Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2012 MAC FB Commits
Bookmark and Share
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
2012 MAC FB Commits
The Chips seem to be leading the way with 7 instate verbals. I wondered how it's going with the rest of the Conference?
06-07-2011 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies
RE: 2012 MAC FB Commits
Technically, five are from in-state, and two others are from Chicago.
06-07-2011 02:48 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Temple:

Washington, D.C. QB Ben Onett 6'3 215 4.64 40
Philadelphia, PA RB/CB Brandon Peoples 5'10 180 4.5 40
Norristown, PA CB Brandon Shippen 5'10 170 4.49 40
Stafford, VA CB/S Daquan Stewart 5'10 170 ~4.5 40
06-07-2011 10:06 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
Akron's staff's preferred recruiting "strategy" is to only offer prospects with multiple existing BCS offers. Consequently we have no commitments yet.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2011 07:59 PM by uakronkid.)
06-09-2011 07:58 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-09-2011 07:58 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  Akron's staff's preferred recruiting "strategy" is to only offer prospects with multiple existing BCS offers. Consequently we have no commitments yet.

Same with us. It seems like we went from Golden only offering a couple top recruits, to Addazio who offers significantly more. We've offered a 5 star recruit and at least 6 4 star recruits. We've seemingly offered every remotely fringe BCS recruit in Florida, which is 18 kids. I kind of like the strategy of expanding our footprint to Florida and places like Indiana and Ohio, but I dont know how many of these kids we can get.
06-10-2011 12:17 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
(06-10-2011 12:17 AM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(06-09-2011 07:58 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  Akron's staff's preferred recruiting "strategy" is to only offer prospects with multiple existing BCS offers. Consequently we have no commitments yet.

Same with us. It seems like we went from Golden only offering a couple top recruits, to Addazio who offers significantly more. We've offered a 5 star recruit and at least 6 4 star recruits. We've seemingly offered every remotely fringe BCS recruit in Florida, which is 18 kids. I kind of like the strategy of expanding our footprint to Florida and places like Indiana and Ohio, but I dont know how many of these kids we can get.

Toledo did the same thing last year and again this year. It worked out pretty well last year for Toledo as we gained several top commitments that had multiple BCS offers. The question is whether or not it will work again this year. At the least, at least those coaching staffs are trying to get top notch players.
06-10-2011 07:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I would think Temple would be a pretty attractive place to play for a kid from Florida.

Coach Solich has said during Bobcat Caravans that a lot of recruits in the state simply want nothing to do with a school that is not located in a big city. Philly is probably the most big city environment that a kid can play in at the FBS level.
06-10-2011 08:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2011 07:07 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  

Toledo did the same thing last year and again this year. It worked out pretty well last year for Toledo as we gained several top commitments that had multiple BCS offers. The question is whether or not it will work again this year. At the least, at least those coaching staffs are trying to get top notch players.

I didn't mean non-qualifiers.

(06-10-2011 08:03 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

I would think Temple would be a pretty attractive place to play for a kid from Florida.

Coach Solich has said during Bobcat Caravans that a lot of recruits in the state simply want nothing to do with a school that is not located in a big city. Philly is probably the most big city environment that a kid can play in at the FBS level.

Absolutely, but the problem is that we seem to target kids who are beyond what we can get. We're competing with schools like Iowa, UNC, South Carolina, BC, Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU, Arkansas, Tennessee, Maryland, Miami, Wisconsin, and UGA. If we could convince more than one of these kids to pass on those kinda schools for Temple, it would be a miracle. Just seems like a waste of time IMO.
06-10-2011 01:42 PM
victory engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: ']['emple
I know a NJ OL with Multiple offers and recetly several bigs, who is still considering Temple and will go to Addazio camp... So all hope is not lost on these guys... I would be shocked if he "Stays home" but who knows.
06-10-2011 02:29 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

That kind of recruiting usually happens when you hire a person who's never worked at a level below the BCS. They think that there's no reason they can't get the same kids they were getting before.

It's the BCS arrogance showing through, where they believe that the non-BCS aren't at a systemic disadvantage and any problem competeing is the fault of the program itself and that now that they are in charge they can change things.
06-10-2011 02:42 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2011 02:29 PM)victory engineer Wrote:  I know a NJ OL with Multiple offers and recetly several bigs, who is still considering Temple and will go to Addazio camp... So all hope is not lost on these guys... I would be shocked if he "Stays home" but who knows.

Hope it's Cashman, but pretty much zero chance we land him.
06-10-2011 03:45 PM
Advertisement

BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(06-10-2011 01:42 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

I didn't mean non-qualifiers either. Are you insinuating that Toledo went after a bunch of non-qualifiers?

Kids with multiple BCS offers that signed with Toledo and I can remember off the top of my head:

WR Alonzo Russell
WR Justin Olack
CB Chris Dukes
DL Andre Sturdivant
RB Antwan Gilbert

Last I heard, one of those kids is a question mark on being eligible this fall and the other four are fine.
06-10-2011 03:45 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-10-2011 03:45 PM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  

I didn't mean non-qualifiers either. Are you insinuating that Toledo went after a bunch of non-qualifiers?

Kids with multiple BCS offers that signed with Toledo and I can remember off the top of my head:

WR Alonzo Russell
WR Justin Olack
CB Chris Dukes
DL Andre Sturdivant
RB Antwan Gilbert

Last I heard, one of those kids is a question mark on being eligible this fall and the other four are fine.

I thought Toledo went after a lot of BCS non-qualifiers. Only one of those I know is Olack, who's a great kid.
06-10-2011 03:47 PM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
You cant get commitments from recruits you dont try after. I think all MAC schools should be trying for at least a handful of top recruits each year.
06-10-2011 03:48 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(06-10-2011 03:47 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 03:45 PM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 12:17 AM)JHG722 Wrote:  Same with us. It seems like we went from Golden only offering a couple top recruits, to Addazio who offers significantly more. We've offered a 5 star recruit and at least 6 4 star recruits. We've seemingly offered every remotely fringe BCS recruit in Florida, which is 18 kids. I kind of like the strategy of expanding our footprint to Florida and places like Indiana and Ohio, but I dont know how many of these kids we can get.

WR Alonzo Russell
WR Justin Olack
CB Chris Dukes
DL Andre Sturdivant
RB Antwan Gilbert

I thought Toledo went after a lot of BCS non-qualifiers. Only one of those I know is Olack, who's a great kid.

Well, here's the interesting part between what really happens and what is perceived here. These kids are being recruited and offered long before anyone knows if they are going to be a qualifier or not. Often, only a small number of very talented kids that don't have grade questions are still interested in MAC schools when there is only a couple of months left to signing day. So most of the very talented kids you hear about considering MAC schools late in the game are possible non-qualifiers (not all of them, but most of them). So then people post on message boards that Akron, Temple, Toledo, Central Michigan, etc are going after a bunch of non-qualfiers.......when the fact remains that they have been recruiting these kids for a few years.

I know for the 2011 recruiting class Toledo offered a lot of very talented prospects. Many were 4 star recruits and a few were 5 star recruits on the recruiting services. Most of those kids dropped Toledo from consideration by early fall of their senior season, if not before. Some didn't, and several of them were kids that had grade issues. Some of those Toledo just stopped recruiting because it became pretty apparent they would not qualify. Some were still questionable and were still recruited because why not recruit someone that might very well get eligible if you are comfortable with your ability to keep them eligible in college. And a few didn't have grade issues at all.

Beckman seems to know what he is doing at Toledo. We are finally over the APR cut for the 4 year period they use, and our most recent academic year APR score for the football team was the highest ever at the school. Last semester kids on the UT football team received 142 A's and 163 B's. That's basically a combination of either 2 A's and a B or 2 B's and an A for three of the four classes taken by each football student-athlete.

In 2010 many posters said that Toledo took kids that were never going to be eligible out of high school.......DE Jay Elliott, DT Elijah Jones, and WR James Green all come to mind. Not only were they all eligible, but they all played as true freshmen last year.
06-10-2011 04:06 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(06-10-2011 03:48 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  You cant get commitments from recruits you dont try after. I think all MAC schools should be trying for at least a handful of top recruits each year.

Having a handful of BCS-level recruits is nice. Having to fill the rest of the roster with FCS-level or unknown players because you forgot to go after solid MAC-level kids for the rest of the spots is not.
06-10-2011 04:07 PM
Advertisement

BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(06-10-2011 03:48 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  You cant get commitments from recruits you dont try after. I think all MAC schools should be trying for at least a handful of top recruits each year.

It's not really publicized, but I can guarantee you each MAC school has probably offered at least 10-15 kids at some point in their high school career that end up s 4 or 5 star recruits come their senior year. Most of those kids pass up the MAC school's offer long before their senior year though.
06-10-2011 04:08 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

Just to show you how many high level recruits Toledo is going after, if you go to UT's scout.com page for the 2011 prospect list, the entire first page is filled with kids that have offers and are either 4 or 3 star prospects, and more than half of the 2nd page is filled with 3 star prospects with offers.

Seeing that their senior year hasn't even started, it's hard to say how many of these kids will have grade questions, but a pretty good chunk of them won't have grade questions. It's just the perception that some might get though come December or January when there are only so many kids left on the board.
06-10-2011 04:16 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(06-10-2011 08:03 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

Come on now KC, you know as well as I that Athens Ohio is "the most big city environment that a kid can play in at the FBS level". I mean, you even have an international airport! 03-lmfao
06-11-2011 01:19 PM
gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:

strange strategy, Akron staff relies on the evaluation of BCS schools rather then their own. So, if they like a kid and he has no BCS offers, then they reject recruiting the kid?
06-14-2011 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.