Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Congrats to Michael Oher
Bookmark and Share
MEMTIGERFAN20 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Congrats to Michael Oher
I know this is a Memphis Tiger board but i want to say acongrats to Michael Oher i had the chance watching him play in college and high school for Briarcrest basketball and football. Good luck to him in Baltimore , Maryland.
04-25-2009 10:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

T.I.G.E.R.S Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis/OU
RE: Congrats to Michael Oher
that man has been thru soooo much in his life (if u havent heard his story u need to, it will almost bring a tear to ur eye) he deserves everything that has happened to him, congrats to him and i hope he lives his dream to the fullest
04-25-2009 10:48 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
NTR.

While some see this as inspiring because a wealthy white family adopted a poor black inner city kid and that kid ended up in the NFL---I see it as disgusting...

An illiterate kid gets admitted to a private high school because the equivelant of an AAU scout delivers him.

The kid has football ability so the otherwise racist private school gives him tutors and special attention so he can marginally get by the remedial level classes, but not to the point that he remotely could ever consider getting into a real college.

The kid plays around with Phil Fulmer and utk...since he knew he was going to his benefactor's alma mater...despiet the fact that by any measure utk was a superior program (and this was supposed to be about football).

The kid, who after graduating from Briarcrest is still a functional illiterate, gets squeezed into ole miss by taking fringe meaningless non academic BYU correspondence courses, which effectively renders his college admission a joke.

His "mom" encourages him to abandon any fragment of his Memphis culture, and his "mom" says disparaging thinkgs about Memphis and the Memphis schools, ignorantly not realizing that implant chasers like herself that abandon the city helped exacerbate any problems.

The kid gets in a nonsensical fight while at ole miss that nearly kills a little boy.

But all is well because after being lavished with tutors, after being taught that cheating is ok, after being delivered by bthe AAU equivelant, after being singularly helped and encouraged to abandon his city, his family and his culture, he gets drafted.

I see everything that is wrong with athletics and with look at me self righteous gimme some credit implant waving racists like Mrs Tuoy tryinng to alleviate their guolt by "helping" out a single kid while harming the community the kid came from (although after the backlash from Blind Side they have finally outreached a little).

The Tuoy's and their $4,000 couches they were worried Oher would sweat on or break can take all these fake plaudits and stick it.

And yes, if Memphis admitted an illiterate I would be just as disappointed.
04-25-2009 10:53 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Before over reacting---read the Blind Side...and then tell me this is not disgusting. You must read it first.
04-25-2009 10:54 PM
T.I.G.E.R.S Offline
All American

i love how people throw all negative stuff into something but i guess u know it all, i see why alot of people here dont like you
04-25-2009 11:01 PM
TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

I Root For: Memphis
I take great offense to you calling Briarcrest an "otherwise racist private school" pretty uncalled for imo
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2009 11:05 PM by TigersOhMy.)
04-25-2009 11:03 PM
Advertisement

onetiger Offline
2nd String

(04-25-2009 11:01 PM)T.I.G.E.R.S Wrote:  i love how people throw all negative stuff into something but i guess u know it all, i see why alot of people here dont like you

Amen....
04-25-2009 11:04 PM
T.I.G.E.R.S Offline
All American

im glad im not the only know who thinks that was a little uncalled for
04-25-2009 11:04 PM
mlawtiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
tell us how you really feel.
04-25-2009 11:13 PM
egrizzard Offline
What?

I Root For: Memphis!!!
The kid gets in a nonsensical fight while at ole miss that nearly kills a little boy.

?????????????
04-25-2009 11:13 PM
egrizzard Offline
What?

I undersatnd, a little, what Mimi is saying. I read the book. They did help Oher. Oher just so happened to be able to play football. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not. I am in no position to accuse them of anything. I will say there are plenty of motherless undersized kids in town-------

As for Briarcrest being racist, that seems a little harsh.
04-25-2009 11:17 PM
Advertisement

Chi-Town Offline
Perpetually Optimistic

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
So what? Mimi is a friggin' idiot. Just be happy for the kid and move on.
04-25-2009 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T.I.G.E.R.S Offline
All American

why take jabs at the people who helped him??? i dont understand people sometimes, but i know i havent been on here for years and year and dont have some odd thousand post like everyone else so what do i know
04-25-2009 11:23 PM
egrizzard Offline
What?

(04-25-2009 11:23 PM)T.I.G.E.R.S Wrote:  why take jabs at the people who helped him??? i dont understand people sometimes, but i know i havent been on here for years and year and dont have some odd thousand post like everyone else so what do i know

Oh, post count logic. That doesn't have anything to do with it.

I think some people simply question the sincerity of the action. Whatever. Like I said, I am in no position to do that because I don't know these people. I refuse to pass judgement on them. I could point out the disparities, but why?

I also don't know mimi or his background, so it would be hard for me to understand why he feels that way.
04-25-2009 11:30 PM
supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

I Root For: Memphis TIGERS
(04-25-2009 10:53 PM)Mimi Wrote:  NTR.

While some see this as inspiring because a wealthy white family adopted a poor black inner city kid and that kid ended up in the NFL---I see it as disgusting...

An illiterate kid gets admitted to a private high school because the equivelant of an AAU scout delivers him.

The kid has football ability so the otherwise racist private school gives him tutors and special attention so he can marginally get by the remedial level classes, but not to the point that he remotely could ever consider getting into a real college.

The kid plays around with Phil Fulmer and utk...since he knew he was going to his benefactor's alma mater...despiet the fact that by any measure utk was a superior program (and this was supposed to be about football).

The kid, who after graduating from Briarcrest is still a functional illiterate, gets squeezed into ole miss by taking fringe meaningless non academic BYU correspondence courses, which effectively renders his college admission a joke.

His "mom" encourages him to abandon any fragment of his Memphis culture, and his "mom" says disparaging thinkgs about Memphis and the Memphis schools, ignorantly not realizing that implant chasers like herself that abandon the city helped exacerbate any problems.

But all is well because after being lavished with tutors, after being taught that cheating is ok, after being delivered by bthe AAU equivelant, after being singularly helped and encouraged to abandon his city, his family and his culture, he gets drafted.

I see everything that is wrong with athletics and with look at me self righteous gimme some credit implant waving racists like Mrs Tuoy tryinng to alleviate their guolt by "helping" out a single kid while harming the community the kid came from (although after the backlash from Blind Side they have finally outreached a little).

The Tuoy's and their $4,000 couches they were worried Oher would sweat on or break can take all these fake plaudits and stick it.

First, I love how you assume that the Tuoys adopted because he playsfootball. Maybe, just maybe, they saw a kid with a lot of potential. They saw a kid that needed some help. I'm not really sure what's wrong with that. Some kids are unfortunately born into truly worthless parents. Community is important, but sometimes what we really need in life is close some doors. We don't just need new doors to open, but rather we need old doors to close.

Second, I don't understand your statement about Briarcrest being racist. Just because you obviously don't like private schools doesn't mean that private schools are bad. Briarcrest offers a quality education to many students. You're the one who brought race into this story. I'm not really sure why it matters.

Third, Why is that you have such a hatred for the Tuoys? You constantly blast these people for being "implants." Why the need for the negative view of people who are different than you.

Why did you feel the need to bring up their personal property and make personal attacks against these people.

This family took a kid in and helped him. He's playing pro ball and making something of himself.
04-25-2009 11:37 PM
T.I.G.E.R.S Offline
All American

(04-25-2009 11:37 PM)supertiger Wrote:  

First, I love how you assume that the Tuoys adopted because he playsfootball. Maybe, just maybe, they saw a kid with a lot of potential. They saw a kid that needed some help. I'm not really sure what's wrong with that. Some kids are unfortunately born into truly worthless parents. Community is important, but sometimes what we really need in life is close some doors. We don't just need new doors to open, but rather we need old doors to close.

Second, I don't understand your statement about Briarcrest being racist. Just because you obviously don't like private schools doesn't mean that private schools are bad. Briarcrest offers a quality education to many students. You're the one who brought race into this story. I'm not really sure why it matters.

Third, Why is that you have such a hatred for the Tuoys? You constantly blast these people for being "implants." Why the need for the negative view of people who are different than you.

Why did you feel the need to bring up their personal property and make personal attacks against these people.

This family took a kid in and helped him. He's playing pro ball and making something of himself.

i agree especially with the last part, would u rather that 6 foot something 300+lbs man play football or selling drugs or robbing your ass for what u got, hes doing something big with his life, let him live it
04-25-2009 11:42 PM
Advertisement

Tigerbert Offline
Accept no substitutes

I Root For: Tiger Nation
I have no love for Briarcrest but racist is more than a bit extreme
04-26-2009 12:32 AM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(04-25-2009 11:37 PM)supertiger Wrote:  

amen.
04-26-2009 12:36 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

Congrats to Michael Oher! I wish him great success.

I have great respect for the folks who took him in. We took in a troubled teen for a few months. She was our race and our economice strata, and still it took a lot of effort and sacrifice to help that kid. I've been there. It changes your entire family overnight. I cannot imagine doing what they did. Even if you did it for all the wrong reasons, the chances for success are still very slim. But they succeeded. All of them.

Congrats again.

The hard work of a LOT of people has finally yielded fruit.
04-26-2009 05:20 AM
Tygahstyle Offline
2nd String

(04-26-2009 05:20 AM)Claw Wrote:  Congrats to Michael Oher! I wish him great success.

I have great respect for the folks who took him in. We took in a troubled teen for a few months. She was our race and our economic strata, and still it took a lot of effort and sacrifice to help that kid. I've been there. It changes your entire family overnight. I cannot imagine doing what they did. Even if you did it for all the wrong reasons, the chances for success are still very slim. But they succeeded. All of them.

Congrats again.

The hard work of a LOT of people has finally yielded fruit.

My concern now is whether or not those people feel that Michael OWE$ them for their fruitful bearings and inve$tment in him. That doesn't even include his real (for lack of a better word) "family" members that may come out of the wood-works once that contract is signed.

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2009 05:57 AM by Tygahstyle.)
04-26-2009 05:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.