lutz's story is unique among the 58 players in Reds camp. Lutz's first language is German. He didn't start playing baseball until he was 15.

Lutz, 23-year-old left-handed hitting outfielder, was born in the Watertown, N.Y., but he moved to Regensburg, Germany as a 1-year-old. His father was in the U.S. Army; his mother is German.

"I played hockey when I was younger," he said. "But my older brother started playing baseball. He said I shoulder try it. I did and really liked it."

Both Lutz and brother Sascha are members of the German National Team.

The Reds saw Lutz playing at a showcase in Italy in 2007 and signed him. He hit .301 with 20 home runs and 75 RBI in 123 games last year for Dayton. He hit .340 over the second half of the season with 51 RBI in 63 games.

He was added to 40-man in November.

"He's really good," said Bill Bavasi, the club's director of scouting, player development and international operations. "He's a guy to watch."

NUMBER OF THE DAY

7 That's the number of pitchers 6-foot-5 or taller in camp -- Andrew Brackman (6-10), Mat Latos (6-6), Ryan Madson (6-6), Sean Marshall (6-7), Logan Ondrusek (6-8), Jeff Francis (6-5) and Chad Reineke (6-6). Bronson Arroyo, Aroldis Chapman, Josh Judy, Kyle Lotzkar, Nick Masset, Jordan Smith, Carlos Fisher and Brett Tomko are 6-4.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Last year, we way up in the top in hitting and near the top in fielding. Our pitching we thought was going to be better than it was. We lost Homer (Bailey) for a couple of months. He lost (Johnny) Cueto or a couple of months. He lost Bronson (Arroyo) for least a couple of months because of his illness. That's big right there. We just get those guys back with the additions, too."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...ter-sports

02-20-2012 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
RE: Reds - Monday
Notes: Cueto will start opener, Valaika 100 percent, Francisco hurting
02/20/12 at 11:31am by jfay

Some early-morning notes:

–Dusty Baker confirmed what he’s said this winter: Johnny Cueto will start Opening Day.

Cueto deserves the nod based on last year, but more goes into the decision than that.

“It’s how you want to have to match them up during the season,” Baker said. “I know how important Opening Day is in Cincinnati. It’s more important in Cincinnati than any place I’ve been. But then you have them matching up with No. 1s the rest of the year.

“If you’re just going on veteran status, it would be Bronson (Arroyo). But I think Bronson is better down in the rotation. When you start taking about matching up with No. 1 and 2s, it’s our best interest for you to have a low ERA. If you run a guy out there with 4.40 ERA matched up with a guy with 2.30 ERA, you might win a few but you’re going to lose most.”

Cueto had that low ERA last year — 2.31 — but he was limited to 24 starts by injuries. Baker thinks Cueto can stay healthy.

“He never had a problem making his starts before,” Baker said. “He started off missing time out of spring training. I’ve always said when you start the year hurt it makes for a long year. He started the season hurt and ended the season hurting.”

Cueto opened the year on the disabled list with irritation in right biceps and triceps. He ended the year shut down by a strained lat muscle.

He made 31, 30 and 31 starts his first three years in the majors. Cueto has lowered his ERA each of his four years in the majors, going from 4.81 to 4.41 to 3.64 to 2.31. Baker said the first priority is to keep Cueto healthy in Goodyear.

“The key is to get him out of spring training,” Baker said. “Then you still don’t know if he can maintain that over 30 starts. Some of best years I’ve seen from guys — hitters and pitchers — is guys who end up missing time and stay strong most of the year.”

Cueto, despite his slightly pudgy build, is among the hard workers on the club. He runs the steps of the stadium every day.

“He works hard,” Baker said. “He stays in shape.”

Cueto says he feels great.

“Everything is good,” Cueto said. “My arm feels good.”

–Chris Valaika is 100 percent after Sept. 19 surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

“I’m all healed up and ready to go,” Valaika said. “I’ve felt 100 percent the last three weeks or so. Once I started full baseball activities, I started getting confident in it. It’s a long healing process. It takes a while for everything to fuse. But it’s good now.”

Valaika spent most of last year at Triple-A. He hit .280 in 14 games with the Reds before suffering the injury on Sept. 11.

–Juan Francisco dealing with his left calf that put him the disabled list for month last year.

“He was in getting treatment this morning,” Baker said.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/02...o-hurting/

02-20-2012 01:05 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
I don't know how to feel about Arroyo. If he's returns to form with his velocity, great. If not, I'm not sure we can count on him as our 5th starter and we might just have to bite the bullet on his contract and release him. It's probably too optimistic, but maybe the plan is see how he looks early in spring training. Per Arroyo, they should have a pretty good idea pretty quickly. If he's a no-go, have Oswalt on speed dial and pray he's still available...

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2012 02:34 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
02-20-2012 02:33 PM
Advertisement

bearcatjim Offline
Exquisitely Aware

I Root For: Quartinos
Donators
I'm with you. I'd get Oswalt now and release Arroyo if I were them. Cueto, Latos, Oswalt at the front of the rotation is strong !

Problem is its not like football. Arroyo's contract $ is already spent.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2012 08:27 PM by bearcatjim.)
02-20-2012 08:26 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Jocketty: Nothing new on Oswalt, Phillips
02/20/12 at 2:21pm by jfay

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said there is nothing new to report on the two favorite offseason topics: Roy Oswalt and talks with Brandon Phillips about a contract extension.

On Oswalt: “I’m not even considering it.”

On Phillips: “I don’t when his agents get out here (to Arizona), but we plan to sit down and meet with them.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/02...-phillips/

02-20-2012 10:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.