Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Safe are Mobile Phone
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
How Safe are Mobile Phone
People should be very restrictive with using mobile phones as there is a significant body of compelling scientific evidence indicating serious hazards from their usage. Therefore, we advice you to reduce the usage to very few and brief calls, see "How long is it safe to call?" (below).
People below 20 should only have mobile phones that allow SMS messages only, but no talking, because the risks are far higher in young people.
Further buildup of the mobile phone net must be stopped. Steadily increasing evidence indicates that it is too harmful to be acceptable for common usage. Moreover, it has been repeatedly confirmed that the radiation from base stations is harmful to health.

http://www.psrast.org/mobileng/mobilstarteng.htm#etiq
05-20-2009 07:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: How Safe are Mobile Phone
I have an iphone. It's cool.
05-20-2009 07:22 PM
Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Personally, I wish cell phones and pagers were never invented.
05-20-2009 07:22 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-20-2009 07:22 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Personally, I wish cell phones and pagers were never invented.

I take it you don't have an iphone.
05-20-2009 07:30 PM
steer Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
(05-20-2009 07:22 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Personally, I wish cell phones and pagers were never invented.
Agree! No privacy. I have lost count of how many phone calls received while sitting on the throne.

Now the office can fiind me anywhere, anytime.
05-20-2009 07:34 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-20-2009 07:34 PM)steer Wrote:  
Agree! No privacy. I have lost count of how many phone calls received while sitting on the throne.

Now the office can find me anywhere, anytime.

Ya know, I checked with the Supreme Court and Geneva Conventions and, ...you don't have to answer them.
05-20-2009 07:37 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest

I do not own a cell phone. I do not wish to be found.
05-20-2009 07:44 PM
steer Offline
1st String

(05-20-2009 07:37 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(05-20-2009 07:34 PM)steer Wrote:  

Now the office can find me anywhere, anytime.

Ya know, I checked with the Supreme Court and Geneva Conventions and, ...you don't have to answer them.

Only if I want a paycheck.
05-20-2009 07:45 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(05-20-2009 07:30 PM)Rebel Wrote:  

I take it you don't have an iphone.

I have a Blackberry. My friend has an iphone. The best thing about his phone is an artillary game. My phone rings so much it's reached the point where I can't stand hearing phones ringing on TV.

Question: Why is it that when my wife calls me I have to answer immediately or I'm a dead man, yet she can pick and choose if she answers or returns my calls and it's ok?
05-20-2009 07:47 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Hey guys? I may be wrong, but those ringers? Yeah, they turn off.
05-20-2009 07:50 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(05-20-2009 07:50 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Hey guys? I may be wrong, but those ringers? Yeah, they turn off.

My boss pays for my phone. Turning it off is not an option. But there are dead areas in my house...
05-20-2009 07:51 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(05-20-2009 07:50 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Hey guys? I may be wrong, but those ringers? Yeah, they turn off.

I'd rather not have to even worry about that. My wife does have a cell that we use when on trips....otherwise...its turned off. I doubt we make 2 doz. calls a year on it.
05-20-2009 07:52 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I'm actually looking into buying an iPhone. That way I can have internet where ever I go.
05-20-2009 07:56 PM
steer Offline
1st String

(05-20-2009 07:51 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  

My boss pays for my phone. Turning it off is not an option. But there are dead areas in my house...

Here is another one you can use: It was on the charger and I forgot it when I went to ____.
05-20-2009 08:04 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-20-2009 07:56 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I'm actually looking into buying an iPhone. That way I can have internet where ever I go.

My plan is 89 per month but I added 200 text messages for 5 bucks. So, 94 per month. I get 900 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, unlimited ATT-ATT calls (including home service), and rollover. The phone is a Refurb 8GB that I bought for 99 bucks from ATT's website. I ordered it and they ported my Sprint number as soon as I received it. The 16GB refurb is 149. I gotta tell you, I've never been one that's "in to phones", but I have REALLY enjoyed this thing. 99 bucks is nothing for what you get. It's a friggin' computer running OS X. I bought a refurb because it's an Apple refurb. Apple refurbs are known for their quality.

You cannot go wrong with an iphone. I have apps out the ass to include a dictionary that was 38 megs, several cookbooks, 3 apps for mixed drinks, test preps for things like the LSAT and MBA, a book on networking, apps for networking for ping, telnet, tracert, etc., hell, there really IS an app for everything. If you have an ipod touch, you know what I mean. The camera is also 100 times better than my Samsung A600.
05-20-2009 08:16 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Put it to you like this, I have 7 pages of Apps and I've only had it a couple of days over a week. There are, IIRC, over 40,000 Apps and more are being added daily.
05-20-2009 08:18 PM
Advertisement

steer Offline
1st String

<--- No camera, no full keyboard, no web, no games, no downloadable ring tones. $50/month. 03-cloud9
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2009 08:38 PM by steer.)
05-20-2009 08:20 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Oh, and some badass games. The Top Gun game is awesome. The Trivial Pursuit is a real time killer. I haven't checked my personal Yahoo e-mail on my PC in several days. I get buzzed every time I get one. ....and yes, you do have internet everywhere you go. Hell, driving down the damn road. I went to visit my parents in Mississippi this past weekend and never lost connection. Now, the connection changes, mind you, but you don't lose it so long as you're in their network. There are essentially 3 types of connections, WiFi, 3G, and in rural areas, it says "E". Don't know what that means, but it's slower than the other two. ....but still active. Works off the phone service itself.
05-20-2009 08:21 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(05-20-2009 08:16 PM)Rebel Wrote:  ........3 apps for mixed drinks,

Whiskey, ice, glass. Simple.
05-20-2009 08:21 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(05-20-2009 07:19 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  People should be very restrictive with using mobile phones as there is a significant body of compelling scientific evidence indicating serious hazards from their usage.

bull****. There is growing evidence that all of these scares have been debunked many times over.

Here are a couple of hints about the source that you cite. One, when a website has numerous citations and they all point back to the same website, there's a reason for it - they're making stuff up. Second, most organizations with names like "Physicians and Scientists for" do not have physicians or scientists that belong to them - they tend to be communist sock puppets (as in Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR)). See fearmongers. These groups consistently get the media to grant them undue credibility because of their name.

All this said, I haven't looked into the specific allegations here, but these types of allegations come and go and are generally baseless. It is a classic struggle between Luddites and those without their head up their asses.

The dude that owns PSRAST.org also says this:

Quote:Consider the following observations and conclusions from established experts and institutions summarized by Jaan Suurkula, M.D. and chairman of Physicians and Scientists for Responsible Application of Science and Technology (PSRAST), noting the impact that global warming will have on ecosystems and biodiversity:

The world environmental situation is likely to be further aggravated by the increasingly rapid, large scale global extinction of species. It occurred in the 20th century at a rate that was a thousand times higher than the average rate during the preceding 65 million years. This is likely to destabilize various ecosystems including agricultural systems.

…In a slow extinction, various balancing mechanisms can develop. Noone knows what will be the result of this extremely rapid extinction rate. What is known, for sure, is that the world ecological system has been kept in balance through a very complex and multifacetted interaction between a huge number of species. This rapid extinction is therefore likely to precitate collapses of ecolosystems at a global scale. This is predicted to create large-scale agricultural problems, threatening food supplies to hundreds of millions of people. This ecological prediction does not take into consideration the effects of global warming which will further aggravate the situation.

Industrialized fishing has contributed importantly to mass extinction due to repeatedly failed attempts at limiting the fishing.

A new global study concludes that 90 percent of all large fishes have disappeared from the world’s oceans in the past half century, the devastating result of industrial fishing. The study, which took 10 years to complete and was published in the international journal Nature, paints a grim picture of the Earth’s current populations of such species as sharks, swordfish, tuna and marlin.

…The loss of predatory fishes is likely to cause multiple complex imbalances in marine ecology.

Another cause for extensive fish extinction is the destruction of coral reefs. This is caused by a combination of causes, including warming of oceans, damage from fishing tools and a harmful infection of coral organisms promoted by ocean pollution. It will take hundreds of thousands of years to restore what is now being destroyed in a few decades.

…According to the most comprehensive study done so far in this field, over a million species will be lost in the coming 50 years. The most important cause was found to be climate change.

…NOTE: The above presentation encompasses only the most important and burning global environmental problems. There are several additional ones, especially in the field of chemical pollution that contribute to harm the environment or upset the ecological balance.

— Jaan Suurkula, World-wide cooperation required to prevent global crisis; Part one— the problem, Physicians and Scientists for Responsible Application of Science and Technology, February 6, 2004 [Emphasis is original]

The PSRAST site seems to have Genetically Engineered foods as one of it's primary targets. Dude gets around. And, incidentally, he also owns TMDoctors.info (Transcendental Meditation Doctors, from the page for Swedish Physicians for Transcendental Meditation).

I kind of agree with you despite the fact that I've made my living in that industry for several years.
05-20-2009 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.