Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Army / Navy game - not O/T?
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Army / Navy game - not O/T?
Heard the game will be moved back to the 2nd Saturday in Dec. beginning next year.

This is "necessary but not sufficient" for either to join the MAC.

IF Army or Navy or both want to join the MAC then they could compete in the MACC and then play their rivalry game a week later.

As I've posted many times I could see Army joining under the right circumstances. Scheduling their game vs. Navy w/out conflict with the MACC would be critical.
10-24-2008 04:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

RE: Army / Navy game - not O/T?
Here is an article on such. It is a long term deal for Army/Navy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/colle...4708.story

I'd like to see BG move to the West.

Army FB only to the East.

Temple all sports to the East.

This would put the MAC 7 - 7 in FB but 7 (West) basketball but 6 (East).

Otherwise, hoops would be 7 (west) and 5 (east) if Army and Temple were in the FB east but didn't join for hoops.

I heard this summer from a good source that Temple to
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2008 05:05 AM by emu steve.)
10-24-2008 04:57 AM
IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Just out of curiosity - why take Army rather than Navy? Is there actually a reason or just that you had to pick one?
10-24-2008 08:12 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

03-lmfao
IULurker Wrote:Just out of curiosity - why take Army rather than Navy? Is there actually a reason or just that you had to pick one?

Actually, I'm sure the MAC would love to have both but it would put us at 15 teams - again an odd number.

BTW, I'd BET Chryst would take Navy in a New York minute.

I'm guessing that Army would be more responsive to a conference then Navy.

Navy can say, "Thanks, but no thanks. We are doing fine..."

Army is a N.Y. school and fits very, very well with the MAC's expansion eastward, i.e., adding UB and Temple in the last decade or so.

BTW, I did here from someone in the MAC that Temple could join the MAC for all sports. This was during the summer.

I also asked someone years ago in the college sports business who is VERY knowledgeable about the MAC about Army and Navy. His first response was that the Army Navy game was a 'show stopper' for either joining the MAC because of scheduling issues.

That impediment is NOW gone.
10-24-2008 09:56 AM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
Why must we pick up another crappy football team??
It takes a long time to turn these programs around and in the mean time the Conference takes a hit.
10-24-2008 12:11 PM
IULurker Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
emu steve Wrote:03-lmfao
IULurker Wrote:Just out of curiosity - why take Army rather than Navy? Is there actually a reason or just that you had to pick one?

Actually, I'm sure the MAC would love to have both but it would put us at 15 teams - again an odd number.

BTW, I'd BET Chryst would take Navy in a New York minute.

I'm guessing that Army would be more responsive to a conference then Navy.

Navy can say, "Thanks, but no thanks. We are doing fine..."

Army is a N.Y. school and fits very, very well with the MAC's expansion eastward, i.e., adding UB and Temple in the last decade or so.

BTW, I did here from someone in the MAC that Temple could join the MAC for all sports. This was during the summer.

I also asked someone years ago in the college sports business who is VERY knowledgeable about the MAC about Army and Navy. His first response was that the Army Navy game was a 'show stopper' for either joining the MAC because of scheduling issues.

Why the rolling on the floor laughing smilie?
10-24-2008 12:14 PM
Advertisement

BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!
emu steve Wrote:I also asked someone years ago in the college sports business who is VERY knowledgeable about the MAC about Army and Navy. His first response was that the Army Navy game was a 'show stopper' for either joining the MAC because of scheduling issues.

Ok, that impediment is now gone, but has Army changed its tune about playing in a conference? After their stint with C-USA, they seemed much happier with the independent route.

Honestly, what's in in for Army?
10-24-2008 12:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
briandtw Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: CMU
BGSUalum1987 Wrote:
emu steve Wrote:I also asked someone years ago in the college sports business who is VERY knowledgeable about the MAC about Army and Navy. His first response was that the Army Navy game was a 'show stopper' for either joining the MAC because of scheduling issues.

Ok, that impediment is now gone, but has Army changed its tune about playing in a conference? After their stint with C-USA, they seemed much happier with the independent route.

Guaranteed scheduling for 10 games a year (inc. Navy/Air Force) and shared conference revenue. I couldn't say if they make more now than if they joined a conference, but I have to think scheduling a full 12-game schedule every year is a bear.

I agree, by and large...probably not worth it for them. If they ever turned around their program to be where Navy is they could schedule a bunch of bottom of the barrel FBS teams like Navy does, get to 6 wins so they can play in some crappy bowl and keep all the money instead of having to share it.
10-24-2008 12:37 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
BGSUalum1987 Wrote:

More like "What's in it for us?" How does having Army join the MAC benefit the conference? Navy is much more appealing. Having either join for football only would not get us anywhere if the MAC wants Temple to join for all sports.

Getting both creates another scheduling problem, and it creates a conference that's too big for football. 15 teams would keep the same scheduling problem we already have, and a 16 team conference would have two divisions of 8 teams, where you have to play all the teams in your division, so we would either have to play less non-conference games [bad for the budget] or not play any team from the other division [you might as well split into two conferences if you don't play each other].
10-24-2008 12:38 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Lot of good points in this thread.

For the MAC, a couple things:

1). Army does expand the footprint and brings in their own TV (the network CBS bought) and brings fans from across the county. The Army Navy game would feature a MAC school.

2). Army isn't going to be down forever. When they rebound they'd be a big +. Some think Army will be back maybe next year under Stan Brock.

3). I believe Army has a tie-in (????) with the Congressional Bowl. Isn't it a rotational thing - like Navy, Army, Navy, etc.
10-24-2008 01:40 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
What's in it for the MAC, this is not the '60. It's about TV markets now, Army has national intrest & is located right outside of NYC. What you want is the MAC GOW playing in NY.
Army is in over thier head with the sch they play, Army could compete in MAC east. Navy has found thier nichie, Army is still looking
10-24-2008 01:43 PM
Advertisement

tchaump Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
Seems like it would be a good fit for the MAC only if Temple leaves the conference. Otherwise, that's a lot of teams and a hazier geographic footprint for the conference (a la Conference USA).
10-24-2008 01:48 PM
BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!
briandtw Wrote:
BGSUalum1987 Wrote:Honestly, what's in in for Army?

Guaranteed scheduling for 10 games a year (inc. Navy/Air Force) and shared conference revenue. I couldn't say if they make more now than if they joined a conference, but I have to think scheduling a full 12-game schedule every year is a bear.

I agree, by and large...probably not worth it for them. If they ever turned around their program to be where Navy is they could schedule a bunch of bottom of the barrel FBS teams like Navy does, get to 6 wins so they can play in some crappy bowl and keep all the money instead of having to share it.

Scheduling isn't much of an issue for Army, so I don't know that the guaranteed MAC games are all that appearling. And the revenue share? I'm guessing Army doesn't have to worry about its athletic department budget in the same way that most schools do. :)

uakronkid Wrote:More like "What's in it for us?" How does having Army join the MAC benefit the conference?

There are some advantages, but I'd agree that they aren't eye-popping ones that make this a huge win for the MAC. Army was in C-USA and you didn't hear folks from that conference singing the blues when the Black Knights packed it in.

emu steve Wrote:1). Army does expand the footprint and brings in their own TV (the network CBS bought) and brings fans from across the county. The Army Navy game would feature a MAC school.

Kinda. Again, C-USA didn't shed a tear when Army left, so you have to wonder how much of an impact they had.

emu steve Wrote:2). Army isn't going to be down forever. When they rebound they'd be a big +. Some think Army will be back maybe next year under Stan Brock.

And some think Army is going to struggle for a long, long time.

2007: 3-9-0
2006: 3-9-0
2005: 4-7-0
2004: 2-9-0
2003: 0-13-0
2002: 1-11-0
2001: 3-8-0
2000: 1-10-0
1999: 3-8-0
1998: 3-8-0
1997: 4-7-0
1996: 10-2-0

Yes, Army's streak of losing seasons is older than my son. And remember that Army has a whole different set of recruiting challenges that your run-of-the-mill university couldn't even dream of. So turning it around isn't simply a matter of hiring a high-profile coach and recruiting better.

emu steve Wrote:3). I believe Army has a tie-in (????) with the Congressional Bowl. Isn't it a rotational thing - like Navy, Army, Navy, etc.

The value of that tie-in is, at best, marginal.
10-24-2008 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Falconfreak Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BOWLING GREEN
I do not want to see BG moved back to the West. We started in the East, moved to the West and then moved back after Marshall and UCF left. BG should remain in the East...period. Let someone else move if there is another chance.
10-24-2008 02:02 PM
Arrohead Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
Falconfreak Wrote:I do not want to see BG moved back to the West. We started in the East, moved to the West and then moved back after Marshall and UCF left. BG should remain in the East...period. Let someone else move if there is another chance.

Don't blame you for not wanting to be in the west. That division is brutal!
10-24-2008 02:33 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
But we agree getting Navy would be sweet, right?
10-24-2008 04:45 PM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
OZoner Wrote:But we agree getting Navy would be sweet, right?

If we only got Navy, I wouldn't mind. If we got them for FB only, then we don't have to worry about Temple's status. I can see that scenario creating some problems for Army, though. You would see them scramble to find a conference, or possibly drop to D-1AA, leaving Notre Dame as the sole remaining Independent, which would be interesting to see how that plays out.
10-24-2008 05:22 PM
Heisman

Since a presdent is being set, can MAC move Championship to 2nd week in Dec., extra week & Sat night could fill up stadium
10-24-2008 07:15 PM
Heisman

one thing I disagree with BGSU'87, C-USA was much stronger conf with [Louv,Cin,USF,TCU] when Army was there & they were over thier head. C-USA also lucked out when ESPN cut thier contract & opened up CSTV.
Army will not be easy get, Army-Navy & maybe ESPN classic TV contract will remain seperate
10-24-2008 07:21 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American
templefootballfan Wrote:one thing I disagree with BGSU'87, C-USA was much stronger conf with [Louv,Cin,USF,TCU] when Army was there & they were over thier head. C-USA also lucked out when ESPN cut thier contract & opened up CSTV.
Army will not be easy get, Army-Navy & maybe ESPN classic TV contract will remain seperate

I think you are on spot here. There is very little incentive for Army to join the MAC.
10-25-2008 12:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.