Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fat America
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Fat America

Some good points, even if garnished heavy with creepy liberalism.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2011 02:45 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
01-01-2011 02:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RE: Fat America
Saw a movie today .... Fat Head.

A comedian loses 12 ibs in a month eating fast food three meals a day. He completely debunks Super-Size Me .... and calls the low-fat dietary theory counter-evolutionary and the biggest medical scam ever. He didn't just lose weight ... his good cholesterol was higher and his bad cholesterol was lower.

It offers the real theory and medical benefits behind a low carb diet, and not the bull**** low carb diets meant to sell products like South Beach and Atkins.

AMAZING.

I'm going to try it.
01-02-2011 08:52 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-02-2011 08:52 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Saw a movie today .... Fat Head.

A comedian loses 12 ibs in a month eating fast food three meals a day. He completely debunks Super-Size Me .... and calls the low-fat dietary theory counter-evolutionary and the biggest medical scam ever. He didn't just lose weight ... his good cholesterol was higher and his bad cholesterol was lower.

It offers the real theory and medical benefits behind a low carb diet, and not the bull**** low carb diets meant to sell products like South Beach and Atkins.

AMAZING.

I'm going to try it.

i assume he worked out like a maniac
01-03-2011 10:08 AM

(01-03-2011 10:08 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(01-02-2011 08:52 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Saw a movie today .... Fat Head.

AMAZING.

I'm going to try it.

Nope. He walked 3 times a week, and I believe used progressive resistance 3 times a week. He was doing that before the all fast food diet and GAINING weight.
01-03-2011 11:32 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-03-2011 11:32 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(01-03-2011 10:08 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

AMAZING.

I'm going to try it.

Nope. He walked 3 times a week, and I believe used progressive resistance 3 times a week. He was doing that before the all fast food diet and GAINING weight.

i can't believe a smart guy like you can't see the holes in this. Do you honestly expect me to believe that if i eat fast food 3 times a day and walk 3 times a week, i'll lose weight and improve my cholesterol? i'm sorry, but i highly doubt that would work
01-03-2011 11:57 AM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

I Root For: WMU
(01-01-2011 02:36 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

My favorite line: "Why does it need to be regulated? Isn't that what parents are for?".
01-03-2011 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

(01-03-2011 11:57 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i can't believe a smart guy like you can't see the holes in this. Do you honestly expect me to believe that if i eat fast food 3 times a day and walk 3 times a week, i'll lose weight and improve my cholesterol? i'm sorry, but i highly doubt that would work

Actually ... there's more to it than that. You have to understand how your blood sugar operates, and how sugars/starches and fats behave in that system of equilibrium. It's actually simple ... but like evolution or Linux, it takes a smart person to truly appreciate the simplicity.

Lucky you...... THE ENTIRE documentary is on Hulu.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

The trailer:

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 12:06 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
01-03-2011 12:03 PM

And if you're lazy, here's the core of the argument. I love the bit about the Inuit Indians, living exclusively off whale fat half the year, and virtually no heart disease.

01-03-2011 12:19 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
probably because the inuits don't sit around playing xbox and surfing the internet. they work hard all year round
01-03-2011 12:43 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(01-03-2011 12:19 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And if you're lazy, here's the core of the argument. I love the bit about the Inuit Indians, living exclusively off whale fat half the year, and virtually no heart disease.

I went on the Atkins diet a couple of years ago and without any exercise lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I have continued to use it to maintain my weight by going back on it every time I gain 5 pounds. It works as advertised if you stick to the science of it. My last workup at the Dr. showed my cholesterol had come down by 25 points. My Dr. does not recommend that I stay on the diet for more than a month at a time.

The key is putting your body into Ketoacidosis. Get some of Keto strips from the pharmacy...when your urine makes the strip turn purple...you will drop weight like crazy. If you exercise...that will even increase.

This is one diet..that works. It is though like ANY other diet. You MUST change your lifestyle and stick with it. The only difference is...you will NOT be hungry all the time. It is really cutting out eating anything "white"...bread,pasta,rice,potatoes...sugar.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 12:45 PM by Fo Shizzle.)
01-03-2011 12:44 PM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

I Root For: WMU
(01-03-2011 12:44 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  I went on the Atkins diet a couple of years ago and without any exercise lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I have continued to use it to maintain my weight by going back on it every time I gain 5 pounds. It works as advertised if you stick to the science of it. My last workup at the Dr. showed my cholesterol had come down by 25 points. My Dr. does not recommend that I stay on the diet for more than a month at a time.

The key is putting your body into Ketoacidosis. Get some of Keto strips from the pharmacy...when your urine makes the strip turn purple...you will drop weight like crazy. If you exercise...that will even increase.

This is one diet..that works. It is though like ANY other diet. You MUST change your lifestyle and stick with it. The only difference is...you will NOT be hungry all the time. It is really cutting out eating anything "white"...bread,pasta,rice,potatoes...sugar.

I have a friend who did a small scale version of this, eliminating soft drinks from his diet, and having stuck with it for a few years now he went from 200 pounds above a healthy body weight down to just 40 over (and has leveled off there). Plus his cholesterol is now "normal" and his blood pressure is also in a healthy range. And he hardly ever exercises.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 11:12 AM by moe24.)
01-03-2011 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(01-01-2011 02:36 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Ok Taking this apart:

It's Cheaper to East Fast food: FALSE

Its *easier* to eat fast food... I have a 2.50 slice of pizza in front of me right now.. I could have packed an Apple, Sandwich, and a few baby carrots for half that if I woke up 20 minutes earlier.

The Poorest People are the Fattest People: Non Sequiter (sort of)

The lack of grocery stores in very poor neighborhoods is a problem. My Uncle owns a small market in a poor Baltimore Community and has to do his business behind Bullet Proof Glass.

If store were not afraid of robbery and shoplifting there would be better dietary choices in the inner city. This is *not* because of income but because of violent inner cities.

It's the Culture: False

This is the same culinary culture we had one hundred years ago (in New Orleans). Other cultural aspects like *activity* have delcined since then.

No Access Since Katrina: False

There are *11* grocery stores withing two kilometers of BuckTowns Center. The person who said they hate it tried to say "it's cheap" but followed it up with the real issue "Ill get it on the Run"

On the Guy who McDonalds for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner: Not $$

The Average McConalds meal runs you about 5$ three times a day is 15$. for 15$ you can get 2 pounds chicken, one back spinach, one loaf bred, one carton Juice, a pound of pasta, and a jar of pasta sauce, a bunch of bananas" That's food for three meals for a day or two.

Minorities Are More Effected: False

Hispanics and American born Africans are more effected but Asians and African Born Africans are healthier.

Children Don't have access to information: False(ish)

If a kid does not know coke is not bad for you compared to say water they (1) They are not paying attention in school and (2) Their parents are not doing their job.

Kids know that friut is better for you than fries.

Eating Less Food is the only way out: Way False!

You can get fat eating salads if you're not active. My wife and I recently cut kids, and our own, TV time down to 1.5 hours a day. So usually the kids watch something in the morning and I watch the news at night..

Activity is what kids are lacking it not only helps with weight but with oxygen in the blood, cholesterol, bp, ...

Should people eat less? probably but that won't fix the health problem.

---

The overall tone was "save us government". Truth is if parents just made kids go out and play for an hour or two a day and served them two decent a day meals things would get substantially better.

Now just so nobody thinks I am playing holier than thou I have to disclaim that I am very over weight and a notorious midnight snacker. But because I want to be there for my kids when they have kids we are changing.
01-03-2011 01:24 PM

(01-03-2011 12:44 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  The key is putting your body into Ketoacidosis. Get some of Keto strips from the pharmacy...when your urine makes the strip turn purple...you will drop weight like crazy. If you exercise...that will even increase.

I'd be careful with that. If your breath smells of acetone ... you've gone too far.

Now your bit about not feeling hungry is to me the most pleasant thing about this diet. I use to reach for something cracker like (crackers, cheez-its, etc) during the day between meals.... as well as downing probably close to a 2 liter a day in soft drinks. But now I feel full .... I feel MUCH more energetic ... it's great! When I do reach for a snack it's usually late at night, and I'll just go for some peanuts/jerky instead. However, lemme tell you, giving up soft drinks completely is out of the question for me. It's just that I'm changing from a 2 liter a day to a 8-oz a day.... and even a 8-oz is about a quarter of my goal carb intake for the day.

You have any breakfast solutions Shizzle? That's the one thing I cannot easily find something that's quick to fix, tasty, and with relatively few carbs. For now I'm going with bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits and taking the bottom part of the biscuit off.
01-04-2011 10:03 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-04-2011 10:03 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(01-03-2011 12:44 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  The key is putting your body into Ketoacidosis. Get some of Keto strips from the pharmacy...when your urine makes the strip turn purple...you will drop weight like crazy. If you exercise...that will even increase.

I'd be careful with that. If your breath smells of acetone ... you've gone too far.

Now your bit about not feeling hungry is to me the most pleasant thing about this diet. I use to reach for something cracker like (crackers, cheez-its, etc) during the day between meals.... as well as downing probably close to a 2 liter a day in soft drinks. But now I feel full .... I feel MUCH more energetic ... it's great! When I do reach for a snack it's usually late at night, and I'll just go for some peanuts/jerky instead. However, lemme tell you, giving up soft drinks completely is out of the question for me. It's just that I'm changing from a 2 liter a day to a 8-oz a day.... and even a 8-oz is about a quarter of my goal carb intake for the day.

You have any breakfast solutions Shizzle? That's the one thing I cannot easily find something that's quick to fix, tasty, and with relatively few carbs. For now I'm going with bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits and taking the bottom part of the biscuit off.

you better hope your family has a history of good cholesterol or else the bacon, eggs and cheese will destroy you. I'm sorry, but the difference between indians/indigenous people and us, is that when they eat meat they didn't cook it in grease or smother it in cheese. To pretend that they ate like people who stuff their faces with fast food is absurd. There's an incredible difference.

As for the soda, you'd be much better off drinking soda with natural cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. i highly doubt the inuits used high fructose corn syrup
01-04-2011 10:18 AM

(01-04-2011 10:18 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  you better hope your family has a history of good cholesterol or else the bacon, eggs and cheese will destroy you. I'm sorry, but the difference between indians/indigenous people and us, is that when they eat meat they didn't cook it in grease or smother it in cheese. To pretend that they ate like people who stuff their faces with fast food is absurd. There's an incredible difference.

As for the soda, you'd be much better off drinking soda with natural cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. i highly doubt the inuits used high fructose corn syrup

Cane sugar is better, yes ... but VERY hard to find. However, at only 8oz a day, I'm drinking specialty "microbrewery" sodas I found at the Soda Pop Stop in Pasadena, CA. (You remember the video from The Sports Bar, I hope). These are largely made from cane sugar.

Now, you need to watch some of the videos I posted. You're misunderstanding how fat is used in the body. I will actually end up LOWERING my cholesterol on this diet. Well, except my good cholesterol ... which will GO UP.

You need to watch the movie.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 10:21 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
01-04-2011 10:21 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-04-2011 10:21 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(01-04-2011 10:18 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  you better hope your family has a history of good cholesterol or else the bacon, eggs and cheese will destroy you. I'm sorry, but the difference between indians/indigenous people and us, is that when they eat meat they didn't cook it in grease or smother it in cheese. To pretend that they ate like people who stuff their faces with fast food is absurd. There's an incredible difference.

Cane sugar is better, yes ... but VERY hard to find. However, at only 8oz a day, I'm drinking specialty "microbrewery" sodas I found at the Soda Pop Stop in Pasadena, CA. (You remember the video from The Sports Bar, I hope). These are largely made from cane sugar.

Now, you need to watch some of the videos I posted. You're misunderstanding how fat is used in the body. I will actually end up LOWERING my cholesterol on this diet. Well, except my good cholesterol ... which will GO UP.

You need to watch the movie.

i do remember the video. seemed like a pretty cool place

i'll watch the videos when i get the chance. the st. johns game took up most of my night. It'll be hard for me to believe though. This flies in the face of everything we know about dieting. i can pretty much guarantee that if i started only eating greasy food, my weight would shoot up. In fact, if i can eat all this horrible food and not gain a pound, why have i gained like 10 lbs in the last 6 months? I don't think it's because i haven't been eating enough hot dogs and bacon
01-04-2011 10:28 AM
Advertisement

(01-04-2011 10:28 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i'll watch the videos when i get the chance. the st. johns game took up most of my night. It'll be hard for me to believe though. This flies in the face of everything we know about dieting. i can pretty much guarantee that if i started only eating greasy food, my weight would shoot up. In fact, if i can eat all this horrible food and not gain a pound, why have i gained like 10 lbs in the last 6 months? I don't think it's because i haven't been eating enough hot dogs and bacon

Ah-ah-ah ... it flies in the face of everything the USDA has TOLD you about dieting. HUGEEEEEEEEEEE difference. The medical literature says something else (what I'm saying).

And if you eat greasy foods WITH CARBS ... your weight will indeed shoot up. You HAVE TO REMOVE the carbs, or it is suicidal. Eat your hot dog without the bun and you'll be fine. :)
01-04-2011 10:32 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-04-2011 10:32 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(01-04-2011 10:28 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  i'll watch the videos when i get the chance. the st. johns game took up most of my night. It'll be hard for me to believe though. This flies in the face of everything we know about dieting. i can pretty much guarantee that if i started only eating greasy food, my weight would shoot up. In fact, if i can eat all this horrible food and not gain a pound, why have i gained like 10 lbs in the last 6 months? I don't think it's because i haven't been eating enough hot dogs and bacon

Ah-ah-ah ... it flies in the face of everything the USDA has TOLD you about dieting. HUGEEEEEEEEEEE difference. The medical literature says something else (what I'm saying).

And if you eat greasy foods WITH CARBS ... your weight will indeed shoot up. You HAVE TO REMOVE the carbs, or it is suicidal. Eat your hot dog without the bun and you'll be fine. :)

interesting. i can do that. what does the medical literature say about fruits and vegetables?
01-04-2011 10:39 AM

If you're going the low carb route ... load up on veggies, with a few exceptions. Fruits however, are a different story. We've bred apples and oranges to be as sweet as possible ... in other words they're loaded with starch. Starch is simply the plant world equivalent of sugar. And in your body it is broken down into sugar quickly.

You can only have a little of apples and oranges. No potatoes. They're pure starch with a thin skin on top.

Go for lots and lots of veggies and berries to accompany your steak. The good news is you can absolutely DROWN that salad in dressing, which is pretty much fat with no carbs.

Watch the flick ... he covers all this.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 10:45 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
01-04-2011 10:44 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(01-04-2011 10:44 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  If you're going the low carb route ... load up on veggies, with a few exceptions. Fruits however, are a different story. We've bred apples and oranges to be as sweet as possible ... in other words they're loaded with starch. Starch is simply the plant world equivalent of sugar. And in your body it is broken down into sugar quickly.

You can only have a little of apples and oranges. No potatoes. They're pure starch with a thin skin on top.

Go for lots and lots of veggies and berries to accompany your steak. The good news is you can absolutely DROWN that salad in dressing, which is pretty much fat with no carbs.

Watch the flick ... he covers all this.

so all those apples and clementines i've been eating the past couple days have actually been hurting me?

and what about beans, as well as cooking oil and olive oil?

i'll stop bombarding you with questions once i get home. i just don't wanna watch at work
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 10:58 AM by flyingswoosh.)
01-04-2011 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.