Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bill Self on BE expansion-
Ned Low Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Bill Self on BE expansion-
Interesting article from CBS Sports:

http://college-football.blogs.cbssports....8/26163006

Will the BE take a "wait and see" approach?
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2010 10:50 PM by Ned Low.)
11-30-2010 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
RE: Bill Self on BE expansion-
Even though they didnt accept it, it really reassures me. I like what Marinatto is doing. He was proactive in trying to scoop those 4 schools up (which is what everyone on this forum wanted him to do), and he added the best non bcs school available to all sports.

The big east commissioner is doing a tremendous job. Never thought id say that during the Tranghese era.
11-30-2010 11:18 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
See I think Mikey T would've attempted to get those 4 from the Big XII when things appeared to be collapsing over there. He would've foolish not to.

This past week was the perfect time to pick up TCU. The Big East wanted to take the wait and see method back in the spring and it worked out in our benefit. As we move forward I hope we continue this route instead of rushing to 10 or 12.
12-01-2010 07:52 AM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Self has talked about Ku and Big East together a few times publically I think that goes to show where he stands with the Big 12 and his eye towards the Big East. He doesn't need to talk about Ku and expansion when asked about TCU but chooses to do so.
12-01-2010 08:30 AM
Goldenbuc Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
KU, KSU and Mizzou have no worries if the Big 12 folds in a few years. The Big East will be waiting there and will gladly pick them up...even if they get poached a little themselves.
12-01-2010 08:44 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
I'm not certain Mikey T. would have done that. He might have, but he was rarely decisive. He was the type of person that had to think about things from all the different angles. Which is why he made great decisions when given time, but bad ones when under pressure - see May/June of 2003 for a prime example of this.

Marinatto seems to have learned from that. And even more interestingly is that I think he has decided that the Catholic League is not an option for Providence, no matter what the folks at Providence may think. And he is bound and determined to see the Friars remain relevant in a BCS conference.

Cheers,
Neil
12-01-2010 08:49 AM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(11-30-2010 11:18 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  The big east commissioner is doing a tremendous job. Never thought id say that during the Tranghese era.

You couldn't say it during the Tranghese era without it being a lie.

:kneelsucka:
12-02-2010 04:18 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I don't think Tranghese would have done anything, he sided with the basketball guys and he wanted to stay at 8. Remember, this is the same guy who, during the summer, when it was stated on the radio to him that Marinatto was going to fight for the Big East Tranghese said that the Big East was dead, the Big Ten was going to destroy it and it was nothing they could do about it, blah, blah, blah. He basically gave up, it was pathetic, Marinatto and this leadership has heart, they're being proactive instead of reactive.
12-02-2010 06:45 PM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
(12-02-2010 06:45 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  I don't think Tranghese would have done anything, he sided with the basketball guys and he wanted to stay at 8. Remember, this is the same guy who, during the summer, when it was stated on the radio to him that Marinatto was going to fight for the Big East Tranghese said that the Big East was dead, the Big Ten was going to destroy it and it was nothing they could do about it, blah, blah, blah. He basically gave up, it was pathetic, Marinatto and this leadership has heart, they're being proactive instead of reactive.

if the big east can strike up a network with notre dame, giving them a bigger share, i'm in favor of it...............
12-02-2010 07:08 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-02-2010 07:08 PM)Stookey57 Wrote:  
(12-02-2010 06:45 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  I don't think Tranghese would have done anything, he sided with the basketball guys and he wanted to stay at 8. Remember, this is the same guy who, during the summer, when it was stated on the radio to him that Marinatto was going to fight for the Big East Tranghese said that the Big East was dead, the Big Ten was going to destroy it and it was nothing they could do about it, blah, blah, blah. He basically gave up, it was pathetic, Marinatto and this leadership has heart, they're being proactive instead of reactive.

if the big east can strike up a network with notre dame, giving them a bigger share, i'm in favor of it...............

I bet you the way it works out is that we will start the network and the football schools and Notre Dame will get the most money (but Notre Dame will get and equal, but not greater share). It will be a big revenue boost to the football schools AND basketball schools. Notre Dame will probably offer their services by playing home games with the Big East football schools a couple of times a year (that would give us rights to the game and we can show it on the Big East Network) and access to classic Notre Dame games to sell.
12-02-2010 07:22 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Notre dame has little value to a potential big east network. Every single game owned by the big east featuring notre dame will be picked up by the national tv rights holder, just like they are now. There is no point in "partnering" with them and giving them an equal share when they will not have any games on the network. And besides, having them play 3 BE teams per year was something they already agreed to. We should not be paying them extra to do what they have already promised to do in exchange for basketball membership.
12-02-2010 07:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2010/11/30/...as-options

Another article out of Kansas discussing Kansas/KSU/Mizzou to the BE possibilities. The rumors are out there. I wonder if BE is playing this game with Texas to see who blinks first.
12-02-2010 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-02-2010 07:38 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  Notre dame has little value to a potential big east network. Every single game owned by the big east featuring notre dame will be picked up by the national tv rights holder, just like they are now. There is no point in "partnering" with them and giving them an equal share when they will not have any games on the network. And besides, having them play 3 BE teams per year was something they already agreed to. We should not be paying them extra to do what they have already promised to do in exchange for basketball membership.

Notre Dame has a ton of value to a potential Big East Network because if the game is in a Big East building the Big East would have the rights to show the game. And people forget that Notre Dame has other sports in this conference, including basketball. And Notre Dame's name alone on the Big East Network is a huge marketing chip.
12-02-2010 09:22 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

This could be what Cormie and others were saying when they said that TCU was a "decoy" and that something big could be happening. We have been talking to the Big 12 schools for awhile. The Big 12 schools have been in constant contact with us in particular several Big East schools. We have a channel to the Big 12 schools and Kansas seems to be eyeing the Big East up and down. One interesting thing, in particular Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Iowa State along with TCU could make it possible for the Big East schools to be willing to sign a huge exit fee. I saw Missouri because, unless something changes big time, the Big Ten doesn't seem to want them.

On a side note, it's nice to be a BCS conference that other BCS conference schools and their fans are looking at and gawking over. Being in a position of power and respect is nice for once.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2010 09:33 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-02-2010 09:24 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
If you are considering Kansas, Kansas State, and Mizzou, you should consider Iowa State, too. Iowa State has a fanbase to support their program. Iowa State is also a very good school. Their knock is their lack of success on the field and "Iowa". It should be considered that many kids from Chicago go to school at Iowa State. They have "markets".
12-02-2010 09:31 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

Iowa State also has something that Notre Dame, Syracuse, Rutgers, Pitt and others like, top flight academics. They are a true Tier 1 program and, I believe, and AAU school. Iowa State and Missouri obviously, would give us big time academic juice (along with the addition of TCU). A nice scenerio would be to split and add those 4 and look for a 14th team and get that network up and running.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2010 09:39 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-02-2010 09:38 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The Big XII's foundation is shaky, since it's all dependent upon Texas' will. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kansas start the migration outbound...
12-02-2010 09:58 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I think the Big 12's weakness is very much overstated. Texas stayed rather than going for more money in the PAC-10, Big Ten, or SEC. Texas A&M didn't go to the SEC where it would get more either. I see the conference as OK for at least the next several years.
12-02-2010 10:15 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Texas has OU/OSU/TT/BU by the nads because OU won't leve Texas and the others can't because they have no other options.

The North schools are in a different position. If they see an oppurtunity to be in an AQ conference that isn't the plaything of one schools ego then they will take it. I would not be surprised at all if at least KU/KSU bail for the Big East.
12-02-2010 11:28 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
With addition of TCU, B12 north schools to the BE is all suddenly makes much more sense. The only question now is can BE put together a TV package on par with whatever leftover B12 north schools will get from Texas. If the numbers are close and BE can offer those schools a more stable home, it is all possible. I think B12 is just too unstable due to Texas' greed. When you have partnerships not on equal footings, someone will bail at some point. Nebraska and Colorado already did their part.
12-03-2010 12:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.