Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shooting off Campus--FB player
Bookmark and Share
Monty Python Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Shooting off Campus--FB player
Devon Butler was the individual shot near Hillcrest & Aspen late tuesday night--
04-06-2011 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: Shooting off Campus--FB player
(04-06-2011 10:34 AM)Monty Python Wrote:  Devon Butler was the individual shot near Hillcrest & Aspen late tuesday night--

Quote:Shortly after midnight, DeKalb Fire Chief Bruce Harrison said that one person was transported from the scene of the incident to Kishwaukee Community Hospital in DeKalb with possible life-threatening injuries. Spangler said the male was shot once, but was not sure where on his body the man was hit. As of 1 a.m., Spangler said he was not sure of the status of the victim but said he was alive.

What the hell is going on in DeKalb?

Apparently there were also two shootings this weekend? Now this?
Quote:Spangler said there is no indication that Tuesday night's shooting was related to two reported shootings that happened over the weekend.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2011/04/0...b/apfc5ei/
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 10:39 AM by HuskieFan84.)
04-06-2011 10:39 AM
NIUHuskie4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU & WMU
Wow! Hope he is OK. It's this kind of stuff that's going to turn our campus and school into ****
04-06-2011 10:48 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

Prayers to the injured student.
04-06-2011 11:34 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I kind of figured it was Butler but didn't want to post earlier. Saw stuff on Spann and Womble's twitter this morning saying something along the lines of "saying a prayer for devon butler". Not good for the team and not something Doeren should have to deal with in April of his first year.
04-06-2011 11:36 AM
HUSKIEPRIDE2010 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: niu, iowa
I live right by where the shooting took place and actually heard the three shots go off... it's unbelievable, never thought it would of been a football player..
04-06-2011 11:49 AM
Advertisement

HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

This appears to be very serious. Prayers for Devon.

Quote:Shortly after midnight, DeKalb Fire Chief Bruce Harrison said that one person was transported from the scene of the incident to Kishwaukee Community Hospital in DeKalb with possible life-threatening injuries.

Kishwaukee Community Hospital confirmed late Wednesday morning that Butler had been treated at the DeKalb-based hospital, but said he was no longer a patient there. As of Wednesday morning, he is listed in critical condition at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center in Rockford.
04-06-2011 12:07 PM
blackhawk Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: huskies
Prayers to our Huskie.

WTF is going on in DK? Seriously.

I love my university and I'll stay loyal, but since I am addressing family here..this is NOT the NIU that was 20-30 years ago. We have regressed. The NIU student is not what it was. A very solid state school that had only U of I to look up to has been relegated to a lower rung.

WTF are we letting in? After the horrors of what happened last year and a few years earlier, we don't have much wiggle room to allow this cr-p to exist. Would you send your daughter to NIU right now?

We have had much banter about this before but all those that seem to think that we are regressing...you are right.

Again, I'll stay loyal, ALWAYS.. and the only reason I am this disgusted is b/c I care about my school and while I'll argue w/ those that aren't from the Huksie family in support of us, I do so contra to logic.
04-06-2011 12:10 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(04-06-2011 12:10 PM)blackhawk Wrote:  WTF are we letting in? After the horrors of what happened last year and a few years earlier, we don't have much wiggle room to allow this cr-p to exist. Would you send your daughter to NIU right now?

Keep in mind that we don't even know if the suspects are NIU students and the 2/14 tragedy wasn't done by an NIU student either. And yes I would send my hypothetical daughter to NIU if that's where she wanted to go.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 12:23 PM by armour248.)
04-06-2011 12:16 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

Regressed? Come on.. it's a college campus, I'm sure you see stories similar to this at the UofI and ISU campuses. How many shootings on campus have there been this year? Were there any others besides this one?
04-06-2011 12:22 PM
scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-06-2011 12:10 PM)blackhawk Wrote:  Prayers to our Huskie.

WTF is going on in DK? Seriously.

I love my university and I'll stay loyal, but since I am addressing family here..this is NOT the NIU that was 20-30 years ago. We have regressed. The NIU student is not what it was. A very solid state school that had only U of I to look up to has been relegated to a lower rung.

WTF are we letting in? After the horrors of what happened last year and a few years earlier, we don't have much wiggle room to allow this cr-p to exist. Would you send your daughter to NIU right now?

We have had much banter about this before but all those that seem to think that we are regressing...you are right.

Again, I'll stay loyal, ALWAYS.. and the only reason I am this disgusted is b/c I care about my school and while I'll argue w/ those that aren't from the Huksie family in support of us, I do so contra to logic.

+1, exactly my thoughts.

Regardless if it is a student or not, which I'd be surprised if it was, it's happening on campus and the victim is a highly recognized student of the university. From the public's standpoint, and most importantly potential enrollees and their parents, it's a university issue.

I feel terrible for the team, and terrible for Doeren and terrible for Peters and the university. Something has to change, I'm tired of trying defend my alma mater even a lot of times to other alum! Enrollment and entry standards have already become a big time issue in the last couple of years, what now?
04-06-2011 12:40 PM
Advertisement

niuliger09 Offline
1st String

Holy cow that was Butler? I really hope he's okay, I saw him being taken into the ambulance. Any word on his condition?
I never knew he lived there, I happen to live on the building next to the one it took place.
I was sleeping but woke up when I heard the shots and the sound of a car taking off in a hurry. I didn't think much of it since I was half sleep, plus what are the chances those were actually shots and not fireworks.
I went back to sleep and a couple of minutes later woke up again to the sounds of two officers shouting.
I looked out the window and there were two officers with rifles pointing them at the building.
Few minutes later when everything was calmed down is when I saw a black male being taken to the hospital, who I guess turned out to be Butler.
It was a horrible feeling, I literally started having flashbacks of February 14.
My thoughts and prayers are with Butler and his family. Hope he is okay.
It is unsettling to think I was sleeping with my gf just literally less than 30 feet from where he was shot. There's also a family with a little boy that lives in that building.
04-06-2011 12:56 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

Tired of defending our school? I'm not trying to make light of an awful situation, and I feel bad for the player, but I think people need to take a step back.

Yes, we had a tragic event a few years ago, but no school could have done anything to prevent that, and we had the very disturbing incident in the fall, but that wasn't on campus. In both situations, the police handled it as well as I think they could have, I'm not an expert, but I was very impressed with the police response the first time around, and they quickly found and apprehended the suspect in the second case.

Is our campus really that much more dangerous than other schools?

If this happened at SIU or WIU, would you ever hear about it? I don't really think I would. Maybe I'm completely underestimating the situation here, but I don't think our school has taken this dramatic drop in safety, I think these things are just magnified due to a couple very tragic events the school had almost no way to prevent.
04-06-2011 12:59 PM
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

Quote:NIU football coach Dave Doeren released a news statement. He is at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center and is in close contact with Butler's family.

"All our thoughts and prayers as a team and as a coaching staff right now are with Devon,” Doeren said in a news release. “He’s a member of our family and the most important thing is his health.”

NIU Director of Athletics Jeff Compher also released a statement in the same news release.

“As an athletic department and as a university, I know that we are going to support Devon, his family and his teammates in every way we can,” Compher said. “Our primary focus is on all of our student-athletes at this time.”

Doeren has cancelled Thursday's scheduled practice and all team activities until further notice.
04-06-2011 01:18 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-06-2011 12:59 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Tired of defending our school? I'm not trying to make light of an awful situation, and I feel bad for the player, but I think people need to take a step back.

Yes, we had a tragic event a few years ago, but no school could have done anything to prevent that, and we had the very disturbing incident in the fall, but that wasn't on campus. In both situations, the police handled it as well as I think they could have, I'm not an expert, but I was very impressed with the police response the first time around, and they quickly found and apprehended the suspect in the second case.

Is our campus really that much more dangerous than other schools?

If this happened at SIU or WIU, would you ever hear about it? I don't really think I would. Maybe I'm completely underestimating the situation here, but I don't think our school has taken this dramatic drop in safety, I think these things are just magnified due to a couple very tragic events the school had almost no way to prevent.

Couldn't have said it better.

Any school of a size worth talking about is going to have problems around it. I'd believe in bigfoot before I really believed someone describing a college environment, especially a big one, as "safe."
04-06-2011 01:30 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
More details:

http://www.huskiewire.com/articles/2011/.../index.xml

Quote:DeKalb investigators determined Apartment #3 at 1009 Aspen Drive was targeted as a result of a drug transaction that occurred earlier Tuesday. DeKalb Police Chief Bill Feithen emphasized that there is no indication that NIU student Devon Butler had any knowledge of nor was involved or present during that drug transaction earlier in the day. Devon Butler arrived at the apartment late Tuesday evening to meet with friends.
04-06-2011 01:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Butler was just visiting the apartment apparently. The suspects shot through a window from outside the building and one of the bullets hit Butler who was visiting friends that lived there. The shooting was over a drug transaction and at this point there is no indication that Butler was aware of the situation.
04-06-2011 01:35 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Both suspects, Mark Orozco and Richard Van Arsdale, are listed as students in the NIU directory. Awesome.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2011 01:45 PM by NIU1981.)
04-06-2011 01:43 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
He is a tough kid....our prayers are with you Huskie Brother....
04-06-2011 01:55 PM
SiegInc Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU, Auburn
Police chief said he is "cautiously optimistic" on Butler's recovery. Hopefully, this is a good sign.
04-06-2011 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.